Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
PrincessPurrsALot

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

Does UP pay for the costumes and accessories? Otherwise, what a ridiculous waste of money.

Cute pictures, though. Carlin looks like Catherine Zeta-Jones in Chicago.

• Like 4

UP was filming, so they may have given the couples a stipend. They used the fellowship hall at Gil's church, so no added expenses there. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

13 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Roaring 20s is a fun theme, but I cannot get over the cognitive dissonance of religious fundamentalists dressing up as flappers, mobsters and bootleggers. One hundred years ago they would have been denouncing those people as destroying the fabric of America.

A few other pics via Brandon and Michaela's Insta:

I agree. Their Fundies aren't they suppose to be against all this? Why is okay for them to dress up like flappers, gangsters and bootleggers? Aren't flappers basically their worse nightmare when it comes to women? Women full of sin who smoke, drink, sneak off to speakeasys, and have sex without being married? Aren't gangsters violent "bad" guys who shoot up people? Aren't bootleggers horrible people who sneak in that terrible alcohol? Why is it okay for them to dress up like them?

• Like 6

I think most people now, 100 years later, either don't know or don't care about the history behind 20s fashion (and a lot of other things, really) and just think the fashions are cool. But, everyone is prone in their own way to accepting the parts of things that they like and ignoring the parts they don't like, so it's unsurprising if the Bateses are employing that technique here.

I did miss the part where 3-inch stilettos were part of the Gothard-approved wardrobe though. And bare shoulders. Of course Michael managed to make the look frumpy.

• Like 4

Michael reminds me of the Dowager Countess Violet (Downton Abbey). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 4

A lot of people, even fundies, pick and choose what they wish to adhere to according to religious principles. It doesn’t surprise me at all that they wouldn’t see the irony in their theme selection.

• Like 8

These people also all went to school around the dining table and read like no secular books. How much do they really know or understand about the roaring 20s? Do they really get prohibition or speakeasies or flappers? They probably were taught — oh the 20s were a great time in American history, money was flowing and people lived it up in their fancy clothes until the 30s when there was a depression and famine. Bet they don’t understand the underlying cultural issues — and its not like they’ve read the Great Gatsby or the like to understand it. Some combo of John, Bobby, Evan, Brandon, and Kelton who seem slightly more educated/culturally aware but I doubt they’re explaining it to their wives or inlaws who seem happy in their own ignorance.

• Like 5

It just goes to show how society's values change over time, and it really exposes the fundies' irrational fears of anyone who is different from them. One hundred years from now the Bates' great-great-grandchildren will be probably be dressing up as drag queens, and no one will blink twice.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

I know Erin was considered the beauty of the family when they were younger but she's morphing quickly into her mother. She looks so much like Kelly it's crazy. Michael and the rest of the bunch all are more attractive than her now IMO. 

• Like 2

Someone on Tumblr figured out that Kelton and Post Malone are born on the exact same day (July 4, 1995). 

Edited by Temperance

Josie is really pretty and has good style.  Kelton is dopey looking.

Its amazing how generally all of the Bates girls (Michaela being the exception) have pretty good style, some better than others.  While all of the Duggar girls have horrible style.  I think some folks think Jinger has the best style but she has nothing on the Bates girls.  Its surprising since you would assume the Duggars have more money being on the bigger network and having a show for longer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, VioletWitch said:

Katie has suprisingly short hair for a fundie. 

Which is Katie?

6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Which is Katie?

The one on the right with the whitish/grayish sweater. 

She's in or was in a cosmetology program. Most women in those programs will experiment a bit with their own hair to cut and color it. Josie's hair is just below shoulder length right now. She uses hair extensions frequently. 

• Useful 1

Is Willow going to be a redhead? If so, I wonder which side she gets it from?

Redhair is a recessive trait. She would need redhair genes from both sides. 

• Useful 2

On 6/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, BitterApple said:

Many of the Bates kids have been blonde when they are babies, toddlers and elementary school aged. Their hair grows darker as they get in their pre-teens. Josie and Katie were both very blonde in their early pics, darkened, and now both are back to blonde with some chemical help. Erin's roots and eyebrows indicate the same for her. Addallee and Ellie were also very blonde when they were younger. 

I point this out because I had a red headed great-grandmother and a blonde grandmother. I was blonde with a bit of reddish tint as a baby. I became mousy brown by the time I was 2. Both of my parents have dark brown hair (well when my dad had hair). But in the sun you can still see faintly reddish tint to my hair sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 6/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, BitterApple said:

I don’t know how it all works but my father had white hair as a baby which turned dark. Mine was red like a new penny and curly.  My mother saved one of my curls. Then later it turned very dark brown and stick straight. Now it is gray under the color with lots of cowlicks. So time will tell about baby Willow. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Wow, I have to hand it to Kelton. That's pretty awesome he started his own business. He seems to truly enjoy what he does.

• Like 9

On 6/19/2020 at 9:17 PM, BitterApple said:

Wow, I have to hand it to Kelton. That's pretty awesome he started his own business. He seems to truly enjoy what he does.

I agree. The starting the new business venture is pretty standard for the Bates and Duggars, but his seems to be a legit business with equipment, branding, truck, etc. As someone who just had to get quotes and pricing on a new truck wrap for two box trucks...it ain't cheap. 

• Like 6