Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OtterMommy

S01.E01: When the Doorman Is Your Main Man

Recommended Posts

Quote

"Ours was a common and unsung friendship, that between women living in New York, single and alone, and the doormen who take care of them, acting as gatekeepers, bodyguards, confidants and father figures."

Share this post


Link to post

I guess it's because I watch much more in thrillers and horror than I do romantic comedy, but I spent most of the episode expecting things to break bad in some way. I think they invited that with some of the framing early on, especially the sniper sights in one scene.

It was pretty good, sort of a striped down Nora Ephron film, taking out all the supporting characters and subplots. And most of the comedy, unfortunately. The lead role was definitely someone Meg Ryan would have been playing twenty five years ago. Pretty solid, I'd have liked it if it was just one aspect of a longer film with all the usual Ephronisms.

Share this post


Link to post

A sweet story. I cried at the end. Loved the casting. I hope the rest of the series is this sweet, nice way to spend 30 minutes and I love me some NYC porn! 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

That was a really sweet story, and I love Cristin Milioti so it was great seeing her here. I wasnt totally sure what this show would be, but I think its going to be really lovely. Plus, I love seeing lots of NYC locations!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, sadie said:

A sweet story. I cried at the end. Loved the casting. I hope the rest of the series is this sweet, nice way to spend 30 minutes and I love me some NYC porn! 

I cried too! I thought there was something so sweetly moving about the episode, and the actors knocked it out of the park. It managed to strike a nice balance with the comedic moments too.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I loved this story.  

The first few minutes I was trying to figure out where they were.  Didn't look like the Upper West Side, but when I saw the Franklin Avenue subway station, I realized it was Brooklyn.  

I loved what he said to her at the end, he was never looking at the men, but looking at HER, in her eyes.  It was like she knew deep down those men weren't for her, but because she wanted love she was willing to accept that they were for her.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

When she hallucinated that he was in the delivery room I realized how in I was because I thought it was moving rather than really creepy.  I kept wondering why they didn't date.

And I also wondered where her parents were.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, car54 said:

I don't think I've ever seen the actor who played the doorman--but he was exceptional in this.

He made me wish I'd had a Guzmin to guide me through my 20s and 30s. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Aww, I loved this.  So sweet.  I was so sad when she was going to move, he was such a great father figure.  I loved that she came back with her new man to visit him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/19/2019 at 12:48 PM, Neurochick said:

I loved this story.  

The first few minutes I was trying to figure out where they were.  Didn't look like the Upper West Side, but when I saw the Franklin Avenue subway station, I realized it was Brooklyn.  

I loved what he said to her at the end, he was never looking at the men, but looking at HER, in her eyes.  It was like she knew deep down those men weren't for her, but because she wanted love she was willing to accept that they were for her.

Yes, I loved that part too! And his line about how tomorrow is a day that has never been touched. 

I’ve been watching this show while pumping breastmilk in the middle of the night (dear lord, I’ve watched so much Netflix and A Prime during these past few months) and when the last shot lingered on the sonogram, I friggin lost it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone explain why Cristin Milioti isn't a huge star?  Like staring in movies or the lead in her own show? She was great in this, she made her Black Mirror episode way better than it could have been and enough has been said about that last season of How I Met Your Mother. Even her weird 30 Rock episode was good. And she is hot so it makes no sense.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This sold me on the series - a perfect opener!  When he called for the cab at the beginning, I laughed and just knew we were in for a treat.  Lovely, lovely story.  I wanted to know his story.  We all need a Guzmin in our lives.  I hope he made a similar connection with others in the building.  I hate to think of him all alone once she moved.

Share this post


Link to post

I was instantly drawn in to this story and loved watching it all unfold. Really nicely done. I thought it exceptionally touching the bond Guzmin formed with the little girl. I'm so glad they went back home to NY to visit! I was so sad when she first said they were moving because I didn't know where that would leave Guzmin! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

When Guzmin asked what she book she read that day and instantly knew the random fact, I thought they were going for a romance plot.  

This was very sweet, it seems sad that they had to move away from Guzmin though.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2019 at 4:37 AM, Jennabelle88 said:

I was instantly drawn in to this story and loved watching it all unfold. Really nicely done. I thought it exceptionally touching the bond Guzmin formed with the little girl. I'm so glad they went back home to NY to visit! I was so sad when she first said they were moving because I didn't know where that would leave Guzmin! 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:36 PM, non sequitur said:

When Guzmin asked what she book she read that day and instantly knew the random fact, I thought they were going for a romance plot.  

This was very sweet, it seems sad that they had to move away from Guzmin though.

I loved this episode. The story was so different than anything I’ve ever seen before. 
 

At first I couldn’t figure out if there was relationship was supposed to be father-daughter or a budding romance, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn it was neither. It was a lifelong friendship of love. 

Share this post


Link to post

I am a bit late to the game on this. I finished “You” and was looking for something to binge before school starts again. 
 

Add me to the list of criers. And I never cry. I was so worried he was going to die before she made it back to NY.  Touching story and wonderful acting from the both of them!

Share this post


Link to post

My favourite part was when she came down to tell him about moving to LA and he said "Oh not again" (because last time she had other news to share). That was so cute, so funny, so sweet. I loved this episode - no judgement, all love.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size