Type keyword(s) to search

World on Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/21/2020 at 7:58 AM, BusyOctober said:

Helen Hunt’s plastic surgery is jarring.  It looks as if every inch of pliable skin has been stretched so tautly across her mouth and cheekbones.  She looks almost mummified, and sounds as if she has a hard time speaking because there is no flexibility in the skin or muscles around her lips.  Does she have an ill-fitting pair of dentures crammed in there?  I think her attempt to “look fresh and young” has stilted her acting ability.  She can’t emote with her eyes or facial expressions anymore.

As much as I liked this series, this is what I found so distracting. Between the plastic surgery and the lighting they used on her to soften that 'jarring' appearance, it's very distracting to watch her scenes. The delivery of her lines is rather sharp and robotic, too - not too much emotion.

Overall, I'd give it a B+ since the direction was pretty good and the series moved fast. Some of the characters could be more interesting, and better-written, too. I'll see if I tune in next year. 

• Love 3
On 5/19/2020 at 2:09 AM, Camera One said:

As usual, there were a handful of good scenes, with a lot of mediocre scenes I couldn't care less about, especially anything related to the baby.

The most interesting scene was Lois' father visiting the psychiatric hospital again and Jan seeing his brother again.  Grzegorz having shell shock was moving, and it would be nice to see Douglas helping him.  I can see Tom barging in and telling Jan that his older brother was trying to cut in line at Dunkirk, though.

There was a well-done scene with Harry and his mother too, but I was just so bored with this whole trite done-a-million-times soapy story.  Harry still never explained why he married Kasia.  Lois would still be hurt, but you'd think she wouldn't be as rude and unfeeling about the whole situation.  

Lois agreeing to marry the pilot because he didn't die is just stupid.  

It was nice we finally get to have some time in Poland.  I'm not big on any of the relationships since I wasn't really looking for ships on a historical drama, but the reunion with Harry and Kasia was well done.  

Webster being Helen Hunt's son was an interesting reveal.  Webster crying in the scene with Albert would have really stood out, and I hope that didn't put an even bigger target on Albert's back.  It's a bit ridiculous that Helen Hunt's handler would be interested in having sex with her.  I know he has round glasses and is supposed to look unattractive, but he's 20 years younger than her.  

This show is very mediocre, but I do hope for more seasons.  We should be able to see how the bombings and air raids will mean that England is no longer safe.

When did we learn the doctor is Helen Hunt's son? I was just left hoping we'd eventually find out who he was and what he was doing in the war.

2 minutes ago, Tyro49 said:

When did we learn the doctor is Helen Hunt's son? I was just left hoping we'd eventually find out who he was and what he was doing in the war.

I think it was inferred, when she said she was raped.  I don't think it was said outright?

• Like 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Tyro49 said:

She mentions having a son earlier (to Claudia's son, I think?), then mentions the rape to Webster later. I think we were meant to put two and two together.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 4
On 5/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

She mentions having a son earlier (to Claudia's son, I think?), then mentions the rape to Webster later. I think we were meant to put two and two together.

It was the father Uwe, but yes, infer is the name of the game here, I think. 

A few DVD notes for those who can and choose to buy—Privileged Harry’s inexperience, immaturity and naïveté in the uncut opener is so much more glaring, especially after viewing the full series. Lots of character evolution there in 7 episodes, amounting to the introduction of the concept to him that “you can’t always get what you want...”

I’m not sure telling Lois why he married Kasia would have helped Lois’ treatment of him with regard to their baby. Harry ultimately did it because he loves Kasia and if he told Lois that it would only have incensed her more, I think. Harry married Kasia as much for himself as he did to save her. He made no provisions for her family. He was/is that triple threat of looks, money and smarts. The world was his oyster before the war. “Charm and good hair” was Lois’ Harry. 

And one other thing that may only interest me. I am pretty sure PBS included dialogue that is not on my DVD in at least one instance. The scene with Lois, Robina and the baby is one example. Pretty sure the DVD does not include “Harry is married to his sister.” If it does, mea culpa. I would rather PBS did not splice and dice. 

As my city had fires burning last night, it brought new meaning to the title of this show.

(edited)
10 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

I’m not sure telling Lois why he married Kasia would have helped Lois’ treatment of him with regard to their baby.  Harry ultimately did it because he loves Kasia

Helen Hunt gave Harry the idea, so the proposal happened at that point because that was the only way to bring her to safe place, which became urgent with the explosion and the fall of Danzig.  I doubt they would have married so quickly if they weren't in such danger.  Their love also deepened because of that danger.  I didn't buy that the love was that deep before all this.

I think on "Downtown Abbey", sometimes PBS had scenes that weren't in the British version, which is just weird.  I think the DVD should be complete... it's disappointing that it may be missing scenes.

Edited by Camera One
On 6/1/2020 at 12:51 AM, Camera One said:

I think on "Downtown Abbey", sometimes PBS had scenes that weren't in the British version, which is just weird.  I think the DVD should be complete... it's disappointing that it may be missing scenes.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the same phenomena on Downton Abbey forums.

I confirmed last night that PBS not only included dialogue not on the UK version DVD, but also unfortunately removed dialogue in the scene with Lois, Robina and the baby. In the UK version, which I prefer, Robina does not remind us/Lois that Harry is married to Jan's sister, but instead Robina reflects to Lois that Jan has already lost everything he ever believed in... 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the same phenomena on Downton Abbey forums.

I confirmed last night that PBS not only included dialogue not on the UK version DVD, but also unfortunately removed dialogue in the scene with Lois, Robina and the baby. In the UK version, which I prefer, Robina does not remind us/Lois that Harry is married to Jan's sister, but instead Robina reflects to Lois that Jan has already lost everything he ever believed in... 

That is so interesting.  And so wrong.  The network should not be editing a show.  The showrunner who is creating their story should be choosing what to include and what to exclude.  What showrunner would give a rough cut to a UK network and PBS and say "Hey, you have a go at this!"  If one version is complete, and another version is just edited/cut down, that's more understandable (eg. for time, profanity/scenes deemed inappropriate for network TV).  

I started watching the series "Versailles" on demand, and got 2/3rds into Season 1, and then I read a recap online, and it was describing scenes I didn't get to see.  It is extremely frustrating... I almost would rather not watch than to watch an incomplete version of something.

• Love 2

PBS tends to do some editing, but why is beyond me.  Call the Midwife is another that is edited.  I love the “behind the scenes” but I’d happily forgo those to get the version that is broadcast in it’s entirety.  

Topic?  This season finale is quite the cliffhanger. I thought there seemed to be something off with the transport, but still was shocked to have the soldiers open fire like they did.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2020 at 7:27 AM, BusyOctober said:

Either I fell asleep for a bunch of scenes, or PBS cut stuff, or I just didn’t care enough to pay attention.

What happened to Kasia’s friend? Was he killed or captured? 

I know I am very late to responding and hopefully this hasn't already been answered but I believe he was killed.  I thought when they took Kasia to the prison cell she looked out the window and you could see him hanging.  It was a quick shot but I could've sworn it was him.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

PBS tends to do some editing, but why is beyond me.  Call the Midwife is another that is edited.  I love the “behind the scenes” but I’d happily forgo those to get the version that is broadcast in it’s entirety.  

Topic?  This season finale is quite the cliffhanger. I thought there seemed to be something off with the transport, but still was shocked to have the soldiers open fire like they did.

I suppose the cuts accommodate the cruise company ads and drive DVD purchases from devotees and the associated revenue? I bought early Downton and they got me again here. In that finale scene I referenced, given what PBS left out per their usual, but also inserted as if they got a rough cut to have their way with as Camera One noted, I thought it impacted how the characters came across. For me, the PBS cut was kinder to Lois’ characterization. I commented on the scene based on the DVD/UK. 

The cliffhanger was rough before the COVID-19 induced delay. The interviews after the US airing were smart. 

7 hours ago, Peper81 said:

I know I am very late to responding and hopefully this hasn't already been answered but I believe he was killed.  I thought when they took Kasia to the prison cell she looked out the window and you could see him hanging.  It was a quick shot but I could've sworn it was him.

Yes, that was him, and he was killed off in the finale as you noted. Tomasz was not seen in episode 6 and it made me wonder where he was then too. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

The third Princess Margaret will be well-played. Congratulations to The Crown on wisely casting World on Fire’s jewel in the crown, Lesley Manville. 

Oh, I can't wait to see her play Margaret. She's been awesome as Robina.

• Love 2

Is this having a second season, or has it fallen to covid delays? I’ve watched the last episode, re-aired recently on PBS, just in case. If they aren’t going to continue, it’s a shame. So many great actors/performances for the show to just die. 

• Love 4
On 5/10/2021 at 10:43 PM, theschnauzers said:

As far as I know, a second season hasn’t been cancelled. I think the problem is protocols related to COVID-19 and the fact that season one was filed in various European nations.

Jonah Hauer-King just wrapped The Little Mermaid not long ago. I heard tale production would restart this summer. Hopefully they are able to get going again and this show does not go the way of Victoria — another Mammoth Screen production. 

• Love 3

Sorry to see that Arthur Darvill won't be back. I really like him and his character, even if it meant far too much of Lois. Thank goodness Ewan Mitchell was available when they filmed season 2 since he was the real reason I watched the show. I know I'm in the minority in liking Tom  but I appreciate him mostly being an ass. It makes him different from almost everyone else on the show. 

• Like 1

I finally signed up for MPT Passport so I could rewatch the first season without having to get the dvds from the library, which is how I watched it the first time.  I'd heard about PBS editing shows from the UK but never noticed because I'd always watched them on PBS.  This is the first time I've watched the unedited episodes before seeing the edited ones and I'm getting really annoyed at the cuts.  Probably going to end up buying the dvds, which I was trying to avoid.

Doesn't help that the cuts I've noticed the most were from Ewan Mitchell's scenes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

This is the first time I've watched the unedited episodes before seeing the edited ones and I'm getting really annoyed at the cuts.  

That's disappointing.  Feels like I wasn't getting the full experience watching on PBS.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2023 at 9:24 AM, proserpina65 said:

I finally signed up for MPT Passport so I could rewatch the first season without having to get the dvds from the library, which is how I watched it the first time.  I'd heard about PBS editing shows from the UK but never noticed because I'd always watched them on PBS.  This is the first time I've watched the unedited episodes before seeing the edited ones and I'm getting really annoyed at the cuts.  Probably going to end up buying the dvds, which I was trying to avoid.

Doesn't help that the cuts I've noticed the most were from Ewan Mitchell's scenes.

Only 3 minutes of Ewan 😔 , I hoped to see more of him.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Only 3 minutes of Ewan 😔 , I hoped to see more of him.

I'm not in England and couldn't watch but did check the twitter feeds regarding the show and was quite disappointed to find out how little of him there was in the show.  {There was much lamentation in Ewan Land.}  Julia Brown tweeted something about him being really booked up (I imagine with HOTD) so it makes sense that he wasn't available for more, but still. 😪

There were a LOT of good screen shots, though, must've been every single second he was on screen.  Makes me impatient for October.  Watch PBS cut most of those 3 minutes.  At least I won't have to invest time in the other episodes if none of the other storylines interest me, I guess.

23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not in England and couldn't watch but did check the twitter feeds regarding the show and was quite disappointed to find out how little of him there was in the show.  {There was much lamentation in Ewan Land.}  Julia Brown tweeted something about him being really booked up (I imagine with HOTD) so it makes sense that he wasn't available for more, but still. 😪

There were a LOT of good screen shots, though, must've been every single second he was on screen.  Makes me impatient for October.  Watch PBS cut most of those 3 minutes.  At least I won't have to invest time in the other episodes if none of the other storylines interest me, I guess.

Yeah I read that tweet as well but I kinda think this season we are not going to see alot of Tom Bennet 😐

(edited)
1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

Yeah I read that tweet as well but I kinda think this season we are not going to see alot of Tom Bennet 😐

Spoiler

Apparently only in the first two episodes.  Which sucks.

Don't know if that needed to be spoilered, but just in case.  I'd bet there's a 50/50 chance PBS will cut most of his scenes, such as they are.  They cut a significant portion of them in season 1.  Bastards.

Edited by proserpina65
On 7/18/2023 at 1:53 PM, proserpina65 said:
  Reveal spoiler

Apparently only in the first two episodes.  Which sucks.

Don't know if that needed to be spoilered, but just in case.  I'd bet there's a 50/50 chance PBS will cut most of his scenes, such as they are.  They cut a significant portion of them in season 1.  Bastards.

😡

22 hours ago, Nicmar said:

😡

I'm looking at getting the dvds for season one, but what I got from the library had 3 discs and everything I'm seeing online only has 2, so I'm afraid it's the PBS edit.  Which I do not want unless there's absolutely no other option.

Season 2, episode 1

Off to a good start. We get to see the war expend to Egypt and the absolute creepiness of breeding for Aryan race

Kasia's alive! And she's still awesome. Watching her hit the racist guy was awesome and commenting that she killed more Nazis then he ever will. I love her. I felt for her with her nightmares and Jan asking how their mother died. I'd probably lie too.  That was horrible. How do you tell your brother that? Especially when he got upset when she hit someone. I do want to know how she and Harry got out of Poland since they were being chased by soldiers at the end of last season.

I think Robina was a little hard on Kasia about her nightmares. She's been through a lot.

Tom's still an ass. I can't believe I'm going to defend Lois here. But he was in France when their father was killed. How the hell was she suppose to tell him? And actually shocked that she gave him a funeral? What the hell Tom? I'm don't like Lois but she hardly seemed the type to ditch the body or just leave it. Of course there was funeral. Yeah it sucks that their dad died alone but it was a bombing. Would he be happier if Lois and the baby were killed with him? Well, this is Tom so probably. Go die Tom. 

I don't think Lois is dead. 

• Useful 2

I felt a little lost. Maybe I should have rewatched the previous season's finale. If they had a recap before the episode, I missed it, so I wasn't sure which of these people I was supposed to remember. I remembered Lois, her babydaddy, his awful mom, his Polish wife, and her brother, as well as Lois's sailor brother (but I don't remember if we knew he survived his ship sinking). I guess they killed off her father and fiance offscreen when they couldn't get Sean Bean and Arthur Darvill back. Were we supposed to know any of the people in North Africa? I also wasn't sure if we were supposed to know the German girls. That wasn't the family Helen Hunt's character knew in Berlin, was it? I take it Helen Hunt won't be back, either. We also don't seem to have kept up with the gay doctors in France. It seems like they veered everything other than the guy, his Polish wife, and his mom off in a different direction, and the rest of the show is totally new, which is a little disorienting.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Tom's still an ass. I can't believe I'm going to defend Lois here. But he was in France when their father was killed. How the hell was she suppose to tell him? And actually shocked that she gave him a funeral? What the hell Tom? I'm don't like Lois but she hardly seemed the type to ditch the body or just leave it. Of course there was funeral. Yeah it sucks that their dad died alone but it was a bombing. Would he be happier if Lois and the baby were killed with him? Well, this is Tom so probably. Go die Tom. 

I don't think Tom was still in France.  I think more time has passed than that, since Lois apparently did write a letter to whatever ship he was serving on.  (Kasia's brother was out of the hospital and is apparently now working as a mechanic with the RAF, so it's been at least a few months.)  I'm going to defend Tom here.  He doesn't really blame Lois, he's hurting and ashamed that he didn't have the chance to make things right with his dad and wasn't there to save him, and he's hitting out.  Sure, it's wrong but it's how he's grieving.

Honestly, the only people I care about in this show are Tom and Stan, and now the other guys in North Africa a little bit.  And I'm probably out once Tom's few scenes are done.  (Thanks, friends in Britain who warned me about how little screen time he got.)

• Like 1

Glad it’s back, and 2 years, six months later, I guess we have to expect some cast changes (which may or may not have influenced plot/story changes). I’m bothered by the translation captions being difficult to read. So far, liked the first episode, but they sure seem to be jumping around quite a bit. I think we have to write off the journalist, her “nephew”, and his musician as “fate unknown” due to delays and filming constraints. Too bad.

• Like 3

Can someone remind me of who Stan is and who else he's connected to? I didn't remember him at all, but he was featured in that "where we left off" video. I may have to rewatch season one, or parts of it. I thought I remembered the major storylines, but I'm drawing a blank with him.

This series somewhat reminds me of The Winds of War/War and Remembrance miniseries from the 80s, though less American-centric, in that it manages to cover the whole war, but somehow all the storylines have some connections to each other, as a character in one plot may have a link to a character in another plot. It's somewhat complicated this season by some of the links being missing. And then there's the slight weirdness from the link being the guy dropping the bombs on one group of characters being the brother of another character from a different story.

• Like 1

Didn't the last season end with a bunch of cliff hangers?  Kasia and babydaddy/husband were in a farmhouse with the Nazi's closing in.  Tom's ship was sinking. etc etc

Couldn't they bother with resolution to those?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Can someone remind me of who Stan is and who else he's connected to?

Was Stan the nice sergeant who was serving with Harry last season? I haven't watched the episode yet (and probably wouldn't recognize him even if I had, as it's been so long), but I remember liking the character, so I hope it's him!

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Didn't the last season end with a bunch of cliff hangers?  Kasia and babydaddy/husband were in a farmhouse with the Nazi's closing in.  Tom's ship was sinking. etc etc

Couldn't they bother with resolution to those?

I assume the huge delay in filming/ losing a bunch of actors hindered their ability to pick up right where they left off timeline-wise. Maybe they'll allude to stuff later? Although I thought Tom was headed home after the ship sunk last we saw him anyway? (Or did he have multiple near-death experiences in season 1? I honestly remember very little, other than being annoyed by multiple storylines and characters...)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Didn't the last season end with a bunch of cliff hangers?  Kasia and babydaddy/husband were in a farmhouse with the Nazi's closing in. 

Okay, I'm not nuts, because I thought that was where we left off with them, so I felt disoriented when they were suddenly on a bus in England.

37 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe they'll allude to stuff later?

They did explain the absence of Lois's father, with Sean Bean being gone, and mentioned she lost her fiance, since they lost Arthur Darvill for this season. I can deal with that. People die in war, and we don't have to see it, and it looks like Lois is still processing it all, so it's not like nothing ever happened. But going from a farmhouse with Nazis closing in to in a bus in England is a bigger leap.

• Like 4

I'm not crazy about the new handsome, arrogant character David.  He's going to have to redeem himself somehow. 

I am looking forward to the possible spy plot they are teasing for Kasia.  She's still my favorite character.  I like Stan, too.   

Now that Sean Bean is gone, I don't care about Harry or Tom or Lois.  And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I love all the scenes with Robina (might be because the actress is so good, though). 

Edited by alias1
  • Like 3

Last season, Tom came home on leave after a harrowing experience. He didn’t want to return and his father convinced him he must return. Then, we realized he was headed for the vessel history tells us was sunk with very few survivors. Don’t remember whether his ship sank before or after 1940. He’s either home having survived, or still has that ordeal ahead of him. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Okay, I'm not nuts, because I thought that was where we left off with them, so I felt disoriented when they were suddenly on a bus in England.

They did explain the absence of Lois's father, with Sean Bean being gone, and mentioned she lost her fiance, since they lost Arthur Darvill for this season. I can deal with that. People die in war, and we don't have to see it, and it looks like Lois is still processing it all, so it's not like nothing ever happened. But going from a farmhouse with Nazis closing in to in a bus in England is a bigger leap.

Had to be expected, can’t have the main character bunging up his first mission, no matter how ill prepared he was. 

• Like 2