Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Lanford...Lanford

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Ben really can't fire Darlene as it would open a can of worms regarding sexual harassment in the workplace.  Ending an affair and firing the person?  Just no.  One of the big problems with workplace relationships.

I really enjoyed this episode and was pleasantly surprised with how it all played out (well, except for Darlene letting Harris blackmail her).  It will be interesting to see where this all goes from here.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Ben really can't fire Darlene as it would open a can of worms regarding sexual harassment in the workplace.  Ending an affair and firing the person?  Just no.  One of the big problems with workplace relationships.

I really enjoyed this episode and was pleasantly surprised with how it all played out (well, except for Darlene letting Harris blackmail her).  It will be interesting to see where this all goes from here.

When I was 13 or 14 I caught my mom with her lover. I didn't blackmail my mom but there was always an unspoken threat.

• Love 8

I just rewatched the episode.... it really hit me how much what happened in therapy needed to happen, and how the end of that relationship is actually a new beginning.  A new beginning of what exactly is still up in the air -  my gut is still saying things will loop back around to David in the end but regardless, I’m just so excited for the journey we are on with the characters this season. 

Also I noticed the cars the guys were driving-  David has a Prius and Ben has a Charger I think?  Very fitting choices! 

• Love 11

I think all the therapy did was prove how suggestible and malleable David is, with any woman (or perhaps any person). He was even more gung-ho about getting back together than Darlene was until just a few sessions with that therapist, then all of a sudden he decides they should break up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I also liked that this love triangle actually ended a little differently than how many love triangles of this sort tend to end, with both choices just saying, "You know what, I'm done" and moving on instead of sitting around waiting for Darlene to make a choice. And I like that while there was a little bit of tension between the guys when they showed up to help with the tire, they didn't drag it out into some big, stupid fight between them. 

• Love 13
On 10/14/2019 at 10:11 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

This was the first episode this season that I have actually enjoyed. I thought it was hysterical, especially the scene where Darlene has the flat tire. Jackie has some of the best lines this epi, and especially in that scene.

I also thought that Becky was quite right with regards to drinking - if she wanted to she could drink at home. And it isn't like she isn't around booze at the restaurant, just because she isn't making drinks behind the bar.

I loved that the Darlene-sleeping-with-two-guys plot is resolved, and how it was resolved.

My only quibble with the season so far is that I hate the name Bev, and especially Little Bev, for the baby. I guess TPTB just could not bring themselves to let the kid be called Rose and be done with it. But if they couldn't go there, they should have let the kid have its own name that no one else in the family (and certainly no one living) has. 

Let's hope Baby Bev aka Bev Rose/Beverly Rose doesn't grow up to marry a man named Hill.  But then, there isn't a law that she'd have to change her maiden name, or even have to marry a man.  If she gets married at all.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Let's hope Baby Bev aka Bev Rose/Beverly Rose doesn't grow up to marry a man named Hill.  But then, there isn't a law that she'd have to change her maiden name, or even have to marry a man.  If she gets married at all.

Bev Hill? Beverly Rose Hill? I'm feeling a little slow here. What am I missing?

• Love 5
22 hours ago, qtpye said:

Speaking of stupid...why would you text both of your lovers to come get help you with a flat tire?

To be fair, she did text both her dad and aunt as well. Jackie's taunt from behind the wheel was classic. 😂

• Love 13
45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Aha. Now I see it.

Sorry folks!  I'm a Southern California girl so the first thing I thought of was Beverly Hills, but it would fit right in with The Beverly Hillbillies more than BH 90210! 😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Sorry folks!  I'm a Southern California girl so the first thing I thought of was Beverly Hills, but it would fit right in with The Beverly Hillbillies more than BH 90210! 😄

Oh, if I’d gotten it, Beverly Hillbillies and BH90210 would have both fit. I was just missing the whole thing. 

• Love 3

The Best Episode of The Conners barr none (see what I did there?)  I agree with all the comments and no matter who likes what pairing of Darlene, I'm now excited for the show.  All the actors nailed it and brought the show up a huge notch.  I laughed more than any other epi of The Conners and the suspense of what would happen and intrigue was real.

Going forward, Ben has put he and Darlene back to square one with the coffee comment.  He might just play it out until she decided to quit on her own.  If Ben can just stay in the show as Darlene's boss, that would be great.  Now I'm really wondering what future Johnny Galecki has on the show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
Just now, chitowngirl said:

David is still Mark and Harris’ father, so it would be natural for him to show up from time to time.

I know it would be natural, but I was just wondering how big a part the actor Johnny G. is going to play, like if he has another project on offer, etc.  I realize his character isn't completely washed up.  And who knows how hard the break-up will hold?

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Can someone remind me what the coffee comment was?

Ben asked Darlene if she wanted a coffee on his way out of the office to get one for himself, she said yes, he said to write down her order on a piece of paper and bring it wherever she goes to get her own coffee.  In other words, he's not fetching coffee for his employee anymore.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Ben asked Darlene if she wanted a coffee on his way out of the office to get one for himself, she said yes, he said to write down her order on a piece of paper and bring it wherever she goes to get her own coffee.  In other words, he's not fetching coffee for his employee anymore.

Thanks. Damn, I totally missed that line. Guess I got distracted...

Even better than last week. They're 4 for 4 with me this season.

And THANK GOD this stupid triangle is over, and that it was the guys breaking up with Darlene instead.

Harris and Odessa getting high is no "Is this the sink? Am I SHRINKING?", but it was still pretty funny.

As for Beverly Rose's name...she could have always been Danielle, after Dan. 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Even better than last week. They're 4 for 4 with me this season.

And THANK GOD this stupid triangle is over, and that it was the guys breaking up with Darlene instead.

Harris and Odessa getting high is no "Is this the sink? Am I SHRINKING?", but it was still pretty funny.

As for Beverly Rose's name...she could have always been Danielle, after Dan. 

Great idea!  Why didn't the show think of that?  She could've also had Rose as her middle name, and they could call her Danni Rose.  So cute.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Great idea!  Why didn't the show think of that?  She could've also had Rose as her middle name, and they could call her Danni Rose.  So cute.

That name is very cute! I agree. 

• Love 5
On 10/15/2019 at 10:27 PM, BeachDays said:

On the other hand, we heard her two texts.  It’s clear she is more interested in Ben and can open up more to him.  She also said she has been scared to stop trying with David.... that’s no way to have a relationship.  

Am I the only one who thought her texts made it clear that she should be with David?  It sounded like she was trying so hard with Ben but not with David.  (My husband agreed with me, but maybe it just reflects how we talk to each other.   And we're in a healthy relationship.)

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Am I the only one who thought her texts made it clear that she should be with David?  It sounded like she was trying so hard with Ben but not with David.  (My husband agreed with me, but maybe it just reflects how we talk to each other.   And we're in a healthy relationship.)

No I actually think that now-  yesterday I was completely flummoxed on the way the episode went Bc I have been CERTAIN David/Darlene would be endgame since Tangled Up in Blue.  But after rewatching the episode, I still think it’s David.  Yes she agreed to break up with him in the kitchen with Jackie-but then she was stunned that the break up felt so different.  “Because it’s the last time”- says David.   Well if she is used to on and off with David, then it really wasn’t all that hard for her to decide to break up with him... thinking they can just get back together again.  It’s a very cleverly written episode.   

• Love 8
23 hours ago, rmontro said:

Writers:  Let's name the baby Roseanne.

Network:  Nope.

I'm in total agreement with the network.

14 hours ago, janie jones said:

12 hours ago, BeachDays said:

No I actually think that now-  yesterday I was completely flummoxed on the way the episode went Bc I have been CERTAIN David/Darlene would be endgame since Tangled Up in Blue.  But after rewatching the episode, I still think it’s David.  Yes she agreed to break up with him in the kitchen with Jackie-but then she was stunned that the break up felt so different.  “Because it’s the last time”- says David.   Well if she is used to on and off with David, then it really wasn’t all that hard for her to decide to break up with him... thinking they can just get back together again.  It’s a very cleverly written episode.   

That text to Ben was so over the top, Darlene must have been standing on a ladder to write it. That flowery bullshit is not who Darlene is, at least as they've shown us for decades.

Personally, I'm glad she got dumped by both men. She has always been my least favorite Conner -- she's just a toxic bitch to almost everyone, but especially to the man she supposedly "loved" since high school and with whom she had two children.

I love that David said he wanted to go first and then he dumped Darlene. I also take her tears with a grain of salt. She's upset only because she didn't get to dump him first (she even says something to the effect that she really wished she had gone first -- because she wanted to step on David one last time, the way she's done for 25 years).

I didn't care for the scene at the highway, because it was overtly comparing gentle David with manly Ben, with David coming up lacking, as though being a gentle man somehow makes him less of a man.

Dan, Louise, and Becky were fantastic in this episode, as much as I hate what they made Becky's life into. It's almost like they're in their own show. I'd watch that spin-off, which would be a workplace comedy at the bar, with Louise as manager, Becky as the bartender/waitress, and Dan as the handyman or regular patron.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

I love that David said he wanted to go first and then he dumped Darlene. I also take her tears with a grain of salt. She's upset only because she didn't get to dump him first (she even says something to the effect that she really wished she had gone first -- because she wanted to step on David one last time, the way she's done for 25 years).

Yeah she should have been relieved that she neither needed to hurt David's feelings, nor reveal her duplicity.  Speaking of which, Ben easily deduced that she had been seeing David from their behavior off the highway, whereas David was so wrapped up in his own insecurities that he didn't even suspect.  Clearly, Ben was more attuned to her moods and changes in her behavior, although David has known her forever.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yeah she should have been relieved that she neither needed to hurt David's feelings, nor reveal her duplicity.  Speaking of which, Ben easily deduced that she had been seeing David from their behavior off the highway, whereas David was so wrapped up in his own insecurities that he didn't even suspect.  Clearly, Ben was more attuned to her moods and changes in her behavior, although David has known her forever.

I thought David knew she was dating Ben, and that Darlene was cheating on Ben with him.  Didn't he?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I thought David knew she was dating Ben, and that Darlene was cheating on Ben with him.  Didn't he?

Nope.  That's why Harris could blackmail her.  She was upset about her father being lied to.  I doubt she cared about Ben's feelings.

That's also why David acted confused about Ben showing up when Darlene's car broke down, although he did not conclude that she was dating Ben.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Nope.  That's why Harris could blackmail her.  She was upset about her father being lied to.  I doubt she cared about Ben's feelings.

That's also why David acted confused about Ben showing up when Darlene's car broke down, although he did not conclude that she was dating Ben.

Judging by his expression I feel like he figured it out too.  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Roseanne Roseannadanna?     Danni Roseannadanna?  

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

Poor Darlene. Yes, I know, she's been cheating and lying, and I fully agree that she deserved to get dumped by both guys, but I still feel for her. IMO, she ruined a very promising thing with Ben by not fully being able to give up on the fantasy of happily-ever-after with David, even as she intellectually knew it was only a fantasy.

Good for David for growing a backbone, I guess, though I also suspected that he was now following the therapist's lead and felt a little uncharitable for thinking it. I've never felt quite as sorry for David getting walked all over by Darlene as many seem to; no, it's not a good or admirable way for her to behave, but it's also been his choice to be so passive. They're just not good for each other.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 19
18 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Or Ann Rose, or Anna Rose. So many name choices, lol. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Good for David for growing a backbone, I guess, though I also suspected that he was now following the therapist's lead and felt a little uncharitable for thinking it. I've never felt quite as sorry for David getting walked all over by Darlene as many seem to; no, it's not a good or admirable way for her to behave, but it's also been his choice to be so passive. They're just not good for each other.

I'm not sure David has grown a backbone.  I've never felt sorry for David when it came to Darlene.  You are right he did not have to be so passive.  Also, Mark dying, and Darlene and David's marriage not working was no reason for David to bail on his kids.  He could have divorced Darlene, and still been there for his children.  People do it all the time.

I didn't like David's, "I want to hear everything you have to say, but I want to say this first" either.  Because David left the room pretty quickly after that.  Or his comment about needing a partnership.  David did not have to stay in his relationship with Darlene.  If he has felt this way since they first started dating when they were 15, and never did anything about it, or never acknowledged to himself that was the way he felt, that's on him.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I'm not sure David has grown a backbone.  I've never felt sorry for David when it came to Darlene.  You are right he did not have to be so passive.  Also, Mark dying, and Darlene and David's marriage not working was no reason for David to bail on his kids.  He could have divorced Darlene, and still been there for his children.  People do it all the time.

I didn't like David's, "I want to hear everything you have to say, but I want to say this first" either.  Because David left the room pretty quickly after that.  Or his comment about needing a partnership.  David did not have to stay in his relationship with Darlene.  If he has felt this way since they first started dating when they were 15, and never did anything about it, or never acknowledged to himself that was the way he felt, that's on him.

That doesn’t mean he can’t find the courage to make a decision now.   I really see it as 2 messed up kids who got in a relationship so young and fell into a pattern.   David wasn’t telling her “oh you suck and I’m awesome”.   He was telling her something that he had felt and didn’t have the courage to tell her before.  I’m sure we will get more as the season goes on, including Darlene’s thoughts.  

• Love 9
On 10/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I'm in total agreement with the network.

That text to Ben was so over the top, Darlene must have been standing on a ladder to write it. That flowery bullshit is not who Darlene is, at least as they've shown us for decades.

Personally, I'm glad she got dumped by both men. She has always been my least favorite Conner -- she's just a toxic bitch to almost everyone, but especially to the man she supposedly "loved" since high school and with whom she had two children.

I didn't care for the scene at the highway, because it was overtly comparing gentle David with manly Ben, with David coming up lacking, as though being a gentle man somehow makes him less of a man.

I also think her text to David being so basic doesn't necessarily mean she loves him less. Its just after 20 years they have a short hand. A more telling question would have been who did she tect first imo but that wouldn't have been as funny.

I also hate the"David is a weakling" jokes it just very reductive for a show that talks about gender as much as it does.

• Love 10
On 10/16/2019 at 9:33 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I cringed when I heard that comment. Not because Snap! But because it was too wordy and awkward to be effective.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:58 AM, janie jones said:

I thought her breakup reactions were more telling. Tears with David. No tears with Ben. 

I love love LOVE  Jackie. She always makes me laugh:

"Lanford....Laaaaanford"

"Oh, Darlene, I see you have a big problem...AND a flat tire!"

"David. David baaaaaad."

I hope there's a scene in which Darlene tells her Ben broke up with her. I'd like to  see Jackie's overreaction. Especially because she really likes Ben (maybe a little too much. 😉)

• Love 10

I don’t think Darlene especially needs to be in a romantic relationship of any kind, and would prefer the show explore that she can be perfectly fine as a single parent, which is essentially what she’s been ever since David took off after Mark’s death. However, if TPTB are hellbent on having her in a relationship, then FFS they need to use this episode as a real turning point. That is, no having her get involved with her boss, and no reconciliation for the umpteenth time with David. I loathe the overused trope of a couple who repeatedly break up and then reconcile again. If a couple is divorced or separated, generally there’s a good reason for it, and they need to stay that way. 

• Love 10
On 10/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Dan, Louise, and Becky were fantastic in this episode, as much as I hate what they made Becky's life into. It's almost like they're in their own show. I'd watch that spin-off, which would be a workplace comedy at the bar, with Louise as manager, Becky as the bartender/waitress, and Dan as the handyman or regular patron.

They've done such a good job incorporating Louise into the show by having her run the restaurant that Becky works at. I like La Casa Bonita serving as a "gathering" for this iteration of the show like The Lunch Box did.

• Love 10
On 10/16/2019 at 11:32 PM, UYI said:

Oh My Gosh, quoting my favorite episode from the Original Recipe Show! Gimme that Pudding Pop!

I've never been a big Darlene fan and for some reason, her voice these days has this weird whiny quality so the double dump twist was satisfying. 

Don't forget - Becky was always Beverly's favorite (according to the old show). And giving babies old fashioned names is all the rage (Sadie, Ruth, etc). So Beverly Rose is pretty appropriate given the circumstances. I'm very curious to see how Becky's life is going to play out now that she has a baby. Perhaps the baby will give her more focus (it's already caused her to stop drinking) and hopefully it will turn around. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Don't forget - Becky was always Beverly's favorite (according to the old show).

Yeah, they really got along.  Bev favored her, so Becky didn't have the issues Roseanne, Jackie, and Darlene had with her, and didn't have the "Aw, jeez, Grandma's coming?!" reaction to her visits.  During one visit, Becky didn't say yes when asked on a date, because she knew her grandma was going to be in town and figured she should stay home and visit; Bev is the one who told her to go (because it was a date; Darlene she made stay home, because what could she possibly have to do that was of any importance), and Becky very nicely told Bev she'd wear the blouse Bev had given her for her birthday (Darlene got galoshes, heh). 

Bev was even going to give Becky her old car (but Roseanne and Dan put the kibosh on it; instead, Roseanne got Bev's old car and Becky got Roseanne's hand-me-down), because she'd bought herself a new one (delightedly spending some of her divorce settlement) and Becky was working at the Buy 'n' Bag to save up for a car.

And in the revival season, Becky let Bev live with her (until she got grossed out at old people having sex <g>).

I always think Estelle Parsons Bev, not a baby, when I hear "Bev" and I hate things like "Little Bev" or "Baby Bev" so I hope they keep calling her "Bev Rose" (or "Beverly" - that would put Nana Mary's voice in my head - not a bad thing), but I like the name for the symmetry with Harris's and Mary's -- the girls have all been named to reflect their maternal lineage. 

• Love 7
On 10/21/2019 at 2:50 PM, BookWoman56 said:

I don’t think Darlene especially needs to be in a romantic relationship of any kind, and would prefer the show explore that she can be perfectly fine as a single parent, which is essentially what she’s been ever since David took off after Mark’s death. However, if TPTB are hellbent on having her in a relationship, then FFS they need to use this episode as a real turning point. That is, no having her get involved with her boss, and no reconciliation for the umpteenth time with David. I loathe the overused trope of a couple who repeatedly break up and then reconcile again. If a couple is divorced or separated, generally there’s a good reason for it, and they need to stay that way. 

I agree with you, however being a first time viewer of this show I always feel like a kid that wandered in in the middle of a movie with no frame of reference (to quote "Big Lebowski").  So it interests me how many people see this as a "new beginning" for Darlene when it looks to me like just an excuse for the show to prolong things with both men with no chance of resolution in sight, only this time outside the bounds of an affair or romantic partnership for the foreseeable future.  So the "will they, won't they" will go on forever between her and both men separately.  There may be lots of sexual innuendo or subtle, even subconscious flirting involved even as all parties attempt to act like engaging with the other is "strictly business" or whatever.  It's a way the show can keep this going forever without having to resolve it before squeezing every last drop of plot worthiness out of it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree with you, however being a first time viewer of this show I always feel like a kid that wandered in in the middle of a movie with no frame of reference (to quote "Big Lebowski").  So it interests me how many people see this as a "new beginning" for Darlene when it looks to me like just an excuse for the show to prolong things with both men with no chance of resolution in sight, only this time outside the bounds of an affair or romantic partnership for the foreseeable future.  So the "will they, won't they" will go on forever between her and both men separately.  There may be lots of sexual innuendo or subtle, even subconscious flirting involved even as all parties attempt to act like engaging with the other is "strictly business" or whatever.  It's a way the show can keep this going forever without having to resolve it before squeezing every last drop of plot worthiness out of it.

Yeah... this is what I’m seeing too.   This story isn’t resolved.  It will be a season long arc in one way or another.   But it is hopefully a way for everyone to come at it from a better perspective.   And hopefully we get some romance-free eps in between.  

• Love 3
On 10/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, Bastet said:

I always think Estelle Parsons Bev, not a baby, when I hear "Bev" and I hate things like "Little Bev" or "Baby Bev" so I hope they keep calling her "Bev Rose" (or "Beverly" - that would put Nana Mary's voice in my head - not a bad thing), but I like the name for the symmetry with Harris's and Mary's -- the girls have all been named to reflect their maternal lineage. 

I would have liked Emily or Emilia.

• Love 1

It’s impossible to get into this show when it continues to dive deeply into consequences of stupid actions, and expects viewers to have any sympathy for anyone. Darlene, don’t want “a messed up life?” Make a decision. Jackie seems pretty spot on. Even David figured it out before you did. 

Can we return to issues that they have to figure out, that aren’t caused by them acting like idiots? The high cost of health insurance or medicine maybe. The city putting a crappy project in their poor neighborhood. A car accident with a celebrity driver. Dan approaching retirement age and trying to figure out what to do as his body aches. More on gender identity. So many options. 

Something that allows the characters to show their perspective from who they are, and maybe we can all learn something and appreciate it. 

Right now it’s like watching someone drive recklessly and wreck their car, and then complain endlessly that they don’t have a car. 

• Love 3

The high cost of health insurance or medicine maybe. The city putting a crappy project in their poor neighborhood. A car accident with a celebrity driver. Dan approaching retirement age and trying to figure out what to do as his body aches. More on gender identity. So many options.

Yeah, that would be great if this were an after school special but it's a half hour sit com. All I ask is that it be insightful and funny. Mostly just funny.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, that would be great if this were an after school special but it's a half hour sit com. All I ask is that it be insightful and funny. Mostly just funny.

This ain’t King of Queens. I don’t think the show presents itself as only a sitcom. I think it tries to be more like “All in the Family.” How long have we been visiting the hospital now? All four episodes this season? The Connors doesn’t reset each episode. 

Also, many things that happen in the show aren’t funny. Having a preemie isn’t amusing. Having a drinking problem isn’t ha ha. Cheating on two people who love you isn’t a laugh. 

As a result, it doesn’t make sense to view it simply as a sitcom. Hence my earlier comments. 

• Love 2

The Conners' lot in life has always resulted from a combination of institutional barriers and poor choices (many of which were a product of their environment, further illustrating the effect of institutional barriers).  They used to stay away from tripe like this love triangle storyline, so hopefully that annoying distraction is truly over and they'll get back to form.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Conners' lot in life has always resulted from a combination of institutional barriers and poor choices (many of which were a product of their environment, further illustrating the effect of institutional barriers).  They used to stay away from tripe like this love triangle storyline, so hopefully that annoying distraction is truly over and they'll get back to form.

I agree. The love triangle was a needless distraction, I'd prefer it if they concentrated more on the family dynamics.

• Love 4