Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
theschnauzers

World on Fire

On 4/21/2020 at 7:58 AM, BusyOctober said:

Helen Hunt’s plastic surgery is jarring.  It looks as if every inch of pliable skin has been stretched so tautly across her mouth and cheekbones.  She looks almost mummified, and sounds as if she has a hard time speaking because there is no flexibility in the skin or muscles around her lips.  Does she have an ill-fitting pair of dentures crammed in there?  I think her attempt to “look fresh and young” has stilted her acting ability.  She can’t emote with her eyes or facial expressions anymore.

As much as I liked this series, this is what I found so distracting. Between the plastic surgery and the lighting they used on her to soften that 'jarring' appearance, it's very distracting to watch her scenes. The delivery of her lines is rather sharp and robotic, too - not too much emotion.

Overall, I'd give it a B+ since the direction was pretty good and the series moved fast. Some of the characters could be more interesting, and better-written, too. I'll see if I tune in next year. 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 2:09 AM, Camera One said:

As usual, there were a handful of good scenes, with a lot of mediocre scenes I couldn't care less about, especially anything related to the baby.

The most interesting scene was Lois' father visiting the psychiatric hospital again and Jan seeing his brother again.  Grzegorz having shell shock was moving, and it would be nice to see Douglas helping him.  I can see Tom barging in and telling Jan that his older brother was trying to cut in line at Dunkirk, though.

There was a well-done scene with Harry and his mother too, but I was just so bored with this whole trite done-a-million-times soapy story.  Harry still never explained why he married Kasia.  Lois would still be hurt, but you'd think she wouldn't be as rude and unfeeling about the whole situation.  

Lois agreeing to marry the pilot because he didn't die is just stupid.  

It was nice we finally get to have some time in Poland.  I'm not big on any of the relationships since I wasn't really looking for ships on a historical drama, but the reunion with Harry and Kasia was well done.  

Webster being Helen Hunt's son was an interesting reveal.  Webster crying in the scene with Albert would have really stood out, and I hope that didn't put an even bigger target on Albert's back.  It's a bit ridiculous that Helen Hunt's handler would be interested in having sex with her.  I know he has round glasses and is supposed to look unattractive, but he's 20 years younger than her.  

This show is very mediocre, but I do hope for more seasons.  We should be able to see how the bombings and air raids will mean that England is no longer safe.

When did we learn the doctor is Helen Hunt's son? I was just left hoping we'd eventually find out who he was and what he was doing in the war.

2 minutes ago, Tyro49 said:

When did we learn the doctor is Helen Hunt's son? I was just left hoping we'd eventually find out who he was and what he was doing in the war.

I think it was inferred, when she said she was raped.  I don't think it was said outright?

5 minutes ago, Tyro49 said:

She mentions having a son earlier (to Claudia's son, I think?), then mentions the rape to Webster later. I think we were meant to put two and two together.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Like 4

On 5/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

She mentions having a son earlier (to Claudia's son, I think?), then mentions the rape to Webster later. I think we were meant to put two and two together.

It was the father Uwe, but yes, infer is the name of the game here, I think. 

A few DVD notes for those who can and choose to buy—Privileged Harry’s inexperience, immaturity and naïveté in the uncut opener is so much more glaring, especially after viewing the full series. Lots of character evolution there in 7 episodes, amounting to the introduction of the concept to him that “you can’t always get what you want...”

I’m not sure telling Lois why he married Kasia would have helped Lois’ treatment of him with regard to their baby. Harry ultimately did it because he loves Kasia and if he told Lois that it would only have incensed her more, I think. Harry married Kasia as much for himself as he did to save her. He made no provisions for her family. He was/is that triple threat of looks, money and smarts. The world was his oyster before the war. “Charm and good hair” was Lois’ Harry. 

And one other thing that may only interest me. I am pretty sure PBS included dialogue that is not on my DVD in at least one instance. The scene with Lois, Robina and the baby is one example. Pretty sure the DVD does not include “Harry is married to his sister.” If it does, mea culpa. I would rather PBS did not splice and dice. 

As my city had fires burning last night, it brought new meaning to the title of this show.

10 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

I’m not sure telling Lois why he married Kasia would have helped Lois’ treatment of him with regard to their baby.  Harry ultimately did it because he loves Kasia

Helen Hunt gave Harry the idea, so the proposal happened at that point because that was the only way to bring her to safe place, which became urgent with the explosion and the fall of Danzig.  I doubt they would have married so quickly if they weren't in such danger.  Their love also deepened because of that danger.  I didn't buy that the love was that deep before all this.

I think on "Downtown Abbey", sometimes PBS had scenes that weren't in the British version, which is just weird.  I think the DVD should be complete... it's disappointing that it may be missing scenes.

Edited by Camera One

On 6/1/2020 at 12:51 AM, Camera One said:

I think on "Downtown Abbey", sometimes PBS had scenes that weren't in the British version, which is just weird.  I think the DVD should be complete... it's disappointing that it may be missing scenes.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the same phenomena on Downton Abbey forums.

I confirmed last night that PBS not only included dialogue not on the UK version DVD, but also unfortunately removed dialogue in the scene with Lois, Robina and the baby. In the UK version, which I prefer, Robina does not remind us/Lois that Harry is married to Jan's sister, but instead Robina reflects to Lois that Jan has already lost everything he ever believed in... 

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the same phenomena on Downton Abbey forums.

I confirmed last night that PBS not only included dialogue not on the UK version DVD, but also unfortunately removed dialogue in the scene with Lois, Robina and the baby. In the UK version, which I prefer, Robina does not remind us/Lois that Harry is married to Jan's sister, but instead Robina reflects to Lois that Jan has already lost everything he ever believed in... 

That is so interesting.  And so wrong.  The network should not be editing a show.  The showrunner who is creating their story should be choosing what to include and what to exclude.  What showrunner would give a rough cut to a UK network and PBS and say "Hey, you have a go at this!"  If one version is complete, and another version is just edited/cut down, that's more understandable (eg. for time, profanity/scenes deemed inappropriate for network TV).  

I started watching the series "Versailles" on demand, and got 2/3rds into Season 1, and then I read a recap online, and it was describing scenes I didn't get to see.  It is extremely frustrating... I almost would rather not watch than to watch an incomplete version of something.

• Like 2

PBS tends to do some editing, but why is beyond me.  Call the Midwife is another that is edited.  I love the “behind the scenes” but I’d happily forgo those to get the version that is broadcast in it’s entirety.  

Topic?  This season finale is quite the cliffhanger. I thought there seemed to be something off with the transport, but still was shocked to have the soldiers open fire like they did.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 7:27 AM, BusyOctober said:

Either I fell asleep for a bunch of scenes, or PBS cut stuff, or I just didn’t care enough to pay attention.

What happened to Kasia’s friend? Was he killed or captured? 

I know I am very late to responding and hopefully this hasn't already been answered but I believe he was killed.  I thought when they took Kasia to the prison cell she looked out the window and you could see him hanging.  It was a quick shot but I could've sworn it was him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

PBS tends to do some editing, but why is beyond me.  Call the Midwife is another that is edited.  I love the “behind the scenes” but I’d happily forgo those to get the version that is broadcast in it’s entirety.  

Topic?  This season finale is quite the cliffhanger. I thought there seemed to be something off with the transport, but still was shocked to have the soldiers open fire like they did.

I suppose the cuts accommodate the cruise company ads and drive DVD purchases from devotees and the associated revenue? I bought early Downton and they got me again here. In that finale scene I referenced, given what PBS left out per their usual, but also inserted as if they got a rough cut to have their way with as Camera One noted, I thought it impacted how the characters came across. For me, the PBS cut was kinder to Lois’ characterization. I commented on the scene based on the DVD/UK. 

The cliffhanger was rough before the COVID-19 induced delay. The interviews after the US airing were smart. 

7 hours ago, Peper81 said:

I know I am very late to responding and hopefully this hasn't already been answered but I believe he was killed.  I thought when they took Kasia to the prison cell she looked out the window and you could see him hanging.  It was a quick shot but I could've sworn it was him.

Yes, that was him, and he was killed off in the finale as you noted. Tomasz was not seen in episode 6 and it made me wonder where he was then too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

The third Princess Margaret will be well-played. Congratulations to The Crown on wisely casting World on Fire’s jewel in the crown, Lesley Manville. 

Oh, I can't wait to see her play Margaret. She's been awesome as Robina.

• Like 2

Is this having a second season, or has it fallen to covid delays? I’ve watched the last episode, re-aired recently on PBS, just in case. If they aren’t going to continue, it’s a shame. So many great actors/performances for the show to just die. 

• Like 3

As far as I know, a second season hasn’t been cancelled. I think the problem is protocols related to COVID-19 and the fact that season one was filed in various European nations.

• Like 2