Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Bates Club: Still Looking for Love

• Start Topic

Well good luck Esther Keyes whoever you are. Nathan doesn't strike me as a particularly nice guy. I think the chip on his shoulder has grown into a boulder since Ashley dared have the nerve to turn him down. You can see it in the way he talks to his sisters or talks about women generally. I mean I think he directly told Michaela that a particular wedding dress didn't look great and then told Tori (or maybe Carlin) that she HAD to wear her hair down for her wedding bc that's what guys like and then proceeded to argue with her about it!? Even Lawson seemed "surprised" at both of those things and it's not like he doesn't have the fundie man superiority complex in him but even he said -- uh you ALWAYS tell a woman she looks beautiful and whichever dress she wants is great, what are you doing??

Hopefully she's fundie or VERY conservative christian and not particularly well to do, so she thinks Nathan is husband material. If she is fundie lite and/or more well to do like Chaney, I can see it falling apart as she (or her parents) realizes he's a douchebag. I think it'll work out though -- if I'm looking at the right Esther Keyes on social media, she appears to have 6+ siblings, has older brothers who seem like cowboy hat toting mullet wearing loser types, and lives in the middle of nowhere Pa so likely she'll be ok in Rocky Top with a family of wannabe cowboy brothers in law and a rude husband.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Lawson's getting some pushback on the hunting picture. He responds with a condescending "Be blessed." People are saying they won't watch the show any longer. Kelly has butted in to say basically go ahead. She claims that they didn't approach UP, but the network approached them. She says it's no big deal if they're canceled. 

Tell that to the kids, especially Lawson, who relish the fame.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lawson's getting some pushback on the hunting picture. He responds with a condescending "Be blessed." People are saying they won't watch the show any longer. Kelly has butted in to say basically go ahead. She claims that they didn't approach UP, but the network approached them. She says it's no big deal if they're canceled. 

Tell that to the kids, especially Lawson, who relish the fame.

Bwaaahaahaa, no big deal? Ok, Kelly. She'll sell one of her kids to Satan before she gives up those free vacays, comped meals and product placement dollars. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I just looked up what Jesus said in my old KJV  Bates 2:4-6- "I don't care if you never watch my show anymore, who needs you? I do what I want so there". He probably said "neener neener" too. For ancient emphasis.

I learned that in VBS way back when so I can see where Kelly is coming from.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 8

The ratings aren't great to begin with Kelly. 

If the show fails, those boys will be sunk.  Someone mentioned this on the Season 9 thread, but the boys don't really have plans beyond the show. The girls had ways to make money, and the sons-in-law tend to be able to support their wives.  The boys do odd jobs for various people, but other than Zach, they don't really have steady jobs. 

• Love 3

Hopefully, the ratings will drop into the toilet. I realize that BUB is UP's signature show, but at some point the show is more expensive to produce than what they're getting from advertisers. UP has a lot invested in this show, so I don't expect imminent cancellation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Why is Lawson in Montana so much? I feel like it's his second or third trip there in a month or two. At first I figured it was a "music video" shoot for one of his songs though if it were that it'd been one two day trip and done. Yet recently he posted pics of G&K there with him and maybe this or last weekend G&K posted some pic thanking some presumably fundie couple for their hospitality. And that in that hunting pic he said something about how this wasn't sport hunting but clearing a ranch of some animal that was a nuisance to the ranch. Is Lawson courting/trying to court some fundie rancher's daughter up there so he's visiting, showing her dad he can work a ranch, and brought mommy and daddy to meet her and her parents?? I mean I wouldn't be surprised if it were a get to know you thing since Nathan is supposedly courting. I feel like Law will feel ok being 28 and single as long as he has another peer brother who is as well, but as soon as it looks like Nathan is settling down and even a younger brother like Trace is looking for a wife, then he'll feel he HAS to find a wife.

And yeah Kelly you may want to re-think your -- go ahead and stop watching we don't need you -- attitude. You know she's offended because someone dared criticize her precious Lawson. I'm sure she's like that with all of her sons but she seems especially obsessed with Lawson in that -- no woman will ever be good enough for you my most handsome son -- which she actually said on I Love You Day.

And uh yeah Kelly you DO need the viewers. Without the viewers you know what happens -- getting constant vacations bc they're comped goes away so get used to going camping 1-2x/yr if that; the constant free dining out goes away -- get used to Gil whining about taking you to a diner and whining more than you're not getting a soda costing $3 with dinner; you and your 1000 kids stop getting the newest iPhones, AirPods, Apple Watches etc. stops; I Love You Day is held at home and not in rented AirBnBs so start cleaning esp now that you have fewer unmarried daughters at home; I Love You Day goes back to spending $10 per gift, not the current $50 or $100; the trips that have you just getting up and going to NYC or Salt Lake City or Portland ME for some ridiculous engagement or wedding dress shopping go away as you will realize that buying flights at $500/tix isn't happening all the time; the Bates Sisters boutique goes away bc the only people who buy anything are hanger oners who know your daughters/in law from TV and they'll soon forget and find some other reality TV folks to support. So yeah while I'm sure you and your kids feel you have someone EARNED this "success" -- you haven't and it's media success which is notoriously fickle. The minute viewership drops, the sponsors go away so then the show goes away and guess what UPTV starts following some other family.

How naive can she be that she doesn't know that?? I'm sure she was PISSED at her baby being criticized and it's even possible that bc she's a talker it came out in front of some producer that's hanging with her family (as I think they're filming now). Chances are said producer was nice and said something about how much UP loves them blah blah. And Kelly takes that to mean -- OH UP NEEDS us, they LOVE us, they'd NEVER drop us. Uh Kelly this is some low level producer who is just being nice bc he's gotten to know your family. He's not the network head sitting in the executive offices in Atlanta who is making the decisions based on $, sponsorship and viewership. Said producers assurances mean nothing, I mean if the show were to be canceled, the producer onsite wouldn't be consulted -- he'd get a call, be told to pack up his $hit and oh look within one week he's off now shooting some show in North Carolina or wherever.

• Love 9

Kelly Jo can be as sanctimonious as she wants to be, but truth be told - Lawson posts are often in bad taste. He ignores the idea that people may not be the same as he is and tries to come off as knowledgeable when he comes off as a self-righteous jerk. I doubt that UP approached the family. It is more likely that the production company (filming) that also works with the Duggars and did the filming for the failed TLC show pitched the idea to UP and came back to the Bates with that offer. We all know it would be hard to give up that money. No more specially designed wedding dresses. Katie would be at David's Bridal. No more vacays that aren't mission trips. Honeymoons would be stateside and not to resorts. Gil would not be preaching only and would have to revive the tree business. Crown College would be down a few students, as there would be no money for that. Kelly Jo would have to go back to teaching rather than just hiring unmarried girls from the church to "tutor." There would be fewer dollars for Nathan to use to fly around his siblings. It would not hurt them at all, but it wouldn't be the life they are used to living. 

I am not an animal rights person or bleeding heart when it comes to animals. I don't have a dog or cat (highly allergic) and don't really get the whole pets thing on a personal level. I do respect people about their pets though, as I try not to make fun of people for loving things that are important to them. I am sure there are people out there who don't understand the things that are important to me. I appreciate that people (for the most part) don't try to belittle me or my interests in an effort to make themselves seem better. 

That said, I am squeamish and posting pics of a dead animal makes my stomach turn. I have cousins who hunt deer and post pics on Facebook of their latest kills. I immediately hide those pics.  I got blocked by Lawson for calling out his photos that were clearly faked and photoshopped anyway. But in my opinion, there are other ways he could have spoken about his experience with the coyote. A pic of the herd. A pic of him with the gun. A photo of both together. Then he could have written something about his experience living like a real cowboy in the west instead of the pretend stuff he thinks he does in Tennessee. Or horror of horrors, he could have left it out all together and just enjoyed being in a beautiful place. 

Kelly Jo, you can tell people to not watch or act like you don't care at all. The facts are that advertisers are paying your bills. If those advertisers feel they aren't getting enough return (eyes on the screen becoming buyers), UP will dump you faster than a girl with an ounce of self respect would dump one of your sons. I know people who work at UP. They have no interest in you personally, your lifestyle, your beliefs, or your holier than thou attitude. Their paychecks depend on keeping advertisers happy, and the only way to do that is keep viewers tuning in to watch.   

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Some sleuth on FJ looked up the family in Montana. They don't have any daughters of courting age.

I saw that too. There has to be some reason. Perhaps there is a girl who lives near that ranch. Think Anna Duggar. It's not like the Kellers had room for Josh, Jim Bob, and Michelle to visit other than the camper. So Gil, Kelly Jo, and Lawson could be visiting the "friends' ranch" while seeing, for lack of a better word, poorer family. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Did we know Lawson was hanging out with a Christian former contestant from the Bachelor?  I doubt she'd want to him, but actually a reality tv star would be a good match?

Is this speculation or is the name of the person known? While the bachelor gets Christians (even ppl who’ve said they won’t go all the way in the fantasy suite), can’t imagine anyone even close to fundie persuasion — bc they still have to be ok w women in short/revealing dresses, kissing, and you know giving away pieces of their heart since only 1 gets picked and talking about past occurrences of giving away pieces of the heart since they spend a lot of time talking about past relationships, what didn’t work for them etc.

7 hours ago, cereality said:

Is this speculation or is the name of the person known? While the bachelor gets Christians (even ppl who’ve said they won’t go all the way in the fantasy suite), can’t imagine anyone even close to fundie persuasion — bc they still have to be ok w women in short/revealing dresses, kissing, and you know giving away pieces of their heart since only 1 gets picked and talking about past occurrences of giving away pieces of the heart since they spend a lot of time talking about past relationships, what didn’t work for them etc.

There were pictures of them together. Her name is Heather Martin. 

On 4/30/2020 at 4:39 AM, Temperance said:

Nothing definite, but it would surprise me if Katie and this boy break up. They're so young and he has a few more years of classes. 

Quoting myself to say I accidentally typed "it would" when I meant "it wouldn't" surprise if Katie and this boy break up. Now more than ever I wouldn't be surprised by break-up. 

• Love 2
On 8/12/2020 at 3:27 AM, Temperance said:

Did we know Lawson was hanging out with a Christian former contestant from the Bachelor?  I doubt she'd want to him, but actually a reality tv star would be a good match?

According to the people.com article, they didn’t know each other before making the video. Unless a romance developed during the filming of the video, I think Heather is safe. 

10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

From the preview for next week, it looks like Nathan is the one with a girlfriend.

He was wearing one of those silicon rings in his ring finger on last night’s show and the previews. 

12 hours ago, floridamom said:

Nathan's suspected courtship/get to know you hint could be simply that he's desirous TO court. Could that be possible?

It could, but new courtships help ratings. Also he's 27. In the fundie world, that's age for settling down male or female. 

• Useful 1
On 9/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, luvbadtv said:

I don't usually listen to country music.  Can someone confirm my suspicion that this song is just not good?

actually, it's not half bad.  I think it's better than most of his other songs  What I'm more impressed with is the fact that he's cuddling up with a female in the video. They're, heaven forbid, TOUCHING!  😲

• LOL 4

And her boyfriend looks like he is 14. Even with Kelly and Katie pushing for an engagement I would hope that his parents would try to have him cool it for awhile. He is still 19 and in his 2nd year of college if this institution qualifies as a college. By the way does Katie work? She finished cosmetology school awhile ago. Josie had a job working in a salon and continued to work there even after she married. 

• Love 3

With Covid it may be difficult for Katie to find a job.  I am guessing most salons are still playing catch up and the stylists want as many bookings as possible. Probably not the time for a new stylist to add to the competition.  Also not sure what the restrictions are like in Tennessee, but even if they are fairly lax with the apparent second wave more people will be postponing hair appointments, and there are a lot who simply can't afford it right now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

With Covid it may be difficult for Katie to find a job.  I am guessing most salons are still playing catch up and the stylists want as many bookings as possible. Probably not the time for a new stylist to add to the competition.  Also not sure what the restrictions are like in Tennessee, but even if they are fairly lax with the apparent second wave more people will be postponing hair appointments, and there are a lot who simply can't afford it right now.

I wear my hair pretty short and go about every other month to get my hair cut and styled. That said, I haven't been since February. I have a compromised immune system and my parents are both cancer patients. I don't want to pass them something accidentally. However, I'm also applying for new jobs and interviewing. I have been curling my hair to avoid going to the stylist, but that only does so much. Eventually I'm going to break down and go. When I do, I'll be headed back to my regular stylist and not a new one. I don't want to have to go through the process of having to tell someone new what I want. I want a quick visit and the same style I normally get. In and out. No drama or risk. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

I wear my hair pretty short and go about every other month to get my hair cut and styled. That said, I haven't been since February. I have a compromised immune system and my parents are both cancer patients. I don't want to pass them something accidentally. However, I'm also applying for new jobs and interviewing. I have been curling my hair to avoid going to the stylist, but that only does so much. Eventually I'm going to break down and go. When I do, I'll be headed back to my regular stylist and not a new one. I don't want to have to go through the process of having to tell someone new what I want. I want a quick visit and the same style I normally get. In and out. No drama or risk. 

same here. have had two haircuts since march...most recently in prep for surgery. hoping to get back on the every 6weeks rotation as i hate the bushy messy look i end up with when i don get it cut.

This is the hills of Tennessee folks. Look at how the Bates have disregarded Covid warnings.. I imagine that salons are up and running. I am in the Atlanta area, salons have been opened since May with lots of restrictions. I have a feeling that Katie is not working because she wants to be free to go to NJ to see Travis as often as she can. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2020 at 9:43 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I have family in eastern Tennessee, and their experience is that most folks there aren’t taking precautions like wearing masks and social distancing. I don’t think that salons ever shut down where they are.

They did for a bit statewide. Some of the nicer and higher price ones are still using heavy precautions. However, the shopping center locations that have high turnover and less personalized service aren't really. 

My point was that many people, including myself, are reluctant to trust someone new (with or without experience) for any close sort of encounters with service. My doctor wanted to send me for tests that I asked to postpone for now. He told me I was being overly cautious about COVID only for him to come down with it himself about three weeks later.

It's kind of like those safe sex lessons that they used to make us go through in the 80s/90s. I may trust you, but I also have to trust everyone you've been around daily. Some people have no problem with that and are in a better position to risk it. Others aren't. Many salon owners (and other businesses) are a little reluctant to hire people right now who are new. A great selling feature of some places in the industry is to sell that trust factor. It's the same people you've used and known and we are here to serve you with these new safety procedures.  

• Love 6

Love how Law and Trace have been posting videos/pics for days re voting to protect their 1st and 2nd amendment rights, value of human life, religious liberties. They're a conservative family, I get it. They can vote for who they want. Yet I laugh when they go on about principles and constitution. Obviously they are old enough now to repeat talking points, but how much history and constitution did Kelly Jo really teach them around that dining room table? Like can they tell you the substance of any other amendment besides 1 and 2? Can they tell you anything about Patrick Henry or the Revolutionary War or the Emancipation Proclamation?

• Love 8
On 11/3/2020 at 4:13 PM, cereality said:

Love how Law and Trace have been posting videos/pics for days re voting to protect their 1st and 2nd amendment rights, value of human life, religious liberties. They're a conservative family, I get it. They can vote for who they want. Yet I laugh when they go on about principles and constitution. Obviously they are old enough now to repeat talking points, but how much history and constitution did Kelly Jo really teach them around that dining room table? Like can they tell you the substance of any other amendment besides 1 and 2? Can they tell you anything about Patrick Henry or the Revolutionary War or the Emancipation Proclamation?

A video to answer your questions: Lawson & Katie Bates quiz 5 year old Callie bates on random history.

So I guess it's confirmed that Lawson's gf is Tiffany Espensen (IG tiffypics). They are on a ski vacation now in Colorado (what pandemic - LOL - though I guess many/most of them have had it) and he's posting IG videos that she's in. Checked her IG and she is also posting Colorado videos. She lives in Ca at/near a beach, which explains why he's constantly in Ca at the beach these days. Her IG is followed by every Bates on IG and she posted a pic (without any of them) from downtown Knox at Tenn saying it was a Tenn Christmas for her.

She's beautiful -- she's Asian and adopted bc her family is white and she posted something celebrating National Adoption Day. Seems fundie/fundie lite bc there are a TON of Bible posts. I had a feeling he had a thing for Asians -- with all his time in the Philippines, I just had that vibe. I hope for their sake they settle in Ca. Though doing what exactly -- Ca. isn't cheap. But IDK an Asian-American in this family having to live in Rocky Top and see the Bates multiple times per week? I mean I can already hear Kelly/Erin/Whit/Carlin -- oh she's my Vietnamese/Philippino/Thai/whatever sister in law BUT she's great [despite not being REALLY American blah blah]. The only person that I feel would be genuinely nice to her would be Michael (and Josie would just ignore her since she doesn't want to hang with family all the time anyway). Plus adopted -- ugh Kelly with the sins of the father/her parents abandoned her nonsense to make the most secure person feel insecure. I mean she bullied Whit into reconnecting with her parents but that is likely impossible here as many adoptions of Asians coming to America are done with kids who live in orphanages -- they may not even remember having parents; it's possible something happened to their parents so they ended up in orphanages etc. But I can see Kelly trying to co-opt her into EVERYTHING Bates, all Bates holidays, traditions, child rearing etc. bc oh she never had real traditions. Uh yeah she did with the Espensen family that adopted and raised her -- but to Kelly that won't be her REAL family.

• Love 1

Well Josie’s Instagram stories yesterday talked about “ going on a family trip” and had pictures from the airport and a plane.  Maybe it’s one of those UP filming trips.  
She had a shot looking out of the plane window and it looked like a beach and blue water, not snow and mountains though. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe a trip with Kelton’s family?

I’m baffled.  They went to Oregon in the fall and now are traveling again.  He has had his own business for just a year or so.  How can he afford to take all this time off? Usually  small business owners have long hours and no time off.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

Well Josie’s Instagram stories yesterday talked about “ going on a family trip” and had pictures from the airport and a plane.  Maybe it’s one of those UP filming trips.  
She had a shot looking out of the plane window and it looked like a beach and blue water, not snow and mountains though. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe a trip with Kelton’s family?

I’m baffled.  They went to Oregon in the fall and now are traveling again.  He has had his own business for just a year or so.  How can he afford to take all this time off? Usually  small business owners have long hours and no time off.

I’ve concluded that the Bates, Duggars and Rods live in some alternate reality where there is no COVID, money grows on tress, and jobs are optional. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9