Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: Back and to the Future

SueB
Message added by Whimsy

As a reminder, there is NO Bitch vs Jerk discussion allowed in the episode threads.  Posts will be removed.  Continuous offenders will get warnings/suspensions.  If you want to talk about the writer (in this episode's case, Dabb) and their disregard of a character (ie, Dean) take it to the appropriate thread. 

• Start Topic

I will be in the minority that didn't like the opening song AT ALL. It was so slow and pensive while action was going on on the screen. Didn't work for me. Now that you bring up the bloody car scene it was a huge jump to Woman in White. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I must have been totally clueless all of these years,   I never realized that Kaz not only healed wounds, but he repairs clothing with no stitching all with one touch.  Who knew?   He ought to open his own clothing repair shop.

I find that less annoying than shifters, of any kind, making their own clothes when they shift.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I will be in the minority that didn't like the opening song AT ALL. It was so slow and pensive while action was going on on the screen. Didn't work for me. Now that you bring up the bloody car scene it was a huge jump to Woman in White. 

I didnt like it either. Never mind that they already used it in s9 in the episode following Kevin's murder when Dean is throwing things around the bunker right before he burns his body. I was like come on, show.

I thought the score was weird as well when Sam was skulking around the house. I thought what show am I watching because the score sounded nothing like Supernatural to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

That's OK.  We know "our" Jack will be back, and that will make Cas soooo happy....that he'll immediately drop dead and go to the Empty, per his deal.  

Ha! You're right, I had forgotten about that!

9 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I will be in the minority that didn't like the opening song AT ALL. It was so slow and pensive while action was going on on the screen. Didn't work for me.

No offense to the song or to Bob Seger, but I disliked it as well, for similar reasons. Also it was too loud. As they were fighting they were calling each other's names and saying "Over here!" and the music was so loud it was like they were trying to shout over it.

I admit that I disliked the whole opening scene in particular. The last thing we saw of the guys at the end of last season, they were about to be totally submerged by a huge tidal wave of zombies. So how did they manage to get out of the middle of all that without a scratch? Turns out Dabb wasn't really interested in that question. Instead we get a few murky, half-visible shots of them fighting, where I couldn't see much of what was going on, and next thing you know they are safely barricaded in the mausoleum. Glad that I didn't spend any time worrying about their fate last season.

• Love 5

The song worked okay for the recap montage but once the action scene started, it was completely disjointed. Now of course you can effectively merge aslow song with action beats, I've seen it happen, but it didn't work at all here.

• Love 4

I wasn't enthusiastic about the premiere and am not looking forward to the brothers and limp-dick Cas running from ghosts everywhere and dragging demonJack around casting spells to get them out of trouble. He's like a new younger version of Crowley. And, PLEASE, no more Lucifer!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

That's OK.  We know "our" Jack will be back, and that will make Cas soooo happy....that he'll immediately drop dead and go to the Empty, per his deal.  

Yes, but then we're still stuck with Jack.  So.....

• Love 2
11 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

This is an issue I've had with the show for years, but why the FUCK are so many "scary" scenes set in BROAD SPANKING DAYLIGHT?! I so miss the times when there was actual atmosphere and creepiness instead of this bright, flat palette that shows everything and makes all the "scares" look corny and cheap. Genius tip, TPTB, horror usually works best in darkness and very selective light ie. through the strategic withholding of information. The earlier directors/cinematographers/showrunners knew that. And watching the ghosts actually RUNNING after them was completely ridiculous.

UUUGGHHH about Sam's Supernatural Affliction #1052. I'm so over this dead horse....

... Demon Jack had an actual personality, so that automatically put him leagues above regular milquetoast Jack. His fanboying of Dean was nice, as was the callback to Alastair. Could we just keep this one and leave the far inferior original in the Empty?

I didn't feel any sympathy for Cas getting the cold shoulder from Dean. He fully absolved and sided with the murderer of Dean's mom and vehemently opposed even locking up this obviously dangerous loose cannon. But too bad Dean seems to have already forgiven Jack.

I know the SFX budget on this show has plummeted year to year, but are we back to the mandate where everything has to be brighter too?  I know that was a thing in season 3 specifically, but it sure does look like it's back in play compounded by LOL!canon that allows ghosts or whatever they were to run down the street like a bunch of children. I think Bergamot hit the nail on the head with the Party City costuming observation. Everyone looked exactly like what they were - actors in bad costumes. It's impossible to feel any tension when it all looks this cheap. Plus the casting for the S1 MotW, like the Woman in White and Bloody Mary, just paled in comparison to their original actors.

Honestly, I was very surprised by how bad the casting and directing were in this episode, considering the director was Showalter. I thought he used to be one of the good ones, or am I misremembering?

I can't be paid to care any less than I do about Sam's umpteenth supernatural affliction. I don't think there will be any surprises at all with how it will play out, but we'll see.

I do appreciate the always too rare mention of Dean's time in Hell, since usually everyone seems to forget he was ever there.

OTOH, I didn't appreciate how Dean's minor role in this episode was to babysit Demon Jack-Adjacent. Granted, he was more amusing than Original Recipe Nougat, but it was a ridiculous placeholder role for Dean considering Demon Jack-Adjacent was, well, a demon who really didn't have to stick around in the first place if he didn't want to.

I'm perfectly fine with the cold shoulder routine because it makes perfect sense. What made no sense at all is Dean saying Jack didn't deserve to die. I know it's been six months since the S14 finale, but in terms of the episode, it was all of five minutes. Dean may not have wanted to be Chuck's pawn, but he was still rightly angry at Jack and wanted him dead.  The fans certainly remember that the episode is happening on the heels of the last one, so the showrunner/writer should recall at least that much, especially when he wrote them both.

But it's the way the characters treat Jack as if they birthed him themselves, which they didn't, that tells the audience this character is a textbook Mary Sue. If Dean is still pissed at Cas, so should he be at Jack. It's only logical storytelling.

The Bob Seger song was fine, it was one of the few things I really liked. All in all, a very bland and underwhelming start to this final season.

Edited by PAForrest
Edit for space
  • Love 10

I don't get what was supposed to happen with this town? They said something at the end about a couple of days before the 'real' FBI got involved, but what then? Do they believe that an entire town will just hang out in the highschool indefinitely? What happens when one of them goes home to get their laptop? Do they break the salt line and all the ghostie-souls escape? Or are they, or the real FBI agents, just gonna be lunch for them.

• Love 4

I thought it was just plain boring. It also has one of my least favorite elements: when the brothers have to team up with a demon because even with all their knowledge and experience, the Winchesters and Cas have no solutions. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 5

So this is the last dance, our last October with Supernatural and...its bittersweet. This show is more or less a shell of its former self at this point, circling the drains with reused stories and boring characters and its clear that the writers are out of ideas, but at the same time, I am still going to miss coming back to this show. Its always got me in the Halloween mood, if nothing else, and even in the later, very crappy seasons, this show did almost always give me something to enjoy, even if it was just following the characters that I still love. Even when I wasnt actively watching the show, it was always something I could come back to or check on spoilers for (to which I usually ended up rolling my eyes) and it felt sort of homey. I've watched this show on and off since I was a teenager, and leaving it behind, even if its for the best, its still the end of an era. 

Anyway, enough mushy stuff, on to this mostly crappy episode! You can really see the lack of, either effort or budget, because those ghosts dont even look a little bit as creepy as they originally did. Bloody Mary just looks like a college girl doing a rather half assed Halloween costume, not a spooky mirror ghost, the same with the Women in White. And maybe even worse, the ghosts dont even work the same way they used to! The Women in White is supposed to pick up men on the highway, see if they're unfaithful, and kill them, even if they were faithful to their girls back home, like Sam in the pilot. Not just killing random guys on the street! I know you guys watched the pilot to do that awkward as hell flashback cut, so why did you forget this?! And if they wanted to do a ghost coming out of the water, why not the water ghost boy? The original ghosts were so creepy, these were just silly, both in acting and costuming. I was actually excited by the idea of a bunch of previous cases of the week coming back for this season, but if this is all we are going to get, thats a big no from me.

And thats not getting into the ridiculous imagine of the ghosts just sprinting after Sam, Cas, and the family, that just looked silly! They've been appearing and disappearing all episode but now, its just a sprint to the finish line! Come on show, at least pretend to care! 

Demon Jack was kind of fun, at least he is more entertaining than regular Jack, but we all know that Jack in the Box will return again. Its really weird how they talk about Jack like Sam/Dean/Cas literally birthed him or something, he isnt really their kid, just the weird angel/demon kid that they ended up raising. 

Rowena is the best even when we dont see her. We did have a few fun moments, like the "I wont starve" line and some of the Sam/Dean ending, even the call back to the pilot. And the demon being a fan of Deans torture work. 

Oh Cas, Dean will forgive you eventually, just give him some time. He asked if you were ok right away, before he went back to being pissed. 

• Love 6

So, hey, Supernatural.  Welcome back for your final season.  Too bad that you started in less than stellar fashion.  While Demon Jack is more palatable than Original Recipe Jack, that's not exactly a high bar to clear.  And his name might as well be De(mon)us Ex Machima Jack, given his oh-so-convenient spells that save the day (and the boys' rather tantalizing asses).

In spite of my willing and substantial suspension of disbelief, I still couldn't deal with the town being evacuated on such a flimsy pretext or with just a sheriff and our Heroes to do it. Nope.  And Sam getting downed by the clown ghost multiple times, and the big chase scene down the street when the ghosts could simply blink in front of the group? Also, nope. 

So, Supernatural, can you please do better so I don't end up hate watching your final season?  Thanks in advance. 

I may be wrong, but I thing the male ghost with the black suit is the murdering barber from the portrait in Provenance.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Iguana said:

I may be wrong, but I thing the male ghost with the black suit is the murdering barber from the portrait in Provenance.

That may well be their intention (canon?  What's canon?) but the father in Provenance didn't murder anyone.  It was the little girl who did it.  

• Love 4

I thought the episode was boring and juvenile. It is obvious (to me) that the writer cannot even envision more than a one-note character. Even Demon!Jack was just a one-note imitation of the far superior Crowley. The plot was atrocious! Lame! And kudos to the poster that perfectly described the "ghosts" as looking like people in Party City costumes running down the street. Oh how the show has fallen under Dabb. And "The Final Scene" was a poor choice for two reasons - first it isn't "the final scene" - we have nineteen episodes to go. Second - it was already used in a much more powerful scene by the best actor on the show. Obviously IMO.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, PAForrest said:

I can't be paid to care any less than I do about Sam's umpteenth supernatural affliction. I don't think there will be any surprises at all with how it will play out, but we'll see.

I swear, can Sam just get a supernatural vaccination so that he stops getting hurt all of the time or getting these weird afflictions? Can we just not for our last season?!

Not thrilled with Dean being relegated to demon babysitter, and I hope this doesent start a pattern of Dean being stuck in the background all season long. But hey, they did mention his time in Hell, which we hardly ever hear about, so thats something. Someone writing this episode DID actually watch previous seasons!

So the ghost suite guy was just some random ghost? Hey now, I expected top tier haunts, not random red shirt ghosts!

• Love 4

They kept us in suspense with showing the back of the woman in white. Then she turns around and it wasn't Sarah Shahi.  What was the point then? The reveal was disappointing. 

Sam took her home. Not Dean. 

I left this episode hoping it wasn't going to set the tone for the whole season. I've had thoughts on maybe they should have stopped years ago.  I don't want the series to end with the writers phoning it in. 

It was so underwhelming. 

• Love 1

I'll forgive the show for not being able to line up all (or any) of the actors that played spooks all the way back in season one. Many of them might not be available (as far as I know, Sarha Shahi is currently on another show). That, for me, is the most minor quibble.

I've been thinking a lot about how so many of the creatures that we used to see only at night were now out and about during the day and while I agree that they're a lot scarier in the dark, it's pretty frightening to see them like this but in an entirely different way. For the most part, the daytime was when Sam and Dean had a chance to regroup and do their research so they could take on whatever they were hunting. Having ghosts and ghouls doing their thing in the bright daylight is a clear sign of just how much the rules have changed. They no longer need to hide and are attacking out in the open. And now there is no break or chance to regroup for the boys. This is going to be a 24/7 battle.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I'll forgive the show for not being able to line up all (or any) of the actors that played spooks all the way back in season one. Many of them might not be available (as far as I know, Sarha Shahi is currently on another show). That, for me, is the most minor quibble.

I've been thinking a lot about how so many of the creatures that we used to see only at night were now out and about during the day and while I agree that they're a lot scarier in the dark, it's pretty frightening to see them like this but in an entirely different way. For the most part, the daytime was when Sam and Dean had a chance to regroup and do their research so they could take on whatever they were hunting. Having ghosts and ghouls doing their thing in the bright daylight is a clear sign of just how much the rules have changed. They no longer need to hide and are attacking out in the open. And now there is no break or chance to regroup for the boys. This is going to be a 24/7 battle.

In theory I agree that would be terrifying but the show`s problem is its budget. You can get away with goofy costuming and make-up much more easily during night shoots and when you just see glimpses of the ghost/monster. Seeing them in their silly Halloween costumes and make-up in broad daylight just takes the scare factor away, at least for me.

I didn`t find Bloody Mary even one iota scary in this one - when she stepped out of that little pool on the street, OMG, that looked atrociously bad - and it was probably the scariest MOTW for me in the entire show, those creepy shots of people walking past mirrors and then a glimpse. Eek. You just can`t do jump-scares like that in broad daylight on the street. 

Even the halfway decent abandoned car scene which actually did play out at night as a call-back to the Women in White made me think "syrup, so much syrup" when looking at the "blood". 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Even the halfway decent abandoned car scene which actually did play out at night as a call-back to the Women in White made me think "syrup, so much syrup" when looking at the "blood".

Actually, what I thought with the abandoned car/blood/radio was them walking into town in Good God Y'All, with "Spirit in the Sky" on the car radio.  My second thought was the abandoned, bloody cars in Croatoan.  The Woman in White never occurred to me till they mentioned it.  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

My point was more that it seemed like kind of a fake-out, when they filmed the scene.  I could understand if they couldn't get Sarah Shahi, but they set the scene up to make me think it was going to be her.  Then the actor turned around and it kind of took me out of the episode.  If they had set the scene a different way, I probably wouldn't have brought it up. 

I didn't have a problem with the clown, the women didn't hit the mark.  It took me a while to even figure out that the one was Bloody Mary.  Nobody had to even say "Bloody Mary"?  Or did they and I just didn't notice?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't get what was supposed to happen with this town? They said something at the end about a couple of days before the 'real' FBI got involved, but what then?

Spoiler

From the promo for next week, it looks as if the question of what will happen with the town is going to come up in episode 2. It shows all the ghosts meeting together in one of the houses there to discuss "terms" with the good guys. And Rowena is there too, presumably to use her magic on the problem.

One thing I didn't get, or maybe I missed it, but are all the souls that escaped from Hell, or any that are still to emerge, now trapped in the town? Or just some of them?  It sounded as if this was the only spot where this was happening, from what Sam saw in the news. So is the place the souls are escaping from already inside the magic circle that Bel created?

38 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I didn`t find Bloody Mary even one iota scary in this one - when she stepped out of that little pool on the street, OMG, that looked atrociously bad - and it was probably the scariest MOTW for me in the entire show

I agree completely with how lame that scene was. I also found the episode with the original Bloody Mary to be perhaps the scariest one the show has had. But this time around, she was pathetic -- the way she was desperately grabbing onto the woman's foot and just trying to hang on to her, and the lumbering way she finally clambered out of the pool, it looked sad and silly to me. Nothing like the chilling character the show originally created.

(And you know what else was stupid? When Bloody Mary grabbed the woman's foot, instead of pushing her daughter away and telling her to RUN, the woman actually grabbed her daughter's hands and held on to her, as if expecting her daughter to help her get loose. This episode had some very poor directing.)

Edited by Bergamot
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Actually, what I thought with the abandoned car/blood/radio was them walking into town in Good God Y'All, with "Spirit in the Sky" on the car radio.  My second thought was the abandoned, bloody cars in Croatoan.  The Woman in White never occurred to me till they mentioned it.  

Since the Women in White was already shown in the montage at the end of last Season and then, I think, even in the recap of the Premiere, I knew right away. Otherwise, I wouldn`t necessarily have thought about that either.  

1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

Since the Women in White was already shown in the montage at the end of last Season and then, I think, even in the recap of the Premiere, I knew right away. Otherwise, I wouldn`t necessarily have thought about that either.  

I was actually expecting her too, just as a character, not the car.  I guess I'm a little slow. 

None of the ghosts were following their old ways.  The Woman in White wasn't going after unfaithful men, Bloody Mary wasn't going after people who'd killed others, and even the clown (which was supposed to be John Wayne Gacy, I guess) was going after little kids, not his usual victims.  I can handwave it (I guess) to say that if Chuck rose everyone then he just made them all attack anyone in sight instead of specializing, but it still doesn't explain (to me) why some had their own bodies and some bothered to dig up corpses in the cemetery in order to "possess" them (wouldn't it have taken some time to get them out of their coffins six feet under?) or why, for example, the mother in the garage with her kid didn't just get in the car and plow through the garage doors if she couldn't get them open?    That's not to mention why (as others said) the ghosts had to run instead of just "apparating" or Sam's terrible fighting skills.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

I was actually expecting her too, just as a character, not the car.  I guess I'm a little slow. 

None of the ghosts were following their old ways.  The Woman in White wasn't going after unfaithful men, Bloody Mary wasn't going after people who'd killed others, and even the clown (which was supposed to be John Wayne Gacy, I guess) was going after little kids, not his usual victims.  I can handwave it (I guess) to say that if Chuck rose everyone then he just made them all attack anyone in sight instead of specializing, but it still doesn't explain (to me) why some had their own bodies and some bothered to dig up corpses in the cemetery in order to "possess" them (wouldn't it have taken some time to get them out of their coffins six feet under?) or why, for example, the mother in the garage with her kid didn't just get in the car and plow through the garage doors if she couldn't get them open?    That's not to mention why (as others said) the ghosts had to run instead of just "apparating" or Sam's terrible fighting skills.  

I want to 👍 this post but also 😂 at it.  Maybe I'll just plagiarize it.

• Love 1

I tried to rewatch, nope, just couldn't.  I was fast forwarding more than watching.  

As to the opening song, I wonder if, having used it before, they don't have to pay to use it again?  I was glad to hear a good Seger song but it was jarring to hear it against the action scenes.  Last night I felt it was not a bad episode, but I changed my mind, it was bad.  So today I cheered myself up watching Clap Your Hands if You Believe. 😃

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I tried to rewatch, nope, just couldn't.  I was fast forwarding more than watching.  

As to the opening song, I wonder if, having used it before, they don't have to pay to use it again?  I was glad to hear a good Seger song but it was jarring to hear it against the action scenes.  Last night I felt it was not a bad episode, but I changed my mind, it was bad.  So today I cheered myself up watching Clap Your Hands if You Believe. 😃

The song was too slow for the action and way too loud. It just didn't work. 

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I tried to rewatch, nope, just couldn't.  I was fast forwarding more than watching

Me too. 

The only scenes I really made time for were the ones when Demon Jack Adjacent(love! this) asked Dean about Hell and when he called Dean "gorgeous". I SO! loved Dean's "WHAT?!" when he said that. And his face. Always That Face. 💝 Best parts of the episode for me.

I also have to agree with those who said that the guest acting and the directing were both pretty dismal in this one-and yes, I'm surprised that it was Showalter who directed as well. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ahrtee said:

That's not to mention why (as others said) the ghosts had to run instead of just "apparating" or Sam's terrible fighting skills. 

When Bobby took over the maid he had to walk her around as far as I remember, so if the ghosts were inhabiting bodies for some reason, then that might explain why they were running. Otherwise I got nothing.

I moved the Sam part to the "Bitch vs Jerk" thread, just in case.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

It was so underwhelming and forgettable that I barely remember I’ve seen it.

What stuck with me (and might haunt me for a while) is the memory of that ridiculously bad chase/fight between the ghosts and Sam, Cas, mom + girl. Those ghosts hobbling and limping their way after the good guys, giggling and laughing manically like a bunch of deranged lunatics in some extremely insensitive movie about a psychiatric hospital… Sam & Co. having difficulty getting away from them… Way to make supernatural threats laughable and absolutely non-threatening, and way to make our protagonists look absolutely incompetent!

• Love 13

I liked it well enough, though it was more the Demon Jack/Dean interaction and some of the shoutouts to the past rather than the story itself.

It did bother me that last season's cliffhanger seemed to indicate absolutely no way out, only to have them safely (for the moment, anyway, but that's all it ever seems to take) holed up in the mausoleum after a relatively easy (given the numbers they were facing) fight. I couldn't see a lot of what was going on at the start since it was all so dark anyway.

The Halloween-y looks of the ghosts didn't bother me overmuch. If I'm going to be honest, I've never really thought that most of the monsters throughout the series as a whole were ever very believably presented - a lot of the special effects throughout have been pretty cheap-looking, but there was always a bit of a campy quality, especially in the early seasons, where it kind of added to the fun. Then again, I'm one who prefers her horror on the lighthearted side, and easily overlooks having to suspend disbelief or even leave critical thinking at the door and just go along for the ride sometimes.

Looking forward to seeing Rowena again! I always loved her even way back when she first came on the scene, even though she seemed to get a lot of dislike at the start.

6 hours ago, hunenka said:

What stuck with me (and might haunt me for a while) is the memory of that ridiculously bad chase/fight between the ghosts and Sam, Cas, mom + girl. Those ghosts hobbling and limping their way after the good guys, giggling and laughing manically like a bunch of deranged lunatics in some extremely insensitive movie about a psychiatric hospital… Sam & Co. having difficulty getting away from them… Way to make supernatural threats laughable and absolutely non-threatening, and way to make our protagonists look absolutely incompetent!

I think it's right up there with the marionette fight for most laughable "action scene" in SPN.  

ETA:  Even if the mother didn't want to ruin her car by driving through the garage doors, why didn't Sam even think of taking the car to get away?  (Has anyone seen the horror movie spoof commercial where the terrified teenagers are looking for a way to get away from the monster and one girl says "why don't we take the car with the engine running?" and the others tell her that's ridiculous and they should hide behind the wall of chain saws?)  

Edited by ahrtee
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4

The whole thing with Sam's gunshot wound made me roll my eyes. Dean finally thinks to look at it, notices there is no exit wound, hears it doesn't hurt much, puts some alcohol on it, lets Sam wave off a bandage, and they're good to go? Ooookaaaay. I mean, I get that they rarely take any wounds as seriously as real life, but the fact that Sam evidently has a bullet lodged in his shoulder, but it's not bleeding, and isn't hurting him? Shouldn't that raise some sort of concern? It's probably a dumb thing to be bugged by, given everything else in the episode that made no sense, but still. 

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, Katy M said:

Demon Jack is right.  Dean is gorgeous.

Amen to that!

I didn't care for the opening song choice, there are so many other great rock songs that would've fit better. I hope they do better with the last song at the end. But I'm not holding out much hope for that :-(

This episode just wasn't that good. I do like Demon Jack hope he sticks around for awhile. I've missed Crowley and his snark, maybe now DJ can fill that gap a little.

The ghost looked like they were in a Halloween party costume contest and running down the street was dumb. Why would they need to run when they can appear and disappear?

I hate that Castiel is barely an Angel anymore. I miss the badass Cas.

The only part I liked was the trunk scene with the flashback to the end of episode 1.

It's sad to think this is the last season. I know this show has gone down hill but I will miss the 2 brothers.

Edited by foxfreakinmulder
16 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I hate that Castiel is barely an Angel anymore. I miss the badass Cass.

What makes no sense (amongst many nonsensical things) is that Cas 'fights' like a human and gets knocked down or held back, but Sam hits him full in the chest with a point blank shotgun blast (rock salt or not) and he doesn't even bat an eyelash. He's annoyed, not hurt.

Misha must get tired of frowning and grimacing. Honestly, both he and Sam need to smile once in a while.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Don't feel bad. I actually fast forwarded through the ridiculous parts when I watched it originally. And probably, won't be even trying to watch it again. Maybe when these idiots put out a show worth a second watch, I'll take a second look. And no, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that.

Edited by FlickChick
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bethy said:

The whole thing with Sam's gunshot wound made me roll my eyes. Dean finally thinks to look at it, notices there is no exit wound, hears it doesn't hurt much, puts some alcohol on it, lets Sam wave off a bandage, and they're good to go? Ooookaaaay. I mean, I get that they rarely take any wounds as seriously as real life, but the fact that Sam evidently has a bullet lodged in his shoulder, but it's not bleeding, and isn't hurting him? Shouldn't that raise some sort of concern? It's probably a dumb thing to be bugged by, given everything else in the episode that made no sense, but still. 

There is no actual bullet; it's a multidimensional beam of energy.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

What makes no sense (amongst many nonsensical things) is that Cas 'fights' like a human and gets knocked down or held back, but Sam hits him full in the chest with a point blank shotgun blast (rock salt or not) and he doesn't even bat an eyelash. He's annoyed, not hurt.

I have to admit the part where Sam accidentally shoots Cas and he says, "You shot me," made me snicker. Yeah, I thought it was funny, and the best part of that whole long drawn-out slog with clearing the town and dealing with the brainless mom and her kid.

But I agree that it's ridiculous how ineffectual and frankly un-supernatural they've made the angels and demons over the years. Everyone fights with their fists now, the demons and angels don't seem to have any real powers, not anymore than humans do. It's annoying, especially when we remember how terrifying they could be.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, PAForrest said:

But I agree that it's ridiculous how ineffectual and frankly un-supernatural they've made the angels and demons over the years. Everyone fights with their fists now, the demons and angels don't seem to have any real powers, not anymore than humans do. It's annoying, especially when we remember how terrifying they could be.

What they've done to demons and angels is so sad and pathetic, IMO, too.

I remember the early seasons and  episodes like Phantom Traveler  and Devil's Trap and Houses of the Holy and it makes me want to weep for what we've lost. 

Edited by Myrelle
Additions
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, Hana Chan said:

Having ghosts and ghouls doing their thing in the bright daylight is a clear sign of just how much the rules have changed. They no longer need to hide and are attacking out in the open. And now there  chance to regroup for the boys. This is going to be a 24/7 battle.

You are my hero for being capable of putting SUCH a positive spin on TPTB not allowing the show to film spooky stuff.

What a lackluster  episode. 

Yay, a babysitter Dean is back 🙄

Sorry Cas, when Jack killed Mary you didn't care about Dean´s feeling why should he care about yours now.

What happened to Jared´s and Misha´s acting skills? Their acting in this episode was ...not very good.

🙏 the next episode is better.

• Love 7

Ahrtee, I was thinking about the same commercial! Very funny, up to and including the last line, “Let’s hide in the cemetery.”  😄

About the episode: there is something to be said for low expectations. It ended up not being as bad as I feared it would be.   I realize that this is “damning with faint praise,“ but I suspect that this is about as as good as my praise is going to get this season.  Unfortunately.

I agree that they ”chase” scene was ridiculous. I understand that for a number of years now the show has been “LOLcanon” but this was violating canon they’d just shown us earlier in the episode, that is, that the ghosts, even having taken bodies, can still teleport (Or, as some posters have noticed, apparate).  Why, then, would ghosts who were clearly not wearing  Olympic sprinters decide to turn it into a foot race? 

IMO, No one came off looking good in that race, including Sam. It was just filmed so weirdly that it verged on looking like a Benny Hill episode!

Count me in as someone who would much prefer to have Demon!Jack over Nougat!Jack, a character that in his entire time on the show has failed to acquire any actual character (or characterization) and who has remained boring and one-note, and who has not shown any growth.  

As for who is Demon!Jack really, I am, despite my history of being wrong 99.99% of the time, leaning towards Alastair.  DJ said that he really hadn’t wanted to leave Hell, that he enjoyed his work torturing demons.  This is exactly what Alastair said.  He liked and admired his skills at the rack.  And he had a sense of humor.  Gets my vote!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/12/2019 at 12:10 PM, ahrtee said:

ETA:  Even if the mother didn't want to ruin her car by driving through the garage doors,

In the mother's defense, she may not have had the keys on her.  I wouldn't have cared about the garage doors or my car, as I would have just wanted out of there.  But, unlike what TV would have you believe, most average people can't hotwire a car.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

In the mother's defense, she may not have had the keys on her.  I wouldn't have cared about the garage doors or my car, as I would have just wanted out of there.  But, unlike what TV would have you believe, most average people can't hotwire a car.

Didn't she pick up the keys when they were running through the kitchen with all the bloody cake and balloons?  (That's why they went to the garage instead of running out the front--or back--doors.) I don't really want to rewatch to find out.  

But even if she couldn't hotwire a car, Sam could.  😊

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

Didn't she pick up the keys when they were running through the kitchen with all the bloody cake and balloons?  (That's why they went to the garage instead of running out the front--or back--doors.) I don't really want to rewatch to find out.  

But even if she couldn't hotwire a car, Sam could.  😊

I have no idea if she picked up keys or not.  And, of course, Sam could.  I was just saying before Sam got there.  I'm also assuming she didn't know the clown was a ghost. If you're in a neighborhood, always go for the path of least resistance to the outside.  Even if no neighbors actually help you, a bad guy may be less likely to attack you where there may be witnesses.  And never corner yourself.  Even in  a panic room.  He could burn the house down around you.

12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If you're in a neighborhood, always go for the path of least resistance to the outside.  Even if no neighbors actually help you, a bad guy may be less likely to attack you where there may be witnesses.  And never corner yourself.  Even in  a panic room.  He could burn the house down around you.

Absolutely.  That's why it made no sense for her to take the time to run from another part of the house into and then through the kitchen (past other doors and/or windows leading outside) specifically to get into the garage unless she was planning to drive away.  I doubt that was the closest exit.  *shrugs*

• Love 1