Type keyword(s) to search

World on Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

There could be no making nice with the woman employee. She believed that she was superior because she was a party member and she was going to turn him in unless he gave in to her every order. I'm too young to know about the time of the Nazis but my parents told me stories about people like that from the Communist takeover of Eastern Europe. You had to do what they wanted because they had all the power as True Party Members.

I wonder how she knew he had sent her daughter away to his country home.  I don't know how the Party structure worked, but was she better connected despite being a factory worker?  That is scary since it means they will investigate her disappearance.  She was probably the reason why the Party officials came to the factory demanding he publicly demonstrate his loyalty to the cause.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Lois' pianist friend telling the soldier that he didn't sound Canadian struck a very wrong note. Surely someone living in England knows that accents vary from region to region. Also Canada was in the war from the beginning, fighting alongside the British while it took until after Pearl Harbor for the Americans to join so her default assumption should have been that he's a Canadian.

It seemed like such an odd thing to spend screen time on that I wondered if they were setting something up. There were apparently some Americans who wanted into the war and went to Canada to join up so they could get into the fight, so maybe that's what's going on here, an American posing as a Canadian.

Looks like we now have a big romantic polygon. There's Lois having Harry's baby, Harry married to Kasia. I wouldn't be surprised if Kasia ends up getting involved with Cute Resistance Guy. Lois and Pianist Pilot look to be heading somewhere (and since that's Arthur Darvill, he'll probably have a decent-sized role). Harry may end up as the odd man out.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

It seemed like such an odd thing to spend screen time on that I wondered if they were setting something up. There were apparently some Americans who wanted into the war and went to Canada to join up so they could get into the fight, so maybe that's what's going on here, an American posing as a Canadian.

I assumed it was playful banter.  I can't remember what that guy looked like, so I thought he was a glorified extra.  Was he the one who was (earlier on) carrying the microphone stands and asking where to put it, and the two women thought he was a little dense?

4 hours ago, Camera One said:

I assumed it was playful banter.  I can't remember what that guy looked like, so I thought he was a glorified extra.  Was he the one who was (earlier on) carrying the microphone stands and asking where to put it, and the two women thought he was a little dense?

Yes. He’s Randy O’Connor, Webster’s brother. He went to Canada like the Tom Hanks character in Every Time We Say Goodbye to enlist with the RAF as real pilots did before America entered the war as Shanna Marie noted. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

He’s Randy O’Connor, Webster’s brother. He went to Canada like the Tom Hanks character in Every Time We Say Goodbye to enlist with the RAF as real pilots did before America entered the war as Shanna Marie noted. 

So, it probably is plot-significant. I need to find a chart of all the characters because I didn't make that connection. But I tend to tune out when we're with the doctors in Paris. I've been bad about using this show as background noise because although I'm obsessed with WWII, I haven't really been engaged, but I feel like it's picking up.

• Love 1

Lois and her storyline are what bugs me almost as Helen Hunt’s horrendous cosmetic surgery.  Although her character irks as well. But Lois’ whole story seems a bit anachronistic.  Would a single, VERY pregnant young woman been allowed to entertain the troops in the early 40’s?  I don’t think so.  I remember my grandmother (born in 1922) and my mother (1945) telling me that even once a married woman was showing, typically her employment was terminated.  My mom had a friend who was an elementary school teacher in 1971, and she was asked to leave when she was 5 mos pregnant and could hide the “bump”.  I find it hard to believe a 20- something unmarried pregnant girl (with questionable singing talent BTW) would be a welcome sight in front of “impressionable” young men.

I am glad Harry and his Sgt got out of Dunkirk.  I am also glad the factory owner (Hilda’s dad) killed the nosy Nazi.  She would have turned him in and he, his wife and little Hilda would be dead in a week.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

So, it probably is plot-significant. I need to find a chart of all the characters because I didn't make that connection. But I tend to tune out when we're with the doctors in Paris. I've been bad about using this show as background noise because although I'm obsessed with WWII, I haven't really been engaged, but I feel like it's picking up.

Yeah, I need to look up what that guy looked like.  I tend to use a lot of shows as background noise too, though I was trying to watch for the visuals of this one.

1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Although her character irks as well. But Lois’ whole story seems a bit anachronistic.

I agree.  I find several elements of this series to be a tad anachronistic.  While I appreciate watching "untold stories" ignored by past filmmakers and historians, I am finding a lot of the period dramas I've watched lately have anachronistic elements that make it difficult for me to stay immersed in the past.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Lois and her storyline are what bugs me almost as Helen Hunt’s horrendous cosmetic surgery.  Although her character irks as well. But Lois’ whole story seems a bit anachronistic.  Would a single, VERY pregnant young woman been allowed to entertain the troops in the early 40’s?  I don’t think so.  I remember my grandmother (born in 1922) and my mother (1945) telling me that even once a married woman was showing, typically her employment was terminated.  My mom had a friend who was an elementary school teacher in 1971, and she was asked to leave when she was 5 mos pregnant and could hide the “bump”.  I find it hard to believe a 20- something unmarried pregnant girl (with questionable singing talent BTW) would be a welcome sight in front of “impressionable” young men.

I am glad Harry and his Sgt got out of Dunkirk.  I am also glad the factory owner (Hilda’s dad) killed the nosy Nazi.  She would have turned him in and he, his wife and little Hilda would be dead in a week.

This is totally unbelievable.  She would have gone home and HID herself.  No way, would she be allowed to sing in public for the soldiers.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Yes. He’s Randy O’Connor, Webster’s brother. He went to Canada like the Tom Hanks character in Every Time We Say Goodbye to enlist with the RAF as real pilots did before America entered the war as Shanna Marie noted. 

Then why didn't he just say so? Saying that he's Canadian made me think that he's a German spy who didn't do enough research to get the accent right.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I find it hard to believe a 20- something unmarried pregnant girl (with questionable singing talent BTW) would be a welcome sight in front of “impressionable” young men.

From the stuff I've read about the period, the unmarried pregnant woman would have bought herself a cheap wedding band to wear and referred to her "husband" who was away in the military. Later, she would have been a "war widow."

Probably the more anachronistic thing was the RAF officer learning that the pregnant woman was unmarried and talking about how brave she was. But I think he's supposed to be unconventional. I don't know if they'll get to the Battle of Britain this season, but that'll be coming up soon, and that's where he's likely to play a bigger role.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

From the stuff I've read about the period, the unmarried pregnant woman would have bought herself a cheap wedding band to wear and referred to her "husband" who was awa

True, I know I’ve read same similar stories...the “husband” or even “fiancé” died in the war.  But in Lois’ case it seems like she is not hiding her single status.  I think the band members and the band manager/director guy all know she isn’t a widow.  She very easily told several people about her situation.  And everyone has excepted her with very few eyebrows raised in 1940! I mean, come on!  Even Lucille Ball, a highly respected actress in Hollywood, married for years, and on the most popular TV show in the US, had to hide her real life pregnancy from being shown in  the 1950’s because it was too risqué. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

People omit things and tell big and little lies. That’s all I have for why the Randy character did not just say he is American. Yes, Lois hiding herself or a cover story would be what I would have expected to see, save with her father and Connie. Vernon is supposed to be an anarchist so unconventional would suit him. We also know nothing about his background. And, Lois did not just say she was not married, but that the father of her baby was married. That’s the thing, along with giving him the envelope from Harry’s letter, that makes me think she might have a purpose in blasting selected details of her circumstances about... 

I just started watching, and I've read comments up until people started commenting on events I haven't seen yet, so I stopped reading.  All I really want to say is that Lois can't sing!  OMG.  If there's anything I learned from watching American Idol, it's to recognize when someone's pitchy.  And out of tune.  Maybe they're trying to have the actress sing rather than lip sync to someone who actually can sing, thereby saving money by not hiring a decent singer.  But ffs, stop torturing the viewing audience.  There're enough depressing reasons not to watch this show; don't give us one more.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/4/2020 at 6:07 AM, ComeWhatMay said:

I see Kasia as an amalgamation of female resistance fighters. This group made me think of her as well. History.com

Wow! Their awesome! 

Kasia is still my favorite story, while others are being effected so far she's been effected the most among the characters. Her father and one brother is dead, her mother was shot and died in her arms, her city was bombed and she's been seeing people being shot and killed, Germans soldiers beating up people, and she got hit when she tried to help the co-worker. She's not really had the option that the Resslers had by the husband joining in order to protect his daughter, keep his head in the sands like those in Britain, or Helen Hunt somehow not noticing what's going on in Berlin. She's seeing it. She's experienced it. She also had to make the choice early on to leave with Harry and leave her brother and mother behind. Or send her brother along and try to protect her mother. She's doing something, she's fighting. At the moment its only her and the other guy. She did struggle at first setting up the German soldiers despite all that because the first one she was going to had come off nice. But that changed. I do like that they've at least acknowledge she does remember the first one. Even if you believe completely in your cause the first kill would be hard. 

The Rosslers story heat up fast. I get what the dad was trying to do. But we already know its pointless. That part is still hard to understand. We know how pointless that is. How out of touch Robina seems when she says when France falls that they negotiate with Hitler. Both of those are pointless. Despite what Robina and Mr. Rossler is seeing they still aren't understanding. They don't get it. Mr. Rossler's only option then and now was to get his daughter out of Europe. His wife someone seems to understand it more then he does. His killing the employee did surprise me. But I liked that they went there. There was no stopping her. She was telling him to his face that he should turn his daughter over to be killed because she's defected so either she completely believes or was brainwashed to believe it. Either way she was going to tell where they could find his daughter. I did like his surprise, shock and horror at what he did. It made sense and felt right. You don't really know if you have it in you until the moment comes. He's a murderer but the Nazis are the ones that made turn him into one. The same could be said for Kasia. He completely believed in that moment that his daughter was in danger and she still is. He need to get her out of the country. I'm not entire sure why he though Helen Hunt/Nancy Campbell knew what to do with a dead body. What is it Mr. Rossler? That she's from the US? Is she from Jersey (sorry that's a quote from Heartbreakers when Max asks Dean if he knows how to get rid of a body and he answers he's from Jersey). But then she did come up with answer fairly quickly. I almost kind of wish they made Nancy more of badass. A badass journalist who came to Berlin tells it like it is and knows how to get rid of bodies.

I do wish the Dunkirk had been done better. I wanted more focus on that then the men under Harry's command. Yeah, I know shellshock was a thing but I'm not sure if now was the time to show it. Especially since they still had to worry about getting out of Dunkirk. Yea that he understand his father but I still wish they'd focus on Dunkirk. I'm surprised he didn't run into his brother-in-law I really expected that to happen or Tom or both at the same time. That would have been awkward.

I went back and forth on Robina in the episode. I do like her being good to Jan and I kind of like her and Douglas together. But didn't like her sticking her head in the sand. I liked Douglas more in this episode. I'll be surprise if he ends up being my favorite character out of the Bennet family but its not like there's much competition.

I still hate Lois. She doesn't know what she's doing with the baby, she doesn't want to talk about Harry but happy to talk about how her baby's dad is married to someone else. Hey Lois you seem to be forgetting that you knew he was with someone else and decided to still jump him and then dump him. She keeps making dumb decisions without any signs she's thinks she has. Its just hard to have any sympathy for her. Its also distracting that she's getting zero problems or grief for being pregnant unmarried. It was really hard back then. There's no way she'd allowed to keep singing. I really like her friend and wish she'd try to talk some sense into her friend. With everything else I just don't care. She got pregnant because she made a dumb choice and won't take any responsibility her dumb choice. 

With Germany now in France, things should be heating up for the Eddie and his boyfriend, and the Jewish nurse. I know it was getting there but it was a little disjointing to go to them after everything happening in Poland. But at the same time wishing they'd get out of France. 

ETA because it accidently posted before I finished.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2020 at 8:50 PM, sas616 said:

I.  And I think Helen Hunt is just awful in this.

I agree, sas16, about Helen Hunt.

Her character would have been kicked out of Berlin long ago. Or worse. My dad was a young farmer in Poland at this time.  

She seems arrogantly righteous and ignorant of the brutality on the ground.  

Plus, frankly, hard to look at with the bony skeletal face structure. 

I Loved her in Mad About You. However,  I never thought she was that good as the depressed waitress with Jack Nicholson in that film where she won the (nepotism ahem, cough) award. 

The years have not been good to her.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I think Nancy Campbell tried to get some truth out on her broadcasts....but everything was so heavily edited by TPTB it was nearly hopeless.  Of course, they attempted to keep the American reporter in the dark as much as possible....so I was not surprised she did not know about the elimination of the "defective."  She did realize the Nazis faked so much about the cause of the Polish invasion...but no one (including her American bosses) encouraged her to broadcast the truth.  In fact, her boss ordered her to ignore what she knew.  

Yep, I did love that she did not flinch when Mr. Rossler wanted her help in getting rid of the body.  

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 6

I am glad Robina expressed her relief at having her son home safe. Huge character development for the ice queen. 

Ugh, Tom. He’s just gross. If they need to kill somebody off for realism, I vote for him. 

Harry switching to French to correct his mother was a nice touch. She’s been caring for Jan as a admittedly chilly grandmother would and it would not be right to do so overtly in front of him. Demba and Harry think the other is the hero and neither wants to be called one. Love that so much. If you have family or friends in the armed services, it’s so wonderfully familiar. 

Julia’s Lois looked at Jonah’s Harry just briefly after the “charm and good hair” exchange like he was good enough to eat. He just wanted to help her with the baby and she went off on him when he is still looking for enemy combatants getting out of the car. She went to the house with that gift for Jan looking for something from him that was already gone. The startled bystanders when she told him she would tell the child he was dead were very fitting as that’s one of those things you just do not say. Jonah’s Harry took one step after her and did the right thing not to take any more. He is in a no win situation. Demba saw it at the house. Two children are caught in the crossfire here if he makes an issue of things. He has to be the bigger person to recall what Nancy said to him back in Poland. 

I have to remember there were not exes co-parenting and getting on with things in 1940. There still are not now if you have a bitter parent or two in the mix as all too many do. It was all as Lois secretly wants which is the Harry who left for Poland to reappear and marry her, and the heck with Jan and what this would do to him, or a payoff, right, Douglas? The girl in Poland he hopes is dead so his daughter can be lady of his family’s former landlord’s house is his young friend Jan’s sister. I get Douglas prioritizing his daughter and grandchild over someone else’s child, but I still found that entire conversation gross. Jan has been through Hell. 

Harry was beautiful with Jan. He has a child entrusted to him who needs him and has only him and his slow melting mother with his birth family ripped away. Kasia sobbing her heart out in a bunker clutching at Harry’s ring and the photo (the same one her husband had been looking at) and her husband and baby brother sitting there desolate in their coordinating pajamas got me. She needs them and they need her. 

Albert should have done what the Nazi who warned him told him to do and he wanted to do and leave. Webster should have helped him go as he asked. Webster’s false optimism is clearly a family trait. Hi Nancy! Hi Randy! Webster kept Albert there for him because he could not bear to let him go. 

Forged papers?! Harry took care of Jan as Kasia asked him to do at great risk to himself. Major Taylor is a spooky dude. And he knows everything about you, Harry... He and I know a quick death is not what you want. 

Mother and daughter Rossler broke my heart. Nancy was good to remind Herr Rossler he still has his son to think of even though his wife and daughter are gone. Hold tight to what you have left. 

Vernon said all the things Lois wanted to hear from Harry and it was written all over her face. Not sure what I think of Vernon and his exuberance to lock it down with Lois and “her” baby. I get wartime expediting things, but this is an extreme portrayal as Vernon and Lois literally just met and have never even kissed. There’s a child involved. Harry, nor Kasia, knew he (and I really hope it becomes they) would take on Jan. 

In light of the debacle with the perturbed Lois and amused Randy with Vernon’s Austen-style pontificating at him about her being taken advantage of, oh if he only knew, I echo andromeda331 that it’s hard to summon sympathy for someone who you know right there has not leveled with herself or anyone else about how she got to where she is. Lois made her bed and “broke her own heart” as a certain Mrs. Hughes once said of a certain Mary Crawley. And it’s striking to me the absence of malice from Harry from the get go and the abundance of it from her since before conception. It’s ugly. 

• Love 5

During the urinal job interview, the recruiter called himself a "general" when speaking French (unless I misheard) but a "major" otherwise. It's obvious that some of the actors had to learn their lines phonetically when speaking another language than their own, but you would think someone in cast or crew would know enough French to have caught that mistake. Or perhaps they did and thought it was not worth reshooting or looping the scene.

At first I thought it was a deliberate mistake to test Harry's language skills, but neither character picked up on it afterwards.

• Love 2

Goodness, the scene of Hilda & her Mother was shocking!  I was not expecting that, I thought the Nazis were going to pick them up & put them on a train to a concentration camp.   The Father's cries of anguish were heartbreaking.  

• Love 2
(edited)

The German mother was one of my favorite characters in one of the few fully interesting storylines, so it was sad to see her and Hilda killed off.   

Tom was being difficult towards people who were risking their lives to save him.  He couldn't be more irritating.

Lois was still annoying as well.  I felt zero chemistry with the pilot.  I guess this was the episode we found out the American doctor had a brother pilot.  So Eddie is the boyfriend of Lois' friend.  These "connections" are so pointless it's almost like a pointless gimmick at this point.  It was nice to see shell-shocked Geoff again, though.  I guess now I understand why Grzegorz didn't make it on the DVD cover.  There's no room in the narrative for him anymore.

The American doctor being so cavalier about the saxophone player staying in Paris was frustrating.  He could be making it worse by making an appeal at the holding facility.  I guess it's "lucky" he found the only sympathetic probably gay German officer in the vicinity.

So Harry gets to be a spy now?  He's generally a nice guy, but when has he ever done anything intelligent?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
(edited)

Tom (and Lois!) are just so unlikeable.  I'd rather the story focus on their dad and how he is handling everythig.

Webster?  Why didn't he help his boyfriend escape? Why?  I was hoping the boyfriend would flee on his own before the Germans got him.  Maybe Web will marry the nurse to get her out of Europe?

Poor Kasia.  And the German mother and Hildy.  I was so hoping that Nancy was going to be able to get them out somehow......pull some strings , have a high up from American help.  That was so heartbreaking.

I'm bored with Harry.  He's a drip.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 3

Either I fell asleep for a bunch of scenes, or PBS cut stuff, or I just didn’t care enough to pay attention.

What happened to Kasia’s friend? Was he killed or captured? 

Harry just showed up at home?  He went from the beach at Dunkirk to sitting in his mother’s house?  Was he released from his service? Then he’s getting a spy kit...to go to Poland I guess? And are we done with his Sargent’s storyline?

Another plot that continues to stretch credulity is Lois, the plucky pregnant singer.  I get she is in an atmosphere where she is one of the only two attractive females for miles.  Lois is pretty, but she is 11 months pregnant and can’t sing!  I mentioned it after last week’s ep; there is NO WAY that an unmarried girl who’s ready to drop a baby any second would be allowed to “entertain” the troops in 1940.  I doubt she would even be allowed to make donuts or serve coffee from behind a counter if this were a realistic portrayal of women in WWII.  I also think the RAF officer as a potential love interest is weird.  He looks 10+ years older than Lois.  They have no chemistry. 

I hope Tom makes it home for his Dad’s sake, but I don’t need to see his sneering, surly, snotty face again.  

Poor Frau Rossler and Hilda!  I hope Herr Rossler gets out of this alive.  I wonder when Helen Hunt’s character will be told to get out of Germany?  She must see the writing on the wall by now.  If she waits too long, America will declare war, and she will be a POW.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

PBS cut stuff. 

They did indeed, but it does not matter with regard to what you note. Those questions you list were not answered. Lots of fill in the blank for the viewer. 

4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Another plot that continues to stretch credulity is Lois, the plucky pregnant singer.  I get she is in an atmosphere where she is one of the only two attractive females for miles.  Lois is pretty, but she is 11 months pregnant and can’t sing!  I mentioned it after last week’s ep; there is NO WAY that an unmarried girl who’s ready to drop a baby any second would be allowed to “entertain” the troops in 1940.  I doubt she would even be allowed to make donuts or serve coffee from behind a counter if this were a realistic portrayal of women in WWII.  I also think the RAF officer as a potential love interest is weird.  He looks 10+ years older than Lois.  They have no chemistry. 

I think they tried to explain it away (I bet at least one tech adviser on set hollered foul and Brown’s grandmother and Bowker’s I believe were singers during the war—they surely know better) with characters referencing her supposed talent as opposed to other ENSA acts, and as much as I enjoy the show, it does not fly for me either. As for the RAF officer, I am with you on it being weird too with the potential to be a disaster. The Chopin playing squadron leader fixating on an unmarried heavily pregnant woman could have creepy origins in a show all about connections between the characters. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

They did indeed

I hope someone will eventually post a list of all the scenes PBS cut.  In this day and age, I'm surprised someone is wasting their time to do this, not to mention they're damaging the intentions of the filmmaker.  I heard they muted some swearing in the last one, and that is fine, but cutting scenes short or cutting them entirely is more egregious.  Can't they just go a little over-time?  It's not like PBS has to stick to a specific schedule.

I'm not sure what story this show is trying to tell, and that's why it's coming off as an unfocused mess.  The home front stuff is more about relationship angst.  What's the point of Lois working in a factory if we never see it?  Dunkirk happened and we saw some battle scenes, and now it's over, but we don't get to see how returning soldiers are dealing back in England (if they had cut out the Dunkirk episode, I don't think we would have been able to tell based on how Harry was acting).  You'd think Lois's dad would have questioned Harry to ask specifics about what he saw on the beach to glean some clue about what could have happened to his son.  Meanwhile, there are some stand-alone plots in Germany and Poland, which are disconnected from the rest of the show.  And now, they've added German-occupied Paris.  The connections are as shallow as there's a character who's a relative of some other characters.  They can tick off the espionage checkbox next.

• Love 4
On 5/11/2020 at 1:46 AM, Camera One said:

So Harry gets to be a spy now?  He's generally a nice guy, but when has he ever done anything intelligent?  

He speaks multiple languages so he would be useful for that. Being a behind the lines operative was no sinecure; if you survived the parachute jump the average life expectancy for a Special Operative Executive radio operator was six weeks.

I am loving the snark, Harry's mother telling him that he doesn't need to bring her home souvenir's, and the Resistance woman telling Tom that she was expecting a man too. I also like Sean Bean showing Douglas' vulnerability and strength.

But balancing that is the ridiculousness of Lois being irresistible especially at 12 months pregnant. Poor Arthur Darville, what a come-down from Rory and Rip Hunter.

On 5/13/2020 at 8:27 AM, BusyOctober said:

I wonder when Helen Hunt’s character will be told to get out of Germany?  She must see the writing on the wall by now.  If she waits too long, America will declare war, and she will be a POW.

Dunkirk was May 26 - June 4 1940.  America didn't enter the war till they themselves were attacked December 1942. She's got plenty of time.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Dunkirk was May 26 - June 4 1940.  America didn't enter the war till they themselves were attacked December 1942. She's got plenty of time.

It was December 7, 1941. Congress declared war the next day, and against Germany the day after that.

• Love 2

I still hate Lois. Its all Harry's fault? Ah no most of it is Lois's fault but she blames him for everything. I kept hoping Harry or someone would call her on her crap. But of course no one does. She's going to tell the baby his/her dad is dead. Aces Lois. Just keep being a crappy person. I really hate every time she's on screen. I hope she gets killed off.

Take her brother Tom with her. But he's an idiot and a jerk but he gets to safety. Of course he does while poor Albert who was smart enough to take the warning seriously ends up in internment because he listened to the equally stupid boyfriend. What Webster made Albert safe? Nothing. He should have been trying to him out of there. How can he be that stupid? I hope him visiting Albert didn't put him more at risk.

I mostly like Douglas. I like his friendship with Jan and don't mind him wanting money or something from Harry. I do get why he's shipping Lois and Harry because it'll be easier life for Lois and his grandchild and he probably still believes Lois loves him. But it is cold considering he's still married to Kasia who is still alive and had so much crap happen to her. Plus there's Jan.

I love the nurse. Taking the Nazi and showing him the bad corpse. She's just really smart and cool. 

I love Harry and Jan. The hug was really nice. I loved Robina comment about being home souvenirs. Speaking French so Jan wouldn't over hear.

So Harry's going to be a spy now? Okay. But I'm excited that he and Kasia will probably meet up again. 

Poor Claudia, Hilda and Mr. Rossler. He really should have thought of a story although that might not have worked still. That was brutal to watch. Poor Claudia during interrogation. The "evidence" from the neighbor and a remark she made at the grocery store. When Mr. Rossler was released I was really expecting him to find out Claudia and Hilda had both been arrested not that Claudia took the other way out. Damn. That was a hard scene to watch Mr. Rossler. I did love him starting for the neighbor and Nancy stopping him reminding him of his son. I assume that's the nice German soldier? I wonder when he's going to find out what happened to his mother and sister.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

It was December 7, 1941. Congress declared war the next day, and against Germany the day after that.

FDR gave an absolute stem-winder of a speech to a joint session of Congress on December 8, declaring that the state of war with (only) Japan had existed since the attack began (Congress agreed that afternoon).

The Nazi alliance with Japan meant they would automatically be at war if Japan were attacked; what to do if Japan attacked first was not covered, and Hitler was not obligated by treaty to declare war on the U.S.

His own nature did obligate him:  he thought the U.S. was corrupt, weak militarily, and trying to provoke him anyway, so on December 11, against the limited advice he allowed to be given to him, he declared war on the U.S.  That is what brought us in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

FDR gave an absolute stem-winder of a speech to a joint session of Congress on December 8, declaring that the state of war with (only) Japan had existed since the attack began (Congress agreed that afternoon).

The Nazi alliance with Japan meant they would automatically be at war if Japan were attacked; what to do if Japan attacked first was not covered, and Hitler was not obligated by treaty to declare war on the U.S.

His own nature did obligate him:  he thought the U.S. was corrupt, weak militarily, and trying to provoke him anyway, so on December 11, against the limited advice he allowed to be given to him, he declared war on the U.S.  That is what brought us in.

Yeah, FDR really, really wanted to declare war on Germany but had no reason to. He had hoped when he heard there was an attack that it was Germany, and hoped to find some way they were connected to it. But there was none. He couldn't simply declare war on Germany. While technically he had the power to do so Congress and the American people never would have allowed that. That's the part I don't think comes up as much when its talked about FDR really, really did want to join the war but the country didn't. And so he really had no choice but stay out. He tried to convince both but no one was interested. If he did it. They'd just vote him out of office and replace him with someone who'd stay out of it or Congress would block it. His hands really were tied. He helped in the only ways he could. By sending supplies via the Lend-Lease to give the UK stuff that they'd pay us for later. Sending troops to relieve UK soldiers so they could go fight. And keep hoping a reason to join would come up. Not even in the new war fury. It was all against Japan since they attacked us. He declared war on Japan. Hitler yes had no reason to declare war on the US even their treaty didn't obligate him too. He wanted too because he was a complete idiot (sure declare war on a second country way much bigger then yours with so many more resources to call on then you. That should go well) and thought along with Japan that the US was weak corrupt, stupid, etc. Except for Yamamoto who knew it was stupid idea because he'd been to the US and knew the people and the Emperor who thought it was a bad idea but no one listened to them. Him declaring war on US was practically a gift to FDR since it gave him exactly what he wanted. He had the reason he needed to declare war on Germany. 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:37 AM, andromeda331 said:

Take her brother Tom with her. But he's an idiot and a jerk but he gets to safety. Of course he does while poor Albert who was smart enough to take the warning seriously ends up in internment because he listened to the equally stupid boyfriend. What Webster made Albert safe?

Tom's first reaction when waking up hurt in a hospital is to hurl collective and individual insults at the people treating him. And he thinks so highly of himself that he believes the girl guiding him to safety is hankering for a roll in the hay with him. He is as annoying as his blubbering father ("My boy is missing! My boy is missing!!")

Webster and his aunt are probably written as blinded by a false sense of security that their nationality will protect them and those close to them. Events are starting to disillusion them fast. Let us hope it is not too late for Albert and also that Webster does not do the "noble" thing by marrying the nurse to save her.

Was it explained how Webster's brother is Canadian? I know that some US men went up to Canada to enroll under a flag of convenience before their country officially entered the war, so that may be the case with him.

I had a rewatch during the afternoon rebroadcast and I can confirm the error in the major's French dialogue at the urinal which I reported upthread. What I did not catch the first time is that Harry's reply in French was gibberish. Another failure by the dialogue supervisor. Which is strange because the French in the scene at the manor with the Senegalese soldier was very good. I suppose having a guest actor who really knows French helped and the actress also seemed more at ease with the language than the one playing her son.

• Love 4
On 5/16/2020 at 6:33 AM, Florinaldo said:

Tom's first reaction when waking up hurt in a hospital is to hurl collective and individual insults at the people treating him. And he thinks so highly of himself that he believes the girl guiding him to safety is hankering for a roll in the hay with him. He is as annoying as his blubbering father ("My boy is missing! My boy is missing!!")

Yeah, when the Nazi soldier was asking about the wounded looking to take I was yelling at the screen to give him Tom and save someone else. He's that annoying. Who wakes up in a hospital and bitches to the people who saved his life? But oh no he gets saved.

Webster and his aunt are probably written as blinded by a false sense of security that their nationality will protect them and those close to them. Events are starting to disillusion them fast. Let us hope it is not too late for Albert and also that Webster does not do the "noble" thing by marrying the nurse to save her.

Is that why their being written? I'm not sure how they don't see what's going on and remains naïve. Also, was that really a thing? Nazis not targeting Americans? They don't seem like they'd be worried or care about that. If so its interesting because killing Americans wouldn't have brought the US into the war any sooner. The country had become so isolated that nothing short of bombing us would have worked. 

I would like the series 2 DVD now please. Based on the Salon interview with Jonah that debuted before the finale aired on the US East Coast, they have a lot to do when they can get going again and I hope the commitment to see at least series 2 made remains. That cliffhanger is brutal. Also, I never saw a triangle, etc... Actors in interviews... I am reminded why I stick to the show normally... And it seems I saw things differently than a lot of the Twitter crowd, so here goes... 

I can see why Webster has not been told Nancy is his birth mother. The story of his beginning is as ugly as it gets, rape, and “Auntie Nancy” loves him. Love for a child manifests in a multitude of ways, including keeping your mouth shut. Not helping Albert escape when he could have will haunt Webster. 

Why do I feel like we will see at least the Rosslers son Klaus again at some point? 

Going into labor on stage in 1940. As if...

Harry and Kasia are beautiful together. Get up that hill and get your man, woman. We have seen how quick Harry is on the trigger and how great a shot he is. He did not want to kill in front of Kasia, but he will kill every last one of the remaining Nazi soldiers to bring her to freedom even if it means she cannot accept who he is now. Sacrificing herself will not work this time. Harry will be captured, tortured and killed rather than leave without her and face Jan. He loves her just as much. Paging their fairy godmother, badass Nancy with a coach! Or some backup!

Some first kiss... We’ll see if Vernon is genuine, survives and if Lois grows to know and really love him. With Harry at the center of her no then yes, if it all comes up roses for her in the narrative I will be surprised. Handing Harry’s loved daughter to a man she does not know to give his name and raise is the ultimate low blow. If you have a choice, you do not take a chance with a child’s life. Her father is stepping up given his failings with his gruesome twosome and the envelope from Robina (and Harry) was packed so this rash action that we could see negatively impact her newborn daughter—they need to wait six weeks for a wedding night—is not necessary. With Lois’ repugnant brother presumably on the way home, I hope that cash from Harry and his mother is in the bank—save the carriage money. 

Goodbye. Robina can’t be friends with Douglas and enjoy some kind of backdoor access to her granddaughter when he told her sobbing, heartbroken son he must miss out on knowing and being loved by her—and we know Douglas also badmouthed Harry to Jan. I know people who had to give up children, there is no greater pain to tell one to carry. Douglas seemed to grasp on to that by the time he relayed Harry’s visit to the unrepentant Lois. Beyond what he would do in death with the will, Harry showed his love for his daughter by not telling Lois’ father how low Lois went. Yes, Lois didn’t know Harry put a ring on it, but she knew he did all the rest, was a wreck and not thinking straight when she jumped him. She debased herself and the knowledge of the circumstances of her conception would one day bring her daughter pain. Harry learned what not to do from his mother’s behavior about his father. He realized without being told he could not barge in there on a woman who just gave birth even to see his baby, apologized, again, as where he put himself that night was on him, let Douglas do his bit of tongue lashing as Lois’ dad, as two children allow him to visualize being in those shoes, and drove away. 

The ice queen melted. Then went in for the take down. Lesley’s Robina sorted Lois’ score to settle after her emotional observance of Harry’s gorgeous bilingual goodbye with Jan. Julia’s Lois had her foot in the stirrup of the high horse the entire time but could not mount, because Robina spoke in very careful subtext and appealed to petulant Lois’ “conscience” with regard to Jan who “worships Harry” and “common sense” with regard to taking the money. “Do you want to hold her?” Loved Robina’s “what for” and Lois’ “doesn’t matter.” Lois is not going to cede any ground. “Why wouldn’t I visit?” She wants to start s*** and her face when she realized Harry loves Jan. He loves both his children. Keep Harry’s secret?! She told Harry in steadily crueler ways to stay away? That she would tell the baby he was dead. What did she plan to do? Visit the house with the little girl and dangle her in front of Harry and Jan? Just a bit sadistic... 

We might get to see Jan, hopefully equipped with perspective and appreciation for both sides of the platform exchange and what it did to Harry who imagined horrible things happening to his wife, married his sister not him and could have ditched him rather than forge papers, connect the dots of what he has seen as children do, but he would not benefit from this information pointed out to him now. It would understandably crush him—as it would Kasia, who could also piece things together over time and have at Harry over it. And, someday, maybe, per real-life reunions I was privy to, Harry would have a chance to have a seat at that table with his daughter and talk it out as Harry did with Robina, but we probably won’t see it, and if it does happen in a flash forward, Lois should not be there. They really could let it lie given the time period with Vernon swooping in. With my own family history, I know how Harry could be shown to look in on and open doors for his daughter from afar. Like “Auntie Nancy” still does for Webster. 

I hated that Robina, even through tears and mostly without eye contact, said Harry was not cut out for fatherhood and Lois made the right decision, but that decision was not about her daughter, we have seen and Robina had just shown herself how she knows it isn’t true at all (“he’s remarkable to have survived my mothering”—true and makes her not one to evaluate his or anyone’s parenting ability), and we saw Lois’ face betray her again and her reminded that this is how she wanted it, or said she did, that is. I think Lois was surprised Harry told his mother that because she did not know how much that relationship has evolved. She probably also wonders what else Harry told his mother. I get the sense from their goodbye and Robina’s exchange with Douglas upon Grzegorz’s return that Harry told his mother more than we saw him tell her and she sees him in a new way now, and well, good. Even a little more of what went down for Jan’s sake should he not make it home would infuriate Robina and explains her very careful interaction with Lois, who has taken something precious from them both. His baby daughter is truly the only Bennett Harry owes anything to at this point. 

Harry did love Lois and she knows it... Connie and I had the same WTF face there. Lois does not half rewrite things in her mind to absolve herself. Maybe Connie starts calling her on her BS next series? 

Regarding Grzegorz, I know he is struggling and feels as the surviving man in the Tomaszeski family he should take over from his brother-in-law, but he is putting words in Jan’s mouth with similarly frustrated Douglas. Jan, a little Stefan clearly, wants Grzegorz to go back and fight, not take care of him. Jan has a home with Robina and when he is home from the front, Harry, whom he loves very much. Get Kasia home to him and it will go miles toward healing as he must feel so guilty for taking her spot out on the train with Harry. He was unfazed by the kissing on the platform his sister and brother-in-law did and he saw what they have between them. It’s why he was horrified by Lois’ way with Harry that fateful night...

On to my wish list for the start of series 2, whenever we get it... Here’s to a happy outcome on the hill and happy arrival in the front drive replete with a reunion of the Tomaszeski kids and Kasia meeting Robina. And if Kasia is pregnant before they hit England I will not be surprised. When Harry sees his ring around her neck it’s on, just like the war making it wise to make the most of their time together before he is back in the thick of it. I really do not think he gets her back by chance on this operation, you know. “Get your affairs in order” Major Taylor, call him the “finder of lost loves.” 

Stay safe, everyone. 

• Love 2

By all that is holy, if they kill Kasia (and Tom lives) then I'll... well... I'll write a very strongly worded letter to the show runners!

I really don't care if she ends up with feckless Harry, I just want her to be safe and get back to her brothers.

• Love 7
On 4/28/2020 at 6:56 PM, ComeWhatMay said:

I had a miniature schnauzer growing up. I love your screen name and profile picture. I am so glad we get another series of this show. 

That’s my current schnauzer when she was a year old. She just turned three. And her beard has a lot more silver.

• Love 3

I predict that eventually Kasia dies, Harry returns, Lois' pilot husband dies, and Harry & Lois wind up together.   Not necessarily in that order.   This might happen over the next few seasons.   The War was 4 yrs, so maybe there will be 3 more seasons.   See you next year, God willing!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

That’s my current schnauzer when she was a year old. She just turned three. And her beard has a lot more silver.

She’s a cutie. Mine was salt and pepper from day one. 

Bowker wants six series to cover the full length of the war for the U.K., and its anyone’s guess what he will decide to do, save the outcome of the war, of course. It’s his baby. I respect that even if he made me want to throw something with that cliffhanger. I will say as a writer and editor, admittedly not for entertainment, one should not try to fix issues with characters you created in your narrative through interviews or by erasing them in your story. Whatever you do must account for all that came before. Mileage varies as we used to say on TWoP, but I think he has something special with the two actors who play Harry and Kasia and I hope he makes the most of it. 

• Love 1

This show is very frustrating because parts of it are great, and other parts are just so poorly written/ developed, over-the-top, or just plain soapy.

I knew poor Tomasz was a goner as soon as Kasia squeezed his hand. I didn't see the Nancy-is-Webster's-mom twist coming, though.

At least we didn't get any Tom in this episode (is it just me, or does he just have the most punchable face since Joffrey on Game of Thrones?), though I do wonder whether his being declared dead by Webster should have resulted in a death notification to his family? Kind of surprised they didn't go there. But yeah, I definitely could do without any more Tom, ever. The writers can clearly write unlikable-yet-sympathetic characters (see Robina), so why does Tom have to be 100% obnoxious all the time with no redeeming qualities? I don't even care if he gets his redemption arc eventually (as I suspect he will)-- there's no reason for anyone to be that unlikable!

Just like there's no reason to make the "love triangle" so needlessly dramatic. It would have worked so much better if Lois and Harry had done the deed when they were still bf/gf. Lois then ends things with Harry before he leaves (which is what did happen, iirc, minus the sex). Lois eventually realizes she's pregnant but decides to wait to tell Harry until he returns, by which point he's already met/ married Kasia. Same end result, but with the added benefit of Harry not cheating on Kasia and Lois not orchestrating the awful revenge sex. Obviously the timeline would have to change a bit, but it would make more sense in the long run for Lois to be singing after she had the baby (which she could maybe hire a neighbor to watch for her, or even give to the mentioned distant relatives... who could conveniently die later when/if she needs the baby back for plot purposes) rather than while heavily pregnant. Would make more sense for Vernon to be instantly besotted with her when she's not eleventy months pregnant, too. He can still prove what a stand up guy he is when she inevitably tells him about the baby and he still wants to raise it as his own.

Vernon is definitely cannon fodder, and I can see them killing off Kasia, too, though I really hope they don't. I could also see them killing Harry instead, and having Kasia/Lois become close afterwards (I could do without that). Or showing the separate plights of Harry's two ladies (both with possibly a child). I think Lois is the least likely to die of the three (not that I think she should, either, though her character is by far my least favorite of the triangle).

Webster and Albert continue to be the least developed main characters... come on, show, you made Harry's sergeant a fully realized and enjoyable character in just a few episodes (any chance he'll pop up again next season? pretty please?), but you can't do more with these guys in seven episodes? 

But the two scenes between Harry and Robina were pure gold (actually pretty much any Harry or Robina scene not involving Lois was excellent), as was Jan's reunion with Gregorz. I'll definitely be sticking around for them! (Though I do wonder how much the little kid playing Jan will have grown by the time they get around to filming the second series...)

3 hours ago, Doublemint said:

The War was 4 yrs, so maybe there will be 3 more seasons. 

World War II lasted six years, and we're currently still in 1940, so five more years to go.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

This show is very frustrating because parts of it are great, and other parts are just so poorly written/ developed, over-the-top, or just plain soapy.

I knew poor Tomasz was a goner as soon as Kasia squeezed his hand. I didn't see the Nancy-is-Webster's-mom twist coming, though.

At least we didn't get any Tom in this episode (is it just me, or does he just have the most punchable face since Joffrey on Game of Thrones?), though I do wonder whether his being declared dead by Webster should have resulted in a death notification to his family? Kind of surprised they didn't go there. But yeah, I definitely could do without any more Tom, ever. The writers can clearly write unlikable-yet-sympathetic characters (see Robina), so why does Tom have to be 100% obnoxious all the time with no redeeming qualities? I don't even care if he gets his redemption arc eventually (as I suspect he will)-- there's no reason for anyone to be that unlikable!

Just like there's no reason to make the "love triangle" so needlessly dramatic. It would have worked so much better if Lois and Harry had done the deed when they were still bf/gf. Lois then ends things with Harry before he leaves (which is what did happen, iirc, minus the sex). Lois eventually realizes she's pregnant but decides to wait to tell Harry until he returns, by which point he's already met/ married Kasia. Same end result, but with the added benefit of Harry not cheating on Kasia and Lois not orchestrating the awful revenge sex. Obviously the timeline would have to change a bit, but it would make more sense in the long run for Lois to be singing after she had the baby (which she could maybe hire a neighbor to watch for her, or even give to the mentioned distant relatives... who could conveniently die later when/if she needs the baby back for plot purposes) rather than while heavily pregnant. Would make more sense for Vernon to be instantly besotted with her when she's not eleventy months pregnant, too. He can still prove what a stand up guy he is when she inevitably tells him about the baby and he still wants to raise it as his own.

Vernon is definitely cannon fodder, and I can see them killing off Kasia, too, though I really hope they don't. I could also see them killing Harry instead, and having Kasia/Lois become close afterwards (I could do without that). Or showing the separate plights of Harry's two ladies (both with possibly a child). I think Lois is the least likely to die of the three (not that I think she should, either, though her character is by far my least favorite of the triangle).

Webster and Albert continue to be the least developed main characters... come on, show, you made Harry's sergeant a fully realized and enjoyable character in just a few episodes (any chance he'll pop up again next season? pretty please?), but you can't do more with these guys in seven episodes? 

But the two scenes between Harry and Robina were pure gold (actually pretty much any Harry or Robina scene not involving Lois was excellent), as was Jan's reunion with Gregorz. I'll definitely be sticking around for them! (Though I do wonder how much the little kid playing Jan will have grown by the time they get around to filming the second series...)

World War II lasted six years, and we're currently still in 1940, so five more years to go.

Yes, the US War was 4 yrs - sorry!

(edited)

As usual, there were a handful of good scenes, with a lot of mediocre scenes I couldn't care less about, especially anything related to the baby.

The most interesting scene was Lois' father visiting the psychiatric hospital again and Jan seeing his brother again.  Grzegorz having shell shock was moving, and it would be nice to see Douglas helping him.  I can see Tom barging in and telling Jan that his older brother was trying to cut in line at Dunkirk, though.

There was a well-done scene with Harry and his mother too, but I was just so bored with this whole trite done-a-million-times soapy story.  Harry still never explained why he married Kasia.  Lois would still be hurt, but you'd think she wouldn't be as rude and unfeeling about the whole situation.  

Lois agreeing to marry the pilot because he didn't die is just stupid.  

It was nice we finally get to have some time in Poland.  I'm not big on any of the relationships since I wasn't really looking for ships on a historical drama, but the reunion with Harry and Kasia was well done.  

Webster being Helen Hunt's son was an interesting reveal.  Webster crying in the scene with Albert would have really stood out, and I hope that didn't put an even bigger target on Albert's back.  It's a bit ridiculous that Helen Hunt's handler would be interested in having sex with her.  I know he has round glasses and is supposed to look unattractive, but he's 20 years younger than her.  

This show is very mediocre, but I do hope for more seasons.  We should be able to see how the bombings and air raids will mean that England is no longer safe.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

I liked that we learned more about Nancy...and that she really is a strong woman.  Having a child as a result of rape, especially at that time, had to be an incredibly difficult experience.  At least she has seen her son grow up and have an important career.  (However, I think he is an idiot in some ways...like not grasping how frightening it was for a black man...and all of the jews in the encampment with him.)

I have absolutely no sympathy for Lois.  She has created all of her own problems...yet expects everyone to hate Harry as the villain who abandoned a pregnant woman, etc.  

Douglas has two truly dislikeable children.  I admire him for handling all that he has been through, and remaining able to open his heart to others.  He and Jan make a fine team.

• Love 6

I feel like I'm being redundant saying I hate Lois. I do. She's horrible. She still hasn't accepted any responsibility on her part, she blames everything on Harry, lets her father think that Harry hasn't offered any help or made arrangements if he should die. She's turned down any help, bitched his mother that she didn't want any, and still plans to tell the baby her father's dead. But gets mad at Robina for asking her not to tell Jan.. Hey, Lois your the one who already made the choice to cut Harry out of his child's life. I hope they kill her off. There's just nothing likeable about her at all. So now she's going to marry Vernon someone she doesn't love because he didn't die. Vernon's an idiot but also deserves better. 

I still love Douglas's friendship with Jan and taking him to see his brother. I hate his treatment of Harry and making remarks to Jan. I know he doesn't know everything but its still crappy to do. It really should be hard to him to figure out that Lois is cutting him out since she's made that very clear. Especially to Jan who's life Harry saved and he knows how much Jan loves him. I liked seen Douglas at the hospital with the patient, doctor and Gregorz. I loved Jan and Gregorz reuniting that was such a great moment. 

I didn't see Nancy's rape story coming. They did a good job with that scene. Webster's still an idiot for still not understanding what's going with Albert. I really don't understand why he's doesn't get it. Jews, blacks, and Gays have been rounded up and put in the internment camp. How can he be that stupid? It really makes no sense. He grew up in America with segregation and the horrifying treatment of blacks. They can't have him act like he doesn't know. I really hope Nancy's help doesn't put Albert in more danger but given the weasel quickly turned to wanting sex for his help. I doubt it. If he's that terrible he's probably spiteful enough to have Albert killed or the first on the train to a concentration camp.

Harry and Kasia reunited! That was another really great scene. They have such great chemistry. I liked her telling Harry about what she'd done and how that's changed her. And her telling him that she choice do that. Wow, Kasia's taking responsibility for choosing to kill despite the fact you can still argue everything that happened made that happen. She had to choose between saving herself and saving her brother. Everything she saw including the murderer of her mother. We saw the Rosslers try to keep their heads down and not doing anything and look where that gone one. Kasia probably wouldn't have killed anyone if the war hadn't happened just as Mr. Rossler never would have killed someone else. But compare her to Lois who won't taken any responsibility and Lois looks even worse. I like when they go back to Poland where crap is still happening. Harry shooting the two officers. Him not wanting to kill in front of Kasia and his reaction when she killed. I really want to watch them joining the Polish underground and shooting Nazis together.

They better not kill off Kasia! She's so awesome. 

When the series started I never would have thought I ended up liking Robina at all. But she's great. I love all her scenes with Harry, Douglas and Jan. Especially in the scene when they talked about Harry's father and how she couldn't forgive him. It was so well done. 

Watching Jan and Gregorz reunited. I want so much for them to make it through the war along with Kasia. All three have been through so much. But it also highlighted how terrible they've made Lois and Tom Bennet. They really didn't have too. The war at least should have knocked most of the crap out of Tom. But nope. Their both really terrible, really useless and pointless. There's nothing likable about either one and I actively hope for both to be killed off. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doyouevengohere said:

I sorta think lois wanted to get pregnant.  She wanted to hurt harry and maybe have something to hold over his mom. So yeah I have no sympathy for her either.  

I wouldn't be surprised if she did. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she did. 

My late Grandmother, born in the early 1900s, would say, “there is a little truth in every bit of humor.” Remember Lois’ remark to Douglas the day after the baby was born and he wanted to do an extreme makeover of the sleeping arrangements Lois and Tom always had? “That was the plan all along.” The writer may have been going for hurt and angry, but I have seen exes weaponize children, and let’s just say I saw a lot of familiar tells with the Lois character. Robina might have clocked what was going on too, especially given her personality. Appealing to someone’s “conscience” and “common sense” with children in need involved really should not be necessary. 

• Love 2