Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Chillaxing

I really think that each season builds up so awesomely that when it inevitably resets we're all a little lost and reluctant to dive back into the show wholeheartedly. That's been my experience at least. I skipped two episodes after the premiere because I wasn't "feeling" it. Glad I came to my senses. I really love this show.

Some interesting theories here. I don't think it's weird that Chidi is more relaxed than he was in season one. He still experienced everything that happened in the last three seasons, he just doesn't remember it. If Eleanor lost her memory tomorrow she wouldn't revert back to season one Eleanor, that's kind of the point. 

I think Janet was upset that she had to break up with Jason and was trying to resolve it through Tahani. 

Good on Tahani for showing so much growth and insight into her own psyche. I'm excited to see her befriend John. I never felt like she ever had her own person so to speak.

Eleanor broke my heart when she started crying. It can't be easy seeing Chidi be with someone else and also be really at ease and happy about it knowing that you facilitated it.

• Love 8
On 10/10/2019 at 7:01 PM, Yokosmom said:

Yes, I saw his photo moved to the other side of the board, so I thought that I missed his breakthrough.  Nice to see Tahani’s person responded better and that she herself learned something.

I didn't think the board was about the participants making progress. I thought it was about team cockroach deciding they knew what their strategy would be to get each participant on the path that would lead to them making progress. It's a "we think we've figured out the trick to so-and-so" board not a "so-and-so is improving" board.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I really think that each season builds up so awesomely that when it inevitably resets we're all a little lost and reluctant to dive back into the show wholeheartedly. That's been my experience at least. I skipped two episodes after the premiere because I wasn't "feeling" it. Glad I came to my senses. I really love this show.

I think this is the one show where I have complete faith in the producers and the writing staff to not steer us wrong. I remember in season two everyone was worried going into the pilot that the second season would be about the second reset. Then after the first episode, we were worried that each episode of the second season would be one reboot. Then the very next episode proved everyone wrong where they went through 800+ reboots in ten minutes in a sequence that is still one of my favorites. "Oh, THIS is the bad place." I've stopped guessing. I just sit back and enjoy my half hour with complete trust that they will create something wonderful.

• Love 14
On 10/13/2019 at 9:46 AM, Loandbehold said:

Shirt, by snapping his fingers he could erase their memories and reset the entire neighborhood.

You know, after taking my son to see the movie this past weekend, it did hit me that the cockroaches are lucky no one got Michael singing the Addams Family theme song or there would have been several extra reboots...

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, questionfear said:

You know, after taking my son to see the movie this past weekend, it did hit me that the cockroaches are lucky no one got Michael singing the Addams Family theme song or there would have been several extra reboots...

And now I'm thinking we need one of those "You Know You've Been Watching Too Much Of" threads.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:57 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really want to know what Game of Thrones characters are based on Tahani. Possibly Margaery (rich elegant socialite who uses charity for good PR) or Theon (ignored and resentful rich kid overshadowed by an older sister) or Brienne (tall) or...no idea but this all all I am going to be thinking about this weekend. 

Maybe Sansa, believing she is destined to be the queen, top ruler, but benevolent, initially told she's just being a silly girl.

• Love 1

I'm surprised we just jumped into study group. I don't really feel like John and Brent would have joined up with Chidi and Simone. What would have motivated that?

I did think spa day was a decent use of Tahani and kept John to throwaway jokes. Again, not seeing the depth in John and Brent so far. The less screen time for those two, the better.

Yeah, okay it makes much more sense to introduce Jason to Chidi to give him anxiety and motivate him to help the others. 

The people I know who follow celebrity gossip are actually quite friendly and empathetic. They wouldn't have reacted like John even when Tahani first confronted him. They would care that they had hurt people who didn't deserve it. I'm not sure I bought him coming around but I'm willing to go with it because I can only deal with one Brent.

Blowing some of the special effects budget on the helpful picnic ants? Worth it.

Ahh! Cliffhanger!

I'm just starting to catch up on this season. I still think last season's Earth bound episodes were mediocre, and I have a feeling I'm going to look at this season's initial episodes the same way. But hopefully, this season will pick up just like last season did.

I loved the Tahani/John storyline. I would have liked them to dig into the class issues a bit more, but overall, it was nicely done. If John wasn't so strongly coded as gay, I would actually be shipping them. There was some nice sparking when they connected as genuine friends.

Chidi/Jason was funny, but the lack of Simone was glaring. I assume the actress had some kind of conflict or contractual limitation, but it made Chidi's character development not follow naturally from last week. Chidi's struggles should have affected his friendship/soulmate bonding with Simone, and I want to know how this version of Simone would react to the stomach ache version of Chidi.

I also wish Jason and Eleanor had a scene bonding about their shared  heartbreak.