Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

WendyCR72

S02.E03: The Bet

Recommended Posts

To air on October 13, 2019:

Officer Nolan navigates building tension in his relationship with Jessica and a developing rapport with Grace while working a high-stakes criminal case involving an undercover homeland security agent. Officer Chen meddles with Officer Bradford’s love life, and Officer Lopez learns some surprising news about Wesley.

Share this post


Link to post

The opening was so silly. Good to know the bees were so well trained to fly out when the door opened but not when the window was rolled down.

I thought Chen already had someone in mind when she approached Bradford with the bet.

So the Boot sees his boots on the floor to reveal they knocked boots!

"I can't really tell you that" was Jessica's response to Nolan. 5 seconds later, she's telling Lopez his information when she asked the same question.

At the hospital, Lopez tells Jessica: Grey said to give her whatever she needs. But then she ducks out to go to a party and leave Nolan alone. Where were DHS agents Jessica sent to help Nolan? 

I hope the sometimes feral eating Lopez controlled herself when tasting the mother's stew.

Jessica's time with Nolan is almost up. Might as well make her a thief, steal some of that $22 million in assets and get arrested, so the break up won't be too hard for Nolan.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nolan ignores Jessica's texts, Jessica is so hurt that she comes down to the station and commandeers Nolan forcing him to talk to her. Jessica ignores Nolan's phone calls, it's no big deal, get over it you big baby.

Didn't really like the episode, they threw a lot of stuff at you, most of it was stupid. 

Parents spank your children, maybe they will be able to hear you when you tell them to put down the gun.

They never really said the gun belonged to the guy, it would be funny if it wasn't his.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

What a racially diverse group of ex convicts. No way they were part of a prison gang.

Nolan deserved not having the Feds come relieve him from guard duty, that will teach him to volunteer for details 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I loved how the morgue has easily accessible tools available, like a dark "This Old House" episode.  And how the little circular saw had a mind all it's own and "Espo" (don't know his name on this show) couldn't edge away.  It's just one example of the silly, silly and more silly that permeates this show.

I found it all very amusing.  The Rookie is a keeper, as far as I'm concerned.  Don't cancel it, PTB.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They never really said the gun belonged to the guy, it would be funny if it wasn't his.

This.  They even specifically said that the guy's fingerprints were not on the gun.  He was not wearing gloves and it seems highly doubtful that he took the time to wipe the gun of prints in the middle of a foot chase.  I have no doubt that West will falsely write in the report that he saw the guy throw away the gun, then evidence will come to light showing that the report was falsified, much hand wringing will ensue and it will eventually be glossed over. 

5 hours ago, TWP said:

And how the little circular saw had a mind all it's own and "Espo" (don't know his name on this show) couldn't edge away.  It's just one example of the silly, silly and more silly that permeates this show.

The saw was vibrating/rolling towards Jon Huertas.  He just lay there.  I thought perhaps he couldn't move as he was still under the anesthetic from his surgery.  But then he asks Nolan for a gun.  So, he could use his arm to hold and operate a gun, but couldn't use the same arm to reach out and grab the handle of the very small saw that was slowly rolling towards him (and I presume the saw had an off/on switch which he could have disabled). 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't like how incompetent Nolan was in the episode. 

By the way, Fillion is looking really good this season. He must have really worked out over the hiatus.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The opening was so silly. Good to know the bees were so well trained to fly out when the door opened but not when the window was rolled down.

I got the impression he didn't roll down the window, but was yelling through it. But given some of the oddities throughout the episode, it's entirely possible I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Parents spank your children, maybe they will be able to hear you when you tell them to put down the gun.

Word!

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Also West should have felt bad. If he had never chased the guy (if indeed he was the one carrying the firearm) the woman would not have been shot. So, yeah, he does need to feel awful. Granted he did what he was supposed to do as a cop, but it was a cluster of errors.

Share this post


Link to post

20 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Did I miss where we find out what turned Bradford's date around? When we left Chen's eavesdropping, her friend had just slapped Bradford.

They didn't have to waste time showing it, any long time TV watcher knew it was coming 

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Did I miss where we find out what turned Bradford's date around? When we left Chen's eavesdropping, her friend had just slapped Bradford.

I missed it too.  I guess there wasn't a scene to show that.  It was supposed to be a surprise to the audience.  Just one out of multiple annoying elements in this episode.

Wouldn't they have given West a little more time to check out the provenance of the gun before telling him to let the suspect go?  I missed when they said it didn't have his fingerprints, though, so that doesn't make sense as the suspect wasn't wearing gloves.

Would a kid that age really be so defiant as to not listen to his mother about the gun?  I know kids can come to harm if they find a gun unattended, but wouldn't most kids quit it with their mother right there telling them to put it down?  I'm not a parent so I don't really know.

They sure make a big deal about sleeve length/rookies.  Is that really a thing?  I thought the premise was that if you passed your rookie test you got the short sleeves.

I don't like Nolan's current girlfriend, nor do I like the doctor at the hospital that they seem to be setting him up with next.  I guess I just don't care about his love life that much so am not interested in a triangle or whatever they seem to be telegraphing.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Did I miss where we find out what turned Bradford's date around? When we left Chen's eavesdropping, her friend had just slapped Bradford.

Chen's friend is talking to Bradford about him wanting to win the bet and she says that win for her would be a direct line to the watch commander. He responds that is something he could do. She then asks "And what would you want in return?". Cut to her slapping him across the face.

He knew Chen was watching and the slap across the face would win the bet, so he traded the slap (win for him) for direct line (win for her). Both won and met up later to win some more.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, kili said:

Chen's friend is talking to Bradford about him wanting to win the bet and she says that win for her would be a direct line to the watch commander. He responds that is something he could do. She then asks "And what would you want in return?". Cut to her slapping him across the face.

He knew Chen was watching and the slap across the face would win the bet, so he traded the slap (win for him) for direct line (win for her). Both won and met up later to win some more.

Oh, okay.  That makes more sense and is like something Bradford would do.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

I missed it too.  I guess there wasn't a scene to show that.  It was supposed to be a surprise to the audience.  Just one out of multiple annoying elements in this episode.

Wouldn't they have given West a little more time to check out the provenance of the gun before telling him to let the suspect go?  I missed when they said it didn't have his fingerprints, though, so that doesn't make sense as the suspect wasn't wearing gloves.

Would a kid that age really be so defiant as to not listen to his mother about the gun?  I know kids can come to harm if they find a gun unattended, but wouldn't most kids quit it with their mother right there telling them to put it down?  I'm not a parent so I don't really know.

They sure make a big deal about sleeve length/rookies.  Is that really a thing?  I thought the premise was that if you passed your rookie test you got the short sleeves.

I don't like Nolan's current girlfriend, nor do I like the doctor at the hospital that they seem to be setting him up with next.  I guess I just don't care about his love life that much so am not interested in a triangle or whatever they seem to be telegraphing.

Right now I will just go with the kid having some kind of disability as he seemed old enough to have the immediate stop command from his parents internalized. The only other explanation would be mom did not use her command voice in her panic.

According to me online retired LAPD friend from the Southland days the long sleeve thing is a big tradition in LAPD. Southland even played it in an episode about an Iraq vet Boot who froze like West in his first firefights. He gave this show a pilot tryout and now refuses to talk about it. I think the Chief of Police test and not passing the probationary year was made so Nathan Fillion could wear the short sleeves

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Raja said:

According to me online retired LAPD friend from the Southland days the long sleeve thing is a big tradition in LAPD. Southland even played it in an episode about an Iraq vet Boot who froze like West in his first firefights. He gave this show a pilot tryout and now refuses to talk about it. I think the Chief of Police test and not passing the probationary year was made so Nathan Fillion could wear the short sleeves

If anyone knows, what is the significance of the long vs. short sleeves?  IMHO, I think it is ridiculous to have to be rewarded to wear short sleeves.

Share this post


Link to post

31 minutes ago, preeya said:

If anyone knows, what is the significance of the long vs. short sleeves?  IMHO, I think it is ridiculous to have to be rewarded to wear short sleeves.

It is just tradition,like not being recognized by your first name by the upper classmen in a military service academy until you complete the freshman year.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kili said:

Chen's friend is talking to Bradford about him wanting to win the bet and she says that win for her would be a direct line to the watch commander. He responds that is something he could do. She then asks "And what would you want in return?". Cut to her slapping him across the face.

He knew Chen was watching and the slap across the face would win the bet, so he traded the slap (win for him) for direct line (win for her). Both won and met up later to win some more.

That's the way I took it - which made it all the more satisfying when Chen discovered him at her friend's house.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Parents spank your children, maybe they will be able to hear you when you tell them to put down the gun.

This would have never happened to Connie over on Young Sheldon.

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

Its funny, I have the episode recorded but I'd rather just read the comments instead. 

Better than I did. Forgot again, so I haven't seen this season at all. At this point, I'm fine with it. It's clear I don't miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, preeya said:

If anyone knows, what is the significance of the long vs. short sleeves?  IMHO, I think it is ridiculous to have to be rewarded to wear short sleeves.

Besides the tradition part, they are in LA.  I own like 3 long sleeved shirts total.  It's going to be in the 80s this week.  Wearing that long sleeved uniform shirt would be hot.

Even though the older cop was encouraging West to lie, could he really and get away with it?  Wouldn't his body cam footage show he wasn't even close enough to the guy to see him toss his gun when the guy was in the vicinity of where the kid picked the gun up?

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Even though the kid looked pretty old, he was probably too stupid to say where he found the gun at and if he saw the man toss it away.

Good point

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

If anyone knows, what is the significance of the long vs. short sleeves?  IMHO, I think it is ridiculous to have to be rewarded to wear short sleeves.

The long sleeved shirts are wool.

The short sleeves -- cotton/polyester? At any rate given normal temperatures in LA, moving to short sleeves would be a mitzvah.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

So, Officer Chen's friend agrees to help her out with this bet, go out with Bradford, but then not only does nothing to help her friend actually win the bet (being totally disinterested in Bradford initially), but then makes a side deal where Chen loses/Bradford wins so she can get her inside contact?  Wow.  That's one really bad friend.

Once again, I love how TV characters have amazing places to live.  Being a social worker in LA must pay pretty well to afford that nice house. 

Lopez and Wesley are no longer living together, right?  I wonder if finding out he's from money with a trust fund will give her some incentive to not live like a total slob. 

I really don't want a love triangle with Nolan. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if finding out he's from money with a trust fund will give her some incentive to not live like a total slob. 

They got a cleaning lady.

Although you'd think a police officer, with a union wage, and a lawyer would be able to afford that without a trust fund.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I wonder if finding out he's from money with a trust fund will give her some incentive to not live like a total slob. 

They got a cleaning lady.

Although you'd think a police officer, with a union wage, and a lawyer would be able to afford that without a trust fund.

To be fair, he's not a high powered lawyer, so his income probably isn't all that great. But yeah, they could still afford a cleaner.

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/14/2019 at 4:18 PM, Clanstarling said:

That's the way I took it - which made it all the more satisfying when Chen discovered him at her friend's house.

I don't believe that Bradford would want to take the chance that Chen's friend would share (what he would consider) private details about his life with Chen, no matter how attractive she is.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, Blue Plastic said:

Would a kid that age really be so defiant as to not listen to his mother about the gun?  I know kids can come to harm if they find a gun unattended, but wouldn't most kids quit it with their mother right there telling them to put it down?  I'm not a parent so I don't really know.

I had the impression that maybe the kid had autism or something, where he might not have been able to follow Mom's orders. But yeah, they didn't specify, so it was kind of odd. I would have expected a toddler or preschooler to do that, not so much a kid of seven or thereabouts.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, preeya said:

If anyone knows, what is the significance of the long vs. short sleeves?  IMHO, I think it is ridiculous to have to be rewarded to wear short sleeves.

Regardless of the reasons for it, I really don't think Bradford could just arbitrarily ban Chen from them if she earned it. I'm sure that she would likely be scared to speak up against him (and I know this is being done to be "funny"). But in today's world, especially with it being a female officer, I would think this would be seen as a form of discrimination or harassment. It would also be noticed by everyone else, so Bradford would most likely have to explain himself. I doubt he could in reality get away with it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I had the impression that maybe the kid had autism or something, where he might not have been able to follow Mom's orders. But yeah, they didn't specify, so it was kind of odd. I would have expected a toddler or preschooler to do that, not so much a kid of seven or thereabouts.

Regardless of the reasons for it, I really don't think Bradford could just arbitrarily ban Chen from them if she earned it. I'm sure that she would likely be scared to speak up against him (and I know this is being done to be "funny"). But in today's world, especially with it being a female officer, I would think this would be seen as a form of discrimination or harassment. It would also be noticed by everyone else, so Bradford would most likely have to explain himself. I doubt he could in reality get away with it.

As a tradition it depends upon  who the keepers of tradition  would support the letter of the law which says short sleeve is an acceptable summer uniform, Boot tradition or not. Or the Training Officer who makes the call. And since he so easily overrode his Watch Commander Sergeant by what we are shown the TO  does ultimately have that power to protect tradition over his probationary officer.

Share this post


Link to post

That was my take as well.  Bradford is one of most experienced and highly-regarded training officers, and he decided that regardless of what Grey said, Chen was not getting those short sleeves until he (Bradford) said so.  Bradford was quite sure of himself, and Grey never questioned it.  So while it may not seem "right" to us viewers, that's clearly how it works in this precinct.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2019 at 12:23 AM, AnimeMania said:

Parents spank your children, maybe they will be able to hear you when you tell them to put down the gun.

I would have just gone up to my kid and made sure it was pointed away before he hurt himself.  Or tackled him.  The cop would not have had the opportunity.  You do what you have to do to protect your kids.   

On 10/14/2019 at 6:29 AM, Bulldog said:

The saw was vibrating/rolling towards Jon Huertas.  He just lay there. 

I had to go back and rewatch because I could not believe that was Jon Huertas.  I did not recognize him at all upon first watch, and that scene with the bone saw was stupid.  

I liked the girl that Bradford got set up with.  Mostly I think Bradford looks sweet when he smiles.

Share this post


Link to post

In this Episode, Jackson is chasing down Gleason Dunn from the burger place AKA the problem spot for criminal activity. As he’s chasing Gleason he looks down a side street or an alley and stops as if he should do something but decides to keep chasing Gleason. Does anyone know what it is he was looking at?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size