Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Missing Child

• Start Topic

On 10/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, PityFree said:

Michaela only decided to “go to school” because she knows it will put off having to get a job... She will do whatever it takes to continue sleeping in past 9 AM and not working.

Every time I hear McKayla say she's going to have to get an "actual job," I laugh my ass off, while simultaneously shaking my head and rolling my eyes.  That child will never hold a job, actual or otherwise  - of that, I'm 100% sure. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:01 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Rilah was acting like the bitch of the century, yes... Anthony shouldn't have impregnated her.  By not giving her that ring, he is bringing an innocent child into a broken home.  From what I've seen, Rilah isn't just a total loser, like Matthew.  I would like to see him put a ring on it, get married, try, and then if it doesn't work out, get divorced.  

I'm not sure making more really poor life choices is the wisest plan of action for these two...  'Bad decision' + 'bad decision' = "everything is great now' is really just not how any of this works.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

But what I don't get is that when Caelen and Shelley have been on the show in the past, Caelen didn't say anything about going to a lawyer or filing for an emergency pro se hearing.

Why didn't Caelen lawyer up then?  Or way before then?

I think he's too passive and scared, and I don't respect that.  Either fight for your kids til the end, or, I dunno, if you are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that you cannot work this out and all the forces are against you, think about relinquishing paternity.

Just a little critical thinking is all it takes. You don't have to do it alone either, nor do you have to have deep pockets.  Here you go Caelen.  https://www.justia.com/lawyers/ohio/salem/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services. You're welcome.

I don't think we can infer something isn't happening because Caelen isn't shown talking about it on the show.  As to why Caelen didn't immediately retain counsel, my guess would be that he was hopeful for a while that he and McKayla would reconcile, and custody actions are expensive

Regarding his options, it's total myth that a parent can "turn back in," so to speak,  his/her rights and responsibilities just because he decides he doesn't want them anymore  To divest a child of the right to support from a parent and potentially place the support burden on the state is considered "against public policy, " and is only done if there is another person standing by to assume that legal role (e.g. step parent adoptions) or involuntarily by the state if the parent is deemed permanently unfit. So, here you go - enjoy those fun facts, brought to you while I should actually be practicing law (and by that I mean, working), rather than using my law degree to comment on trashy tv shows.  And you're welcome. (-;

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Every time I hear McKayla say she's going to have to get an "actual job," I laugh my ass off, while simultaneously shaking my head and rolling my eyes.  That child will never hold a job, actual or otherwise  - of that, I'm 100% sure. 

oh, I thought she said, "I'l have to get an actual job.." then looked at her grandparents, expecting them to say, "of course not, don't be ridiculous!"  yet they didn't.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I'm not sure making more really poor life choices is the wisest plan of action for these two...  'Bad decision' + 'bad decision' = "everything is great now' is really just not how any of this works.

I'm not sure I implied that "everything" would be "great" if Rilah and Anthony were to get married.  In fact, I wrote that if things didn't work out, they could divorce, which I thought would be sufficient to disabuse anyone of the notion that I thought a ring would equal happily ever after.

If I may elaborate, I don't believe in solutions as much as I believe in incremental trade-offs, and I have stated that it's my opinion that the better option for the child would be for Rilah and Anthony to wed, based on the footage we've seen.  I'm fine with any disagreement anyone may hold, but the above is not so much a disagreement of opinion as a mischarichterization of my opinion, so I saw fit to clear that up.

40 minutes ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I don't think we can infer something isn't happening because Caelen isn't shown talking about it on the show.  As to why Caelen didn't immediately retain counsel, my guess would be that he was hopeful for a while that he and McKayla would reconcile, and custody actions are expensive

Regarding his options, it's total myth that a parent can "turn back in," so to speak,  his/her rights and responsibilities just because he decides he doesn't want them anymore  To divest a child of the right to support from a parent and potentially place the support burden on the state is considered "against public policy, " and is only done if there is another person standing by to assume that legal role (e.g. step parent adoptions) or involuntarily by the state if the parent is deemed permanently unfit. So, here you go - enjoy those fun facts, brought to you while I should actually be practicing law (and by that I mean, working), rather than using my law degree to comment on trashy tv shows.  And you're welcome. (-;

It appears you are pleading in the alternative as it relates to Caelen.  On one hand you're saying we can't infer that Caelen didn't get a lawyer, yet you are supplying a reason why he opted not to retain counsel, which is interesting.

I explained why I believe the only rational option I have as a television viewer is to form opinions based off the four corners of the show, and to do otherwise would be an exercise in futility for me, so I have inferred that Caelen was not seeking legal counsel at the time this was filmed, and I stand by my inference based on the footage.  I am perfectly fine if others want to seek extrinsic evidence.  I'm just not terribly interested in it.

To quote the great scholar Austin Powers, it's just "not my bag, baby" to do that extra legwork when I watch a TV show.  As I've stated, I'm already sour and bitter and disagreeable about the fact that this show eats into my Sunday night NFL viewing, and I can't DVR it for Monday night, otherwise I would be deprived of my ability to discuss it with you fine people on Monday, so I'm content exactly where I am.

It's not "a total myth"--it's not a myth at all--it's actually a fact that a parent can relinquish paternity in Ohio.  I never said Caelen wouldn't be financially responsible for his offspring; I merely stated that it's an option not to father the children, and an option he might consider if things continue to be as bleak as they appear.  https://legalbeagle.com/8636617-motion-terminate-parental-rights-ohio.html

Thank you for your opinion, and have a blessed day 😀

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I'm not sure I implied that "everything" would be "great" if Rilah and Anthony were to get married.  In fact, I wrote that if things didn't work out, they could divorce, which I thought would be sufficient to disabuse anyone of the notion that I thought a ring would equal happily ever after.

If I may elaborate, I don't believe in solutions as much as I believe in incremental trade-offs, and I have stated that it's my opinion that the better option for the child would be for Rilah and Anthony to wed, based on the footage we've seen.  I'm fine with any disagreement anyone may hold, but the above is not so much a disagreement of opinion as a mischarichterization of my opinion, so I saw fit to clear that up.

I agree that a two parent household is the gold standard as far as the ideal environment in which to raise children, but only if the parents have a healthy relationship. And a marriage entered into by two teenagers because of an accidental pregnancy doesn't seem likely to be healthy. Also, I can't wrap my head around the idea of marriage being something you enter into with the thought that you'll try it out and just get divorced later if it doesn't work. Removing any moral/religious values from consideration, on a practical level, divorcing is not always that easy. 

It's not "a total myth"--it's not a myth at all--it's actually a fact that a parent can relinquish paternity in Ohio.  I never said Caelen wouldn't be financially responsible for his offspring; I merely stated that it's an option not to father the children, and an option he might consider if things continue to be as bleak as they appear.  https://legalbeagle.com/8636617-motion-terminate-parental-rights-ohio.html

No parent can be forced to exercise visitation, of course.  However, choosing not to see your child is vastly different from "relinquishing" parental rights. And glancing at the form you link to, it appears to specifically state it's for use in adoptions or when the state involuntarily terminates a parent's right - which are, generally speaking, the only two situations in which that's permissible.  I might not have been clear when I was trying to explain that in my previous post, but we appear to be saying the same thing. (-:

Thank you for your opinion, and have a blessed day 😀  My apologies, as I think my previous post might have been perceived as a personal attack, as that was not at all my intent.  This silly shitshow is too stupid to take seriously, IMHO, meaning all snatk resulting therefrom should be in the spirit of good natured fun. (-:

• Love 4
On 10/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, heatherchandler said:

I agree with you, I think it's weird. 

Do we know anything about this guy?  I am sure he is in it for his 15 minutes, otherwise I don't know why anyone would want to date her.

Because chances are, he's probably never seen her with the kids. She probably leaves them at home with grandma and grandpa and goes out to have fun and be the teenager she thinks she deserves to be.  So this new kid is living in fantasy land because he's not seeing Makayla as the teenage mom she actually is.  Or he's another Max that is super excited to get his girlfriend pregnant and soon as possible and start the family he never had. 

• Love 4

Folks, this is a reminder to be civil to other members as well as a reminder that all opinions about these unwed teenagers who neglected to use birth control are welcome. Opposing opinions about the people on the teevee  are not considered personal attacks. 

Want to punch Mckayla in the mouth. She has a one month old and a toddler and she announces she is getting up at 9 a.m. to curl her hair? Who is gonna get up with the babies? Guarantee Gracielynn whatever her name is wakes several times a night and Timmy is prob up at the crack. She is entitled, spoiled, selfish and lazy AF.

• Love 17

My favorite scene ever:

Anthony ruminating on proposing to Rilah, his hand on the ring in his pocket, gazing into the distance and pondering his future. As he summons up his courage...Rilah starts barking at him, accusing him of being boring and demanding he "just talk!"

No proposal, how shocking.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

My favorite scene ever:

Anthony ruminating on proposing to Rilah, his hand on the ring in his pocket, gazing into the distance and pondering his future. As he summons up his courage...Rilah starts barking at him, accusing him of being boring and demanding he "just talk!"

I would love to see her face when that scene airs.🤦🏾‍♀️

Edited by Brooklynista
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

My favorite scene ever:

I was just so relieved that he didn't go through with it. I was worried he'd ignore her verbal and abuse and carry on because he's on camera. 

• Love 8
On 10/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, Giant Misfit said:

My god, do other teen boys really have a desire to involve themselves with a girl WITH TWO CHILDREN?! 

No, they don’t want to get involved, they’re just looking for a sure thing. Kids that age have some pretty retro ideas about sexual freedom. There’s a guy out there who thinks she’s a slut and likely not going to make him work very hard to get the goods, or he thinks she’s not in a position to be picky, or he has delusions of being a hero and rescuing her from all the bad people who are so mean to her pwecious wittle princess self.

• Love 2