Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: We Are the End of the World

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

And here we thought Beth-at-Grady-eating-Guinea Pigs was the worst, most boring ep ever. How one's perspective can change.

Lol! Prior to the whisperers entrance, any Beth centric episode was my worst. I felt like the only viewer in existence that actually cheered when she finally met her maker 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It says something that I now somewhat fondly remember Beth as being a character. Not much of a character but I still remember her name and things about her. Now it's, you know, deaf girl, music guy, the others who I can't remember enough about to give a snide name.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

They probably tan the skins that they keep using salt or (more likely based on the Whisperers actions) urine.   They did find that camp with a skin stretched out over some branches.    Or maybe the writers didn't put that much research into it.  

That was my thought, too. Still, I doubt walkers pee, so the smell would still be "live."

It's pretty sad when Talking Dead is more fun than Walking Dead. I love when Nicole is on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, amazinglybored said:

t says something that I now somewhat fondly remember Beth as being a character. Not much of a character but I still remember her name and things about her. Now it's, you know, deaf girl, music guy, the others who I can't remember enough about to give a snide name.

Exactly what I've been griping about. How are we supposed to care about this multitude of characters whose names we don't even know and who zip in and out so fast (cowboy guys) they're forgetten immediately? I have no idea what the name is of going-deaf girl, who I didn't even realize IS a girl until someone here informed me so it's hard to get teary or concerned over her impending loss of hearing. As annoying as Beth may have been, we knew all about her.

• Love 6

We've been told that Carol is the badass to end all badasses, yet she stood there and looked at Alpha and DID NOTHING!  Why?  Because Michonne told her to?  I don't think Carol and Michonne have exchanged ten words since Michonne showed up at the prison.  Carol doesn't give a fuck about what Michonne thinks so why doesn't she just kill Alpha?

We're being set up for the Battle of the Crazy Bitches, but the start hasn't been very promising if all they're going to do is stare at each other.  At least Rick PRETENDED to be shooting at Negan.

The Whisperers main weapon is the herd of the zombies.  But if they kill the Whisperers would the herd be such a threat?  I agree with the person who said that the Whisperers finest moment was the attack at the cemetery.  Their element of surprise is gone.  Just shoot them all and call if a fucking day

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Exactly what I've been griping about. How are we supposed to care about this multitude of characters whose names we don't even know and who zip in and out so fast (cowboy guys) they're forgetten immediately? I have no idea what the name is of going-deaf girl, who I didn't even realize IS a girl until someone here informed me so it's hard to get teary or concerned over her impending loss of hearing. As annoying as Beth may have been, we knew all about her.

I'm with you so hard on that. The going deaf girl is Kel, and I assume that's short for something. I only know that because I was wondering who the hell Kel was last episode when someone was calling her, and I can't remember anything else about her. The characters haven't always been likable but they used to have a lot of actual characters running around in big and smaller roles. Season 1 and its 6 episodes did a better job introducing characters than the show has done in awhile now.

1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

We've been told that Carol is the badass to end all badasses, yet she stood there and looked at Alpha and DID NOTHING!  Why?  Because Michonne told her to?  I don't think Carol and Michonne have exchanged ten words since Michonne showed up at the prison.  Carol doesn't give a fuck about what Michonne thinks so why doesn't she just kill Alpha?

We're being set up for the Battle of the Crazy Bitches, but the start hasn't been very promising if all they're going to do is stare at each other.  At least Rick PRETENDED to be shooting at Negan.

The Whisperers main weapon is the herd of the zombies.  But if they kill the Whisperers would the herd be such a threat?  I agree with the person who said that the Whisperers finest moment was the attack at the cemetery.  Their element of surprise is gone.  Just shoot them all and call if a fucking day

It's the same lazy plot armour that kept Negan alive and terrorizing viewers. I'd happily watch Carol and Daryl kill Negan in the night, go on an excursion the kill the whisperers and then go on a road trip. It would make more sense. Like Negan, I have a hard time believing one of her own people hasn't taken her out, or in Alpha's case a walker hasn't gotten her at some point stupid mask be damned. That fall should have killed Beta, too.

They conveniently don't have the bullets anymore for reasons. Just burn them in a safer place. People hate getting lit on fire and zombies don't care. Make some Molotov cocktails and go. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, amazinglybored said:

The going deaf girl is Kel

Oh. I only noticed her and osso bucco guy when they arrived because after living rough on the road for who knows how long, she had what appeared to be freshly coiffed hair and he was chubby.  I have no idea who else came in with them. Oh, wait - there was some tough woman too but I don't know if we ever saw her again.

9 minutes ago, amazinglybored said:

I have a hard time believing one of her own people hasn't taken (Alpha) out,

It is rather difficult to imagine that everyone did nothing when she left a baby for the walkers to tear apart and eat alive. I mean - come on! That's a little much, even for one of these "Extreme Villains." Even Negan wouldn't do that. Ack! This gang is so cartoonish, outlandish and boring I'm becoming nostaligic for Uncle Neeg.

• Love 6
On 10/14/2019 at 12:13 AM, Samwise979 said:

I'm not down on twd like many of you, I still quite enjoy it but, that episode draaaaagged. I don't think I've been so bored with an episode since the Daryl/Beth one. 

I still like it too (but I LOVED when Daryl and Beth burned the house down--that scene, that song, all of it!). But, oh my god, I now get how some of you feel a lot of the time! Oyyyyyy vey! Also, it is REALLY hard to get what's actually happening in battle scenes when the characters are wearing zombie faces!

Also, am I dumb? What is the point of the way Alpha's "pack" lives? If they just want to wander around all the time, why do they have and care about borders? Do they just keep strolling about? For what?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 12
20 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Maybe the sfx budget goes more to things like the walker kills

Not even. 

When you see all the walkers wearing long sleeves shirts and being dressed all alike,  that you are not even able to diffence one from another,  it's not even a thing anymore.  I remember when they were proud to not use CGI and pass all the budget on zombie makeup instead, no more because... Money.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, rmontro said:

The only other thing I will say is some of the dialogue in this one was horrible.  Specifically where the Whisperers are talking about their philosophies:  "We walk in darkness, we are free.  We bathe in blood, we are free.  We love nothing, we are free.  We fear nothing, we are free.  We need no words, we are free.  We embrace all death, we are free.  This is the end of the world.  Now is the end of the world.  We are the end of the world."  Cringe worthy.

buy 1 zombie face And save 50% on Michael Jackson's zombie walking class reg.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If the protagonists hadn't become civilized, they would have killed off the Whisperers' long ago, or at least died while trying.

I don't even think that the level of thinking of the writers goes that far.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The herd leaves and comes back.   Apparently the Whisperers were waiting for the herds arrival.  What is exactly controlling the herds of walkers?   Why would the Whisperers assume the herds would travel back over the same territory it had previously left?

If it was for springbreak with booze and lots of tities I would understand but I agree...  Why?

It is not because they have properties, they sleep on the forest floor for Christ sake.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I still like it too (but I LOVED when Daryl and Beth burned the house down--that scene, that song, all of it!).

I loved that scene; I liked the Daryl/Beth interaction, and was one of the only posters to not mind Beth.  But then, I like Maggie, too, so what do I know.

But these new characters and all this Whisperer shit?  Just no.

• Love 10

The Daryl and Beth travel era was good for character development and understanding them. It wasn't the most entertaining but it served a purpose. Now we get whatever that was. Alpha's never ending backstory.

9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh. I only noticed her and osso bucco guy when they arrived because after living rough on the road for who knows how long, she had what appeared to be freshly coiffed hair and he was chubby.  I have no idea who else came in with them. Oh, wait - there was some tough woman too but I don't know if we ever saw her again.

I'm not sure I knew her name last season. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As we have seen in this episode, the Whispers have limited control over the herds of walkers. 

They shouldn't have any control over them. Even on the occasions our gang, and even Negan, covered themselves in walker goo, it only disguised the smell of living humans for a very short period. The skin masks, which must have been treated in some way so they don't fall apart and which are the Whisperers ONLY defense, wouldn't even smell like carrion anymore. It's like we're getting a whole bunch of different zombie shows with different rules in each one of them.

Kang and the writers want to show viewers "something they haven't seen before"? How about continuity and unbroken momentum?

• Love 9
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't remember this at all.

They ate Guinea pigs at Grady. I do remember that because the doctor presented it to Beth on a plate. It was whole and on its back with its little legs sticking straight up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The only other thing I will say is some of the dialogue in this one was horrible.  Specifically where the Whisperers are talking about their philosophies:  "We walk in darkness, we are free.  We bathe in blood, we are free.  We love nothing, we are free.  We fear nothing, we are free.  We need no words, we are free.  We embrace all death, we are free.  This is the end of the world.  Now is the end of the world.  We are the end of the world."  Cringe worthy.

That was an awful lot of words for people who need no words.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

They ate Guinea pigs at Grady. I do remember that because the doctor presented it to Beth on a plate. It was whole and on its back with its little legs sticking straight up.

I really don't remember this myself. What was grady? We're not talking Anthony the Turtle are we?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

I really don't remember this myself. What was grady? We're not talking Anthony the Turtle are we?

Grady was the hospital in Atlanta.  Remember the LolliCops kidnapping Beth?

ETA: Also - remember when we thought THAT was bad writing?

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Thank you all! I 'member now!

I wasn't impressed with that particular storyline it would seem. I didn't even know that was the name of the place. It was entirely plausible given the writing on this show that I completely missed a person named Grady.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It says something that I now somewhat fondly remember Beth as being a character. Not much of a character but I still remember her name and things about her. Now it's, you know, deaf girl, music guy, the others who I can't remember enough about to give a snide name.

The entirety of Season 2 was spent fleshing out Hershel's family, including Beth. By the time we got the 2-person episode of just Beth and Daryl we knew a lot about her. Caring about her may be a different matter but we knew her and had known her for three seasons. But Alpha? Is more like a cartoon. Even this attempt at backstory didn't help flesh out the character because she still seems like a cartoon. At least Beth was walking around with a dead flesh mask pretending to be a Walker. I can't get past the absurdity of that.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, amazinglybored said:

The Whisperers must have terrible back pain from their walker shuffle.

I was thinking exactly the same, I don’t know which one it was, but she was almost bent double, no way could she keep that up for very long.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

In the first season or two we saw them walk up stairs - they had to walk up many stairs to try and reach Merle chained on the roof -  and even use weapons (rocks) to try to break windows. IIRC, that didn't last long as it would make it to difficult for people to escape them.

The rock usage was the plan of Frank Darrabont, who believed that the Walkers should maintain a level of intelligence to enable them to use basic tools, open doors etc, but unfortunately he was ousted, the worst thing to happen to the show IMO, here’s what he had in mind to do next

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/52526

Walkers swarming up staircases was highlighted in ‘Fear’, when the group were trapped on the roof and ‘beer guy’ threw himself off the roof to set off a car alarm  and save the group.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/14/2019 at 10:38 AM, AngelaHunter said:

I think TPTB must have blown their entire CGI budget for the whole run of the show on the tiger, which was spectacular, so for anything else like the junkyard vista and the deer they had to go to the CGI bargain basement.

Worth every penny--I miss you, Shiva!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I just figured she never lost that weight after popping out Lydia.  They walk around enough, all of them should be pencil thin.  Maybe it is just lose skin, and nothing she does will tighten that skin.

Loose skin my arse, skin just hangs in folds, it doesn’t get ‘rounded out’ unless there’s a roll of fat behind it 🐷 😋

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

By the time we got the 2-person episode of just Beth and Daryl we knew a lot about her. Caring about her may be a different matter but we knew her and had known her for three seasons.

They were also like real people with whom we could identify and care about, even with Emily's not-so-good acting skills, and not cartoons coming out with silly chants (how long did Alpha&Co have to rehearse that "We need no words" or whatever mantra, cuz yah, nothing better to do when you have no food or shelter and you're wearing decayed flesh on your faces?) or doing dumb arts n crafts in a junkyard and taking "Speaking like Yoda" lessons.

• Love 6
On 10/15/2019 at 3:17 AM, mightysparrow said:

I agree with you, how our combined communities couldn’t attack and eliminate these peasants with little effort is beyond me, do they possess any weapons beyond a six inch knife? Ok, Alpha has a sawn off, but what have we seen beyond that? 
I do have to defend Carol though, she only had a bow and arrows, there wasn’t much she could have done over the distance between her and Alpha.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I do have to defend Carol though, she only had a bow and arrows, there wasn’t much she could have done over the distance between her and Alpha.

I think one Oliver Queen would disagree with you on that. 😝

• Love 6

I just tried to watch this again, thinking maybe I'd judged too harshly or drank too much on Sunday to appreciate it. God knows I'm no high-brow when it comes to my TeeVee entertainment. I loved "The Mist", filled with all kinds of outlandish monsters! I nearly quit at Beta tenderly shaving Alpha's head, but perservered. I got as far as them crossing a field, proving again that avoiding zombie attacks is as simple as shuffling while you walk. Nope. Can't do it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

That's another thing. Was the final shot in this episode supposed to mirror the final shot in the previous episode, only from Alpha's POV? I didn't see Carol anywhere. In the last episode where Carol sees Alpha she appears to be maybe only a couple dozen feet away, whereas in this episode whatever Alpha is looking up at in the end was far off in the distant horizon.

• Love 4
On 10/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, tricknasty said:

How many backstories of Alpha will we be subjected to? Cause I. Dont. Care. What a waste of my fucking time.

You're going to love the inevitable episode with the Beta backstory! 😁

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

You're going to love the inevitable episode with the Beta backstory! 

Oh boy.

I think of what kind of in-depth backstories they give us and I'm truly puzzled. If there was one backstory I would have loved it would have been Merle's sojourn after he cut his own hand off to escape from the roof and see what happened to him between then and the time he arrived at Woodbury. Do we get that? No, we do not but we DO get a silly, nonsensical cartoony backstory about Alpha, who puts her daughter in the bathtub fully clothed and pours water over her hair but doesn't bother washing the blood off her face and meeting the weird Wookie who wears a ski mask for some reason and they speak like people in some old-timey cheesy novel and - I don't know what else since I didn't watch it.

But I have only myself to blame for this since I should have stopped watching when Rick had his arch-enemy in his gun sights and merely shot his windows out, but hope does spring eternal, stupidly or not.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

That's not funny.

After googling why we don't see his face, I've learned that we're supposed to care about that? No thank you, show. I'm sure I was supposed to pick up on never seeing his face before but I did not. Nor do I care now.

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I think of what kind of in-depth backstories they give us and I'm truly puzzled. If there was one backstory I would have loved it would have been Merle's sojourn after he cut his own hand off to escape from the roof and see what happened to him between then and the time he arrived at Woodbury.

Merle was such a great character and he didn't linger for eternity. He's probably what they picture Negan as in a lot of ways, actually. I always wanted how Daryl and Merle handled the beginning of the apocalypse and joined CDB. You can't tell me it wouldn't have been hilarious but interesting.

• Love 5
On 10/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I got as far as them crossing a field, proving again that avoiding zombie attacks is as simple as shuffling while you walk. Nope. Can't do it.

Someone has to mix those scenes when they are walking with this, I think it would be 10 000 times better!🙂

You move it to the left, yeah
You go for yourself
You move it to the right
Yeah if it takes all night

Now take it kinda slow
With a whole lot of soul
Don't move it too fast
Just make it last

You scratch just like a monkey
Yeah you do real cool
You slide it to the limbo
Yeah how low can you go?

Now come on baby
Don't fall down on me now
Just move it right here
To the Harlem shuffle
Yeah yeah yeah to the Harlem shuffle
Yeah yeah yeah to the Harlem shuffle

Hitch hitch hike baby
Across the floor
Whoa whoa whoa
I can't stand it no more

Now come on baby
Now get into your slide
Just ride ride ride
Little pony, ride!

Yeah yeah yeah do the Harlem shuffle
Yeah yeah…

Edited by heisenberg
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, xaxat said:

Yep!  It is going to be in the last episode of the season 10 and we will have to watch season 11 to know more about it! 😝

Edited by heisenberg
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, amazinglybored said:

That's not funny.

After googling why we don't see his face, I've learned that we're supposed to care about that? No thank you, show. I'm sure I was supposed to pick up on never seeing his face before but I did not. Nor do I care now.

Let me guess - Beta has a mole on his face he’s REALLY REALLY self-conscious about, and he covers it (and the rest of his face) up so none of the Mean Kids at Zombie Apocalypse High will make fun of him, and he can hang out with the Cool Kids - right?

Hey Beta - don’t be that way, little buckaroo.  You don’t need to let peer pressure define who you are.  You have Awful and a team of nominally talented writers to do that FOR you.  

So chin up, little buddy - and while you’re at it, fuck off and die.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

You don’t need to let peer pressure define who you are.  You have Awful and a team of nominally talented writers to do that FOR you.

LOL! Yeah, in the few minutes I watched, I was so torn between !Needing to Know! why the love child of a Wookie and Lurch is so sensitive about his looks, yet unable to continue watching such boring shit. What a dilemma.

"Nominally talented"? We played a game on another forum, telling the story with each poster writing a line or two. I'm pretty sure we could do that and make a more entertaining episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Now I wished you hadn't reminded me.

Well, you just know on this show any animals that appear usually end up dead. I'm shocked all those horses are still alive. But yeah, I had a Guinea pig for about 8 years. His name was William and he liked to drink tea from a spoon.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, heisenberg said:

Yep!  It is going to be in the last episode of the season 10 and we will have to watch season 11 to know more about it! 😝

And the showrunners will be shoving it down our throats how awesome it will be and we've never seen anything like it before.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Hardwick has got to be the one that sells it as being awesome.

Probably , but I guess I'll never know since watching an aftershow hosted by a high-pitched "Everyone loves Jadis!" ass kisser has never been on my agenda. If they can't show, but instead have to tell what happened in an episode, I'll get along without knowing.

• Love 2

If they can't show, but instead have to tell what happened in an episode, I'll get along without knowing.

I don't watch it either and I can't figure out about half of what happened last season.  Even worst, I can't even figure out who are most of the cast and where they are coming from.

They don't bother to show, I don't bother to understand and soon I might not even bother to watch.

The only reason I am watching it now is to have a good laugh about how bad it is.

These days the shows that are supposed to be serious are funnier than the ones who are supposed to be funny.  TWD and FTWD are some of them.

Edited by heisenberg
  • Love 3

My two takeaways from trying to watch this show while falling asleep three...yes, three...times:  Walking hunched over like Alpha does doesn't look anything like the stumbling gait of a real walker and ouch, her back must hurt after a few hours of doing that; and Beta's mask looks like a wasp's nest, not like skin.  So that wasn't worth the effort of rewinding four times to get through the show.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Let me guess - Beta has a mole on his face he’s REALLY REALLY self-conscious about, and he covers it (and the rest of his face) up so none of the Mean Kids at Zombie Apocalypse High will make fun of him, and he can hang out with the Cool Kids - right?

Hey Beta - don’t be that way, little buckaroo.  You don’t need to let peer pressure define who you are.  You have Awful and a team of nominally talented writers to do that FOR you.  

So chin up, little buddy - and while you’re at it, fuck off and die.

Kids can be so cruel. Beta needs to learn to embrace what makes him unique. Also, die. ASAP.

He better at least be terribly disfigured. TERRIBLY!!! I watched Hannibal. Like the guy cutting his own face off.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

My two takeaways from trying to watch this show while falling asleep three...yes, three...times:  Walking hunched over like Alpha does doesn't look anything like the stumbling gait of a real walker and ouch, her back must hurt after a few hours of doing that; and Beta's mask looks like a wasp's nest, not like skin.  So that wasn't worth the effort of rewinding four times to get through the show.

I was so annoyed I couldn't even fall asleep. And yeah, wasp nest is a good description of that silly mask.

Saw this and couldn't help saying, "Hell, yes!"

govmissme.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 4