Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

I finally got around to watching this evening. I enjoyed it for the most part. 

Nancy was always described as a 'strawberry blonde' so I'm happy they kept that in. 

I'm not crazy about the actor playing Ned/Nick and I don't like that Nancy's not friends with George and Bess. 

I wasn't expecting the supernatural elements but I'm not complaining. I love scary/creepy/supernatural stuff so this made me happy. 

The show had a Riverdale look/feel about it that also drew me in. Riverdale may be BSC at times, but visually it's quite stunning. 

I'll definitely be tuning in next week so see what happens next. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh, couldn't they have found a better Ned? This guy isn't even attractive.

What bugs me is that the actor playing NedNick seems to be younger than the one playing Nancy....much, much younger. So while I'm ok with a bootycallin' Nancy, that scene with that particular actor was squicky to me. And likewise the scenes with their building a relationship....is he even old enough to drive?

And OMG --thank you all --  I didn't recognize the psychic as Pamela Sue Martin! I watched her as Nancy Drew!

Not a fan of Scott Wolf or whatever his name is. I didn't see whatever show's his claim to fame, but I can't tell if it's his acting or what someone upthread perfectly pointed out is his baby face, he just doesn't come off as a believable dad of a traumatized teen girl to me. When he's interacting with Nancy, they seem to be on two different shows. I was happy to see Adam Beach's name in the credits....not so when I saw the one-note character.

I'm intrigued--so far--with the changes they've made. I love the fact that George is Asian, has an edge, is the daughter of someone with substance abuse issues (and seemingly displays the characteristics of someone having to grow up with that). Bess is intriguing too. I think the actress playing Nancy is doing fine with what she has to work with. I'm just hoping that the angsty relationship with the dad isn't dragged out much longer, or the total loser vibe. Get her grief counseling or hey, tackle the issue of teen depression! Give us a reason to root for her, other than she has a recognizable name!

ITA with the fact that they missed an opportunity to explore the built in potential for a transgender character with George. But then again, when they first introduced "Ace" I was wondering if he was meant to be the Jughead character that didn't happen on Riverdale, including being...ace.

I'll keep watching for now, but I may also bail if it gets too much like American Horror Story. (Because then I might as well just watch AHS)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh, couldn't they have found a better Ned? This guy isn't even attractive.

Depends on your definition of attractive, I guess. He looked hot to me.

2 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

What bugs me is that the actor playing NedNick seems to be younger than the one playing Nancy....much, much younger.

I didn't notice this. But it would be worthwhile, checking the actors's ages. 

• Love 1

After years of watching Pretty Little Liars and other shows with characters being really stupid, I appreciated that (1) Nancy wore gloves when she broke into the Hudson house and (2) she told the police that since she wasn't under arrest, she was leaving.

Another thing I liked was that Nancy wasn't already BFFs with George and Bess or dating Ned when the show began. I don't mind if characters have pre-existing relationships in the first episode but after watching Sabrina and having the show begin with her having her two BFFs and "perfect" boyfriend, I prefer the way they're going about Nancy not having those relationships just yet.

It makes sense that she was adrift with almost no relationships. She admitted that she fell apart after her mom died, and since then all of her friends graduated and left for college. Given her attitude at work at the beginning of the episode, she clearly wasn't friends with her coworkers George who had an old grudge, Bess who was new in town, or Ace whose last name she didn't even know. Part of Nancy's evolution will be seeing her become more connected with George, Bess, and Nick and learning to trust them so I think this was a good change from the books.

I also liked that as the episode went on, more and more people became suspects (or at least became sketchier than they initially appeared). It's no fun when it's obvious whodunnit from the beginning.

I felt like the show was trying for a S1 Veronica Mars vibe but not succeeding. The show has enough going on that they don't need to try to add that to the mix.

One thing that might discourage me from continuing to watch this show is Nancy's vocal fry. I want her to take a deep breath and use her diaphragm. It seemed to mostly happen at the beginning of the episode so maybe someone told the actress to knock it off.

I don't know why the girls had to leave the restaurant to dip Tiffany's necklace in sea water to open it. They work in a restaurant. They could have just gone into the kitchen, dumped some salt into a glass of water, and dipped the necklace into it. And all three of the Claw's waitresses can just leave and let Ace and the short order cook run the restaurant on their own? And apparently, they all had time to run back to the restaurant and change out of their uniforms into regular clothes before going to see the medium.

Scott Wolf looks almost exactly the same as he did back in his Party of Five days so it's hard for me to take him seriously as the father of a teenager.

Nancy and Nick having sex didn't bother me. They're both adults and it's consensual. Nothing wrong with some mutual pleasure. To quote George Michael: sex is natural, sex is good.

23 hours ago, LucidDreamer said:

my complaint is making Nancy such a angsty "loser."

21 hours ago, ursula said:

Yeah this is what I said earlier. And it speaks to a larger pattern of US TV thinking that for a female protagonist to be relatable, she has to be incompetent and broken.

I didn't see Nancy as an incompetent/angsty/broken loser. She suffered a terrible loss so tanking a semester or two of school is understandable. During my high school boyfriend's senior year, his dad died and he was a complete wreck for months afterward. He quit going to school and almost didn't graduate. No one thought he was stupid or a loser because they knew he was devastated and he was dealing with a major death in the family.

Grieving her mother's death doesn't make Nancy angsty or broken. It makes her a normal human being. Not going to college doesn't make her a loser. Neither does being a waitress. Lots of people don't go to college and get regular blue collar jobs - they're not losers. As for being incompetent, she was shown to be smart enough to know how to sneak into Ryan's house, find a hidden compartment in Tiffany's nightstand, and pick the lock on her dad's file cabinet, so I wouldn't say she's incompetent.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ursula said:

I didn't notice this. But it would be worthwhile, checking the actors's ages. 

Neither the Nancy actress or the Nick actor have their ages listed on IMDb. I assume because they're a bit older but want to still be seen as young enough to play teens lol. I didn't think the Nick actor looked exceptionally young. They all look about the same age to me with maybe Nancy looking a tad older than the others.

24 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Neither the Nancy actress or the Nick actor have their ages listed on IMDb. I assume because they're a bit older but want to still be seen as young enough to play teens lol. I didn't think the Nick actor looked exceptionally young. They all look about the same age to me with maybe Nancy looking a tad older than the others.

According to Nancy Drew Wiki

Nick/Ned is 32 in real life

Nancy is 22 in real life

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Grieving her mother's death doesn't make Nancy angsty or broken. It makes her a normal human being.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As for being incompetent, she was shown to be smart enough to know how to sneak into Ryan's house, find a hidden compartment in Tiffany's nightstand, and pick the lock on her dad's file cabinet, so I wouldn't say she's incompetent.

As others stated, they could have made this an original series and run with it, and none of this would be a problem. But they had to break Nancy Drew to make her relatable, and that's the problem/point. Nancy Drew isn't any more a "normal" than Sherlock Holmes or James Bond. She's a hyper-competent Ace and if she's missing clues that the audience is picking up, it doesn't matter that she knows how to break into a house. (Why even use that as an example of competence since first Ned, then her dad's girlfriend had to bail her out?)

Edited by ursula
  • Love 3

I agree with ursula above. There just doesn't seem to be any point in making the main character "Nancy Drew" other than marketing. I doubt many of the target audience ever read Nancy Drew books or that those who did are watching a CW show. The latter, if tuning in, are probably rightly horrified at the liberties taken with the title character. I don't need to see Nancy Drew banging Ned Nickerson. It just feels disrespectful. Make her some other character. I'm not a prude I just have a healthy respect for the source material.

• Love 8

I enjoyed this, all in all. I really love the setting and scenery.

As mentioned, there is nothing in this show that ties into the books, and yes, they should have just made this an original. That being said, a "modern" show with a college age girl having sex is not weird or offensive, IMO, even given the chaste source material. 

But I also didn't love Ned...there is no chemistry between the two leads, at all.

I don't mind the actress playing Nancy in her scenes, but her flat affect in her voice overs was driving me nuts.

I've always liked Adam Beach, but have never really loved Scott Wolf. They could have found a dad that looked less like her older brother.

I liked the Twin Peaks / Riverdale feel of everyone having a bit of a secret.

But did the rich girl really have the wife's ring? How on earth did she get it? 

I'll keep tuning in if it keeps the spooky vibe going.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, secnarf said:

Carson Drew is a lawyer in the books as well.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

What bugs me is that the actor playing NedNick seems to be younger than the one playing Nancy....much, much younger. So while I'm ok with a bootycallin' Nancy, that scene with that particular actor was squicky to me. And likewise the scenes with their building a relationship....is he even old enough to drive?

Ned must be older than Nancy. She just graduated high school and he has already served time for manslaughter. He must have been 18 when he went to prison (maybe 17 if he was tried as an adult), and I would think you spend at least a year in prison for manslaughter, right?

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree with ursula above. There just doesn't seem to be any point in making the main character "Nancy Drew" other than marketing. I doubt many of the target audience ever read Nancy Drew books or that those who did are watching a CW show. The latter, if tuning in, are probably rightly horrified at the liberties taken with the title character. I don't need to see Nancy Drew banging Ned Nickerson. It just feels disrespectful. Make her some other character. I'm not a prude I just have a healthy respect for the source material.

I think calling it Nancy Drew was 100% marketing. I probably wouldn't have watched if it hadn't been for that hook. But I mentioned before, I am not so attached to anything in the books that I mind changes. I get why die hard fans would be upset, but I'm guessing the CW is not targeting them.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I think calling it Nancy Drew was 100% marketing. I probably wouldn't have watched if it hadn't been for that hook. But I mentioned before, I am not so attached to anything in the books that I mind changes. I get why die hard fans would be upset, but I'm guessing the CW is not targeting them.

I'm somewhat in this camp... The only thing naming it Nancy Drew did for me.. Was let me know. She was a young female detective.. I know very little else about the source Material.. So whatever changes there are don't bother me

• Love 2

st graduated high school and he has already served time for manslaughter. He must have been 18 when he went to prison (maybe 17 if he was tried as an adult), and I would think you spend at least a year in prison for manslaughter, right?

I mean  he might be a year or two older , but he said his records were sealed that would indicate he was a juvenile and tried as such and also why he's already out. 

I thought this was fine, and I don't need it to be faithful to OG Nancy Drew completely, but why are Nancy Drew and her dad (the heart and soul of the books) the biggest assholes in the whole show. I found them both brutally unlikeable. it's a weird way to go. Loved Bess, George, and Ned hopefully they find a way for Nancy to be less insolent whiner who TELLS us she's a great detective and more grieving daughter who actually shows us she's a great detective. 

I did love seeing what a believe was Fallon from Dynasty as the medium and need a 100% more Fallon from Dynasty. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, blixie said:

I did love seeing what a believe was Fallon from Dynasty as the medium and need a 100% more Fallon from Dynasty. 

Yep. That's Pamela Sue Martin, and she was Nancy Drew in the series that aired circa 1980.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So it's okay that George was having an affair with a married man who is twice her age (and based on her "I'm not in high school anymore" comment, it sounds like they were sleeping together when she was underage), but Nancy having sex with an age appropriate boy is what's scandalous? I guess they should have set the show in the 1960s so that she could remain a proper and chaste young lady.

• Love 4
On 10/9/2019 at 10:20 PM, ketose said:

Is the supernatural part of Nancy Drew? Either it is now or she's being gaslighted pretty hard.

They're really pushing the "adult" Nancy with the first scene being her banging Nick.

I don't get the supernatural stuff if it actually doesn't exist in this universe?  Like do monsters, ghosts, goblins exist in her world or nah? Why are ghosts hiding behind people? Doors opening by itself? Like what? The pilot was okay at best. None of the characters really stand out and chemistry is lacking. I'll stay with it for little bit longer. See if it improves. 

I only watched this because of the Nancy Drew connection.  The pilot was alright... the lead actress did look the part, and the story was relatively engaging enough for me to continue watching.  But the quality was questionable, so the end-result was rather disappointing.

I too thought they were trying too hard to be "Veronica Mars", but not succeeding in part because the dialogue wasn't natural and the "witty" banter didn't work.  Some of the lines were dreadful.  That affected how much you could like the characters and it affected the acting somewhat.

Nancy was reasonably likeable, though she came across as bratty in several instances.  I don't mind seeing Nancy develop her friendships with Bess and George over time, but within the first episode, George was running hot and cold, so it was already lacking in consistency.  If she was so down on Nancy, why was she so eager to help?  Ned/Nick didn't have much presence and was sort of just there. 

I liked Scott Wolf in past shows, but he was the weakest link in this episode.   I felt zero chemistry between he and Nancy, and this relationship is key.  It could be the dialogue too, but I think we needed to see a bit more to really buy this conflict between father and daughter.  

There was a bit too much telling, and not showing.  For example, Nancy saying she normally did her investigations alone.  So this was even before her mom died?  I didn't think it was that great a strategy to suddenly show us everyone's "secrets" like George hooking up with the murder victim's husband, or Bess with the ring, or Ace texting the police.  Nancy casually breaking in to read Ned's case file was a blatant violation of her promise to wait until Ned was ready to share.  

Visually, the picture looked sort of fuzzy with a really soft focus which bothered me.  I don't mind changes from the books when they make sense, but why even bother changing the name of the town from River Heights?  Yet have a River Heights street where Nancy lived?  

I'll keep watching, but from this first hour, it's clearly not a well-written piece of work.  Hopefully, it gets better and they make Nancy the smart, independent young woman she is, as she deals with her mother's death.  Instead of throwing in excuses for sex scenes and creepy music.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:00 PM, ketose said:

Also, has anyone seen the Canadian version of Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys from the 1990's? Apparently, she was 20 and studying criminology, which would make more sense than being a townie with no prospects.

Yes, there are a few episodes on Youtube.  These were half hour episodes, and more comedy than drama.  A lot of the Nancy Drew cases weren't really crimes.  I liked them... they had a sort of vintage feel despite being set and filmed in the 90's.  I wouldn't say they are a faithful adaptation, though. 

I figure this show felt the need to make Nancy "a townie with no prospects" for drama and to allow her character room to grow.  No one likes to see a driven, well-adjusted university student who is on top of her studies and solves crimes on the side these days, I guess.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I had nothing better to do last night, so I watched the pilot. I had heard from friends that it had little to do with her literary namesake and was a typical CW young adult drama (that may be redundant) so I had low expectations.

• I was too distracted by Nancy and Ned/Nick having fully-clothed sex before the opening credits to be shocked that this wasn't the same girl as in the books.
  • Nancy Drew is a TERRIBLE spy. Her hat gets caught on the hedge while fleeing and she decides to leave it behind and later, ND jimmies open her lawyer father's filing cabinet to look at Ned/Nick's records and just leaves them on the floor in the middle of the room!
  • I mistook ND's father for her older brother at first.
  • Did they solve the mystery at the end of the first ep, that is, everyone was involved?
  • How could someone have left the diner thru the front door and returned without being noticed, even if the power had gone out?
  • Wait, doesn't everyone being together in the diner mean they have a mutual alibi?
  • Why weren't the customers, one of which was the husband of the murdered woman, brought in for questioning?
  • What was the deal with the jumping rope song being etched/scratched/written on the wall underneath the wallpaper?
  • Everyone was unlikable. I wanted them all to goto jail by the end.

Yeah, I won't be watching this again.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 3

Did I just see Nancy Drew banging a guy in the back of a garage and then casually strolling to her waitress job?  What? 

And then later, banging the same guy because she is mad at her father. 

I think this girl has more in common with a Kardashian than Nancy Drew.

And with all the drama not associated with the crime,  this show should be called Nancy Drew 90210. 

Other than the names, this show has nothing in common with the ND books.

One of the worst adapted pilots for a show I have ever seen. 

I usually give a new show 2-4 episodes to get going, but this one might be hard to get through even 2.

I have a title for this one....The Mystery of the Bad Pilot.

• Love 4

I tuned in for Adam Beach. I notice that he's listed under 'guest starring' so I hope he doesn't leave too soon.

I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. I thought that Nancy looked just as I imagined her and the fact that here she's not the perfect, perfect girl she was in the books. I thought the casting of Ned was brilliant, making the the very white bread cast of characters somewhat more diverse.

Honestly, taking the book as written would be like making an Andy Hardy movie.

I had more trouble with the rest of the casting. I can buy Scott Wolfe (glad he got another gig after Night Shift folded) although he looks young and lacks the gravitas I remember of Carson Drew.

I imagined George as someone like Bex Taylor-Klaus and figured she was gay. It's strange to see her Chinese and with such a big chip. Bess is also very different from how I imagined her. Maybe the actress will grow on me but right now she's the casting I have the most trouble with because she is such a non-entity.

The story was interesting, and I'm looking forward to catching the next episodes to see what happens.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:48 AM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Kennedy McMann,, who plays Nancy, is going to turn 23 next week on October 30.

Tunji Kasim was in Nearly Famous in 2007 as Joe Bailey and was with the Royal Shakespeare Company 2009 - 2011, playing Edmund in King Lear (an adult role) in 2009.  (No wonder he's so good in the role.) 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, bettername2come said:

Or as I like to call him, Max from Finding Carter, aka the best thing about that show. Thanks for this, I didn't recognize him, though I loved him so. That alone might put the show in the "watch" category for me.

I really liked Max/Alex Saxon, but I could not keep watching Finding Carter, which bent over backwards to make a kidnapper sympathetic when the drama of having to fit someone into a family after they've been kidnapped should have been enough.

Anyway, I'm not wild about the show but I thought it was a nice diversion. Not really feeling Ned/Nick, however.

Like many bookish little girls, I had a Nancy Drew phase. I didn't get around to reading all the books but I very well could have if I'd been more committed to ferreting them out. I'd guess I've read at least 15. This is not MY Nancy Drew. So I have to evaluate this show on two fronts, on its own merits and comparing it to the original. 

Comparing it to the original, I feel like a lot of the changes are for the worse. Because these ads kept playing during iZombie, that's what I expected at first. Also, because that's what the book series is like. It's very case of the week. Instead, it appears that they're going with a How to Get Away with Murder thing with one long investigation. Eh... I don't know how interested I am in Heather (is that the murdered wife's name) or Lucy. A case of the week would be more engaging.

Also, the paranormal thing. I don't know what's happening. I guess she is a detective but there's also this medium component where she can kind of hear ghosts. I don't know. I'd prefer it if she were just a detective. Also, I hate horror. They really need to cool it with the jump scares and all of that. Even for a wimp like me, they mostly aren't even startling, just irritating. 

I don't like the lazy diversity. Ned is black and George is Asian and the police chief with a very Irish last name is Hispanic. OK, cool. But they're not being written in a way that fully embraces casting POC. First of all, the original book series, while not self-conscious of it, was 100% about whiteness. So changing Ned's ethnicity is a thing. It has to be a very conscious, thoughtful choice to take that character and do something different with him. What we're getting is one of two black characters who was accused of manslaughter (I think they said he was a minor and the charges were dropped but that photo in the dad's case file looked pretty recent). So George wants to fool around with the rich guy and apparently she comes from a family of fishermen, alcoholics, and teen moms. I mean, way to smash stereotypes, I guess but what??? The police chief's hatred of Nancy is inexplicable. That character makes no sense. 

I remember Nancy's dad more like Atticus Finch. Not that virtuous but certainly more dignified. 

Evaluating the show on its own merits... eh. Again, I don't like the horror stuff. I like ensemble shows. I'm down for a Scooby Squad but it seems more like The Lying Game or Pretty Little Liars where everyone has their own motives and you don't know who to trust. I just want a group of teens solving mysteries. It's not too excessive (yet) but I'm not really here for the sexy teen stuff. Other shows do it better. It seems out of place here. I will stick with it to see if it gets any better since I set my DVR to record it. 

• Love 2

Or as I like to call him, Max from Finding Carter, aka the best thing about that show. 

Ohh... I barely remember that show but something in my brain must have recognized his face. I couldn't place him. 

I did find it funny that Ned is too old fashioned of a name on a show where the lead is named Nancy and her friend is called Bess. 

I thought this in episode 2 when it's how George refers to her but it really feels like in the sexy new Nancy Drew they should be calling her Drew. Because everyone knows tough female characters are taken more seriously when they have traditionally male names. 

Freddie Prinze Jr. could have been on my screen and I got Scott Wolf??!!  Freddie would have made a more believable Carson......

Upsetting. I still picture someone a little more distinguished but I'm at least fond of FPJ from his rom-com days. I agree that Wolf has too much of a baby face. Scott feels like bobo Chad Lowe (Aria's dad on PLL). 

I'm not big on this whole grimdark thing where Nancy's closed-off and scarred by her mom's recent death and she has no friends and an adversarial relationship with her father. 

Reading through the thread, I think part of the reason I'm having trouble connecting to Nancy is because she's too close to Temperance Brennan territory. Aside from her explosive teen rants at her dad, she's being played like those brilliant male leads from USA shows of a decade plus ago. But shows like Burn Notice, Psych, Monk, etc. were built around compelling cases of the week. I do think it seems like she's going to be warming up to Ned and the rest of the group so hopefully that will help. She can't be emotionally flat because there's nothing else going on so she needs to carry the show on personality. It can't just be all jump scares. iZombie started with Liv being not only personable and charming as a lead but also empathetic. We cared because she cared. Nancy is only driven by angst over stuff that happened in the past it seems.

This Nancy feels like some kind of slacker. I know she's supposed to be broken up by her mother's death, but it just didn't work for me. 

I think part of the problem is so much of that is offscreen. I can understand her getting derailed but we've seen nothing of her relationship with her mom or how much she struggled after her mom's diagnosis and after her death. We didn't even get good flashbacks or that hacky thing where she talks to her mom so we know what the character is thinking/feeling. It's not that I want them to do hacky things but if they're going to use this much voiceover, then why not?

• Love 1
On 10/10/2019 at 4:16 AM, AnimeMania said:

The sex scene was not the greatest start, I was left wondering if Nancy was wearing any underwear and why she didn't wash her hands before she starts throwing dinner rolls on a plate. The murder mystery was not great as it seems like all of Nancy's friends had some part in it and it might take all season to solve. Then there is an ancient murder that will include everybody else of the show that was not in the diner. I was hoping for Nancy to solve a mystery every show so we could know how smart she is and admire her detective skills. From what they have shown so far I understand why she is a waitress who hasn't gone to college and is sleeping with a guy in a garage filled with junk. I wish they would have shown some brilliant detective skills because so far the only mystery is why anybody is watching this.

The sex scene was total sh@t as an opening gambit to introduce us to the character. That said, I think it was the worst thing in the episode--meaning it only got better from there. Not super-better but not hopeless.

I did bemoan the lack of any big "aha, here's why she's a great detective" moment, but then again this is a serial.  They need a slow burn and not to reveal any big revelation too fast.  So she can only uncover plot pieces to set up the rest of the season this early.

I actually liked the atmosphere of it.  I know it reeks of Riverdale, but that kind of Town of Secrets/Spookiness actually makes far more sense with an outright mystery series than a melodrama.  

I thought Nancy edged on being unlikable, but they didn't quite toss her over the cliff yet with that.  Clearly classic Nancy Drew is not anti-social, but clearly they also intend to create a Scooby Gang here, so one can safely assume her being anti-social won't last.  

Lets face it. They were aiming a LOT more for Veronica Mars than Riverdale.  And they got close enough it has some possibilities here.  After all, Veronica Mars was Nancy Drew with an edge, so this is just mirroring that back.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 5:50 AM, LucidDreamer said:

Couldn't even make it 15 minutes with this. I was afraid they would "Riverdale" the source material, and they did.

I have no problem with updating the Nancy Drew books to today, my complaint is making Nancy such a angsty "loser." The Nancy in the books, whatever time period, was smart and capable and very driven to succeed. And a bit more logical than emotional. I always saw her as very progressive, even in the books written in the 1930s and 40s -- sure, those adhered to different social mores, but Nancy was always a go-getter and not one to let anyone (including the men in her life) control her. This Nancy feels like some kind of slacker. I know she's supposed to be broken up by her mother's death, but it just didn't work for me. 

Not continuing with this one. 

I agree. I just watched the 1st episode and I’ll probably watch a few more (lots of shows take a couple of episodes to hit their stride), but right now I’m pretty ambivalent. Some of it was fun, some a little dull, some just frustrating.

As for Nancy; I think she’s the weakest link but not because she’s updated. I don’t really care about adaptations straying from source material. Different ways of telling a story need different things. And I really don’t care about that when it comes to Nancy Drew since I’ve always found Nancy Drew more interesting as a concept than a character. Intrepid girl detective is a pretty fun idea, but I’ve always found the Nancy in the books a pretty dull cipher type of character. So I say change away if it works. I just didn’t like this Nancy. Like as a general person. I found her annoying and selfish and pouty. So far there is so little charm in the character that I’m not really rooting for her. That’s kind of a problem.

Just started this. My main thoughts so far is that Nancy Drew is the image of Alicia Silverstone.

Also, it’s nice to see Aunt Jenna from Vampire Diaries show up Nancy’s mother even though there’s only a ten year age gap between both actresses. I hope through flashbacks she might get a bit of A meatier role in this than she was given in VD.

So far im struggling to take Scott Wolf seriously out of all the Characters.

• Love 1

I'm rewatching for background noise and am extremely impressed by how much they managed to include in this episode. When I noticed the credits playing, I was shocked to be starting episode 2 and not 3.