Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Go Getters Gonna Go Getcha

• Start Topic

Rhonda and Bets are my favorite characters on this show. I loved the complicated story Rhonda had about her hermit crabs and their band (and that she recorded them on the same tape that had Judd's expose about Obie).

RIP Roger - and just when he jumped ship. DAMN IT, CODY!

Louise looked unsettled when Obie said he wanted to make Krystal's family rich so maybe she will be the one who defects to Team Krystal next season.

I'm glad that Judd got his daughter back! Her mom was way too controlling (even without the FAM stuff).

I find it sad that even after Krystal told Cody that she doesn't love him, he chose to stay with her. Everyone deserves to be loved for who they are. You shouldn't have to settle for being in proximity to someone who doesn't return your feelings.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

just so Krystal can own and operate a theme park.  I guess some people really think small!

I'm guessing at some point in the future, her property could be purchased by either Disney or Universal? 

What did Obie say at the very end as he lay there in the ball-pit bath? Something about making Krystal rich?

I liked Roger's character and it's a shame he won't be back next season though, honestly, I'm not sure I'll be either.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I find it sad that even after Krystal told Cody that she doesn't love him, he chose to stay with her. Everyone deserves to be loved for who they are. You shouldn't have to settle for being in proximity to someone who doesn't return your feelings.

I don't find it sad at all, maybe a little pathetic just like real life. He chose to make a family with someone he loves and lusts after, someone who is willing to help him grow, someone who will be a true partner. Plus she is willing to entertain the notion that she might eventually come to love him. That's not only how many real-life marriages start, it's more than many real-life marriages have.

• Love 13

This episode was all that and more.

Except I am super sad to see the departure of Roger and Stan!  

I like ALL the characters.  The good, the bad, the ugly.  I can't really pick a favorite, but if I must, it might be Ernie followed closely by Bets - and Ernie and Bets togther.  Bets' speech to him this episode was smart and poignant.  I feel they capture the motions, thoughts, issues, etc. of a large swatch of the general public landscape.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 7

This episode was actually better then I thought it would be. The first 6 episodes were good then 7-9 felt rough to get through but this one tied up well. 

It is messed up that Krystal is letting people stay in FAM when she knows the truth but we have seen all season how obsessed she was with Splashercise so it fit. 

Cody stayed and showed more loyalty to Krystal in the end. Even when she dumped him and he knew the truth he didn't rat her out to Obie. He even helped her blackmail Obie. I  was a bit worried for a few episodes he may try to hurt her to protect Fam but she won.  

I liked the conversation between Cody and Krystal in the tub. They cleared the air and both know where they stand. Though I'm sure a part of Cody hopes Krystal may love him one day.  Who knows maybe she will grow to at least care a lot for him one day.  I did think it was sad and sweet when he said "I'm Yours".  He was sweet with Destiny as well. I like that part of Cody. 

Roger's death was crazy but a bit funny as well.  Now this poor Woman has his dead body in her backyard. Though if anyone finds out that will spell disaster for Krystal and Cody. 

Poor Ernie and Bets. I liked her speech to him. Loved when she was throwing toilet paper at Krystal's  home lol. Frankly I think she let her off too easy. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I still want to know why Roger didn’t wear shoes? Did I miss something? 

We never got the answer because he got shot by Cody first

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

What did Obie say at the very end as he lay there in the ball-pit bath? Something about making Krystal rich?

He said something about Krystal's family being out there somewhere and he wanted to make them rich. I assume not because he is being generous but as a way to get Krystal.

3 hours ago, Jextella said:

how did Mirta lose her finger?

I think she was high/drunk when it happened and that's how we knew she had a problem (before she was fired)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

We never got the answer because he got shot by Cody first

That I understood. I’m just wondering if anyone else is speculating why. My guess is that he doesn’t want to make a sound since he has been known to visit people for violent reasons. Perhaps rubber soles are too clunky or clumsy for his tastes. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:
10 hours ago, Jextella said:

how did Mirta lose her finger?

I think she was high/drunk when it happened and that's how we knew she had a problem (before she was fired)

IIRC, she was doing a story at work and was high, fell into a body of water and a turtle chomped it off. We didn't see it happen, just heard it from her coworker or someone.

I like the name of the new park: Krystal Waters.

I loved when Krystal took a hit off of her cigar and made a face. LOL!

• Love 8

So we had to wait ten episodes for this show to get good, apparently. It feels like the story never really went anywhere until this episode, and then a lot happened all at once. OMG when Cody accidentally shot Roger, it was hilarious and amazing all at once. I question the wisdom of where they buried him though, that lady's not going to live forever. 

I liked Roger's character and it's a shame he won't be back next season though, honestly, I'm not sure I'll be either.

I'm on the fence as well. I really like Krystal, Cody, Ernie and Bets, but Obie and the whole Fam organization are real turn-offs for me.

• Love 3

I wonder if Roger doesn't die.  He's such a wierdo and has some special wierd skills.  In one of the earlier episodes, he mentions he got shot once (in Cambodia, I think), but he started healing the moment he was shot and now it is just a scar.

That might be a bit far-fetched for my tastes, but then again, I liked the character and probably wouldn't mind.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Does anyone else feel like this is not a comedy?

Yes lol. I even said that a few episodes back that I felt like I was watching a weird drama. 

With S2 I feel I may just binge it. I said before this for me is something to watch at your own pace. Episodes 7-9 would have dragged no matter but at least I could have binged through them in a couple of days. The week to week made it feel worse lol. 

I am a bit interested to see what happens in S2 especially if anyone finds out what happened with Roger.  What if Louise finds out?  Does she know the full truth?  I assume Cody still works as head of security ? Does he have a new Fam role as well?  

I hope this show gets awards love though. 

I knew that a show that started with a guy getting eaten by an alligator in the first episode that this would be a wild ride, and it definitely lived up to that expectation! I thought this was a pretty great episode and I really liked this show in general. It was a kind of black comedy/dramady/deconstruction of the American dream filled with a lot of really great actors playing interesting characters, with a feeling of Florida sweat tripped over it mixed with some kind of weird true crime podcast. 

Interesting that Krystal and Cody are still sticking together, and that Cody actually stuck with Krystal in the end, despite his hero worship of Obie. Its kind of sweet, in a bizarre twisted way. He knows she doesent love him, but now that they know where they stand, maybe he can live with that. I did end up feeling sorry for Cody, despite how deep into FAM he is and how jittery and pathetic he can be. He is desperate for love and validation, as he clearly doesent get it from his family, and he tried to get it from Obie, and now Krystal. At least with Krystal, while she might not love him now, she could one day love him, which is certainly never going to happen with Obie.

Rhonda and Bets are probably my favorite characters, I hope that Bets speech to Ernie finally woke him up the reality of what FAM is and snaps him out of it. FAM is bad news and its not the way to fill the hole in himself. 

No Roger! And we never found out why he was so averse to footwear! Maybe they should have fed the body to those hungry alligators down the road?

• Love 7
On 10/20/2019 at 8:43 PM, ShadowHunter said:

It is messed up that Krystal is letting people stay in FAM when she knows the truth but we have seen all season how obsessed she was with Splashercise so it fit. 

I just can't get past this.

She brought Ernie into FAM and then she was going to expose it but instead blackmails Obie to get hers and basically let the grift continue.

So maybe by the end of the series she will expose it?  AFTER she gets her beak wet?

BTW is Dunst's accent convincing?  Or just a caricature?

• Love 2
On 10/20/2019 at 11:43 PM, ShadowHunter said:

Roger's death was crazy but a bit funny as well. 

It reminded me of Travis's - absurd, and a bit funny. (I fell the ENTIRE fuck out at Travis's death.)

On 10/22/2019 at 2:16 AM, scrb said:

I just can't get past this.

She brought Ernie into FAM and then she was going to expose it but instead blackmails Obie to get hers and basically let the grift continue.

So maybe by the end of the series she will expose it?  AFTER she gets her beak wet?

I read something that said that the show is about Krystal thriving within the system, not trying to topple it, so my guess is we'll see more of this kind of behavior.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:22 PM, Broderbits said:

I don't find it sad at all, maybe a little pathetic just like real life. He chose to make a family with someone he loves and lusts after, someone who is willing to help him grow, someone who will be a true partner. Plus she is willing to entertain the notion that she might eventually come to love him. That's not only how many real-life marriages start, it's more than many real-life marriages have.

Yeah. People marry people they don't love all the time. (I just finished reading a novel that was about the frailties of marriage, so it's interesting to have this conversation on the heels of that.) And it's not like Krystal HATES Cody; she's just not head over heels for him. Everyone does deserve love but sadly, not everyone gets it - and who knows, Cody and Krystal may form their own version of love/happiness that's not the fairy tale we're taught.

Edited by Empress1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, ShadowHunter said:

This episode was actually better then I thought it would be. The first 6 episodes were good then 7-9 felt rough to get through but this one tied up well. 

I felt more-or-less the same way.  I was excited by the first few episodes, but frustrated as it went on.  I think this would have worked better as a 10-part one-season-and-done, ala the individual seasons of Fargo.  By leaving the door open for another season, I felt they had to pad out the first-season story line and have characters do a number of things that didn't quite add up.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, Mindthinkr said:

That I understood. I’m just wondering if anyone else is speculating why. My guess is that he doesn’t want to make a sound since he has been known to visit people for violent reasons. Perhaps rubber soles are too clunky or clumsy for his tastes. 

My guess was he got used to being barefoot in the Vietnam jungles and never went back to wearing shoes.  

• Love 1

I love the set design/wardrobe on this show. I was in my early 20s in the early 90s, and every episode I've spotted a piece of furniture or item of clothing, etc. that my family owned.

• Love 1