Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter One - The Mandalorian

• Start Topic

Some years after the fall of the Empire, an unnamed Mandalorian bounty hunter returns from a job to meet with his guild leader Greef Carga. Looking to get a big bounty, Carga gives him only an address of his next client who wants the bounty to be private. The Client gives the Mandalorian a vague target to bring alive.

Dropping on Disney+ on Tuesday, November 12, 2019!

• Love 1

Very enjoyable first episode. The Disney's big budget definitely shows, but thankfully they don't just try to sell this with special effects. The characters, snippets of Mandalorian culture and the little Yoda (i know it's not Yoda, but I've got no idea how his race is called) are all very intriguing. For someone like me who never dived into other SW media except for movies , it's very interesting to see another part of this galaxy far far away, that's not necessarily involved in big Skywalker drama.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I really wasn't engaged until the final scene. Now I'm intrigued.

And very thankful that Disney is doing it weekly. I need to rewatch Gargoyles.  🙂

Oh, i didn't even realize it was a weekly release. Apparently Apple TV is doing that as well. 

I screamed when the baby Yoda (not Yoda, but baby ___ whatever the heck Yoda was)... I screamed. At 6:30 in the morning in bed. I know it's not all just about how fracking cute the thing is but OMG it's the cutest thing I've ever seen. 

I also really enjoyed the rest of the show. Always love a Herzog appearance, and seeing Brian Posehn was super fun too. 

• Love 21
10 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Weekly after this one, I guess. New episodes on Fridays, which suits me fine. 

I'm not a binge watcher I can manage about 2 episodes/day so a weekly release works for me.

I really liked this, I liled the characters, the look and the fight sequences were fun.

I loved the ending with the Bounty Droid and the buddy relationship that almost formed until it tried to kill the Baby Yoda.

Some is the scenes were quite beautifully framed.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, paigow said:

George Lucas intentionally never named the species or home planet of Yoda.

I realize, I just don't know what to call the baby yet and wanted to be clear that I know it's not actually Baby Yoda as he's been dead for 5 years.

• Love 2

I was up (involuntarily) when D+ went live on the West coast but didn't want to stay up until dawn watching TM, so I downloaded it and watched it after I got up. (Which was great, because their site wasn't working for me this morning.)  I do think I will probably enjoy rewatching it more later in the evening on an actual television. 

2 minutes ago, Lisin said:

I realize, I just don't know what to call the baby yet and wanted to be clear that I know it's not actually Baby Yoda as he's been dead for 5 years.

They said the data was 50 years old for the target, right?  

• Love 1
Just now, tessaray said:

They said the data was 50 years old for the target, right?  

Yeah, so "baby" is generous but Yoda was 900 something when he died so I guess that species ages reallllly slowly.

As there's only one other "Yoda" we've ever seen and apparently she's female I wonder if this is their baby? Or... I wonder how they reproduce... I have so many questions! My main one being "They're definitely making baby Yodas for Christmas right? I NEED A BABY YODA"

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Lisin said:

My main one being "They're definitely making baby Yodas for Christmas right? I NEED A BABY YODA"

I thought the same thing!! Please someone tell me that there will be baby Yoda species plushies available in time for the holiday season?! He is so cute!

I have been really excited for this, and I thought the first episode was a great start to the series. Set the stage for some cool adventures, saw a lot of actors I like, every planet has a million weird creatures trying to kill you, it seems like a fun action series in a galaxy far away! 

On the one hand, I already want to watch more, but on the other hand, I am glad to stretch the show out and enjoy each episode. Plus, I have tons of Boy Meets World episodes to catch up on!

• Love 5

Pretty solid start.  It was kind of what I figured it would be: a Wild West show set in the universe of Star Wars.  The Mandalorian really fits alongside almost every Clint Eastwood-style lone gunman character ever made, but I ain't complaining.  I'm sure we'll get more development in the future and I'm curious to see more about the culture.  Despite being behind a mask the entire time, I thought Pedro Pascal was able to bring a lot with his voice work (especially at the end, when the more wiseass side to him came out!)

Certainly got a stacked cast here with Carl Weathers, Nick Nolte, and especially Werner Herzog, whose was probably my favorite so far.  I did think Taika Waititi was kind of wasted as IG-11 since probably anyone could have voiced him and nothing would have really changed, but I guess it doesn't matter now (then again, he is a droid, so maybe a quick trip to the repair shop will fix everyone!)  Also excited that 

Spoiler

both Ming-Na Wen and Giancarlo Esposito will be showing up here.

Totally wasn't expecting it to be a Baby Yoda!  Okay, not actually Baby Yoda, but a baby of the same species!

Production values were top notch, of course.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.  I wasn't aware that they were releasing the episodes separately, so I'm a little bummed that I have to wait for the next one, but since Disney+ also apparently has the old X-Men animated series and all 38 seasons of The Simpsons, I think I can I'll be fine!

• Love 4

I watched it with my ten year old, and both of us thought it was really good. I loved the beginning with the reveal of all the bounties frozen in carbonite. Loved too that it referred to the CHristmas Special (that's a Favreau humor line for sure), where the guy was like "I was hoping to make it home for Life Day this year, but doesn't look like that's going to happen, huh?" And the Mandalorian basically materialized behind him and said "PRobably not." Outstanding!

As I didn't read the expanded universe novels (only the ones that dealt with the main trilogy storyline prior to TFA), I wasn't aware if freezing bounties in carbonite was a common practice. I guess it must have been, but then I guess lots of stuff got frozen in carbonite, why else would Cloud City have a chamber. Also loved the scene with the four old stormtroopers.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I watched it with my ten year old, and both of us thought it was really good. I loved the beginning with the reveal of all the bounties frozen in carbonite. Loved too that it referred to the CHristmas Special (that's a Favreau humor line for sure), where the guy was like "I was hoping to make it home for Life Day this year, but doesn't look like that's going to happen, huh?" And the Mandalorian basically materialized behind him and said "PRobably not." Outstanding!

As I didn't read the expanded universe novels (only the ones that dealt with the main trilogy storyline prior to TFA), I wasn't aware if freezing bounties in carbonite was a common practice. I guess it must have been, but then I guess lots of stuff got frozen in carbonite, why else would Cloud City have a chamber. Also loved the scene with the four old stormtroopers.

Carbon freezing is one of those things that was presented in ESB as exotic and dangerous. "You want to do WHAT?" But it's been borrowed so many times that it's become old hat. While I generally liked this ep, I'd also like to see the series go in the field of new and different.

34 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Carbon freezing is one of those things that was presented in ESB as exotic and dangerous. "You want to do WHAT?" But it's been borrowed so many times that it's become old hat. While I generally liked this ep, I'd also like to see the series go in the field of new and different.

Right? That's exactly as I took it in ESB, like this was by far not the standard practice. I remember being terrified as a six year old that they had captured my hero and things weren't looking so great and he could really die! They were pretty concerned about the survival rate, it seemed, on Cloud City, but I guess maybe it wasn't important to the Mandalorian to deliver them alive, but then why freeze them at all, just kill them and chill them for delivery. Eh, whatever, I don't want to get all nerd angsty about it, I'll take it because I thought the show was good, the aesthetic was consistent, well written, and basically it was Star Wars Cowboy, which rates a "Fuck Yes" on the Uncle Juice Scale. 

ETA: I can fanwave it away by saying "Clearly technology has advanced as a portable carbon freeze facility was not on Slave 1 and required many different staffers at Bespin. It's reasonable then to assume that along with this advancement there's been an advancement in the survival statistics and expansion of use." There, now all versions of my inner child are happy :). 

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I very much enjoyed the first episode.  It moves at it's own pace but I didn't think it was slow (the episode was only about 40 minutes).  It's good and that reveal at the end was awesome.  Definitely looking forward to more of this.

-First off, shout out to the musical score by Ludwig Goransson which is rightly getting a lot of love.  To me, it felt like the score you would hear in an 80s fantasy movie.  I loved it.

-Horatio Sanz was the guy The Mandalorian captures in the beginning.  I kept wondering who that was.

-Nick Nolte is the voice of the wrangler who helped The Mandalorian.  I have spoken.

-The look of the show is tremendous and definitely captures the original film's feel.

-I hope that's not the last we see to IG-11, who was a very entertaining character.

-I had heard about Yoda's species appearing on the show but the end still took me by surprise.  Props to Jon Favreau for coming up with that as the central plot, which works and is something I never expected.

-This episode was directed by Dave Filoni, who is also an executive producer on the show.  Dave has worked his entire career in animation and served as George Lucas's supervising director and right-hand man on the great Clone Wars animated series.  Clone Wars showed how effective GL could be when he has the right people around him and Dave is one of those guys.  Mark my words, Dave Filoni is the future of Star Wars.

As a long-time Star Wars fan, it is exciting to finally see it brought to live-action televison.  It did not disappoint and I look forward to more.

• Love 10

I liked it. It didn't dwell like other pilot episodes would dwell for 30 min. on scenery or whatnot. Came in, got the first job done, got the second job, went to do it (had some troubles along the way). The end. And all in under 36 minutes. However, I think that the current rating on IMDB is too high. Maybe 7 (8 if it will still be interesting), but def. not 9.3 (well, 9.2 now).

3 hours ago, benteen said:

I hope that's not the last we see to IG-11, who was a very entertaining character.

Me too! Honestly, I thought it was kind of slow until he got to that planet and hooked up with that droid. He was giving me a slight K-2SO vibe. I hope he gets revived - he was my favorite part!

I didn't fully understand what was happening though. I know it's set after Return of the Jedi. Who was the guy who sent him on the mission? Why/how did he have the storm troopers? Is he a leftover Senator of the empire or something? Who were all of those people the Mandalorian and the droid killed/slaughtered?

I loved the ending shot - very E.T.!

I personally love the once a week format - sometimes I get stressed by all of the episodes dropping at once since I am not really a binge watcher. I don't have time and then I feel overwhelmed. Then I am annoyed because it's just frickin tv and I have enough stress in my life without tv watching becoming another thing to worry about! If it's something popular, then I feel like I have to stay off social media and the internet or I end up getting spoiled.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Right? That's exactly as I took it in ESB, like this was by far not the standard practice. I remember being terrified as a six year old that they had captured my hero and things weren't looking so great and he could really die! They were pretty concerned about the survival rate, it seemed, on Cloud City, but I guess maybe it wasn't important to the Mandalorian to deliver them alive, but then why freeze them at all, just kill them and chill them for delivery. Eh, whatever, I don't want to get all nerd angsty about it, I'll take it because I thought the show was good, the aesthetic was consistent, well written, and basically it was Star Wars Cowboy, which rates a "Fuck Yes" on the Uncle Juice Scale. 

My take was that he was going out hunting for multiple perps and only bringing then back after he collected all Bounties. If he killed them he would have had to freeze the bodies anyway as months of traveling/hunting with corpses would have stunk up the joint.

Outside the show I'm sure they did it because it looked cool and, as a throwback to Boba Fett. Inside the show it doesn't take much for me to fanwank that Frozen in Carbonite became the cool Bounty Hunter trick after people saw Han hanging on Jabba's wall.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Me too! Honestly, I thought it was kind of slow until he got to that planet and hooked up with that droid. He was giving me a slight K-2SO vibe. I hope he gets revived - he was my favorite part!

I didn't fully understand what was happening though. I know it's set after Return of the Jedi. Who was the guy who sent him on the mission? Why/how did he have the storm troopers? Is he a leftover Senator of the empire or something? Who were all of those people the Mandalorian and the droid killed/slaughtered?

I loved the ending shot - very E.T.!

I personally love the once a week format - sometimes I get stressed by all of the episodes dropping at once since I am not really a binge watcher. I don't have time and then I feel overwhelmed. Then I am annoyed because it's just frickin tv and I have enough stress in my life without tv watching becoming another thing to worry about! If it's something popular, then I feel like I have to stay off social media and the internet or I end up getting spoiled.

From what I gathered, it's about three years after ROTJ.  The New Republic took over but their reach doesn't yet extend to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, benteen said:

From what I gathered, it's about three years after ROTJ.  The New Republic took over but their reach doesn't yet extend to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. 

I gathered that from the exchange between him and Carl Weathers re: the Imperial money: "It still spends"........I just didn't understand who the guy with the Storm Troopers was and the other guy there. Also, what was the significance of the metal rectangle thing that he took to get melted down and turned into a piece of his armor?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I gathered that from the exchange between him and Carl Weathers re: the Imperial money: "It still spends"........I just didn't understand who the guy with the Storm Troopers was and the other guy there. Also, what was the significance of the metal rectangle thing that he took to get melted down and turned into a piece of his armor?

The Empire lost the war. They're still around, but in bad shape and getting worse. So their currency doesn't go as far as it used to. Not a good deal, especially if you aren't near Imperial territory.

The metal was a block of beskar, Mandalorian iron. A metal that can withstand blaster bolts, or even the occasional hit from a lightsabre. When possible, Mandalorians make their armour from it. When the Empire conquered Mando territory, a whole lot of beskar was stolen. It's not just practical, it's cultural.

• Useful 6
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Anduin said:

The metal was a block of beskar, Mandalorian iron. A metal that can withstand blaster bolts, or even the occasional hit from a lightsabre. When possible, Mandalorians make their armour from it. When the Empire conquered Mando territory, a whole lot of beskar was stolen. It's not just practical, it's cultural.

When the Mandalorian gives the woman (I'm presuming by the voice, since the character was also wearing a full helmet) she tells him that the beskar will support many foundlings, and he replies that he was a foundling once. While she's smelting, he has brief flashbacks of being carried through a firefight and put in a bunker type thing. So either he was abducted and turned into a child soldier or something more sinister happened, like slavery.

Not bad for a first episode.  Will definitely keep watching to see what happens next.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

When the Mandalorian gives the woman (I'm presuming by the voice, since the character was also wearing a full helmet) she tells him that the beskar will support many foundlings, and he replies that he was a foundling once. While she's smelting, he has brief flashbacks of being carried through a firefight and put in a bunker type thing. So either he was abducted and turned into a child soldier or something more sinister happened, like slavery.

Not bad for a first episode.  Will definitely keep watching to see what happens next.

Bryan Young had a different take on it. His family was killed by droids in the Clone Wars. The Mandos took him in and raised him. So child soldier, but maybe not actual abduction.

And yes, the Armourer was played by Emily Swallow. I liked the horns and different visor shape on her helmet. If anyone cares, my favourite Mando visor is this one.

• Love 2

Just my opinion, but I think it is a mistake to have your main character's face covered all the time. I find it hard to feel connected to a character if you can't see the emotions on his face.

The people guarding baby Yoda must have been ex-Stormtroopers because they sure couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

He was giving me a slight K-2SO vibe. I hope he gets revived - he was my favorite part!

Maybe there can be a running gag that the speech subroutine is permanently glitched from the repairs so that a different actor / actress could be used every week...

2 hours ago, Rambler said:

Just my opinion, but I think it is a mistake to have your main character's face covered all the time. I find it hard to feel connected to a character if you can't see the emotions on his face.

Maybe they can do under the helmet shots like Iron Man

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Who was the guy who sent him on the mission? Why/how did he have the storm troopers? Is he a leftover Senator of the empire or something? Who were all of those people the Mandalorian and the droid killed/slaughtered?

it's a shame they only made the one episode, perhaps those questions and more would have been answered in the span of a series of episodes.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

This was pretty fun, even for a casual Star Wars fan like myself. I liked the western feel and how it seems to have no connection to other star Wars people.

I liked the ambiguity at the end too. Did the Mandalorian save Yoda Junior because he felt a connection to him or because his client said it would be a bigger payday if he brought the target in alive?

• Love 3

The big surprise for me was that we got a reference to Life Day, the holiday established in the infamous, much hated Star Wars Holiday Special! Considering that the whole special has been very definitively removed from cannon and is considered the biggest embarrassment of the entire franchise (which, I say as a fan, is certainly saying something!) seeing it referenced here sure shows a lot of confidence in this franchise, or at least shows that the series is starting to laugh at itself a bit more. 

With the holidays coming up, I would highly recommend a watch, even if your not a huge Star Wars fan. Its hilariously cheesy and is the most 70s thing to ever 70s.  

• Love 4
On 11/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, tennisgurl said:

The big surprise for me was that we got a reference to Life Day, the holiday established in the infamous, much hated Star Wars Holiday Special! Considering that the whole special has been very definitively removed from cannon and is considered the biggest embarrassment of the entire franchise (which, I say as a fan, is certainly saying something!) seeing it referenced here sure shows a lot of confidence in this franchise, or at least shows that the series is starting to laugh at itself a bit more. 

With the holidays coming up, I would highly recommend a watch, even if your not a huge Star Wars fan. Its hilariously cheesy and is the most 70s thing to ever 70s.  

I caught the life day reference (weird!) but also noticed that the Mandalorian's rifle is the one he is toting while riding the mythosaur on the planet with the gelatinous surface. 

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting that the Mandalorian's instructions were to bring baby Yoda back alive, but IG-11's instructions were to bring it back dead.  Makes me think there are two different groups looking for it. Also interesting, it seems like that entire group of bad guys were there for the purpose of protecting baby Yoda, like they went to this place out in the boonies to hide it. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I thought it was interesting that the Mandalorian's instructions were to bring baby Yoda back alive, but IG-11's instructions were to bring it back dead.  Makes me think there are two different groups looking for it. Also interesting, it seems like that entire group of bad guys were there for the purpose of protecting baby Yoda, like they went to this place out in the boonies to hide it. 

Werner Herzog gave the Mandalorian the option to bring it back dead too, it seemed like he actually wanted it dead but the scientist guy wants it alive.

• Love 3

Okay, that was interesting. The show looks amazing, like high budget movie amazing. And it was extremely iconography heavy - seriously, there was barely thing in it that I hadn't seen before, in terms of aliens, technology, design. It was fun seeing the box droid from A New Hope, the door camera thing from Jabba's palace, the bounty hunter droid from Empire (wish he'd stayed around, as a deadpan sidekick). I even liked the tattered Storm Troopers and Salacious Crumb on a spit.

And it was extremely lore-heavy, clearly aimed at enthusiastic Star Wars fans. Because I'm not sure that they ever used the name Mandalorian in any of the movies, but here they either expected viewers to know what they were, and enough of their history that everything we saw made sense, or they had faith that people would just go with it, and figure things out.

The writing was a little uneven, and I can always do without a 'hero learns to ride an animal but falls off a few times' sequence. Seriously, who thinks that sort of thing is good? And I didn't really care for the carbonite bit, because I never thought that was a standard way of transporting prisoners. It was technology that Lando had on Cloud City, not that Boba Fett had on his ship.

The baby Yoda was cool, and I'm going to assume that he's a member of a very rare race, which has such natural Force affinity that he's incalculably valuable to everyone. So Herzog wants to use him as a way to re-establish the Empire, but would rather see him dead than brought to Luke and the Rebellion's attention.

All in all, this was fun and I will definitely keep watching. But at some point they will have to trust that fans will accept new ideas and aesthetics.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 9:54 AM, Danny Franks said:

And I didn't really care for the carbonite bit, because I never thought that was a standard way of transporting prisoners. It was technology that Lando had on Cloud City, not that Boba Fett had on his ship.

I twigged to this as well, but because I was a total ride-or-die for this show from the first frame, I fan-wanked that maybe since ESB and Boba Fett demonstrating how easy to transport carbonite is, the technology boomed and now loads of people use it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, Danny Franks said:

And it was extremely lore-heavy, clearly aimed at enthusiastic Star Wars fans. Because I'm not sure that they ever used the name Mandalorian in any of the movies, but here they either expected viewers to know what they were, and enough of their history that everything we saw made sense, or they had faith that people would just go with it, and figure things out.

It is funny I thought the exact opposite. I am the kind of star Wars fan that likes it but doesn't love it (that would be my 6 year old). I liked though that you didn't really need to know a lot about the background of the Star Wars Universe to know what was going on. All you really needed to know was that it takes place after Jedi but before the Force Awakens. There was pretty much no mention of of the characters or events of the movie or expectations that you knew all about them.

I also loved the design of the bounty hunting droid. What with the 360 degree hips and the eyes on all sides of its head. I always hate it when tv/movie robots have the same limitations as people. Because why wouldn't you give a robot 360 degree joints?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I have so many questions about Baby Yoda that I hope get answered at some point.

1. Why was he/she on that planet? 
  2. Who was guarding Baby Yoda? Or were those other Bounty Hunters Mando and the Droid were shooting at? 
  3. Who was taking care of Baby Yoda up until this point? It wasn't like the little guy was in stasis until Mando walked in. Fifty years have passed. 
  4. Baby Yoda
    Spoiler

cries out for Mando in Episode 3 but nothing for his/her current caretakers? 

• Love 1

@Sugarbeetle, I don't know how familiar you are with Star Wars in general, but there's a long tradition of leaving characters who will be very important one day on secluded planets or in areas that aren't well-traveled. Even Mando was taken in by his clan as a child rather than being born into the trade of bounty hunting, so Baby Yoda being in such an isolated spot isn't that unusual. My guess is that there was a caretaker, but something happened to them and that's why Werner Herzog's character started sending people after the child. Kuill tells Mando that he wasn't the first bounty hunter to come looking, and that he was helping him in the hope that he would take Baby Yoda away with him so there would be peace again. Even if the original caretaker died or was killed, Kuill himself might have been looking after the child in some capacity since he knew where the baby was. Like you said, it had been fifty years.

As for the calling after Mando, again my *guess* would be that Mando was the first person to bond with the baby, even accidentally. The kid tried to heal him, then pretty much saved his ass from the rhino, so I guess he's already smart enough to know when he's safe.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ilovepie said:

I didn't fully understand what was happening though. I know it's set after Return of the Jedi. Who was the guy who sent him on the mission? Why/how did he have the storm troopers? Is he a leftover Senator of the empire or something?

The Empire is over as a political entity  but its people, soldiers and equipment  still exist and many have broken off to carve out their own mini empires. So you have ex Imperial warlords running around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

How did Baby Yoda survive in that camp? Mando & Droid wiped out the bodyguards, yet all previous attempts failed.

Why did he not bond with any of them? He should be afraid of Mando.... 

Edited by paigow
  • Love 3

I agree with you paigow. I hope we get a little bit more detail into Baby Yoda's whereabouts for the past 50 years. That's kind of a suspension of disbelief for me. 

I get that if one is Force sensitive, they can detect the emotions and feelings of a person. I guess we can fanwank that BY felt Mando's Heart of Gold? 

• Love 1

No need for the Force or a heart of Gold, maybe Baby Yoda just notices sudden spikes in oxytocin in his surroundings.

Also: the crib thingy/floating stroller's hatch was closed, those brutes might never have opened it and lost their chance to bond by sheer negligence.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
On 11/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, tennisgurl said:

In the comic strip Sally Forth, Ted Forth views it every Xmas.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1