Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: Big O’s And Broken Toes

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

Some of it could be from the medications she's taking for her arthritis. If she's been having flair-ups she may have needed steroids which can cause puffiness and bloating...and if she's having flair-ups it's probably painful for her to exercise regularly -the vicious cycle she said she was in with her weight. I'm sure the stress from whatever was really going on with Shane didn't help either.

I know people who have had autoimmune issues and meds taken that cause the face to fill out. Trust me, her eyes are being swallowed up by the filler inejctions, not by meds.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

I would find it hilarious if Bravo decides since there hasn't been a great reduction in viewership to fire Vicki and demote Tamra to Friend Of. Gina should be fired too as they aren't going to want to pay her for sitters and Uber.

RHOC runs 2nd or third on the cable ratings.  I saw something like 1.3M viewers.  Is that down?

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

It’s definitely her thyroid.  I had it.  Puffiness in the face, swollen fingers, etc.  As soon as they regulate the thyroid, she’ll be better. 

I’m glad that you received thyroid treatment and have gotten better, but that isn’t the case for a lot of people who have autoimmune thyroid conditions (and the vast majority of thyroid conditions are autoimmune in nature). As someone who was diagnosed with thyroid issues more than ten years ago (in my twenties, but I believe I had the condition well before that), I can say that it’s not as simple as taking thyroid hormones for many of us. I do hope Emily is getting help from a functional MD who will not just give her replacement hormones without examining other contributing factors, causes, and lifestyle interventions. Even with the right help, autoimmune conditions can really shapeshift and require constant attention.  Also, if she does have an autoimmune thyroid condition, then there’s a good chance that her arthritis is RA. Autoimmune conditions love to attack together.

Also, others have said it, but it bears repeating: technically, Emily is overweight not obese (according to BMI). She’s 5’10 and 191 lbs. That makes her BMI 27.4, which is clearly in the overweight category. To be classified as “obese,” she would need to be at least 210 lbs, which would put her BMI over 30 (which is obese). The machine they use at Cut Fitness (InBody) suggests obesity be measured by PBF (Percent Body Fat), which uses different metrics than BMI.

https://inbodyusa.com/general/result-sheet-interpretation/#section2

From what I can tell, BMI (even with all its flaws) still seems to be the primary measure of obesity that docs use. There’s value in PBF, but I don’t think Eddie or Tamra know what they’re talking about. They’re just going by what InBody  tells them is obese. It’s literally just in the instruction manual on the company’s website.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/body-fat-measurement

0091E48F-9C0B-4D1A-ABC3-453F720BA0E4.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Re: Tamra's obsession with the whole "train" thing. She seems to think Braunwyn  is cool to have a threesome. Is there some kind of number limit that makes it okay for her? Or is it because the threesome is the male fantasy type (two women, one man) but it wouldn't be okay if it was two men and Braunwyn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

RHOC runs 2nd or third on the cable ratings.  I saw something like 1.3M viewers.  Is that down?

Not in Bravo terms, I think SM chatter is how they gauge its shows. You also need to think about the shows they keep on with very low ratings - i.e. Patty Skanker lasted years

I don't see them dropping OC any time soon - it's one of their original RH shows

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I agree, the Emily RA really did come out of the blue - that surprised me as well.

RA is a huge part of who I am,so for this to be the first we heard about it from Emily took me by surprise.

Of course, I’m not on a reality TV show - i am pretty boring- but I realize being boring is a good thing. Nor am I married to a dweeb like Shane... Although the first time I did marry outside my species - although the second time is coming on 25 years.

I know I’ve been rambling but my brother collapsed and did unexpectedly a week and a half ago - just turned 59 - and reality and wine head an effect on me tonight 

I had no idea what you have been going thru as I skip around the thread.  I’m so sorry to hear of your suffering.  Much 💕 to you.

• Love 5
Just now, Duke2801 said:

I will! I can’t wait! Have you seen them live? 

I haven't seen them LIVE, every time I've tried to buy NY tickets they are sold out.  But I've listened to them from the start. Before Watch What Crappens  they made a few videos - I think they called it Housewives Hoedown. When they started the WWC podcast they used to bring their computer to a place like the food court of a mall - and their buddy Matthew I think from yahoo used to join them

If you subscribe to them on Patreon you can watch their podcasts when they have them in front of a live audience

When I mentioned the plastic hammer for the Shannon bowl I made a mistake - I think it was a rubber toilet scrubber they used to bonk each other.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

From what I can tell, BMI (even with all its flaws) still seems to be the primary measure of obesity that docs use. There’s value in PBF, but I don’t think Eddie or Tamra know what they’re talking about. They’re just going by what InBody  tells them is obese. It’s literally just in the instruction manual on the company’s website.

My conclusion as well.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:
9 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

Not in Bravo terms, I think SM chatter is how they gauge its shows.

SM, smh.  So they measure how many comments and likes, tweets and posts.  Looking back at PT threads....I see season 10 episodes would have 10-15 pages of comments.  Maybe this "train" has slowed down.  ;D

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2019 at 11:52 PM, MrsWitter said:

The machine they use at Cut Fitness (InBody) suggests obesity be measured by PBF (Percent Body Fat), which uses different metrics than BMI.

https://inbodyusa.com/general/result-sheet-interpretation/#section2

Thanks for your research.  You now, Eddie gave her the muscle(/bone) weights and fat weight and they added up to 191 pounds but in the examples at at InBody, these never add up to the person's Total Weight.  Seems like a third thing, perhaps water or organs, add in.  In the examples, there is 40-60 pounds of other!  Implying poor Emily is over 191.  Also giving us doubts about Eddie's expertise,

Edited by MajorNelson
typo
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

Question to all, was Jeana Keough's weight/BMI/obese/not obese talked about as much as Emily's is now?

My recollection is that Jeana's storyline was that her husband was so awful to her because she'd gained "twenty pounds" since her Playboy Bunny days. The show started and she told us Matt and his mom chose her for her genes and once they'd procreated and she put on weight, he had no use for her.  I guess that was such a weird/sad story that no one really commented on it because...how do you comment on that??

Jeana was always trying to lose.  Remember her goofy trainer who would do weird things like come to her house and throw out all her food?  He didn't look like he was missing too many meals either.  In season three, Jeana, Vicki and Tamra all did Boot Camp together, and there was a consensus among the women that Jeana's ass was smaller than Vicki's.

But, no, to answer the question posed, I don't think there was as much attention paid to Jeana's weight. I think it's because Jeana came on the show at her heaviest, so there was no gain to comment on, and I also think it's because she was a bit older than Emily, in addition to the fact that Jeana got ahead of it and made it her thing from jump.  She bitched about her weight so much that everyone else was probably sick of talking about it.  

Jeana did a Jackie Warner Bravo spin-off about weight loss, and I think she weighed 170 lbs when they first weighed her, before she lost, and she looked thicker than Emily to me, so it just goes to show how some people carry weight better than others. 

I really, really like Jeana Keough, and I don't think this show would have declined as much as it did if she would have stuck around, but one thing that turned me off about her was that she always seemed to be debuting a huge weight loss, plus a cosmetic surgery, and she supposedly looked so good, and...I never saw a difference.  I never got Jeana's physical reformations.  She always looked the same to me.  She looks the same to me now.

So, actually, if my memory is correct, Jeana got the exact opposite treatment Emily is getting:  she only got attention for losing weight.  Even Tamra said that Jeana had a smaller/better ass than Vicki, and Tamra hated Jeana.  I think there was something about the way Jeana carried herself that made other women disregard her as a threat.

• Love 4
On 10/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

Im sorry to point this out but being thin does not equate to being Healthy! people are confusing healthy with a lot of shit they shouldn’t be. People have different body types and different healthy weights. No two people are gonna be the exact same. But don’t confuse  Thin/slim with healthy. This is why people have eating disorders. It’s better to consult a professional with what your ideal body weight should be One size does not fit all when it comes to this.  Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk lol 

I agree, and Weight Watchers is the way to go, but I don’t think Pig heads are allowed.

• Love 3

Weight is a hotter topic now than ever.  Nothing has really ever been said about Vicki's weight, even though she's larger than the others.  In the real world, Vicki is average or smaller than many women her age, but for this group, in OC, the teensy-tinier they are, the more accepted.

Shannon's story was different, because her weight gain was apparent, and she admitted it was caused due to her unhappiness, so she chose to reveal her struggle.  

But because Emily is tall, and she carries it so well, it's not as noticeable as Shannon's.  I'm built more like Shannon, and shorter, so I get her struggles.

But the teensy-tiny thing amongst women of this age range (which I'm in) seems to be the "in thing" these days, everywhere.  Remember when Heather Dubrow was adding a pizza oven to her kitchen, she said, "I eat pizza once a year, but this will be for the rest of the family".  Who eats pizza only once a year?  Heather Dubrow, that's who.

It always amazes me that these women eat out so often, drink so much, yet are obviously denying themselves food/drink when the cameras aren't rolling.  

• Love 8
On 10/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, Sterling said:

It always amazes me that these women eat out so often, drink so much, yet are obviously denying themselves food/drink when the cameras aren't rolling.  

And that's incredibly unhealthy and self-defeating. You're messing with your metabolism when you're basically fasting then binging. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

And that's incredibly unhealthy and self-defeating. You're messing with your metabolism when you're basically fasting then binging. 

That’s actually a myth. https://idmprogram.com/fix-broken-metabolism/

Dr Fung is a highly respected dr in the intermittent fasting world. I’ve been fasting for about 9 months and have never been healthier. I eat what I want and don’t have to count points or eat salads all the time and I’ve lost close to 30 pounds. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Mountainair said:

That’s actually a myth. https://idmprogram.com/fix-broken-metabolism/

Dr Fung is a highly respected dr in the intermittent fasting world. I’ve been fasting for about 9 months and have never been healthier. I eat what I want and don’t have to count points or eat salads all the time and I’ve lost close to 30 pounds. 

This is so important. Understanding how insulin release signals fat storage you will know why intermittent fasting is most healthy.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 6

Emily's husband looks like the love child of a giant insect and John Cryer (2 and a Half Men/Ducky from Pretty in Pink). 

And....just watching a repeat of the episode where Shannon debuts her diet food on QVC. Tamra is watching it and says (something along the lines of) "Shannon is going to do great. She won't need Davids money. She can make it on her own and have her own money".   Ummm Tamra, we all know your dumb, but really? Do you not know that Shannon has/had/will always have her own money? Shannon was independently wealthy when she met David and she doesn't need QVC to survive. Shannon is wealthy on her own. Unlike you Tamra. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

"Shannon is going to do great. She won't need Davids money. She can make it on her own and have her own money". 

I also doubt that her QVC sales will allow her to live at the current lifestyle she is at (ie, David's money and her own money). I mean, kudos to her for starting her own business and all that, but I don't see it taking the diet food industry by storm.

Then again, who knows, Lisa Rinna supposedly did really well from selling on QVC, though that was clothes, not food.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:55 PM, Silver Bells said:

It’s definitely her thyroid.  I had it.  Puffiness in the face, swollen fingers, etc.  As soon as they regulate the thyroid, she’ll be better.  Gee, arthritis too.  That’s a bitch, but I think a lot of us might have arthritis but weren’t diagnosed.  The forties are a killer.  Everything in your body goes haywire.  Then the hormones, but that’s another ball of wax.  To boot, men don’t understand what women go through.  They don’t get why you’re tired and crabby.

Emily's Rheumatoid Arthritis came as a surprise to me, but it sounds like that diagnosis came from her own mouth.  So I feel the need to stress strongly that RA is completely different from the wear and tear of aging, known as arthritis.  You can't walk around with RA and not know it.  It's a bitch and it makes itself known.  And worse, having one auto-immune disease increases the odds of developing more.

Source:  Diagnosed with JRA as a toddler, went into remission, then became active again in my late teens.

• Love 5
On 10/8/2019 at 6:58 PM, Mr. Minor said:

Ugh, a Steve Turd sighting. 😟

Every time he's on camera, it's noticeable to me how careful Steve is to not even brush up against Vicki.  God forbid he should put his arm around her.  This ep they're talking about a proposal, but Steve's behavior toward her is like they're still new acquaintances.  And Vicki's uptightness at sex talk isn't new, but her self restraint in general didn't exist before Steve.

I haven't read far through this episode's board, but did we just see Vicki wearing her new engagement ring and no shots of an actual proposal?  Have I missed something?

• Love 2
On 10/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, DivaLasVegas82 said:

I think a lot of women over eat and then don't want to face the subsequent consequences (weight gain), so I totally relate to Emily on that front. She doesn't look 191 lbs to me. But like I just said, I think it's because she is tall. Tall people can gain weigh and carry it pretty well IMO.

I'll take Alexis and Meghan anyday over pretentious Heather. I hope Heather never returns to the show.

It came out about a month or two ago that Shane didn't pass the bar. Did Emily say he was going to take it again, or has he finally realized he just isn't cut out to be a lawyer?

I think Shane is the one who set Gina up knowing that his cousin already had a girlfriend. And he's going to allow Emily to take the blame for it.

I think it was Mu Shu who posted "at least Shane was nice to Gina this time" or words to that effect.  After seeing your thoughts above, it occurs to me that if Shane knew Gina was going to get stood up, that's probably why he held back on the snark.  He was happy enough to watch the fallout with the extra added bonus of seeing Gina and Emily on the outs again.  Sadist little bastard.

Edited by Anne Thrax
  • Love 2
On 10/9/2019 at 8:32 AM, Silver Bells said:

The only one time I’ve seen that pigheaded was in a James Bond movie where Louis Jordan was eating the eyeball of the pig head.  Must be a delicacy.  Gross. ( guess auto correct not working).

Chinatown in Honolulu has quite a few small meat markets and about every third one has a pig head in the deli case.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2019 at 12:11 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Emily's Rheumatoid Arthritis came as a surprise to me, but it sounds like that diagnosis came from her own mouth.  So I feel the need to stress strongly that RA is completely different from the wear and tear of aging, known as arthritis.  You can't walk around with RA and not know it.  It's a bitch and it makes itself known.  And worse, having one auto-immune disease increases the odds of developing more.

Source:  Diagnosed with JRA as a toddler, went into remission, then became active again in my late teens.

I’m with you - got JRA right after I turned 13, had some periods of remission but not for long. I’m 54 two new hips, fused discs in neck, knee surgery, 4 foot surgeries.  Really hard to explain that kind of pain to others

On 10/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Starlight925 said:

I accidentally ordered a whole chicken at a really nice restaurant in Hong Kong.  Two waiters carried the platter to the table, and there, on this huge platter, was an entire chicken, beak, feet, and all, spread out.  I ordered "crispy chicken".  I had no idea it was whole!  LOL

I applaud Emily for being so vulnerable about her weight issues, and not just acting like she's the "10" that Braunwyn claims in her tagline (ugh).  Weight struggles for women are real, and in image-conscious OC, even more so.  Tamra making that face when Emily said the word "tacos" made me want to punch her.

Eddie is, I believe, a licensed personal trainer, and I'm willing to bet he has necessary certifications to provide physical fitness advice.  He was so professional in his delivery, although I, too, calculated her actual weight in 2 seconds with his numbers.  I have a feeling that was already agreed upon by Emily, as her weight was revealed in the chyron.

Face it:  Eddie's business is based on people like Emily.  Hard working, decent earners (can therefore afford his services), looking to get into better shape.  When Shannon's trainer made that audible gasp when she took off her shirt, I'd have smacked him and walked out.

Yes! Eddie was so professional. I can see clients feeling safe being vulnerable about their weights and body issues with him. Shannon's trainer was so insensitive. I would have never returned to him. 

I'm the opposite of Emily. I am also on the taller side, but my body structure just doesn't care extra weight well. I've told myself my body type is a blessing in disguise because it keeps me healthy. 

Emily carries everything so evenly. I'm sure most people just see a very beautiful, curvy tall woman, but I can understand how she feels being in OC and on RHOC next to tiny women like Tamra, not to mention her husband is little. Emily said she never had issues with her weight until she got cruel comments online. That leads me to believe for any flaws, it doesn't sound like Shane ever makes Emily feel bad for not being a size 2. It's got to hurt a lot more when coming from your partner. I think that's part of why Shannon's weight gain was so devastating-David fat-shamed her.  

• Like 4