Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Unicorn and the Catfish

• Start Topic

When Wade changes the password to his online dating profile because his friends become too involved, Forrest goes to great lengths to keep tabs on him. Grace and Natalie are torn when their favorite romance-themed reality show they watched with their mom returns for a new season.

Original air date: 10/17/19

I really am enjoying this show. It's the only new sitcom I watched past the pilot (sorry mixedish, Perfect harmony, sunnyside, and Carol's second act).

The cast is really great and has great chemistry with each other. I like how his daughters joined in and want to be a part of it, as well as getting in on toying with Forest. As someone who also lost a parent at a modest age, I enjoy seeing the camaraderie with the family and the rest of the group, even if 1 year is pretty quick to be forcing him back onto the dating scene.

• Love 15

I like this show a lot. It may not be a laugh out loud comedy and I guess that's disappointing to some, but it's charming and believable. I love Wade's relationship with his daughters. Tonight's episode was a good example of that. 

I hope this show makes it.

• Love 12

Forrest was so adorable in the office with his assistant 🥰 I wonder what his job is.

I did not see the "twist" coming but it was really cool, and I loved how Wade's daughters helped him. This show has so much heart, I feel like I'm repeating myself week after week but I just love it.

Also, even just in the first 2 episodes I too noticed that Delia can be agressive and dismissive of what Forrest has to say, but I thought that was just their dynamic as a couple. It is good writing that the show actually adressed that.

• Love 5

I, too, love this show and the main reason is Walton Goggins.  He's excellent in everything he's in.  He's such a sweet man in this show, and I want him as a best friend.  But that's not going to happen so I'll just tune in every Thursday and hope it ssurvives.  Love him in glasses.

• Love 5

[paraphrasing]

What is that? Is that a train?

This show is called “Passion Train.”

Ewww. Why are they kissing?

That’s the “Passion” part. 

Noah might be my favorite. This guy is cracking my caca up.

His delivery is absolutely on point. 

His facial expressions slay me.

I am glad that the writers are utilizing him well, but it does make me wonder if the three sibling actors did not audition and are just the offspring of the crew/producers.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Yes it was mentioned in the pilot they have 1.

Thanks!  It occurred to me when I watched the episode that I can’t picture which one is their kid (if they’ve been shown as part of the group).

Still loving this show!  Second whoever called it charming.  🥰

• Love 3

Ok, I seriously want Mark Burnette to make a real "Passion Train".  I would watch the $hit out of it!  *LOL*

Cute episode.  I was really glad Wade knew what Forrest was up to with the catfishing.  

Walton is amazing me with his natural gift for comedy.  I knew he was a master with drama, but this is so different from Justified, SOA, The Shield, etc.  I've never seen him in anything lighthearted before & I'm really digging him.  I'm digging the whole show. 

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode and this series is currently one of my faves.  The set up of a group of friends who are into each other's business to an unhealthy level is not uncommon in TV, but what is refreshing is to actually have a member that group try to set boundaries and be up front with the friends about needing them to step back.  They won't, of course, but I appreciate the fact that show is recognizing that maybe there is a healthier way to deal with this.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I really enjoyed this episode and this series is currently one of my faves.  The set up of a group of friends who are into each other's business to an unhealthy level is not uncommon in TV, but what is refreshing is to actually have a member that group try to set boundaries and be up front with the friends about needing them to step back.  They won't, of course, but I appreciate the fact that show is recognizing that maybe there is a healthier way to deal with this.

Individuals have voluntarily opened up their lives SO much in the last decade with so many forms of social media available.  

We literally invite our relatives, friends and perfect strangers "all up into our business" every day, so seeing a lack of boundaries between friends on a TV show is actually the new normal.  Maybe a little exaggerated, but I see loads of RL people in that place.  This show is making it pretty damn humorous for me, where usually I'm just annoyed at the OTT exaggeration.  

Well done, show.  *LOL*

• Love 6

I am really loving this show, its very sweet and fun and the actors have a great natural chemistry together. Wade and his daughters messing with Forrest was cute, they're relationship continues to be a highlight in general. And them watching the trashy dating train show...coming soon to ABC I am sure. 

I like how they use dating apps and social media (and how much everyone is in each others business online) for humor, but its not the "easy" jokes that you imagine a lesser show would make, and how they play the groups intense interest in each others lives both for laughs, and with sincerity. Its clear that Wades friends want whats best for him, and he knows that too, but it can be a bit much, and the show has been good about making it funny, but also having real sweet conversations about their concerns.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, leighdear said:

Individuals have voluntarily opened up their lives SO much in the last decade with so many forms of social media available.  

We literally invite our relatives, friends and perfect strangers "all up into our business" every day, so seeing a lack of boundaries between friends on a TV show is actually the new normal.  Maybe a little exaggerated, but I see loads of RL people in that place.  This show is making it pretty damn humorous for me, where usually I'm just annoyed at the OTT exaggeration.  

Well done, show.  *LOL*

I think what is different with this show from, well, every other show with the over-involved group of friends is that, with this show, it makes sense.  It isn't just a case of a group of people with boundary issues.  Instead, it started with a man who was not functioning and his friends who cared enough to step in and help him and his daughters.  And then it went a bit over the line, but that is what makes the show.  I also really appreciate that this show has differentiated between Wade's family (his daughters) and his found family (his friends).  

Yeesh, I never thought I'd find a show about healthy boundaries in a Kaplan-produced sitcom!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This is such a good show. I may not be able to watch live, and I may fall behind a couple of weeks, but I am surprised with how much I enjoy the show. Maybe because I don't need Laugh Out Loud funny for me to find it funny. It's a very charming show and I guess, if it can put a smile on my face, then it's all good in my books.

Wade is such a great character, and Walter Goggins is doing a fantastic job. I loved the twist that Wade knew that Zoya was Forrest the entire time. There is such sincerity with the characters that it's hard to not like them. Even though I was fully on Wade's side and thought that what Forrest did could have really ended up hurting Wade for real, I felt for him when Forrest found out the truth and was hurt right back.

I love Wade's relationship with his daughters as well. They could be annoying teens/kids, but they aren't. 

And I like them exploring social media and dating apps. This was a fun way to explore the dangers of catfishing.

• Love 6