Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Storybook Love

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What really made no sense about Kate's graduation is that it was at the community college but the entire storyline was about her getting her bachelor's degree. An associate's degree from a community college is not the same thing and would not qualify her for that teaching job. The whole point of her going back to school at the community college was to finish those last eight units so that she could get her bachelor's degree. The community college can't give her a bachelor's degree (there are a handful of exceptions but these community colleges are part of a pilot program offering bachelor's degrees that are not available at UC or CSU campuses and I highly doubt that Kate was planning to get a degree in airframe manufacturing technology or equine and ranch management).

You know those Pearsons, they can talk people into anything.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2019 at 10:27 PM, Kdawg82 said:

I never recall minute details about a day that happened 19-20 years ago.

I can recall details of my first day at nursery school. And my 4th grade teacher taking away the lead part in the play because I was playing with the fractions cut-outs when I was supposed to be listening to him (I was listening!). And bunches of other things from my life. But I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen 5 minutes ago lol!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 10/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, balmz said:

I expect  to get some hate for this but i wanted to say this

I find the nicky character boring and unsympathetic 

He caused the death of an innocent child, regardless of the fact he was made to fight in a war he didn't want to be in, he had the option to just leave and he refused, he should have just left for all the good he did in the war, additionally he should have just left the kid alone

Jack was right to cut him off for his actions

Additionally he is nothing but an annoying pain in the present, don't know what kevin sees in him or the other two, he caused his own problems and we're excepted to feel bad for him?

he turns down kevins offer to live in a place that isn't falling apart and leaking (I lived in a leaky place most of my life and would have loved to have somewhere that was well maintained)

he wrecks the VA's window and could have hurt someone and then expects kevin to bail him out but is still rude to kevin(he should be in jail, maybe that would make him grow up)

his drinking problem like the child and jack is his own fault and again we are suppose to feel bad for him 

he's just a pointless character who is unsympathetic and takes away from the show imo

just wanted to get this off my chest

Kevin really has s hero complex and is trying to save these vets to add meaning to his life. He is rich, handsome, and can charm anyone, yet is still miserable. He is also struggling with being a recovering alcoholic so he probably wants to help Nicky with that as well.

• Love 2

I feel Kevin sees Nicky as a piece of his dad and he is still with them. Nicky never had anyone to deal with what happened, he lost the child, his brother, maybe his parents, we don't know that yet. I feel his life in some ways was self punishment. I like the gruffness, Jack was way too preachy for my taste, but that is a personal thing.

Yes, Nicky did call him, bad writing in some ways but I feel he knew then he wanted Kevin in his life, not favors per se but that family he never had. If the writers think about it, Nicky should give Kevin the bail money back one day, he probably wont take it, but it would be more in his manner to write that in.

I partially dread tonight's show, because it's Randall and councilman, Jack with Rebecca's dad (ugg) and Toby and Kate out on a date (might be funny) I'd rather see the kids younger or Kevin now but next week seems more aligned to that.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2019 at 9:53 PM, TheLotusFlower said:
On 10/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, Neurochick said:

What's wrong with the hairstyle?  I think it looked nice on Tess.  Better than flat iron or relaxed.

Sometimes I feel this way too.  Then I'm like, "shit let's just enjoy this show and not worry about things like finances and how do these people have money to do blah blah blah...it's TV, not a documentary."  

At first I thought that Kate's reaction to her former boyfriend's picture was because he might have been abusive to her in some way.  But the show likes to mess with our heads because so many of us are hypersensitive to abuse these days.  

Sometimes I think anxiety isn't so much a mental illness as a reaction to the world around you.  Bad stuff has gone on since the beginning of time but most people never knew about it unless it happened either to them or someone they knew.  Today, we're aware of all types of horrors, that's why when I saw Kate's reaction t her boyfriend, the first thing that came into my head was, "he probably raped her."  

Read more  

I'm glad I somehow missed that comment about Tess's hairstyle.  There is absolutely nothing ugly about it.  It's a tapered cut on natural hair.  Like you said, better than flat ironed or relaxed (or otherwise straightened) hair.    

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having flat ironed or relaxed hair. It is no better or worse than having natural hair. I honestly thought this age old argument had finally died.

Where is Annie? I love that kid and think she's one of the most "real" characters, despite being so young...

Was it just me, or did Rebecca's wanting to make a lasagna on their first night in a new home seem like a manufactured storyline just for the sake of fitting in with the parallel dinner storylines? I mean, who on earth does that? You just order a pizza or Chinese until you have some semblance of sanity in your home, then you start "real cooking".

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Where is Annie? I love that kid and think she's one of the most "real" characters, despite being so young...

Was it just me, or did Rebecca's wanting to make a lasagna on their first night in a new home seem like a manufactured storyline just for the sake of fitting in with the parallel dinner storylines? I mean, who on earth does that? You just order a pizza or Chinese until you have some semblance of sanity in your home, then you start "real cooking".

Especially since Rebecca’s pregnant-She’d be exhausted!

• Love 2

I guess I could kinda buy the cooking.  I don’t feel like I am really in my new home until I take a shower.  Maybe for Rebecca it’s when she makes a meal.  Is cleaning the oven a first step when moving?  Each time we have moved the oven is the appliance we have always needed to replace right away so I haven’t had to worry about that.

Nice that Rebecca had an extra Cornish hen all cooked, like she knew her dinner for seven would turn into dinner for eight when Kate's Dearly Beloved showed up.

Why would not cleaning an oven set lasagna on fire? Was a dead possum in there too?

Jack opens the window and a pigeon flies in. What's up with people not having screens on their windows. Maybe in California there are no bugs, but in Pennsylvania you open a window and all the flies and mosquitoes come in. This has irked me on other shows where horses poke their heads into bedrooms and dogs jump out at night to go "do things." Put screens on those windows people.

I hated Jack chasing the pigeon with a tennis racket so he could smack it out of the air and kill it, then scoop it into the pillow case. Just open the freaking door and shoo it out, a-hole.

Kate's music boyfriend is being set up for some sort of tragedy. I hope he doesn't catch the blame for her being the raging beyotch she is now, almost 25 years later.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nice that Rebecca had an extra Cornish hen all cooked, like she knew her dinner for seven would turn into dinner for eight when Kate's Dearly Beloved showed up.

Why would not cleaning an oven set lasagna on fire? Was a dead possum in there too?

Jack opens the window and a pigeon flies in. What's up with people not having screens on their windows. Maybe in California there are no bugs, but in Pennsylvania you open a window and all the flies and mosquitoes come in. This has irked me on other shows where horses poke their heads into bedrooms and dogs jump out at night to go "do things." Put screens on those windows people.

I hated Jack chasing the pigeon with a tennis racket so he could smack it out of the air and kill it, then scoop it into the pillow case. Just open the freaking door and shoo it out, a-hole.

Kate's music boyfriend is being set up for some sort of tragedy. I hope he doesn't catch the blame for her being the raging beyotch she is now, almost 25 years later.

We have screens in our windows in California.  I thought no screens on windows was a back East thing, not including Florida, where bugs are everywhere.

I didn't pay that much attention to the pigeon scene because it was so stupid.  Did Jack hit the bird?  Was he bitten by it?

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

We have screens in our windows in California.  I thought no screens on windows was a back East thing, not including Florida, where bugs are everywhere.

I didn't pay that much attention to the pigeon scene because it was so stupid.  Did Jack hit the bird?  Was he bitten by it?

I think no screens on windows is a tv thing. None of the tv house windows have screens. So irritating.

The pigeon scene was never resolved. As far as we know, the bird is still in the house somewhere. Thank goodness he didn't hit/kill it, but I would have cheered if it had pecked him a good one, then flown into his hair and got tangled up, like in a Hitchcock movie.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What's up with people not having screens on their windows. Maybe in California there are no bugs, but in Pennsylvania you open a window and all the flies and mosquitoes come in.

Every place I've lived in California has had screens on the windows.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, suzeecat said:

Not sure if they still sell it, but back in the day Tupperware sold a container just for half-gallon ice cream.  It was awesome, kept the ice crystals from forming like, forever. 

thank you! we had one!

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, lucindabelle said:

Getting that vibe too. They didn’t need to put in a line about how he knew her address at all: time has gone by, for all we know he’s picked her up or dropped her off. So that was deliberate.

fhat said I didn’t take the “boyfriend” comment as a bad thing- to me it felt more like she doesn’t know if she can call me that yet and I’m letting her know it’s ok. 

I think the gesture alone could be taken different ways- it’s a little forward but then again he’s not wrong that this situation (twin comes home married!) is extreme and he’s trying to help.

But with hindsight if he does reveal to be abusive makes sense as well.

i guess they have to come up with some reason a slim kate with a nice boyfriend loses the boyfriend and gains so mich weight. I wish just once people would just grow apart etc like they do in real life. Not everything is the result of death abuse drugs alcohol...

I had the same thoughts. Finding out her address that way could be creepy--it could also be read as endearing. It all depends on other factors. Same with the boyfriend remark---her saying friend can actually be lack of confidence and he's telling her it's ok, we are dating. Could be a very nice moment. Or could be possessive. Need more info to know.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, cameron said:

I thought the Princess Bride song as a wedding gift was dumb.  She could have given them something better than that.

No one deserves anything for getting married; given the capricious way the two of them got married, Rebecca's gift seemed appropriate to me.

• Love 8
On 10/26/2019 at 11:56 PM, DebbieM4 said:

I'm from Long Island, and I remember it well.  We never sliced it, though.  I remember my parents scooping it out from the middle, the same as they would if it had been in any other kind of container.   You're right - The top never really closed properly.

We had the fancy Tupperware ice cream box - Don't think they make them anymore?

(edited)

Oh good grief, it's ice cream, not love.  The show has characters for whom eating has become problematic -- I'm guessing because of emotional problems -- then the writers shamelessly use huge slabs of ice cream as a metaphor for happiness.  Kind of a mixed message.

I thought this episode would never end.   Maybe it was the sheer number of quantum leaps between time periods and different characters or all the fucking speechifying but it seemed interminable.

Who the heck is afraid of birds?   Why does Jack have a tennis racket?   Doesn't strike me as the tennis type.  Rebecca possibly, but we have never seen her participate in recreational activity of any kind.   And why is it always construed as endearing when a woman on TV burns a meal on an important occasion?   It makes her look inattentive, inexperienced or incompetent, then seems to say, "Well, you're a woman so it's okay."  

I know the relationship between Rebecca and Miguel is said not to have started until she ran into him on Facebook, but come on ... He was maybe one glass of wine away from putting the moves on his best friend's widow.   That whole how-this-wine-is-made speech in the kitchen wasn't about assuaging her worries ... he was softening her up.

Anybody who has lived with anxiety or panic attacks must have been shaking their head at William's seltzer water remedy.    It should be that easy.   Except it isn't.   How ridiculous and what a disservice to the understanding of anxiety conditions.  

Speaking of anxiety attacks, that's almost what I get from Rebecca's singing except I have learned to fast forward through those scenes.  She's awful.  Pittsburgh and everywhere else awful.

I'd like to propose a different view on Beth saying Randall's whole self is about making sure everybody else is okay, like it's his altruism shining through.   I think Randall is an obsessive compulsive perfectionist.  I think he makes sure everybody is else is okay the same way another OCD person might not be able to sit down at a table unless the tablecloth is perfectly smooth and every place sitting is perfectly arranged.  In other words, I think Randall's concern for others is primarily a concern for his own comfort and state of mind.  He can't live with loose ends.

Edited by millennium
On 11/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, saber5055 said:

On 11/2/2019 at 5:11 PM, saber5055 said:

The pigeon scene was never resolved. As far as we know, the bird is still in the house somewhere.

I think you answered your own question.  😳