Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/14/2019

TheView
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Why would that matter or impact his writing?

Lack of empathy and lack of perspective. Like I said, he seems like the type to transcribe whatever horror story a victim tells him. Not having a discernible BS filter doesn’t give me confidence in anyone’s reporting. 

57 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, I have a gay son, married, and both of them are very nice looking, but, through them we know a lot of gay men who run the gamut from beautiful to average to meh.  I don't think looks play into gayness.  As far as Ronan Farrow having sex, he has a partner.  Do you think they are celibate?  And none of that should affect his work, which, by now has proven to be very good.

I don’t know if they’re celibate, but again, I get sheltered vibes from Ronan. Any man who has had an active sex life and had relationships knows better. You’re tempting karma by being the patron saint for accusatory women everywhere, and if I’m giving him credit that he knows that, my guess is he has few if any people in his past and/or personal life who could blab about him.

55 minutes ago, Homily said:

The people who award Pulitzer Prizes disagree

I’m sure, but I doubt they care how honest the story is as long as it’s a good one.

Edited by 27bored
5 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

and..."Farrow is a graduate of Yale Law School and a member of the New York Bar. He conducted doctoral research at Oxford University, where he was a Rhodes Scholar."

That really makes me question the comments about Frank Sinatra's being his "real dad."

Frank’s kids shut that down even with Ronan wearing those Frank-colored contacts. 

3 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Frank’s kids shut that down even with Ronan wearing those Frank-colored contacts. 

I've no idea whether there's any truth to that story but somehow I don't think Sinatra's kids are the ones most likely to know beyond any doubt what the actual facts of the matter are!

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

I've no idea whether there's any truth to that story but somehow I don't think Sinatra's kids are the ones most likely to know beyond any doubt what the actual facts of the matter are!

Right.  Mia Farrow said it was POSSIBLE, and she's the only one who would know that.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Maybe he's never sexually assaulted anyone.

Am I the only one who “heard” those words as if Joy had said them? 💚 Your avatar definitely influenced me, but it’s still 100% something that Joy would think to say! Kudos to you!

Edited by Bridget
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, PennyPlain said:

The only official statement from the Sinatras was from Nancy who simply said that they were very close to Ronan and he was an important part of their family.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Fannysue said:

I think he is gay and he bleaches his hair.

Most likely he IS gay since he has had a partner named Jon Lovett since 2011. His bleach-job looks good; he just needs someone to give him a more polished look.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 10/11/2019 at 1:26 AM, MsTree said:

While Chelsea Clinton would be an interesting addition, the show would be completely boring with an all Dem/Liberal panel.

Maybe that would cut down the number of political discussions.  I'm a liberal and a conservative (registered Independent).  I can think of several liberal panelists who would give most of us a fascinating, entertaining, and educational show.  Every day.   Different political persuasions are not necessary and I'm sad that it seems to be the case.

• Love 6

Rachel Ray is on a book tour.  She was "booked" into the Orpheum Theatre in Phoenix (1360+seats) to speak and take questions.  Tomorrow! The location was recently changed and she'll no longer be "speaking."  She will appear in our local independent bookstore, Changing Hands.  I'd guess there'd be 40 seats at the most...and that would be placing folding chairs up/down every aisle of the store.  It's not an auditorium. Wonder what happened. 

• Tickets for the Orpheum were $44.75 (1) book, (tickets for two).
  • Now it's $34-ish (1) book (tickets to the "photo line" for two).
Edited by HaaCHOO
Added "Tomorrow!"

Frank's kids from his first marriage have many millions of reasons to deny Ronan's paternity. Their dad's estate was settled according to the terms of his will a long time ago but the youngest one, Tina, to this day licenses Frank's image to the hilt.

On top of that, before he died he gave them the rights to his Reprise Records catalog which is all of his recorded songs from 1960-1988. Royalties, re-issues, all of that. Ka ching. He wanted to cut his last wife's son in on the action but his kids pitched a major bitch and he folded. 

Frank is long gone but still is quite the money maker. Nancy Jr's statement, quite different from Tina's, has always sorta made me wonder if they paid him something behind the scenes to forego the paternity issue. 

I got Ronan's book on kindle and it was delivered a few minutes ago. I will be reading All Night. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Most likely he IS gay since he has had a partner named Jon Lovett since 2011. His bleach-job looks good; he just needs someone to give him a more polished look.

I assume he isn't that Jon Lovett?  (Oh wait, that’s Lovitz.  LOL  Wrong dude.)

I wonder where Joy is.  Birthday vacation?

It's likely Rachel Ray will be cooking on the show today.  Hope Whoopi brings her appetite.

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, 27bored said:

Lack of empathy and lack of perspective. Like I said, he seems like the type to transcribe whatever horror story a victim tells him. Not having a discernible BS filter doesn’t give me confidence in anyone’s reporting. 

The experiences of his own sister make highly unlikely your claim that he lacks either empathy or perspective. 

How does he seem to you like the type to transcribe whatever horror story a victim tells him?

Why do you contend he has no discernible BS filter?

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I assume he isn't that Jon Lovett?  (Oh wait, that Lovitz.  LOL  Wrong dude.)

I wonder where Joy is.  Birthday vacation?

It's likely Rachel Ray will be cooking on the show today.  Hope Whoopi brings her appetite.

He was a speechwriter for President Obama and does a good podcast with 2 other speechwriters, 'Pod Save America'

I used to always think how funny he shares a name with Jon Lovitz....obviously I wasn't listening carefully, 😄 Lovett  not Lovitz 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, shok said:

The only official statement from the Sinatras was from Nancy who simply said that they were very close to Ronan and he was an important part of their family.

I remember that and took it as a yes, Frank is dad or the possibility is high enough.  I think the objections raised by the others was about fear of him wanting some of Frank’s estate. 

Ronan is strident and humorless so I cannot warm to him.  I am impressed with his brain though.  I am one who doesn’t believe Woody molested Dylan, so that is what put me off initially. That is off topic and has been beaten into the ground so not getting into that here. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, shok said:

Nancy used the words “nonsense”, “silly” and “stupid” and was irritated with Mia because it was affecting Nancy’s children.  She also said Frank would have laughed if Mia tried this when he was still alive. 

I don’t blame them for trying to disassociate from Woody, but teasing this suggestion, with bright blue contacts, was such a bad idea when he was striving to be a serious journalist.  He’s now very successful and has seemed to drop it. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Fannysue said:

I think he is gay and he bleaches his hair.

Yes, I knew.   I was wondering if he was transitioning, as from a distance it did look like a woman was sitting at the table.   It wasn't until they did a close-up that I realized it was Ronan.   That beige t-shirt didn't help.   And I'm truly not bashing him - in fact, I really like his reporting and especially how well-spoken he is.  It's a pleasure to listen to someone so articulate,  especially on The View, where everyone speaks at once and drowns each other out. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

SO -  He looks like a woman, is sheltered,  he lacks empathy, has no perspective,  he's never had sex, he didn't deserve the Pulitzer prize he was awarded.  

Got it. You hate him.

What did Ronan ever do to you? 

My opinion of Ronan is more dispassionate than any of the View panels opinion of Trump, but they don’t have to explain why they take everything he does personally. And I didn’t mention his Pulitzer, but it doesn’t mean he’s a great journalist because he has one. And even if I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, it’s still somewhat telling that Ronan will be 32 this year and has been with the same person eight years. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but there’s still a lack of perspective due to lack of experience. 

9 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Maybe he's never sexually assaulted anyone.

He’s probably never sexually anything’d anyone.

24 minutes ago, General Days said:

The experiences of his own sister make highly unlikely your claim that he lacks either empathy or perspective. 

How does he seem to you like the type to transcribe whatever horror story a victim tells him?

Why do you contend he has no discernible BS filter?

Watching his interview, it seemed like he was begging the question to a big extent, and given the nature and severity of sexual misconduct, Ronan’s disposition didn’t sit well with me. It didn’t sit well because I felt he was looking at this as an allegory of powerful men vs helpless women who have found their courage. He even said as much.

Without getting into a lengthy explanation that would veer far off topic, and for the sake of brevity, Ronan just seems like someone who judges people who have what he doesn’t and/or doesn’t want. He said the woman who accused Lauer of rape doesn’t characterize her subsequent encounters with him as an affair. Uh, she was having sex with a married man. I’m not saying she is, but it would be very easy to spin a consensual encounter into a rape if you’re pretty sure the person you’re telling isn’t going to question it. People who have had sex understand this. People who have had bad dates and bad fights and bad break-ups understand that sometimes people can be spiteful and petty and vindictive when they’re hurt; the last thing they need a self-righteous enabler felling them that what they’re doing is some kind of public service. And, people who haven’t been sheltered most of their lives know that being an adult is hard sometimes, but that’s no excuse not to be one. Women who prioritize their careers over their self-respect make a choice to do so even if it’s not done gladly, and women who would rather gossip around the office or gab under the promise of anonymity to a reporter make a choice not to treat serious allegations seriously and it’s nobody’s fault but their own.

I think as long as it’s a famous man being accused, he doesn’t care how credible the accusers are. He just likes that they’re “brave” enough to come forward.

• Love 1

Oh goody.  Whoopie finally got her plate of food.   Maybe she'll shut up and calm down already.   And hopefully she'll eat the whole thing during the break so we don't have to watch her stuff her face.

Rachel's striped shirt and white blazer do her no favors.   Nor does the gallon of self-tanner she applied.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

The whole time Whoopie was yelling about being hangry, all I could think of was the amount of times she has said she never eats.  The show is only an hour long, no one needs to be eating on air!

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 12

I tuned in just as Whoopi was explaining that if she looked grumpy or angry or whatever she said, it was because she could smell the food cooking in the back.  No worries, Whoopi.  You always look like that so we couldn't tell.

The rest of that 'segment' if that's what we are calling it was an all out total time filler.  A complete waste of time and money.  Ooooh, so some rando off the internet is flirting with the cute guy at Starbucks!  Que:  Sunny's "cute" face.  Didn't get enough of an audience response?  Show it again, Camera Man.  Keep posing "cute" Sunny and keep showing it, Camera Guy, until the audience clues in that they are supposed to laugh and find it cute. 

Abby shares that she is the first brunette her husband has ever been with.  His crush is Heidi Klum.  My, how riveting.  Thanks for sharing, Abby.  I will file this under Who gives a shit.

Whoopi, of course, hates the idea of crushing on someone, she thinks the whole thing is just wrong and stupid and the woman is just wrong and stupid and the cute guy is wrong and stupid and even Starbucks is wrong and stupid. "NOT WHEN YOU'RE IN THERAPY!!"  Yell it a few more times, Whoopi.  Because you are such an expert on relationships and therapy and everything in general.

Nothing much to add from the redneck on the right other than some random inaudible words being yelled out while the others were trying to talk and some muttering.  Oh, and the helpful information about not bothering to try and DM Whoopi or contact her on Social Media.  Yeah, no worries there.  So thanks for telling us something we already know.

• LOL 12
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

You DID actually.  someone referred to his Pulitzer, and you said :

And yes, if you have a Pulitzer for writing, it means you're good at it.  

I didn’t say Ronan Farrow got a Pulitzer but he didn’t deserve it...just to hate on him. I said what I said because it was mentioned to me as proof of his bonafides. 

31 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

I just out a hold on his book, I'm thinking there is so much more to everything he has talked about 

I find him very interesting.  His research was clearly freaking people out.

16 hours ago, 27bored said:

I don’t know if they’re celibate, but again, I get sheltered vibes from Ronan. Any man who has had an active sex life and had relationships knows better. You’re tempting karma by being the patron saint for accusatory women everywhere, and if I’m giving him credit that he knows that, my guess is he has few if any people in his past and/or personal life who could blab about him.

I’m sure, but I doubt they care how honest the story is as long as it’s a good one.

I think you are seeing what you want to see with him.  Clearly he is a very intelligent and accomplished individual and that threatens people.  Whatevs.  

• Love 23

"Take a shot" is talking like a redneck?

From everything I've read, Hunter was not an advisor to Burisma before his father was vice president.  Did he say that in his interview?  I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Sunny said Hunter was on the Burisma board because he had board experience, being on the board of Amtrak.  Yeah, he got that appointment (appointed by George W. Bush, in the spirit of bipartisanship) because of his name too, especially since his father was good advertising for Amtrak, riding back and forth daily from Delaware to D.C.   

Political expert Meghan should know the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary aren't until February.

When did Buttigieg go severely left, and how is he trying to "remoderate" (not a word; one of those Meghan-isms) himself?   I can't think of any policy shifts he's made.  She hasn't liked him since at least the first debate in June; he was on the show the morning after via remote, and she was very dismissive towards him. 

Meghan scoffed at Sunny like 'you don't know what you're talking about' when they were talking about momentum, 'cause she's an expert, ya know.

I can't argue with Rachael's celebrity crush of Curtis Stone (I don't think she said his last name, but I assume that's who she meant).  Also - if you know the person, can it still be considered a celebrity crush?

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 15
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

Ha ha - it made me think of David Sedaris' book When You are Engulfed in Flames.

I also laughed when the camera operator focused on Megun squint-scowling at Ronan, with her eyelids engulfed in mascara, eyeliner and fake eyelashes.  Was  she waiting for him to say something liberal so she could stab him with her filet knife?  Or was she just puzzled by what she was seeing, like a 6-month-old watching someone on a unicycle for the first time?

Hasn't she realized that her squint/scowl is completely unintimidating ? You just know she rewatches all her "greatest hits".

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Meghan always wanted to make politics accessible to everyone?? Meghan talk like a redneck? "Take the shot", is redneck speak? MmmKay. 

Rachel looks better than she has in awhile.  Her latest 30 minutes meals episodes She'd been very puffy looking, not necessarily heavy but that bloated look. I can't say I'd eat RR food it always reminds me of food you would make after a night of heavy drinking . I did  love the story she shared about her mom saving all year to visit NYC for Christmas. I'm glad they didn't ask her about the tabloid rumors about her marriage,  how rude to even tease that.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I cannot believe that Meghan with a straight face said kids of politicians have to choose a lane and stay in it.  Meghan honey you went to college and a got a degree in art history so WTF are you doing portraying yourself as a political pundit?

And Meghan since I'm talking to you "take a shot" doesn't always mean shoot a gun.  It can and usually does mean take the opportunity, which is what you meant when you said it.  Get guns off your brain.

And a "redneck." 

Isn't the word redneck offensive? I'm seriously asking. 

• Love 4
Just now, Coffeewinewater said:

Isn't the word redneck offensive? I'm seriously asking. 

Depends on who you ask.  For me a redneck is what people who don't live in a red state think people living in a red state are. Meghan believes that stereotype. She calls herself a redneck because to her that is someone who loves to shoot guns while chugging beer or whiskey while wearing a flag somewhere on your body. For the record I live in a red state and could not be any less redneck if I tried.

• Love 19