Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Preemie Monologues

Pallas
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, cmahorror said:

Man, this episode hit me in several different ways. First off, as a widow I get Dan's reluctance to move on and start dating again. Louise is very understanding but it helps that she went to high school with them and saw their love story from the beginning and so she can be patient and wait for him to be ready for her and this next stage of his life.

It definitely helps that Louise went to high school with them both that's one of the many things I love about her and I agree with you she said she'd be patient and that's so great so I can't wait to watch their relationship unfold. If it were anyone else I don't think they'd wait for Dan I think they'd be gone, but I love that connection that Louise has with Dan/Roseanne.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Being hesitant and not going in fully is one thing, and this ain't it.  Darlene is sneaking around with two guys, screwing them, and telling Jackie she needs to decide who she wants to spend the rest of her life with {face palm}.  If Darlene had told Ben, she still had feelings for David and needed to figure things out.  Then had perhaps talked things over with David, discussed where they went wrong, gotten therapy, something.  Then I would call that trying to figure things out.  Lying and cheating is not helping nor is it going to resolve this situation.

Oh I agree with this.   But I honesty don’t think the message here is Darlene just wants her jollies.  They are trying to do a several episode (or entire season) arc, so I am hoping for more of an explanation soon.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

But trusting him as a romantic partner and as a father, and wanting to be with him in that way again?  The writers rushed that in a way that makes no sense.

True, it isn't logical. But then, that's what Roseanne (the show) always excelled at - showing regular people in all their flawed, illogical glory. Reasonably smart people do dumb, even self-destructive things all the time. Sometimes they learn from it, sometimes they don't. 

I really enjoyed this episode, and loved how imperfect everyone was, as they bumbled along, just trying to make things work. 

(Jackie was hilarious. I've known so many Jackies who no one had the nerve to tell to their face to PLEASE STOP VISITING them in hospital, because they were so bossy and overbearing. And completely lacking in self awareness.) 

• Love 15
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Do NICUs keep big fuzzy blankets for parents who are sitting with their babies? Because I feel like that sorta defeats the purpose of wearing the gown and gloves and all, especially if she brought the blanket herself...

Nothing about the NICU scenes in this show is realistic. NOTHING. They're not even trying to get it right. It's a lot easier to suspend disbelief when the show at least makes an effort.

• Love 8
On 10/8/2019 at 11:52 PM, bybrandy said:

For once I didn't mind Harris's anger.  I like that she found out about David, because there is no way Becky could hide having a boy over kids know EVERYTHING and that house is way too small to hide things.     And Harris has every right to be angry that this is being kept from her and that she's expected to be in the middle and that this somehow going to blow up in everybody's face and she'll face the consequences as well.   

On 10/9/2019 at 10:08 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t think Harris was being that much of a brat.  I think she is an angry confused teenager who just got her father back and now her mother is jumping between him and another guy.  It must be confusing for her.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, Melgaypet said:

That aside, I do get her anger at Darlene here. I think it would have had a lot more impact if she wasn't always a disrespectful shit. It would also have more impact if David and Harris ever had scenes together - still, it's not hard to figure that she's afraid he'll disappear again when/if this blows up. She might not even be wrong about that.

I am completely on Harris' side in this and think that Darlene is lucky that she wasn't outed in front of Dan, who wouldn't take the situation calmly at all. Now Darlene is asking her troubled teenage daughter to lie to her father by omission while she takes her time figuring out what she really wants? And sure, Harris could buy toilet paper if Darlene 's car was available,  but apparently Darlene spends all night at Ben's after work and uses that as an excuse for not shopping for family necessities, instead of coming home from work and asking Harris to run some errands. Is it now Dan's job to raise her kids?  At least wait to stay over with your 1st lover until your 2nd lover has the kids.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:09 PM, qtpye said:

The thing that pissed me off was that it was because of her hard work at being a good waitress that screwed her. Her tips are what set her over the allowable limit.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

Not only is she being punished for being a hard worker, she's being punished for being honest. She reported her tips, a lot of people don't.

Are we to believe that Becky is accurately reporting her tips? Does she have to show them all to her boss who somehow reports them?  If they are estimated based on average tipping in her industry, I would expect Becky to simply say that she earns much less than average because she is bad at her job.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, iMonrey said:

Also? That basement got flooded 2 seasons back (in the reboot's first season when it was still Roseanne). And I can't imagine it has real great ventilation. They should have moved Mark and Harris down into the basement and given Becky her old bedroom back.

Mark and Harris' lives have been disrupted enough. If it weren't for the fact that the basement is bigger than the room Darlene is staying in, I'd say make Darlene move down there and let Becky and the baby have a room with a window, as well as a bathroom on the same floor. Now Becky is going to have to go up 2 flights to use a bathroom once Dan is in bed, unless she wants to walk through his bedroom to get to one. And David wouldn't be able to climb through Darlene's bedroom window anymore for secret rendezvous. Win-win!

On 10/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Snow Apple said:

I want more stories about DJ too. How did he get together with Geena? How's his mental health been after the military? How's he doing with his wife away? They just dropped the ball with his character.

The actress who plays Geena is now on The Unicorn on a different network, so that probably makes DJ's storyline more difficult.  At least we got to see Mary.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 11
On 10/8/2019 at 10:41 PM, Bastet said:

I know it's very common for widowers to move on quickly (while widows tend to take much longer, or decline to ever sign up for another serious commitment)

Interesting, I only know of women who jump the gun on this. I lost a friend to cancer and she was sleeping with his best friend within two months. And most of my girlfriends are already on their second spouse, so they know how to move on.  I think both genders are needy and make poor choices.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Nothing about the NICU scenes in this show is realistic. NOTHING. They're not even trying to get it right. It's a lot easier to suspend disbelief when the show at least makes an effort.

I figured that was probably the case. The only newborn I've ever spent time with at the hospital was keeping my friend company for the afternoon the day after her son was born, so she wouldn't be alone while her husband took care of some things, and he was full term and healthy and in her room with her, so other than washing hands and stuff there were no special precautions I had to follow. My only NICU knowledge is from TV/movies, and I assume some are more accurate than others (and probably a sitcom is going to be less likely to try to get it right).

• Love 2

I agree that they didn't build up everyone's relationship with David enough, especially Darlene and Harris.  He was gone for the entirety of Mark's life, and more than half of Harris' (she was what? 6 when he left) but they are both completely fine with him and act like nothing ever happened.  Darlene was left with a small child and a baby (or pregnant still) and all is well there too!  David is getting off way too easy.  If Harris can forgive him for being gone for so long she should be able to forgive Darlene for sleeping with two men.  Seriously.   

• Love 15

I can now see why someone mentioned how interesting it's gonna be when the family finds out about Dan & Louise starting to date especially Jackie as I just re watched a scene in 1x08's episode and Jackie didn't seem that she liked Louise much so I now too am very interested as well to watch their reactions to Dan & Louise's ufolding romance/relationship.

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think the show does need to deal with Jackie’s pain over losing Roseanne.  They are doing a good job with Dan but they haven’t really done too much with Jackie who has spent her entire life in her sister’s shadow.    How do you recover from that.   Jackie has never really been her own person and it would be interesting if the show deals with Jackie learning who she is without Roseanne.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Has anyone else noticed the "Lanford Sucks" sign above Harris' bed? I noticed it last week, but forgot to mention it at the time, so after seeing it again in this week's episode, I had to bring it up here. It cracks me up. 😄 

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I agree that they didn't build up everyone's relationship with David enough, especially Darlene and Harris.  He was gone for the entirety of Mark's life, and more than half of Harris' (she was what? 6 when he left) but they are both completely fine with him and act like nothing ever happened.  Darlene was left with a small child and a baby (or pregnant still) and all is well there too!  David is getting off way too easy.  If Harris can forgive him for being gone for so long she should be able to forgive Darlene for sleeping with two men.  Seriously.   

I was flabbergasted when in the first season, Roseanne totally was so kind with him and told him that he was a good man. I like the actor but Roseanne really enables David's flakiness because she thinks he is a sweet and sensitive guy. The truth is a tragedy like your brother dying is not a reason to abandon your family. Think about all the abandoned children there would be in the world if this were true.  

• Love 17

I don't know why they went there with David. He was weak but would never abandon his children. 

I know Johnny couldn't be on the show full time, but they could have David working in another state or country since he can't find a job in Chicago. They could even be divorced but David still sees the kids off screen. That could excuse his absence.

Now we're stuck with with a dead beat dad and this stupid triangle.

• Love 20

i think my favorite line goes to Becky “I failed at being poor.”

It's a funny line, and also very true to life. I related to it- I was denied Medicaid in April 2018 because I was 61 cents over the income limit. Like if I had worked 10 minutes less at work I would have been fine. Luckily I was set up with a pretty decent marketplace insurance plan for 60 dollars a month, but still- when you're at that point where you're just over the limit, it sucks. I really felt for Becky.

I loved that they set up the basement for Beck and the baby. The sense of gratitude washing over Becky's face was a beautiful moment.

• Love 11

I know it's very common for widowers to move on quickly (while widows tend to take much longer, or decline to ever sign up for another serious commitment)

That's been my anecdotal experience with the widowers I've known. Most were re-married within a year! I think it's typical of a certain generation that follows conventional "roles," since the expectation is that a man needs a woman to cook and clean for him. Archaic, I know, but still true. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Now Becky is going to have to go up 2 flights to use a bathroom once Dan is in bed, unless she wants to walk through his bedroom to get to one.

There's also an entrance to that bathroom off the little hallway, so she wouldn't have to walk through the bedroom (and he might sleep through the toilet flushing and water running; he and Roseanne probably got used to hearing each other get up in the middle of the night and acclimated to sleeping through it).  And, hell, they've retconned that basement so much, it may magically have a bathroom now.

I think the crying baby should be as far away from everyone else trying to sleep as the house allows, and the basement is also the most private.  And, like you said, it's a good size, so I think Becky and the baby are the best fit for it.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's been my anecdotal experience with the widowers I've known. Most were re-married within a year! I think it's typical of a certain generation that follows conventional "roles," since the expectation is that a man needs a woman to cook and clean for him. Archaic, I know, but still true. 

I also think losing a spouse makes you realize how fleeting life is and you don’t want to waste any time that you have here on earth.   Also it must be hard going from having a companion to being alone.  

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, mojoween said:

Harris is a shithead to her mother and should never speak to her like that no matter what Darlene has done, but still...no toilet paper.  WTF are the adults doing around that house?

Apparently spending all their time in the bathroom.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Overall very sweet, so I guess I can overlook the 4-month-old, 12-pound "preemie".  Who was so cute, by the way.

My husband said, "That's not a newborn." I said, "Nevermind that. It's supposed to be a preemie!" That baby was a good 7 ounces.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Jennabelle88 said:

My husband said, "That's not a newborn." I said, "Nevermind that. It's supposed to be a preemie!" That baby was a good 7 ounces.

7 ounces would definitely qualify as a preemie. 7 pounds not so much. 😉

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

The only story line that interests me is Dan and Louise's potential romance. I loved the scenes between John Goodman and Katey Sagal, two pros.

I hate that Darlene is two-timing her boyfriend with her ex-husband (I never liked Darlene anyway; I despised her for the way she treated David). I dislike both of the kids. 

Becky's story line is just too depressing: a cocktail waitress who never fulfilled her potential; a new single mom over 40, with the father a one-night stand who's also a deported illegal immigrant.

I love Laurie Metcalfe, but I don't really care for Jackie. The character has always seemed so inconsistent. 

DJ might as well be written off (like Andy and Jerry) for all Michael Fishman is on the show.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

DJ might as well be written off (like Andy and Jerry) for all Michael Fishman is on the show.

For what it's worth, I think he has another primary career outside of acting these days (and IIRC, some have said that he and his parents invested his childhood earnings well enough that he really doesn't have to worry about work all that much), and he looks at this show as a labor of love more than  anything else. I don't think he really cares how much screen time he gets; he's just happy to be back with his TV family again. 

• Love 11
On 10/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, iMonrey said:

I know continuity isn't a priority for this show otherwise we'd know what the hell happened to Jackie's kid. But yeah, the basement doesn't look anything like it did in the original Roseanne show. Both Darlene and David lived down there at one point and there were several episodes that had scenes down there. There was actually a sectioned off room which they used as a bedroom and the stairs were not visible from it. 

Also? That basement got flooded 2 seasons back (in the reboot's first season when it was still Roseanne). And I can't imagine it has real great ventilation. They should have moved Mark and Harris down into the basement and given Becky her old bedroom back.

Honestly, aren't they ever going to do anything with him? He's little more than a glorified extra. The actor isn't that bloody awful. 

I also thought a damp basement that was recently flooded and totaled was not a good place for a baby, especially one that may have health issues due to being premature, should have put one of the kids or Darlene down there instead.

Edited by msrachelj
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2019 at 8:28 AM, aquarian1 said:

David is getting off way too easy.  If Harris can forgive him for being gone for so long she should be able to forgive Darlene for sleeping with two men.  Seriously.   

He did get off way too easy, but he didn't put Harris in an awkward position by coming back. And now Darlene is doing so to Harris, who feels torn by her loyalty to each parent. She is clearly more loyal to Darlene since she isn't running to tell David what's going on, but she shouldn't be in that position at all, and she has a right to be furious. 

• Love 3

Awful. Characters making dumb decisions and having to - surprise! - deal with consequences. If you all would just act like adults your lives would be much better. “I didn’t plan any of this” is a load of avoidance horse shit.

Katy Segal is great. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1