Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Preemie Monologues

Pallas
  • Start Topic

The family steps in to help Becky with baby costs, and Dan invites Dan Ackroyd to the poker table. Coincidence? Meanwhile, in an old school mother/daughter showdown, Darlene must concede the high ground. 

• Love 2

I just loved this episode Dan & Louise are adorable together!! That slip up with Roseanne's name was sad, but I'm glad Louise didn't take it personally. Also loved that Louise was supporting Dan in the NICU that was really sweet!!

I felt for Becky as she's having a rough time with the new baby and bills and all that, but hopefully that'll get better. Little Bev is so cute!!

Harris was being a total jerk to Darlene talk about disrespect.. I couldn't believe she knew about Ben & David, I guess she's smarter then I thought.

Jackie was hilarious tonight..

Loved seeing Dj & Mary.

It was so nice of the family to decorate the basement for Becky & Little Bev..

Can't wait for next weeks I think it'll be even better..

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Overall very sweet, so I guess I can overlook the 4-month-old, 12-pound "preemie".  Who was so cute, by the way.

Okay, so I don't know much about newborns, except for holding the random baby when my friends have given birth, but that kid liked way to big to be a preemie to me. At some point it's like they thought if they kept saying it, then we'll just ignore the obvious. 

I really wish they would include DJ and Mary in the show more. I mean if we switch them out for Harris it's like a 2 for 1 deal. (Although I'm glad someone called Darlene out on her David/Ben bullshit).

• Love 15

That basement was lovely! I want to live there, lol. I also liked Emilio skyping with Becky. I hope he gets to come back. 

That baby was cute but no way did she weigh 4 pounds, lol. 

I also like how Becky just hugged Jackie in the kitchen and all was forgiven between them. 

• Love 15

Babies have to be at least 15 days old to film, and those that young have the strictest limits on how long they can work (20 minutes per day, not just at a time), how long they can be exposed to the bright lights of a TV studio (only 30 seconds at a time, which means filming is realistically all but impossible), etc., so until you get to the 6 month-2 year category, you can barely use a baby/kid.  It's just the nature of filming that a character who's a full-term newborn will be played by an older (and thus larger) infant, and it's certainly true that a supposed preemie will not be played by a baby who's small enough - using real infants as props/characters is inherently problematic (on several fronts), and using a doll instead would inspire its own set of "unrealistic!" complaints.

• Useful 7
  • Love 14
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Babies have to be at least 15 days old to film, and those that young have the strictest limits on how long they can work (20 minutes per day, not just at a time), how long they can be exposed to the bright lights of a TV studio (only 30 seconds at a time, which means filming is realistically all but impossible), etc., so until you get to the 6 month-2 year category, you can barely use a baby/kid.  It's just the nature of filming that a character who's a full-term newborn will be played by an older (and thus larger) infant, and it's certainly true that a supposed preemie will not be played by a baby who's small enough - using real infants as props/characters is inherently problematic (on several fronts), and using a doll instead would inspire its own set of "unrealistic!" complaints.

Oh I totally understand (if this was in response to my 12-pound preemie comments). They can either avoid showing the baby at all, or have a baby that’s way too old for the role. That said, that was one cute baby!

• Love 16

"I was so happy when you had kids, because I knew we'd be here one day."  LOL.  Even though the writing isn't nearly as sharp for these kids as it was when Becky and Darlene were, it is indeed fun seeing patterns repeat with respect to Darlene parenting.

It's quite realistic for Harris to, despite what a horrible father David became and remained for some time, respond to this godsawful love triangle by taking his side, snapping at Darlene for screwing him over.  That's her dad, and after all those years of him being in the wrong, in this particular instance Darlene is the one doing dirty, and Harris switches on a dime.  It's a dynamic seen all the time.

I like the it takes a village storyline surrounding Becky and her baby: Louise playing off Becky's freak-out as dinner theatre made me laugh, but then her summoning Dan (who summoned Darlene) was sweet.  And then Darlene acting like "home" is her house and inviting Becky, but Dan going right along with it, and the latest incarnation of the ever-changing basement.  Becky had a decent life which finally had potential for a little bit of advancement going until she decided to derail it by parenting, but with her support system, she may very well muddle through into something good like those before her.

John Goodman is doing a terrific job with Dan's conflicting emotions about Louise, and - in complete opposite of my fears generated by all the articles about how she goes full-court press despite his gentle refusal last season - I like how Louise is handling those conflicting emotions.  I know it's very common for widowers to move on quickly (while widows tend to take much longer, or decline to ever sign up for another serious commitment), but I hope they'll let this play out at a pace that respects the fact he's not yet ready to date again after losing the woman he'd been happily (not every day, of course, but overall) committed to since he was a teenager - this is a scenario where a longer trajectory than the statistics would be right.

Dan telling Jackie the truth (to which she responded in Mandarin, heh) and later Becky hugging it out with her captured well Jackie's personality and dynamic within the family.  They're doing a good job continuing to incorporate her even though Roseanne is gone.

I don't think they made good use of Dan Aykroyd, but from the promos it seems this Blues Brothers reunion was but one of several former co-stars reuniting gimmicks the network is doing, so shows had to shoehorn them in.

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"I was so happy when you had kids, because I knew we'd be here one day." 

Whenever I was being awful my mother would tell me she hoped I had a child one day who was just like me... just like she did...   So yes this worked for me.

49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Babies have to be at least 15 days old to film, and those that young have the strictest limits on how long they can work (20 minutes per day, not just at a time

All of this... but that's why you use a doll.   Or you fast forward.  Or you don't pretend like the baby is a premie that needs round the clock overnight vigilance.   

For once I didn't mind Harris's anger.  I like that she found out about David, because there is no way Becky could hide having a boy over kids know EVERYTHING and that house is way too small to hide things.     And Harris has every right to be angry that this is being kept from her and that she's expected to be in the middle and that this somehow going to blow up in everybody's face and she'll face the consequences as well.   

• Love 8

I need to gather my thoughts but wow I loved that episode.   It felt... homey?!?  All the family had a line or two at least, we got more of Harris , both her snark and her HEART (she loves her dad, awww), and DJ was classic DJ omg, they really need to utilize Michael Fishman more he is great.  Mark and Mary were funny, and the main cast was excellent.   I love Louise SO MUCH, she seems like the stable presence this family needs.  When Dan said “Rose” my heart burst.   Darlene and Jackie were excellent, and Becky!!!!  I was in tears with the cheery basement, adorable baby, and Emilio!!!  It’s so nice to feel genuine familial LOVE that was all around this episode 💗💗💗

• Love 18

The family has a four bedroom house, including the basement.  Dan has a room and Darlene has a room.  That leaves one more room for three kids and DJ.  Where do all these people supposedly stay?

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Alex752 said:

The family has a four bedroom house, including the basement.  Dan has a room and Darlene has a room.  That leaves one more room for three kids and DJ.  Where do all these people supposedly stay?

Are DJ and Mary staying there? I thought they have their own place and that's why we only see them pop in and out once in a while.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Alex752 said:

Dan--Dan and Roseanne's old room

Darlene--DJ's old room

Harris and Mark--Becky and Darlene's old room

Becky and Beverly Rose--basement (David's old room)

DJ and his daughter, Mary--with their wife and mother in DJ and Geena's house

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are almost always a couple of exchanges per episode that really make me laugh. This week it was Jackie with her drink.

Becky: I heard you were upset.

Jackie: I'm not upset. clinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclink

Edited by DoubleUTeeEff
added Mary's name
  • LOL 4
  • Love 20

I can just see the casting call “looking for a small premature baby to use as a prop in a situation comedy.   Must be sickly looking but also cute.”   

Katey Sagal fits in well on this show and has great chemistry with John Goodman. When Dan made the “Rose” mistake it actually lead to a really nice conversation.

I don’t think Harris was being that much of a brat.  I think she is an angry confused teenager who just got her father back and now her mother is jumping between him and another guy.  It must be confusing for her.

i think my favorite line goes to Becky “I failed at being poor.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 22

Humph.

I get Harris being pissed at Darlene’s shimmy-sham fests with David/Ben but at the end of the day that’s her mother….be angry all you want but you need to be respectful.  Heiffa had my eyebrow up higher than Mr. Spock, at some point I would have karate chopped her throat!

Loving Dan and Louise and hope this is taken snail's pace slow.  It will be interesting to see the reactions from the girls, DJ and especially Jackie once this romance takes off.

Love the new set for Becky and Bev....glad they had Emilio on but isn't his deportation cell a wee bit homey looking?  I'd think he'd be in some cramped room or something.

Beverly Rose is adorable and had me near tears with her chubby smiling self.

• Love 5
Just now, Vixenstud said:

Love the new set for Becky and Bev....glad they had Emilio on but isn't his deportation cell a wee bit homey looking?  I'd think he'd be in some cramped room or something.

I think he was just back in Mexico (staying with family, I assume, since he mentioned Jackie not being able to tell him apart from his [brother? cousin? I forget]).

• Love 17
12 hours ago, ESS said:

I love that Louise cares about the family even though she's not actually family!

I like that Louise was so understanding about Dan calling her Rose.

There was a great scene on Designing Women when Julia was dating Reese.  Julia's husband had died, and when they first started dating Reese said something to Julia along the lines of, "A Woman shouldn't have to stop loving her husband just because he died."  Showing he understood Julia could still love her dead husband while trying to move on with her life.

24 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

That was hilarious, and LG's delivery was perfect.

I don't like the triangle (I never do), but what I find really odd is Darlene not knowing what she wants, or how to articulate it.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I like that Louise was so understanding about Dan calling her Rose.

Yes I love that she was so understanding as well...

33 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Loving Dan and Louise and hope this is taken snail's pace slow. 

Yeah I too hope that it takes the slow route as well, but not too slow though.

• Love 7

Dan and Roseanne had been together since high school.  Dan fully expected to spend the rest of his life with her and to have her die so suddenly tragically and preventably is hard on Dan and reminding the audience that yes  Louise is great but Dan is still deeply in love with his wife is a good thing.

I like that Louise understands this and is willing to take it slow because she is in love with Dan.

it is all very complicated which ironically makes for good comedy.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 22

The best episode of the season so far, IMO (okay, we're only three episodes in, but still lol). Becky's line about failing to be poor was also my favorite, and I'm SO happy that someone else FINALLY (besides Jackie, that is) knows about Darlene's situation with David and Ben (and it finally gives more weight to Harris' bratty behavior, too).

Katey Sagal really does fit in perfectly with this show. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 19

Count me in as someone else who found "I failed at being poor" the line of the show. Also, too real.

So, I think I'm in with Dan and Louise? Katey Segal and John Goodman are wonderful together.

Harris, girl, you have a driver's license. Take some of your weed money and go buy toilet paper yourself. Are you telling me none of the adults can give her cash to go on a Buy'N'Bag run, since between work and shifts with the baby at the hospital and secret romances, that would be super helpful?

That aside, I do get her anger at Darlene here. I think it would have had a lot more impact if she wasn't always a disrespectful shit. It would also have more impact if David and Harris ever had scenes together - still, it's not hard to figure that she's afraid he'll disappear again when/if this blows up. She might not even be wrong about that.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I can just see the casting call “looking for a small premature baby to use as a prop in a situation comedy.   Must be sickly looking but also cute.”   

Katey Sagal fits in well on this show and has great chemistry with John Goodman. When Dan made the “Rose” mistake it actually lead to a really nice conversation.

I don’t think Harris was being that much of a brat.  I think she is an angry confused teenager who just got her father back and now her mother is jumping between him and another guy.  It must be confusing for her.

2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Humph.

I get Harris being pissed at Darlene’s shimmy-sham fests with David/Ben but at the end of the day that’s her mother….be angry all you want but you need to be respectful.  Heiffa had my eyebrow up higher than Mr. Spock, at some point I would have karate chopped her throat!

Loving Dan and Louise and hope this is taken snail's pace slow.  It will be interesting to see the reactions from the girls, DJ and especially Jackie once this romance takes off.

Beverly Rose is adorable and had me near tears with her chubby smiling self.

After the ugly baby comments of last episode I was very surprised to see this beautiful and very healthy looking baby.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Becky's line about failing at being poor was great, but it's also tragic.  The reality is what the government considers poverty, and what actually is poverty is a huge gap.  People that truly need aid don't get it.

THIS. Yes. 

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Yeah, David bailing AGAIN is always possible so I don't understand Darlene at all.  I would think she would be extra cautious about the kids getting hurt again.  Also, Darlene never struck me as a give second chances kind of person.  Trying to be civil to David and getting along with him for the children is one thing.  Getting involved romantically with him again, makes no sense.

Becky's line about failing at being poor was great, but it's also tragic.  The reality is what the government considers poverty, and what actually is poverty is a huge gap.  People that truly need aid don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

THIS. Yes. 

The thing that pissed me off was that it was because of her hard work at being a good waitress that screwed her. Her tips are what set her over the allowable limit.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

The thing that pissed me off was that it was because of her hard work at being a good waitress that screwed her. Her tips are what set her over the allowable limit.

Yeah, it's like people get punished for working and trying to do a good job.  I know Becky has made some bad decisions, but she's trying really hard, and it bites her in the ass.

• Love 20

Do NICUs keep big fuzzy blankets for parents who are sitting with their babies? Because I feel like that sorta defeats the purpose of wearing the gown and gloves and all, especially if she brought the blanket herself...

• Love 3

I wish they hadn't aged Harris down and made her into a watered down Darlene. How interesting would it be if Darlene and Harris have a grownup mother-daughter relationship instead of an angsty bratty teenager. Harris can give her perspective regarding Darlene's actions as a woman in her 20's who has experienced life outside the rules and safety of her family. Even telling Darlene to grow up would come off differently.

Since this is tv, I'm sure they can find a way for her to be in Landford somehow.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Yeah, David bailing AGAIN is always possible so I don't understand Darlene at all.  I would think she would be extra cautious about the kids getting hurt again.  Also, Darlene never struck me as a give second chances kind of person.  Trying to be civil to David and getting along with him for the children is one thing.  Getting involved romantically with him again, makes no sense.

She has said several times, including this episode, that she loves him.   Just bc we may or may not love him doesn’t negate the way the character feels about him.   And I DO think she is being cautious.  That’s why she has been keeping it hush-hush.   I think she is trying to be cautious for the kids and for herself.   Of course being a grown-up and honest about all of this would be the better route, so hopefully soon.  

• Love 6
Just now, BeachDays said:

She has said several times, including this episode, that she loves him.

Which is the first of dozens of things that need to exist in order to be married to/raise a family with someone.  Just because they love each other doesn't mean they're good for each other, and the writers are doing a piss poor job of showing why on earth Darlene would want to not just amicably co-parent with but get back together romantically with the man who abandoned not only her but their children, for many years, and who is only newly back in their lives.  Loving him is a given.  She always will.  But trusting him as a romantic partner and as a father, and wanting to be with him in that way again?  The writers rushed that in a way that makes no sense.

Of course, those two haven't been good for each other since way back when she lived in Chicago as a teenager, yet they kept getting back together and she even decided to marry and have a kid with him, so it's not a total surprise that they're still doing this ridiculous dance, but they have a lot more on the line this time around.

• Love 15

Don't get me wrong, I like the basement living space for Becky and Little Bev. But, it's totally switched around. The stairs are coming from the opposite side of the house. I mean, they did such a good job of getting the rest of the house to match as a somewhat updated version of the Chez Conner...but the basement looks like the Taylor's basement set from Home Improvement. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the basement living space for Becky and Little Bev. But, it's totally switched around. The stairs are coming from the opposite side of the house. I mean, they did such a good job of getting the rest of the house to match as a somewhat updated version of the Chez Conner...but the basement looks like the Taylor's basement set from Home Improvement. 

I think it looks the same as last year. Remember when Chuck came over to ask Dan why he wasn't using his crew for the gov. job Dan had just bid on and won? Chuck was standing on those stairs yelling at Dan. But, no it doesn't look the same as the original show.

• Love 2

Man, this episode hit me in several different ways. First off, as a widow I get Dan's reluctance to move on and start dating again. Louise is very understanding but it helps that she went to high school with them and saw their love story from the beginning and so she can be patient and wait for him to be ready for her and this next stage of his life. But my heart broke when he said "Rose" - I have no doubt that he and Roseanne sat next to Harris's bedside when she was a baby and this has to be have brought some of those memories back.

"I failed at being poor." Damn that is true. I have worked two jobs for the last three years and this will be the first year (I hope) that I haven't had to pay the IRS. Why? Because the second job moved me up to the next tax bracket but the taxes taken out don't match. It drives me crazy that I am spending all this time working and still not getting ahead because of the extra taxes from working too much but if I don't work the extra hours, I won't be able to keep up with my mortgage and car payments. It's a frustrating thing to know you are working so hard and it is still not enough.

• Love 13

Don't get me wrong, I like the basement living space for Becky and Little Bev. But, it's totally switched around.

I know continuity isn't a priority for this show otherwise we'd know what the hell happened to Jackie's kid. But yeah, the basement doesn't look anything like it did in the original Roseanne show. Both Darlene and David lived down there at one point and there were several episodes that had scenes down there. There was actually a sectioned off room which they used as a bedroom and the stairs were not visible from it. 

Also? That basement got flooded 2 seasons back (in the reboot's first season when it was still Roseanne). And I can't imagine it has real great ventilation. They should have moved Mark and Harris down into the basement and given Becky her old bedroom back.

It isn't that I want Michael Fishman to lose his job, it is just that if they are't ever going to do anything with DJ it is a waste of 20 seconds every few episodes.

Honestly, aren't they ever going to do anything with him? He's little more than a glorified extra. The actor isn't that bloody awful. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Honestly, aren't they ever going to do anything with him? He's little more than a glorified extra. The actor isn't that bloody awful. 

Michael's acting has come a long way from the kid who angrily shouts all his lines.

I want more stories about DJ too. How did he get together with Geena? How's his mental health been after the military? How's he doing with his wife away? They just dropped the ball with his character.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are almost always a couple of exchanges per episode that really make me laugh. This week it was Jackie with her drink.

Becky: I heard you were upset.

Jackie: I'm not upset. clinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclinkclink

That was such a beautifully classic Jackie moment. Metcalf is brilliantly funny.

I know it's silly but I still haven't adjusted to David being a dad. I was so jarred when Harris referred to him as "Dad" that it took me a minute to figure out who she was talking about. He still just seems like that teenager we knew.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Which is the first of dozens of things that need to exist in order to be married to/raise a family with someone.  Just because they love each other doesn't mean they're good for each other, and the writers are doing a piss poor job of showing why on earth Darlene would want to not just amicably co-parent with but get back together romantically with the man who abandoned not only her but their children, for many years, and who is only newly back in their lives.  Loving him is a given.  She always will.  But trusting him as a romantic partner and as a father, and wanting to be with him in that way again?  The writers rushed that in a way that makes no sense.

Of course, those two haven't been good for each other since way back when she lived in Chicago as a teenager, yet they kept getting back together and she even decided to marry and have a kid with him, so it's not a total surprise that they're still doing this ridiculous dance, but they have a lot more on the line this time around.

Again I feel like this is why she is not going in fully-  she is also hesitant. 

• Love 1

Being hesitant and not going in fully is one thing, and this ain't it.  Darlene is sneaking around with two guys, screwing them, and telling Jackie she needs to decide who she wants to spend the rest of her life with {face palm}.  If Darlene had told Ben, she still had feelings for David and needed to figure things out.  Then had perhaps talked things over with David, discussed where they went wrong, gotten therapy, something.  Then I would call that trying to figure things out.  Lying and cheating is not helping nor is it going to resolve this situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15