Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: No Outlet

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

On 10/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, rainsmom said:

Kindred is hot.

Right! 

13 hours ago, Rambler said:

I am starting to get a little suspicious of Emily. She claimed to Jo that she didn't know much and only worked on a tiny piece of coding; however, when Jo first met with Augur, Emily was floating around the head honcho like she was a top level executive, not a minor coder.

Ugh, same. I really like her though so I hope she's not evil. As for her floating around Kindred, at first it seemed to me like she was just his assistant but obviously she's more into the company than that. My sister started to wonder for a second if she was perhaps Kindred's daughter but it doesn't seem like that now.

The literal second Emily and Chris shared a scene I was like, "I don't not ship it," lol. Another reason I hope she isn't evil.

I was super suspicious of reporter guy in this ep. But maybe I'm just hoping he's the person who turns out evil just because I don't want it to be any of the others lol.

I really love this show so I'm just waiting for it to either take a huge dip in quality or be cancelled soon. How are the ratings?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Jacks-Son said:

Nobody is shipping the reporter and Jo??  We've got Chris and Emily already, yet no obvious shipping of those two?

I'd like to see them work together and be allies in dealing with the big bad (assuming this is Kindred and company, but maybe something bigger), but I don't see the reporter and Jo as a romantic couple, even if that is what the writers intended. Part of it is that I don't like the actor playing the reporter--I don't remember exactly why, but I also didn't like him in his role in The Mentalist. At least part of it is that he comes across as arrogant and intrusive (though I understand that reporters or investigators have to be intrusive), and he doesn't seem honest or authentic enough for someone like Jo.  He also doesn't appeal to me physically, though I know lots of other people think he is hot.

If I'm going to ship any couple in this, it would be Jo and her ex, who seem to be a great match and still have a lot of affection for each other. But I wouldn't want to see this or any other romance take time away from the main plot.  

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Nobody is shipping the reporter and Jo??  We've got Chris and Emily already, yet no obvious shipping of those two?

Like @Paloma, I'm not shipping anyone on the show, except possibly Jo and her ex. It doesn't feel like that kind of a show to me, for some reason. Plus, I am a staunch non-shipper. That is to say, I don't anticipate relationships - I only even consider them when they build organically in the show. Even when/if they have chemistry. Saves me a lot of disappointment.

• Love 6

Talk about intrusive reporters.  The Reporter on the show "Siren" actually kidnapped the subject of his investigation.  Talk about arrogance and intrusion.  Owain Yeoman wasn't as popular as Cho even though Cho was such a stickler. Cho always cracked me up with his deadpan humor.

The reporter (Ben) blew it by showing up at Jo's house with pastries.  Don't do that, it's creepy.  Don't be creepy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

The reporter (Ben) blew it by showing up at Jo's house with pastries.  Don't do that, it's creepy.  Don't be creepy.

That may have been the one thing I liked about him. Anyone can get in my good graces if they bring pastries, preferably chocolate.

2 hours ago, Paloma said:

I'd like to see them work together and be allies in dealing with the big bad (assuming this is Kindred and company, but maybe something bigger), but I don't see the reporter and Jo as a romantic couple, even if that is what the writers intended. Part of it is that I don't like the actor playing the reporter--I don't remember exactly why, but I also didn't like him in his role in The Mentalist. At least part of it is that he comes across as arrogant and intrusive (though I understand that reporters or investigators have to be intrusive), and he doesn't seem honest or authentic enough for someone like Jo.  He also doesn't appeal to me physically, though I know lots of other people think he is hot.

If I'm going to ship any couple in this, it would be Jo and her ex, who seem to be a great match and still have a lot of affection for each other. But I wouldn't want to see this or any other romance take time away from the main plot.  

I echo the comment that the reporter isn’t a good match for Jo. Part of it is the character traits he’s been given (intrusive, arrogant, high-handed) but some of it is also that the writing for the character is weak—the reporter feels like cardboard to me. Everyone else feels like a real person and he feels like such a cliche character type with no real depth. I also don’t see much chemistry between the actor playing the reporter (who I’ve never seen before) and Allison Tolman—she has much better chemistry with the actor playing the ex. Maybe that could improve if the writing for the reporter made him feel more like a lived in character like the rest of the cast, but for the moment....

• Love 3

TBH, I didn't really think Ben and Jo should be an item, I was just throwing that out there just to start some shit because there was the Emily/Chris early shipping. Ben does NOT seem to be of any interest to Jo, she has more chemistry with the nurse, Abby. I can ship them, but not Jo with Ben.  I'm not feeling the Jo/Alex (ex-husband) thing.  They've been there and done that and it didn't stick. Them getting back together is confusing to everyone.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1

I'm wondering why they broke up, I'm not one for shipping that much, but my own family got back together a decade after my parents divorced, and my parents were together until we lost my mum. So I wouldn't be against them getting back together in a TV show, depending on why they split. She doesn't seem to like him being around all the time, though. I don't see her with the other guy, either. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm wondering why they broke up, I'm not one for shipping that much, but my own family got back together a decade after my parents divorced, and my parents were together until we lost my mum. So I wouldn't be against them getting back together in a TV show, depending on why they split. She doesn't seem to like him being around all the time, though. I don't see her with the other guy, either. 

• A very common TV Divorce Trope in cop shows is that the cop/detective was all-consumed by The Job at the expense of nurturing the marriage relationship.
  • The other, more general, TV divorce trope is one party cheated on the other —also common IRL. 
  • The other real life cause of divorce (my situation) is money, that is, not enough to go around, and what there is not being used to support the family. This doesn't seem to happen as often on TV, but occasionally it is depicted in terms of a gambling habit, whereas in real life it can just as often manifest by profligate spending on boats and cars and trucks (typically by a husband) or online and other shopping (often the wife). Someone mentioned seeing Jo's ex in an expensive car, so that could be it, even though cheating and job obsession are more TV-typical.
  • Abuse/violence is another cause of divorce, which I assume is not the case here. 
  • Substance abuse/addiction could be considered a cause of divorce, but it would probably have to be combined with one or more of the above, especially Money. 

Thanks for sharing about your parent’s’ reconciliation, @Anela.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
16 hours ago, Anela said:

• A very common TV Divorce Trope in cop shows is that the cop/detective was all-consumed by The Job at the expense of nurturing the marriage relationship.
  • The other, more general, TV divorce trope is one party cheated on the other —also common IRL. 
  • The other real life cause of divorce (my situation) is money, that is, not enough to go around, and what there is not being used to support the family. This doesn't seem to happen as often on TV, but occasionally it is depicted in terms of a gambling habit, whereas in real life it can just as often manifest by profligate spending on boats and cars and trucks (typically by a husband) or online and other shopping (often the wife). Someone mentioned seeing Jo's ex in an expensive car, so that could be it, even though cheating and job obsession are more TV-typical.
  • Abuse/violence is another cause of divorce, which I assume is not the case here. 
  • Substance abuse/addiction could be considered a cause of divorce, but it would probably have to be combined with one or more of the above, especially Money. 

Thanks for sharing about your parent’s’ reconciliation, @Anela.

I don't get a cheating vibe from either of them, and money doesn't seem to be an issue given their nice homes (though in TVLand that doesn't mean much, since people on TV typically live in much nicer homes than one would expect from their jobs or high-cost cities). I would also rule out abuse/violence and substance abuse/addiction (again, not getting the vibe), so that leaves your first trope about being consumed by the job at the expense of the marriage. From what we've seen so far about Jo's understandable focus or even obsession with this case resulting in her making decisions that may put her family at risk, that could be the situation here. But this is a very unusual case, and it seems likely that most of her cases have been the more typical small-town problems that should not cause a rift in the marriage. So at this point my guess is that their separation was created by the writers for the purpose of domestic drama, and the writers really didn't think of a back story.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Paloma said:

So at this point my guess is that their separation was created by the writers for the purpose of domestic drama, and the writers really didn't think of a back story.

This made me laugh, and I agree. 🙂 

• Love 2

I really like the character of Jo and like how clever and quick witted she generally is.  However, in this episode as well as the previous one I'm surprised/disappointed in the lack of caution she had taken when dealing with Emily.  Accosting her on the street in plain view, going to her apartment more than once, and opening the "mystery" device on the street in front of Emily's apartment.  For an otherwise good cop and smart woman, Jo is reckless when it concerns others with whom she is not invested.

• Love 4

I just watched all 4 episodes in a row and I'm loving it. 

Maybe because I'll forever see Murray from Clueless when I look at Donald Faison (I'm keepin it real!) but I totally thought he was too young to be the leads ex-husband. Call me surprised when I looked up their birth dates and he's actually 7 years older than her!!!

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, saber5055 said:

That was so way OTT. The same thing happened to me when I was riding with a friend. I just said, "Oh, stop, there's a turtle," and she stopped, I got out and moved the turtle off the road. No big drama. I didn't get why the show had to make it like Piper was stopping the car from exploding or something.

The way I took it was that Piper freaked out and the audience was supposed to think it was from seeing her "old neighborhood" and refusing to go back, but it turned out to be just a turtle in the road that she wanted to save. I don't think she had any memories of her old neighborhood. If she did, she did a good job of masking it. I assumed that's why Jo wanted Mia to stay with Alex. She didn't want Mia around if Piper got too OOC.

16 minutes ago, Paloma said:

It looks like Episode 5 will not air until October 29--can anyone confirm or know why? A 2-week gap in episodes this early in the season does not bode well for ratings.

1 minute ago, stealinghome said:

I’m guessing that they didn’t want a new episode up against Game 1 of the World Series? It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is on right now so looks like ABC is in general not airing their normal lineup tonight.....

Also, ABC is airing another interview special tomorrow night, pre-empting Stumptown, so it’s not just this show being targeted in some way. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

It looks like Episode 5 will not air until October 29--can anyone confirm or know why? A 2-week gap in episodes this early in the season does not bode well for ratings.

43 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I’m guessing that they didn’t want a new episode up against Game 1 of the World Series? It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is on right now so looks like ABC is in general not airing their normal lineup tonight.....

Also, ABC is airing another interview special tomorrow night, pre-empting Stumptown, so it’s not just this show being targeted in some way. 

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't miss an episode.

• Love 4
On 10/16/2019 at 5:11 PM, atlantaloves said:

Oh I love this show too, I can't get anybody to watch it. I love it, and I do not like sci fi at all, this is a good story.

I like this show a lot too but worry about the ratings and it getting cancelled, like you I don’t know of anyone else watching.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2019 at 11:56 PM, Jacks-Son said:

So, we're going with "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" or in modern terms, "Blade Runner".  I vote let Piper find out on her own, if ever.  Let the little girl have her dream family. Keep them all together and hopefully, Emily can stay alive.

I can't see them killing Owain Yeoman (the reporter) Rigsby is probably their most well known cast member after Terry O'Quinn, who always plays a weirdo and maybe Clancy Brown, another weirdo.

The "Robot Town" wasn't creepy to me. It was just an empty town.  It would have been creepy if they had a bunch of blanks walking around and pretending to be real people. 

The hard part for me is that logically, the people who are telling the sheriff to give up the kid are right.  Piper, despite looking like a harmless little kid can totally wreck her family if she were to get pissed at them. However, we all know "love" will persevere, and Piper will never harm them, or so we hope.

Hopefully Piper will be there to help and protect them.

• Love 2

Maybe one of them is gay.

(I don’t know why my comment ended up above what I quoted, I thought something looked off lol)

On 10/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Paloma said:

I don't get a cheating vibe from either of them, and money doesn't seem to be an issue given their nice homes (though in TVLand that doesn't mean much, since people on TV typically live in much nicer homes than one would expect from their jobs or high-cost cities). I would also rule out abuse/violence and substance abuse/addiction (again, not getting the vibe), so that leaves your first trope about being consumed by the job at the expense of the marriage. From what we've seen so far about Jo's understandable focus or even obsession with this case resulting in her making decisions that may put her family at risk, that could be the situation here. But this is a very unusual case, and it seems likely that most of her cases have been the more typical small-town problems that should not cause a rift in the marriage. So at this point my guess is that their separation was created by the writers for the purpose of domestic drama, and the writers really didn't think of a back story.

Edited by endure
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, endure said:

Maybe one of them is gay.

Having them divorce because of a change in sexual identity or preferences is another possibility, especially since we haven’t seen any sexuality expressed thus far to indicate otherwise. But that same absence of any PDAs makes me think the show is unlikely to include sexual orientation as part of the storytelling, even though, now that you mention it, having Piper identify with an outsider could humanize her. 
But I keep thinking of the creepy little smiles they showed her doing when no one was looking. I don’t know if those are red herring smiles or if Piper is going to be anti-human. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Having them divorce because of a change in sexual identity or preferences is another possibility, especially since we haven’t seen any sexuality expressed thus far to indicate otherwise. But that same absence of any PDAs makes me think the show is unlikely to include sexual orientation as part of the storytelling, even though, now that you mention it, having Piper identify with an outsider could humanize her. 
But I keep thinking of the creepy little smiles they showed her doing when no one was looking. I don’t know if those are red herring smiles or if Piper is going to be anti-human. 

It's hard to know with Piper how much she is aware of her power, it's presented so subtlety which is pretty creepy because you just don't see it coming.

• Love 1

My reaction to Piper blowing things up is "OMG if she ever gets teenage angst.

I think Owain Yeomaan is much hotter with his real accent.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, rainsmom said:

I think that's the issue. She's neurotic about building things because it's what she was built to do. She talked about "disappearing into the code." Yeah, because that's literally what happens.

I have ADHD and hell for me would be to be stuck in a cabin with no electronics or Wifi, nothing to do and no one to talk to. Disappearing into the code sounds like hyperfocusing. Trying to build something was a clever thing to do.

• Love 3