Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OtterMommy

S01.E03: Take Me as I Am, Whoever I Am

Recommended Posts


Well, this one is a roller-coaster ride, which I guess might be intentional given the overall theme. I really hated the opening bit, to the point that I had to turn it off and walk away for ten minutes before deciding whether to continue or not. After I got through the musical number, I kind of really liked it for a while. Then I couldn't stand it again, and very nearly paused it again before deciding to soldier on.  And then, because I'm in the end I'm a mark for Hathaway being emotional, it very nearly made me cry. And then I kind of didn't like the ending too much.

Is this what being bipolar is like, condensed into a 30 minute film?

Overall I'd give it a positive review, but I wish it had been better, and felt less like a PSA for mental health care. And I kind of think that a lot of it was done better over in CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND over the years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This episode was such a downer. Bipolar sucks, but I felt bad for the guy who didn’t know what he did wrong. It wasn’t fair to him and he seemed so sweet. I’m so glad she finally confided in her friend (who was awesome) and got some help, but I still felt sad at the end.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I felt like the playing around with genre--musical/Mary Tyler Moore show--was a blatant ripoff of Crazy Ex GF.  But Hathaway did win me over.  As was the case with Friends, I also found myself wondering where she got that amazing apartment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/20/2019 at 8:32 AM, Alexander Pope said:

I felt like the playing around with genre--musical/Mary Tyler Moore show--was a blatant ripoff of Crazy Ex GF.  But Hathaway did win me over.  As was the case with Friends, I also found myself wondering where she got that amazing apartment.

Yeah, especially with not being able to hold down a job.

This one was meh for me. I knew she was bipolar from the beginning and thought it was messed up how she wasn’t disclosing it people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/19/2019 at 1:25 AM, BobH said:

Well, this one is a roller-coaster ride, which I guess might be intentional given the overall theme. I really hated the opening bit, to the point that I had to turn it off and walk away for ten minutes before deciding whether to continue or not. After I got through the musical number, I kind of really liked it for a while. Then I couldn't stand it again, and very nearly paused it again before deciding to soldier on.  And then, because I'm in the end I'm a mark for Hathaway being emotional, it very nearly made me cry. And then I kind of didn't like the ending too much.

I'm with you.  I was so annoyed by the first scenes in the grocery store, I almost shut it off.  I said out loud, "If Anne Hathaway is going to be this manic for the whole episode, I just can't."  I did stick with it, and even though I didn't love (or even like) the "love" story overall, I did appreciate the acting by the not-boyfriend & coworker characters.  I also appreciated the look into bipolar disorder.  I don't know how accurate it was, but I never really understood how deep the depressive valleys could get for some people.  I could feel the weight of her suffering...the inability to move, to function, etc. was informative.  I guess the ultra bright, giddy, musical interstitials juxtaposed with the dark vignettes of the character's "coping timeline" made artistic sense.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought that was quite interesting, and AH did a really good job at selling the over the top mania and the slumping depression. I wonder if the love in this episode was about Lexie loving her friend she confided in, for finally loving herself, and all the parts that make her her, even the parts she doesent fully understand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I know it's just a dramaturgical device -- at least I hope it is -- but imagine reading the personal ads and actually coming across that 8000-word, oversharing profile.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I had read some people complaining about AH and overacting so I was hesitant to start this one, but I ended up loving it.  I thought she was great!  The musical numbers was a choice I don’t know that I would have made, but it did sell the manic part of her disease, perhaps better than words could.  It was sad, but her friend was awesome.  I assume Jeff was one of the people she called to apologize.  I hope she found someone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I had read some people complaining about AH and overacting so I was hesitant to start this one, but I ended up loving it.  I thought she was great!  The musical numbers was a choice I don’t know that I would have made, but it did sell the manic part of her disease, perhaps better than words could.  It was sad, but her friend was awesome.  I assume Jeff was one of the people she called to apologize.  I hope she found someone.

I didn't read any episode summaries in advance so I had no idea what the plot of each would be. But the second she started waxing on and on about peaches and the whole grocery store musical number, I knew she was bipolar.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The scene in the bathroom, when she was getting ready for Jeff to come over and then felt her depression setting in... that was brutal.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/14/2019 at 3:55 PM, ErinV said:

The scene in the bathroom, when she was getting ready for Jeff to come over and then felt her depression setting in... that was brutal.

That was one of only 2 scenes that really worked for me in this ep. It was fantastic and Anne Hathaway was great in it.

After having rolled my eyes through most of the ep, what with it being a poorly done rip-off of the superior Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, I'll admit her telling her friend and my realization that the love story was about that made me a bit teary.

Share this post


Link to post

The part I found unrealistic was that she went out with him on the Thursday night date at all.  To be that far down the rabbit hole there’s no way she would have gotten out of bed to socialize.  You can’t even bathe yourself at that stage, and the last thing you want to do is be around other people in public.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size