Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Aira Wireless Charging Pad, Baobab Polo Shirts, Squid Socks, Eterneva Diamonds

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Kinda interested in the shirts but $98 seems high. I haven't purchased a man's polo in awhile, tho. Is $98 way off target? I also wondered if they could have added a pocket.

The cremains------>diamonds isn't new so I guess their customer service is(?). I would have liked to know why it took 10 months.

No cryers! Hurrah!

• Love 4

I guess Lori doesn't have kids.  When she grabbed at the sock on the toddler and it didn't come off, she yanked on it really hard.  The Dad said something like "Don't break her leg; its a real baby, you know!" LOL

I liked Kevin's response near the end.  The sock lady was scared Kevin would hate her company, but he told her that she shouldn't take it behind the barn and shoot it, because she had a really, really good idea and product.  That was nice.

$98 for a Polo shirt is what they sell at places like Nordstroms, so if the quality is there, they should be able to make a go of it.  I prefer the $9 versions that are sold at Target and Wal Mart myself.  I can go through 10 bacon collars and still break even on the deal!

I like to consider myself a fairly savvy guy, but that negotiating Mark was doing at the end with the cremation people had my head spinning.  He was throwing numbers out so fast I had no idea what was going on.  I think I can see how he sold that website company for $10 billion.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I guess Lori doesn't have kids.  When she grabbed at the sock on the toddler and it didn't come off, she yanked on it really hard.  The Dad said something like "Don't break her leg; its a real baby, you know!" LOL

I was wondering how uncomfortable it would be for a baby to be wearing a sock that is practically glued to his leg. If you want the kid to keep his socks on, put a shoe on him, too. Problem solved.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
16 hours ago, rhys said:

Kinda interested in the shirts but $98 seems high. I haven't purchased a man's polo in awhile, tho. Is $98 way off target? I also wondered if they could have added a pocket.

My husband wears polo shirts to work every single day and I wash them, so I know all of the problems of which they spoke, lol.  When they said $98 - yikes.  That's $98 USD, which is even more yikes.  I would never pay that kind of money for a polo shirt or even a dress shirt.  We're not starving, but part of the reason for that is that we have a ceiling that we'll pay for certain clothing items and if I'm forking out the equivalent of $130 CAD for a shirt, I expect it to rub my back at the same time.  😃

The diamond thing was kind of cool, and again, not just for remembering a deceased person, but as Mark said, you could take a sample of your child's hair and make a beautiful piece of jewelry for mom.  But they were really expensive.  Those were prices that seemed to exceed the costs of what you'd pay for real diamonds - these are synthetically grown.

The chargers seemed pretty cool.

The socks.  I have to say, the countless times I would pull of my kids' winter boots, and then go have to fish inside them to find the sock which came off too.  This was smart, and I think it would make an excellent new-mom gift.  However, I think the name "Squid Socks" was kind of crap, and they should re-brand it.  Lori saying that this was not her space - this seemed like the PERFECT thing to demonstrate on TSC.  But they went with Damon who was planning on licensing - so very interesting - they should do well, I think.

• Love 7

Oh thanks for the reminder about the charger. The guys were interesting weren't they, especially the inventor who was in Guinness (sp)? I'm curious to see if that pans out & wondering why they haven't heard of Mark's competing charger.

• Love 3

This episode raised an issue I hadn’t thought of before. Robert said something about investing in a competitor for the shirts. Can he take what he learns back to his company and have them do the same thing (any shark or any product for that matter)? I mean, assuming no patents. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

This episode raised an issue I hadn’t thought of before. Robert said something about investing in a competitor for the shirts. Can he take what he learns back to his company and have them do the same thing (any shark or any product for that matter)? I mean, assuming no patents. 

Thing is, once the episode is aired, lots of secrets are out there for anyone to take advantage off or exploit..... like those veggie chicken wings that were being sold for $22 and cost $2.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I was wondering how uncomfortable it would be for a baby to be wearing a sock that is practically glued to his leg. If you want the kid to keep his socks on, put a shoe on him, too. Problem solved.

As a mom, I can attest putting a shoe on a little one does not deter them.  It's not always about the kids pulling them off, either.  Because little feet are not fully formed and are basically little blobs, shoes and socks fall off easily ALL the time.  We lost many shoes and socks when the kids were little. 

16 hours ago, aemom said:

My husband wears polo shirts to work every single day and I wash them, so I know all of the problems of which they spoke, lol.  When they said $98 - yikes.  That's $98 USD, which is even more yikes.  I would never pay that kind of money for a polo shirt or even a dress shirt.  We're not starving, but part of the reason for that is that we have a ceiling that we'll pay for certain clothing items and if I'm forking out the equivalent of $130 CAD for a shirt, I expect it to rub my back at the same time.  😃

The diamond thing was kind of cool, and again, not just for remembering a deceased person, but as Mark said, you could take a sample of your child's hair and make a beautiful piece of jewelry for mom.  But they were really expensive.  Those were prices that seemed to exceed the costs of what you'd pay for real diamonds - these are synthetically grown.

The chargers seemed pretty cool.

The socks.  I have to say, the countless times I would pull of my kids' winter boots, and then go have to fish inside them to find the sock which came off too.  This was smart, and I think it would make an excellent new-mom gift.  However, I think the name "Squid Socks" was kind of crap, and they should re-brand it.  Lori saying that this was not her space - this seemed like the PERFECT thing to demonstrate on TSC.  But they went with Damon who was planning on licensing - so very interesting - they should do well, I think.

I agree with your entire post.  I wonder, though, if you'd end up saving money in the long-run as these shirts seem like they'd last longer.  But, yeah, it's tough to make that initial investment. 

I also agree that the price for the synthetic diamonds was really high.  I was trying to decide if I had enough ashes of my mom to get one done (I don't- she was split four ways with the bulk going to my dad who spread them) until I heard the price and then I was fine with just keeping the mini little urn on my dresser. 

I also hope they rebrand "squid socks".  Quite honestly, that does not sound appealing at all and I would most likely not look into purchasing those if I had littles based on the name alone. 

8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Thing is, once the episode is aired, lots of secrets are out there for anyone to take advantage off or exploit..... like those veggie chicken wings that were being sold for $22 and cost $2.   

Exactly.  This is often a point the sharks are making and why they frequently ask about patents. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I also hope they rebrand "squid socks".  Quite honestly, that does not sound appealing at all and I would most likely not look into purchasing those if I had littles based on the name alone. 

The polo shirt brand was also not great.  

In both cases, a lot of what you would be investing in is the brand.

• Love 1

I thought that the white polo shirt that the one guy was wearing looked ill fitting, especially at the neck. I think it would have looked better if he had had the zipper down a bit, rather than have it buttoned up at the neck. 

Both my hubby and I thought that the squid socks idea could be used for adult socks as well. We both have socks that don't stay up, especially if we are wearing boots. Dumb name, though. 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:18 PM, theatremouse said:

I do not know if this is why they called it that but the only connection my brain made to "squidly" and those socks is that when you pull on the baby sock and it doesn't come off...the shape and the movement remind me of a blooper, which is quite squid-like.

I assume they went with squid sock because of the little dots they put inside the sock look like the suckers on a squid/octopus... they were calling them squidy dots during the pitch.... 

It's still not an intuitive name....

• Love 3

I liked the name Squid Socks. It made me think of tentacles and suction cups holding the socks on a baby’s feet. And it made for a cute logo. I don’t need product names to be that on-the-nose. It’s not like “Bombas” means anything obvious. 

• Love 1

I just figured those squid socks parents called their kid "Squid," like some call their kid Beanie or Bug or something like that. I wondered if the socks were like compression socks, or socks for diabetics that stay on adults. I wonder how easy they are for adults to remove if the kid can't do it. And if they have squid tentacle suckers on the inside, do they leave circular sucker marks like a real tentacle would? Kidding, but still I'm curious.