Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: He ʻōʻio kuhihewa; he kākā ola i ʻike ʻia e ka makaulā (Don’t Blame Ghosts and Spirits for One’s Troubles; a Human is Responsible)

• Start Topic

I guess, since this was set on Halloween we can say Danny was MIA this week because he was taking Charlie trick or treating or to his own party (with or without Rachel tagging along). It was nice to see Masi back as Max;  I wish we could see more of his adopted son, Tunde.

5-0's Halloween episodes are generally hit and miss so I would say this one is a hit. No excessive gore this time around although my gore threshold was raised to new heights by the absurdly excessive gore on Preacher.

Eddie as the world's cutest and laziest lion was awesome. Although one would think Steve would know that only female lions have the mane so he was basically dressing his dog up in drag.

I like Tani and Quinn together although their banter made me wonder about where the show is going with Tani and Junior. If she feels that way about him, she'll either sleep with him or tell him, in that order. She hasn't so I take that to mean she just isn't that into him despite multiple life-or-death situations they have been through together. I predict she's going to get herself a bad boyfriend and Junior will mope but it will all work out when the bad boyfriend is shot or arrested (in that order) by Junior and then he can have his moment with Tani. I do not expect their relationship to evolve naturally as it would tend to do amongst coworkers who are in some pretty intimate situations with one another. Only contrivance will suffice for 5-0!

4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

5-0's Halloween episodes are generally hit and miss so I would say this one is a hit. No excessive gore this time around although my gore threshold was raised to new heights by the absurdly excessive gore on Preacher.

Eddie as the world's cutest and laziest lion was awesome. Although one would think Steve would know that only female lions have the mane so he was basically dressing his dog up in drag.

This is... not true.  You have it flipped.

It kind of strains my suspension of disbelief that those kids didn’t go all “Aw puppy!” when Eddie did his little flop.

The action, again, was pretty terrible.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I like Tani and Quinn together although their banter made me wonder about where the show is going with Tani and Junior. If she feels that way about him, she'll either sleep with him or tell him, in that order. She hasn't so I take that to mean she just isn't that into him despite multiple life-or-death situations they have been through together. I predict she's going to get herself a bad boyfriend and Junior will mope but it will all work out when the bad boyfriend is shot or arrested (in that order) by Junior and then he can have his moment with Tani. I do not expect their relationship to evolve naturally as it would tend to do amongst coworkers who are in some pretty intimate situations with one another. Only contrivance will suffice for 5-0!

You got the lion's mane sex flipped. It is only the male. There was a doc on a select group of lions somewhere in Africa that I saw where they had mutated so that neither the male or female grew a mane. In any case it is Halloween so nobody cares. I do remember an episode, probably Adam-12 were they had the shotguns out ready to protect the public  when they got close enough to see it was a dog with its hair styled to vismod a lion.

Got beat by a minute

I feel like we missed some important scenes like Max finding out Flippa lost his son or Flippa learning that they found Tunde. I know Max is a chill guy but his son was witness to 10 cops pointing a gun at someone who wasnt raised but kept captive and doesnt have the understanding of how the world works. He should have some type of emotion.

I like the Quinn Tani friendship I forgot what that was like because there hasn't been to lead females for a longtime. 

• Love 5

Well, Halloween episodes are always way over-the-top and this one was no exception. I was not a fan of the pseudo-gothic plot. An ex-nun with a handbook for exorcism, salt and holy oil sounds more like something straight out of an episode of SPN, where it would make perfect sense. Also: only an ordained priest can perform an exorcism after a careful examination and after getting permission by the bishop *realizes she's talking about an episode of H5-0* never mind. I liked seeing Max again and I must admit they made sure that he gets involved in a plot with an emotional connection to his backstory. That was surprisingly subtle.

Well, obviously Eddie keeps being the MVP - closely followed by Noelani who's awesome because she cares so much about her job. And she's also awesome because dressing up as Elton John complete with English accent was cute and nobody really appreciated it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I must have missed something when I flipped over to the World Series for a minute - how did Steve and Junior track down the car with the third guy in the trunk?

I was waiting for five-0 to get some kind of notice about Flippa losing the kid, but... nothing.  Was anyone even aware of it? Did Flippa call anyone??  He isn’t the most mobile guy - not like he was running around the neighborhood looking for the boy.  Who looked a little old to just wander off with some strange kid, IMO.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Raja said:

Eddie as the world's cutest and laziest lion was awesome.

And the lady lions do all the work too. My dog *hates* when other dogs are wearing costumes. She aggressively barks at them. And we lived in Japan. They *dress* dogs up. Hard.

I forgot about Halloween with this show. I like that they do it every year.

Seriously "Q" ha.

Great, so a bunch of religious people let their own superstition fuck someone over for life. That's more of a horror story than Halloween is.

10 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I like the Quinn Tani friendship I forgot what that was like because there hasn't been to lead females for a longtime.

As much as I like to rip the show, I have to give credit that they're doing well with this. I'm going to assume Katrina Law actually made the narrative suggestion, and they were like 'oohh yeah that makes total sense.'

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I must have missed something when I flipped over to the World Series for a minute - how did Steve and Junior track down the car with the third guy in the trunk?

After they figured out it was the sister who kidnapped him, they pinged her cell phone to track her location.

Steve is a Top Gun lover and try saying that to the Millennials LOL

But really it was a cool Halloween episode. 

Eddie grows and grows and beyond our love

Tani and Quinn gal power to them

Noleni with her Elton John accent cute

Thought Max meant he had a baby. But his son was so cute. Glad to have Msi back!

No Danny there but otherwise 9/10!

7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

And the lady lions do all the work too. My dog *hates* when other dogs are wearing costumes. She aggressively barks at them. And we lived in Japan. They *dress* dogs up. Hard.

I forgot about Halloween with this show. I like that they do it every year.

Seriously "Q" ha.

Great, so a bunch of religious people let their own superstition fuck someone over for life. That's more of a horror story than Halloween is.

As much as I like to rip the show, I have to give credit that they're doing well with this. I'm going to assume Katrina Law actually made the narrative suggestion, and they were like 'oohh yeah that makes total sense.'

Must be some kind of coding error. My line wasn't the "cute Eddie" one. In any case I remember a lion pride versus hyena clan show on one of those nature/science channels when I finally found out what the Lion King does besides eat first. He is McGarrett, the 5-0 task force of the pride while not "working" for the community he is their protector. And should he fall  the new king will kill all of the cubs so that the females will mate with him.

It is hard to believe that a nun in the 1980s would lock a boy away in solitary like that

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 5:50 AM, Raja said:

It is hard to believe that a nun in the 1980s would lock a boy away in solitary like that

Particularly since the movie Mask about a teenager with similar facial etc. deformities came out in 1985 to great acclaim. 

Poor kid.

I miss Max, but I do love Noelani.  Loved his mini-me.

I love Noelani, but, MAN, that was the worst English accent I've ever heard. She sounded like she was doing a stereotypically offensive Asian accent.

Loved: Flippa's mother ("Bring it in, four-eyes") and Tunde, Quinn and Tani becoming friends, and, of course, Eddie the happy, floppy lion king.

Meh, I knew this was going to be a little ridiculous given that it was the Halloween episode. 

Is Max coming back, or was this just a one time thing?  And his son is clearly adopted, right?  How long has Max been gone, just one season?

So the deformed guy in the basement... he had some genetic mutation that caused his muscles and bones to grow at different rates, as I think Max described it.  I never heard them say "Elephant Man" specifically, but would it have been the same kind of thing?  They fixated on the two different eye color, obviously because the head nun had the two different eye color thing going on too.  I have seen people with two different eye colors (I think the actress Kate Bosworth has the condition), but it's never so bright blue like a White Walker from GOT.  It was so obvious that clearly the show was drawing attention to it when we first saw the nun.  Also, I suppose this condition gave him super human strength to maul the would be robber?  The implication was that he was some type of monster with limited intellectual capacity and understanding.  Yet he seemingly was gentle enough to accept a lollipop and then shockingly (and conveniently to tie the stupid story line together) said "two blue eyes", which was lame o.

23 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Is Max coming back, or was this just a one time thing?  And his son is clearly adopted, right?  How long has Max been gone, just one season?

It was a one shot special guest appearance Noelani Cunha is the franchise medical examiner , both here since season 8 and on Magnum PI 

12 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Meh, I knew this was going to be a little ridiculous given that it was the Halloween episode. 

So the deformed guy in the basement... he had some genetic mutation that caused his muscles and bones to grow at different rates, as I think Max described it.  I never heard them say "Elephant Man" specifically, but would it have been the same kind of thing?  They fixated on the two different eye color, obviously because the head nun had the two different eye color thing going on too.  I have seen people with two different eye colors (I think the actress Kate Bosworth has the condition), but it's never so bright blue like a White Walker from GOT.  It was so obvious that clearly the show was drawing attention to it when we first saw the nun.  Also, I suppose this condition gave him super human strength to maul the would be robber?  The implication was that he was some type of monster with limited intellectual capacity and understanding.  Yet he seemingly was gentle enough to accept a lollipop and then shockingly (and conveniently to tie the stupid story line together) said "two blue eyes", which was lame o.

Regarding the bolded: So far, it appears Masi’s appearance was just a 1-time thing. Yes, Max’s son is adopted; I’m 99.9% positive he actually said so in the episode, as well (he really couldn’t be anything other than adopted or a foster child, or living with Max under some kind of guardianship arrangement, because Max is Japanese by birth & his [unseen in this episode] wife, Sabrina, is white). Max & Masi Oka (who played/plays him) were written out at midseason of Season 7. But Kimee Balmilero/Dr. Noelani Cunha was first seen at the beginning of Season 7, as Max was on a sabbatical from the Honolulu Medical Examiner’s office & volunteering with Doctors Without Borders—which is ultimately how he was written out; he found that work more fulfilling than the Medical Examiner’s job.

I didn’t catch what they said about the deformed guy, but I thought—& someone else said upthread—he looked like the real-life young man whose life the 1985 movie Mask was based on. He had a craniofacial deformity.

I don’t think having 2 different eye colors gave the guy in the episode any superpowers. As you said, there are people who have 2 different colored eyes in real life & they don’t have any superpowers. I think it’s probably just a genetic mutation or something.

12 hours ago, Raja said:

It was a one shot special guest appearance Noelani Cunha is the franchise medical examiner , both here since season 8 and on Magnum PI 

Noelani’s actually been the ME on the show since the beginning of Season 7. Max had breakfast somewhere with Steve at either the end of Season 6 or the beginning of Season 7 where he showed him a letter he was apparently about to submit saying he was taking/requesting a sabbatical because he wanted to volunteer with Doctors Without Borders. That set up Max’s eventual permanent departure at midseason of Season 7. They introduced Noelani at the beginning of Season 7 while Max was still on his sabbatical.

Noelani then became a regular, as opposed to recurring, cast member as of the beginning of Season 8 after the other unexpected departures of Daniel Dae Kim & Grace Park (except maybe for Grace Park’s being expected, since they put out a casting call for a new female Five-0 team member at the end of Season 7)—I think you got that confused with when the character of Noelani joined the show. Also, Kimee Balmilero’s credits show she played a totally unrelated character, named Allison, in an earlier episode & season.

14 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Also, I suppose this condition gave him super human strength to maul the would be robber?

No, but he could be naturally strong, and being terrified for many many reasons may have given him enough of a jolt to beat up the robber. Of all the ridiculousness on the show, I'm ok with a little handwave here.