Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Flip a Coin

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, kili said:

This is one of the rare cases where it isn't random. She's introducing a dance studio so some dancing would be expected. Her intent was to do some dancing and then teach the audience some moves to get them interested in joining.  Realistically, she'll probably need to offer a variety of classes when starting out a new studio to maximize potential clients.

I think that her dance seemed a little unpolished because it had to be a little ad hoc. She had planned for the event to occur inside on a proper dance floor and that she would have time to prepare (maybe put on a ballet outfit). But, with the dead animal problems, she had to spend time with the exterminator and then suddenly move all the stuff they had already set up outside (they were setting up as cars were arriving).  Pavement isn't the best medium to be doing ballet on and she may have had to wing it a little by doing a different style given her outfit, her shoes and the parking lot.

Okay, sure.   I really didn't spend all that much time thinking about it.  I was just being a smart ass.  Tough crowd.

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

I been reading that Chrissy Metz has lost over a 100 pounds.  It must have happened after the current season was filmed.  To me she looks heavier than she's ever been, especially in the face.  It's even difficult for her to comfortably hold the baby in the show.

I really, really, really do hope she's lost some weight.  The way she carries the excess weight just can't be doing her heart any favors.  She's such a lovely woman.  I've seen pictures of her about 100 pounds lighter but I don't know if they're current (yeah!!!!!) or past pics.

Maybe it's just me, but she looks huge this season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

We saw Tess’ birth in Season 1. Afterwards that’s when Rebecca reconnected with Miguel. 

Yes, and didn't Randall pick Tess' name from a box containing a light fixture(or something like that?  It was a very random way to choose a name)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yes, and didn't Randall pick Tess' name from a box containing a light fixture(or something like that?  It was a very random way to choose a name)

Ceiling fan. 

After getting some sage advice from the poor unsuspecting hardware store guy he unloaded all his baby angst on.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

In a not too distant past episode, her so called "friends" were mocking her with the whole "nice cover up" comment.

I think those episodes are six or 7 years apart - I think "nice cover-up" was when she was 12 and the record store is when she's 18-19. She's got to be at least 18 because Randall is in college and Kevin is able to legally marry. That's a lot of time to be able to lose or gain weight.

Am I remembering correctly that at one point in Kate's teens, she and Rebecca went to the store 5-7-9 to find a dress for Kate? If I am, that would mean she was one of those three sizes (which are small sizes, for those who may not know girl sizes!). And I also recall her telling Rebecca that she'd gained 25 pounds in the year (months?) after Jack died, which was probably not long before this trip to the record store.

I also remember Kate working at a diner in what I think was her late 20s, and she was the size she is now. I'm guessing her weight gain is steady through her 20s. I think the progression is "chubby tween, medium-sized teen, steady gain to morbid obesity in 20s, stays morbidly obese until present day."

Edited by Empress1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, kili said:

I think that her dance seemed a little unpolished because it had to be a little ad hoc. She had planned for the event to occur inside on a proper dance floor and that she would have time to prepare (maybe put on a ballet outfit). Pavement isn't the best medium to be doing ballet on and she may have had to wing it a little by doing a different style given her outfit, her shoes and the parking lot.

If DWTS staff can dance all through Disneyland at night and not look like strippers, tv-character Beth should be able to perform a waltz or quickstep or cha cha on pavement. Maybe she should have dressed better then, meaning like a child's dance instructor and not a lap-dancing hootchie girl. No way would I let my child attend her school after her parking-lot display, and I would especially not want my son -- or husband -- hanging out there.

Why was the name of her studio "Clarke" and not "Pearson"? I thought that's what the sign said.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Since S2 this show been a rollercoaster of like/don’t like for me.  But this seasons opener left me thinking I might be out.  I left E2&3 on my DVR and watched the last 3 episodes in a mini binge recently and I am back in, at least for now.  Re Kate, IMO she is so consumed with guilt about Jacks blindness, affecting her reactions and decisions   And for a person to get that morbidly obese there is usually a physiological problem and/or a greatly traumatic event to trigger that, again imo.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I been reading that Chrissy Metz has lost over a 100 pounds.  It must have happened after the current season was filmed.  To me she looks heavier than she's ever been, especially in the face.  It's even difficult for her to comfortably hold the baby in the show.

I don't think she's lost 100 lbs, she looks about the same as always.  If she is wearing padding, then she must be wearing it in real life, too.  There are multiple recent photos of her in the link, some taken at the Emmy Awards which was only last month.

https://people.com/style/chrissy-metz-wears-christian-siriano-to-the-emmys-hes-accepting-of-all-body-types-says-stylist/

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I think those episodes are six or 7 years apart - I think "nice cover-up" was when she was 12 and the record store is when she's 18-19. She's got to be at least 18 because Randall is in college and Kevin is able to legally marry. That's a lot of time to be able to lose or gain weight.

Am I remembering correctly that at one point in Kate's teens, she and Rebecca went to the store 5-7-9 to find a dress for Kate? If I am, that would mean she was one of those three sizes (which are small sizes, for those who may not know girl sizes!). And I also recall her telling Rebecca that she'd gained 25 pounds in the year (months?) after Jack died, which was probably not long before this trip to the record store.

I also remember Kate working at a diner in what I think was her late 20s, and she was the size she is now. I'm guessing her weight gain is steady through her 20s. I think the progression is "chubby tween, medium-sized teen, steady gain to morbid obesity in 20s, stays morbidly obese until present day."

You’re exactly right. The kids are going into 7th grade in that episode (the parents discuss it) and their birthday is Aug 30th, so they are 12. 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If DWTS staff can dance all through Disneyland at night and not look like strippers, tv-character Beth should be able to perform a waltz or quickstep or cha cha on pavement. Maybe she should have dressed better then, meaning like a child's dance instructor and not a lap-dancing hootchie girl. No way would I let my child attend her school after her parking-lot display, and I would especially not want my son -- or husband -- hanging out there.

Why was the name of her studio "Clarke" and not "Pearson"? I thought that's what the sign said.

I see your point.  During one part of the dance, her dress did come up awfully high---higher than I was was expecting---and I thought "Wow, I'm surprised that NBC didn't balk at that and left it in."

The name of the dance studio might be Clarke because she spent the majority of her childhood dancing (when she was Bethany Clarke, not Beth Pearson.  It could have also have been a way to honor her mother and particularly her father, whom she was close to, who sacrificed a great deal to give her the opportunity to dance as a child and as a young woman.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

The name of the dance studio might be Clarke because she spent the majority of her childhood dancing (when she was Bethany Clarke, not Beth Pearson. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know her maiden name and thought maybe the show was taking over some existing studio for shooting and missed changing the sign. I block so many small details about this show. Some big details, too.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kili said:

This is one of the rare cases where it isn't random. She's introducing a dance studio so some dancing would be expected. Her intent was to do some dancing and then teach the audience some moves to get them interested in joining.  Realistically, she'll probably need to offer a variety of classes when starting out a new studio to maximize potential clients.

I think that her dance seemed a little unpolished because it had to be a little ad hoc. She had planned for the event to occur inside on a proper dance floor and that she would have time to prepare (maybe put on a ballet outfit). But, with the dead animal problems, she had to spend time with the exterminator and then suddenly move all the stuff they had already set up outside (they were setting up as cars were arriving).  Pavement isn't the best medium to be doing ballet on and she may have had to wing it a little by doing a different style given her outfit, her shoes and the parking lot.

I saw her as prepared to do a demo--though maybe not exactly in the parking lot--because those looked like Capezio jazz shoes. I agree that she would also have to attract lots of different customers with different dance styles, especially starting out. 

I also felt for her because when I was a fitness instructor I was called on to do demos in weird places on behalf of the gym where I worked--like at home shows and such--and it's AWKWARD to grapevine when everyone's just staring. Kind of like weddings without booze.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If this doesn't workout for Beth, she could always open a strip club. 

LOL, I have been there more times than I care to count..

I do think she is wearing an overweight suit of some sort.  If she were really that big, I would expect her to have breathing issues when she moves, easily noticeable when she says her lines.

I really think it's all her. 

• Love 2

The Utz potato chips box Beth carried into the studio! Such a Philadelphia area thing! This show really has their props right! 

I thought when Beth asked Randall about the lemon he was going to say, "When my dad found me the doctor told him right before that if life gives you the sourest lemon..." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 10/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Cassidy needs some makeup .

How dare a woman appear in public in anything less a fully made up face? It's not like we have anything else to offer except our looks...🤦🏾‍♀️

I'm sick of that tuft of hair on Toby's head-- cut it off for chrissakes the rest of the hair won't come back to keep that hair company. 

I have been looking at fat men with pretty wives on TV for my entire life but Kate gets excessive vitriol and dissection. I bet Toby had to move his stomach to see his dick for years, but nobody went after him the way they go after Kate.

22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

it was a hootchie dance

I know Beth can't do anything right--god forbid a black woman express joy or frustration, but the dance was salsa, hence the music. Here are some moves.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

I know Beth can't do anything right--god forbid a black woman express joy or frustration, but the dance was salsa, hence the music.

Seriously. Beth wasn't being overtly sexual or inappropriate in her dance demo. I've seen far more hip grinding on DWTS. And she was more covered up than if she were wearing a bathing suit at the beach and WAY more covered up than many of the female pros on DWTS who wear costumes that are little more than a string of sequins (and for the record, I'm fine with those costumes too).

Hell, she was pretty covered up considering that she was at a dance studio. The most common outfit you see at dance classes these days are sports bras with booty shorts (which, again, still cover more than girls in bikinis at the pool). I keep thinking that we've moved past slut shaming women for the way they dress, the way they look, the way they dance, etc. but apparently not.

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe she should have dressed better then, meaning like a child's dance instructor and not a lap-dancing hootchie girl. No way would I let my child attend her school after her parking-lot display, and I would especially not want my son -- or husband -- hanging out there.

I started taking dance classes when I was three and I continued dancing until well into my 30s. Most of my dance teachers wore leotards, sports bras, etc. What Beth was wearing covered far more than that. I would have no problem with my husband or son seeing a woman dancing while wearing a long wrap dress. The outfit in question:

628880641_beth3.thumb.jpg.9a465e8dc089a564ee4236d9b3d75d31.jpg

943182664_beth4.thumb.jpg.83b949f1b957aff1881cc239b17aa19a.jpg

• Love 22
7 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

You're right, it's all her.  I dont think she will ever really lose weight.

The reason I say this is that

Spoiler

she appears regularly on various talk shows.  It really leaves me awe struck, because, I cannot fathom how she is able to get out of bed, go to work, and basically function at her size.  It really boggles the mind.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No way would I let my child attend her school after her parking-lot display, and I would especially not want my son -- or husband -- hanging out there.

That sounds like an issue of trust with a spouse, not Beth's fault. Geez.

As for Malik, yes many boys of his age are ready and willing to have sex. The difference with Malik is that he and his partner had sex without protection. That's a lack of responsibility. Now Beth and Randall may eventually decide that the result of that lack of responsibility made Malik very mature. But I do understand a parent's concern when a kid (the act occurred 15 months ago, right? 6 months plus 9 months), did not take due precaution.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mars477 said:

Yeah, slut shaming a woman, particularly a black women (albeit a fictional character) for doing something mundane as dancing while wearing a dress that more or less reaches her ankles is pretty yikes.  Maybe if this was a show set in the 50s (the 1850s, that is) the pearl clutching would be warranted.  But Beth wasn’t twerking or grinding up on anybody, she was doing a traditional dance.

Guess we’re shaming Beth for doing a salsa,  shaming Cassidy for having stress lines, and shaming Kate for being obese.  Did I miss anyone?

I'm with @Mars477 and @ElectricBoogaloo. I'm floored that Beth's dance and dance attire would be considered provocative. Beth was wearing a calf-length dress and wasn't showing cleavage. And a dancer dancing at the opening of her dance studio is to be expected, and she was doing salsa dancing, which is not overtly sexy, AND she was dancing alone - it's not like she and Randall were getting freaky. If she were twerking in a bikini, I might see the issue, but she wasn't. I don't watch Dancing with the Stars but a quick Google search shows me all the female competitors, both dancing pros and stars, showing more skin than Beth was showing, and that's a family show. Ballet dancers, male and female, wear skintight clothes to dance in that leave nothing to the imagination; Beth was showing way less than they would be, and that's just ... what they have to wear (meaning they don't go out of their way to dress provocatively; it's just known that if you're going to do ballet, you do it in tights and leotards). Good grief.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, Mars477 said:

Yeah, slut shaming a woman, particularly a black women (albeit a fictional character) for doing something mundane as dancing while wearing a dress that more or less reaches her ankles is pretty yikes.

What? Where is the "slut shaming"? And no one can criticize Beth because she's black? Please. Look up "hootchy chootchy" (definition and videos). I watch a lot of old BW movies and that is exactly what her dance appeared to be TO ME and I THOUGHT IT WAS NOT APPROPRIATE. I don't care what dance instructors wear DURING CLASSES or what DWTS dancers wear. This was a family gathering with everyone in the neighborhood invited (I guess) so can anyone explain why she did not elect to show how to TEACH someone to dance since she is selling dancing LESSONS, not dancing SHOWS?

I'm just expressing my opinion and how I felt about that scene. It was written wrong IMO. And I don't give a care what color or race Beth or anyone else is. I would have written the same thing if it were a white man doing that dance to promote his dance studio opening.

Meanwhile, in other news, I agree with other posters that Claire Huxtable really does only have one expression, smirky. It's hard to tell when she is suppose to be acting some other way. Or maybe she's always suppose to be smirking and superior.

I was gobsmacked when I saw Crissy Metz in her silver dress on the Emmy purple carpet. But I guess we are not suppose to talk about that either.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This was a family gathering with everyone in the neighborhood invited (I guess) so can anyone explain why she did not elect to show how to TEACH someone to dance since she is selling dancing LESSONS, not dancing SHOWS?

She expressly said "I'm going to do a demo for you, and then I'm going to invite you up and teach you." I assume she was going to teach them the dance she had just performed, and while I'm not a dancer, I feel safe in assuming that's common for dance teachers to do. Students watch what it's supposed to look like, and then the teacher breaks it down. (Happened in a yoga class I took this morning with Bird of Paradise pose. The teacher did it, then she talked us through it.)

Also, Beth was trying to entice prospective students, not teachers. Showing prospective students how to teach someone to dance is going to be way less interesting to them than showing them how to dance is.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 7

I don't care what dance instructors wear DURING CLASSES or what DWTS dancers wear. This was a family gathering with everyone in the neighborhood invited (I guess)

It was an invitation to the opening of a dance studio, not a neighborhood party that she decided to hijack to show her dancing skills. People coming to the introduction of a dance studio should expect to see some dancing and some dancing instructors dressed as dance instructors. It would have been in the actual studio if not for the death of a opossum.

I would argue that people interested in dance lessons who are offended by dancers dancing would probably be difficult customers for a dance studio to satisfy, so chasing them off on the first day by dancing in front of them would probably a good idea.

so can anyone explain why she did not elect to show how to TEACH someone to dance since she is selling dancing LESSONS, not dancing SHOWS?

She was electing to teach someone to dance. She said that she was going to show some dancing and would then invite people in attendance to learn how to do it. This is Us just failed us to show what happened next.

Here is the quote from the show:

"I'm gonna do a short demo for you all. And then I'm gonna invite you up  and I'm gonna teach you, right? All right."

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

She expressly said "I'm going to do a demo for you, and then I'm going to invite you up and teach you."

Thanks! Obviously, I missed that. As I posted way above, I don't pay much attention to small details in this show, nor the larger details either it appears. Thank you for posting. Now the scene makes more sense.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2019 at 6:46 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Randall and Beth insisting they had to meet Malik before Deja could go to the movies with him was giving me My So-Called Life vibes.

Ohhh, poor Angela waiting for him in the living room looking so pretty on a school night. But I would have forgiven Jordan Catalano pretty much anything in a heartbeat, too, lol. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The reason I say this is that

Reveal spoiler

she appears regularly on various talk shows.  It really leaves me awe struck, because, I cannot fathom how she is able to get out of bed, go to work, and basically function at her size.  It really boggles the mind.  

In the previous episode it seems Kate was started a new exercise regime of just walking with the neighbor and the baby 

Spoiler

As far as Chrissy, she is very large, but I’ve never been amazed she goes to work. I mean she’s not in the 700lbs category. She probably cannot run or stand for hours but she certainly can live her life. I don’t know how tall she is, but I know Mandy Moore is 5’9 so she’s maybe 5’4? She’s likely 350-380lbs, being an apple shape makes her look bigger. Not all super morbidly obese people are disabled.

• Love 5

My UO - I was not impressed by Beth’s dance demo.  I’m at a loss how that would generate clients.

ETA- Okay, somehow I hit reply on an earlier page so thought I was starting a new topic rather than joining a whole page of comments about her dancing. 🤦‍♀️

I actually loved Beth’s dress.  I thought she needed to introduce what  dance she had planned.  Instead she just started shaking her shoulders and taking what looked like random steps you’d see anyone doing on a dance floor so why people would think they needed to pay to learn that was lost to me.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Mars477 said:

Guess we’re shaming Beth for doing a salsa,  shaming Cassidy for having stress lines, and shaming Kate for being obese.  Did I miss anyone?

Shaming us for having opinions about  fictional TV characters on a forum that's dedicated to talking about the shows.

• Love 14

I actually can see both sides of these issues.  Beth's dance demo just looked out of place in the parking lot, but they made it part of the story.  If Beth was in the dance studio, announced she was going to demonstrate a salsa, Caribbean dance, or whatever she wanted to call it, and then proceeded, I don't think anyone here would have commented on it.

Cassidy's makeup or lack thereof is, I suppose, to reflect her current situation of being stressed out with problems.  While she doesn't look like a glamour girl, it's fair to comment that she could use a little extra makeup to look better.

I think we always comment about how the characters look on the show.  It doesn't have to be a confrontation or agenda driven.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

My UO - I was not impressed by Beth’s dance demo.  I’m at a loss how that would generate clients.

ETA- Okay, somehow I hit reply on an earlier page so thought I was starting a new topic rather than joining a whole page of comments about her dancing. 🤦‍♀️

I actually loved Beth’s dress.  I thought she needed to introduce what  dance she had planned.  Instead she just started shaking her shoulders and taking what looked like random steps you’d see anyone doing on a dance floor so why people would think they needed to pay to learn that was lost to me.

Yup, that sums up my thoughts as well. I didn't think she was being overly and inappropriately sexual or anything - in fact, I thought she looked great! - it's just that her dancing didn't seem really... professional. It looked more like a random person suddenly breaking into a dance than a qualified instructor showing off their skills. I don't see why it would get people to sign up for her class either. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

I have been looking at fat men with pretty wives on TV for my entire life but Kate gets excessive vitriol and dissection.

Because she is not your average everyday overweight person. She is not even a 100 lbs overweight  person. I won't say how much over I think she is but, she is not going to live long.

• Love 1

But it's great that people are free to post whatever they want to and for whatever reason they may have. Others are free to voice a differing view but it's fine for everyone to have their own opinion. I thought she looked beautiful but it wasn't the best outfit to showcase her dancing instructor skills because it was difficult to see her foot work etc. But I don't think the story was really about her teaching just yet.

• Love 6

I have no issue with Cassidy going makeup-free. Yes, there are some people who refuse to leave the house without full hair and makeup, but there are lots of other people who walk around with bare faces and their hair pulled into a ponytail every single day, even people who aren't recovering alcoholics going through divorces who have PTSD - regular people who aren't going through a ton of stress but choose not to go through the ritual of putting on makeup every single day. There is definitely a huge range with the women I know. Some just wear lip gloss. Others put on a full face of makeup (foundation, mascara, eye shadow, concealer, blush, lipstick). Others are somewhere in between. No one HAS to wear makeup. Some people love it and some people can't be bothered, whether it's the time or the money it requires.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have no issue with Cassidy going makeup-free. Yes, there are some people who refuse to leave the house without full hair and makeup, but there are lots of other people who walk around with bare faces and their hair pulled into a ponytail every single day, even people who aren't recovering alcoholics going through divorces who have PTSD - regular people who aren't going through a ton of stress but choose not to go through the ritual of putting on makeup every single day. There is definitely a huge range with the women I know. Some just wear lip gloss. Others put on a full face of makeup (foundation, mascara, eye shadow, concealer, blush, lipstick). Others are somewhere in between. No one HAS to wear makeup. Some people love it and some people can't be bothered, whether it's the time or the money it requires.

Not to mention that she’s not anywhere where she, as a discharged Marine coming off of a tour of duty in a combat zone, would necessarily want to make herself “look better”. From female soldiers and marines on Military Twitter a lot of them just don’t bother with that much makeup when deployed overseas, and Cassidy was a FET member working in a combat zone and not a desk clerk in a garrison.  She’s not going to an AA meeting to pick up guys or make friends, even if she has still unintentionally managed to do so in Kevin.  Contrast a show like Chicago PD where female cops are engaging in firefights with perfectly styled, flowing hair getting in their eyes.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

I fully expected Randall to spiral into a full blown anxiety attack when Rebecca basically forced him along with herself to go sit with Beth and Beth's mom (Carole).   That anxiety attack didn't happen when I think it should have.

When Randall is in control of any given situation, he seems to have the confidence to push through.  When he was written up by the teacher in a previous episode for wearing sneakers at his private school, he wasn't in control of that situation at all.   He panicked.  He was flipping out.   He lost total control of that situation as soon as he decide to wear those sneakers and the teacher wrote him up for it.  He has lived with Pearson family since he was born.  He has no need to be afraid of his family, unless there is something going on in that family that would make him afraid.

I don't know the whole story in terms of Randall's biological mom and dad, so if there is a biological (heredity) element to Randall's anxiety, I do hope the writers go there.

Randall as an adult is a control freak.   He has to be in order  to function.   Unfortunately, because he is such a control freak out of necessity, he comes off as a total jerk.

Randall as a teenager wouldn't have had the anxiety attack if he hadn't worn the sneakers at school in the first place.    He wore them to impress.  He is that social awkward.  As an adult his kids can see how totally socially awkward Randall is.  Randall knows he is socially awkward.

If Randall had receive help for his anxiety when he  was a child, perhaps that anxiety wouldn't have gotten worse as an adult.

Randall is lucky in one area.  He has self-confidence when he is in charge of any given task.  

If he didn't have any self-confidence and also had anxiety related issues?  Yikes. 

Yes, it seems like they are making Tess have an anxiety attack next week. Not something she would want to inherit if it is inherited at all.  Interesting to see how they handle it.

I have worked with a lot of people with control issues and OCD (desk/area had to be the same or super neat) and it's stressful on them but also for people around them. Randall seems controlling but I don't see him needing to have his home or work area a certain way. That coupled with anxiety and OCD is very draining not only for the person but others around them. I've seen marriages end because of just controlling everything in the home and cleanliness, it seems almost funny, but when that anxiety of having everything a certain way, to control the actions of others, it consumes you. I find the lesser version of that with Randall exhausting to watch on TV at times. I'm glad we hear some conversation on that with Tess next Tuesday.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, momma2seven said:

People criticizing a fully dressed female actor while dancing...on a show that has now shown three male actors fully naked behinds. Ok.

Were the men naked at an outdoor, afternoon event intended to get parents to sign their kids up for class?  

We've seen Beth in skimpy lingerie in her bedroom and seemingly naked in her tub.  No one is complaining about Beth showing too much skin.  In fact nobody is complaining about Beth at all, she's probably the most well liked character on the show.  It's about the dance that the writer and director asked the actress to do.

I went back and watched her salsa dance.  The moment that was  a little bit startling was when Beth opened her dress to about six inches above crotch level. Yes, she was wearing matching pants, but it was an odd move. 

I didn't mind it as a demonstration of talent, it just didn't seem like something that would make me think, "I want my little girl to learn to do that!"  I think a ballet demonstration would have been more persuasive.

As for comparing anything to DWTS. DWTS will always be worse.  I quit watching that show for two reasons.  Too much time talking to the judges and too many excited, standing ovations for nearly naked hot bodies vs good dancers. 

Yes, I am clutching my pearls.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/15/2019 at 10:22 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Cassidy needs some makeup . She has that permanent frown that’s glued to her face and she’s not too appealing .

I am not sure if you are referring to the actress having a make up to make her face more "attractive" or the character.

If it is the actress, you can bet she does have make up. Maybe it is make up to make her look tired, but she odes have make up on.

If it is the character, I can say that I NEVER wear make up. I am over 50 and don't even own make up. I did wear a lot of it in my 20's but that was it. Maybe at more formal parties I might have some very high lipstick on but that's it. I am fine with women without make up anytime for any reason.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

If it is the character, I can say that I NEVER wear make up. I am over 50 and don't even own make up. I did wear a lot of it in my 20's but that was it. Maybe at more formal parties I might have some very high lipstick on but that's it. I am fine with women without make up anytime for any reason.

I am also one of those people who rarely wear makeup. I use lotion with sunscreen and a little powder in the morning but that's about it. On the rare occasions I've had full makeup on it just annoys me and makes me afraid to touch my face. I have to leave for work by a little after 7am and I am not a morning person, so I can't imagine getting up early enough to do it every day. I'm lucky if I take the time to fully dry my hair (which generally depends on how much time I have and how cold it is outside). Even as a teenager I didn't wear much more than eyeliner and lip gloss.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, momma2seven said:

People criticizing a fully dressed female actor while dancing...on a show that has now shown three male actors fully naked behinds. Ok.

::racks brain::

There was Jack 1.0 in the pilot, and Jack 2.0 in this season's premiere. Who am I forgetting?

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Randall knows he is socially awkward.

Does he, though?

Young Randall seems to know that he's socially awkward, but Adult Randall is so weirdly cocky in social situations - even though his cornball persona never seems to charm anyone, or elicit a single laugh from the people around him. And he never listens to Beth's advice to slow his roll. 

He didn't seem that way in season one (except when he sang at his daughters' school about his job), but beginning in season two the writers decided to take away all of his self-awareness, and make him completely exasperating. As a result, he seems a lot less like a real person than he used to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

A general comment, I think most people dislike Kate not because of her behavior but because of her being obese. In real life, people seem to take it really personally when an obese oerson doesn't really try to lose weight. I don't know why that is. They can see an obese person eating and say "OMG their health..." and be angry at them but if they see a really skinny, close to anorexic person, they will just feel sorry for them. 

Kate was right being mad at Toby for going to the gym. I get the get healthy motion but he could make his diet better and wait for the gym thing after the baby was a little older. Kate needs all the support possible now and him staying away from the house for more time than needed for his job was inconsiderate in my opinion. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, himela said:

A general comment, I think most people dislike Kate not because of her behavior but because of her being obese. In real life, people seem to take it really personally when an obese oerson doesn't really try to lose weight. I don't know why that is. They can see an obese person eating and say "OMG their health..." and be angry at them but if they see a really skinny, close to anorexic person, they will just feel sorry for them. 

Kate was right being mad at Toby for going to the gym. I get the get healthy motion but he could make his diet better and wait for the gym thing after the baby was a little older. Kate needs all the support possible now and him staying away from the house for more time than needed for his job was inconsiderate in my opinion. 

I agree, although America has gotten bigger over the decades with weight, people are more biased toward it. I know a few women who are way too thin, obsessive with what they eat and weight but they are given a pass more often.

I work in a medical office and yes, you can be very unhealthy thin and heavy and vice versa. No one can say your knees like over 250 pounds on them or your heart but believe me, they know it, no other person, doctor or fan has to tell them. You can say what you want, but weight on joints never feels good. That said,  people who are fitness nuts like Bob Harper can have heart attacks too and he came close to dying. High cholesterol effects marathon runners and a heavy person can have great lab work.

I know it makes me uncomfortable to see Chrissy, not because I have a bias against people who are heavy (I'm Italian, many in my family are) but because she always looks uncomfortable to me while others I know, don't. I don't want to be distracted by that from her work. Sometimes I don't see it but when I do, I feel bad for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6