Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
TheView

"The View": Week of 10/7/2019

Recommended Posts

I didn't get to watch the show this morning because of where I am.  (There it is on onDemand.) Is diving in.

Has nothing to add that others haven't said.

 

Edited by nokat

Share this post


Link to post

UO, but kudos to Rand for not taking any of the panel's bullshit. It has always pissed me off when they ask a guest a question, and then proceed to talk over them before they even get a chance to answer the damn question. Thank you, Rand, for shutting that shit down today.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I am open to trying new foods but sonny really didn’t  made those vegan patties look appetizing.  Good thing they didn’t mention a brand.  They could have lost a sponsor. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

I am open to trying new foods but sonny really didn’t  made those vegan patties look appetizing.  Good thing they didn’t mention a brand.  They could have lost a sponsor. 

What bugs me as a vegetarian is that it’s always acceptable for meat eaters to mock and openly be grossed out by vegetarian foods to the point where it’s really just rude (I’ve heard “ewwwwwe you’re going to eat that” about tofu one too many times). Meanwhile I’m just minding my own business, never mentioning that I think what they are eating is gross to me. But the majority of the time it gets a bunch of other people going so join in with the “gross I can’t believe you eat that” comments. So I think vegetarians can be a bit sensitive to being mocked and judged all. the. time.

  • Like 12
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

^^^ Too often, the majority doesn't take the time to consider how the minority thinks/feels. Sad.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

What bugs me as a vegetarian is that it’s always acceptable for meat eaters to mock and openly be grossed out by vegetarian foods to the point where it’s really just rude (I’ve heard “ewwwwwe you’re going to eat that” about tofu one too many times). Meanwhile I’m just minding my own business, never mentioning that I think what they are eating is gross to me. But the majority of the time it gets a bunch of other people going so join in with the “gross I can’t believe you eat that” comments. So I think vegetarians can be a bit sensitive to being mocked and judged all. the. time.

Sorry to hear you have people doing that to you. Sonny was definitely making a face (and I think she squirted on two toppings first). Is trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat, and I'm thankful for vegetarian/vegan recipes and prepared food.
 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

I am open to trying new foods but sonny really didn’t  made those vegan patties look appetizing.  Good thing they didn’t mention a brand.  They could have lost a sponsor. 

They looked like hockey pucks. I just think it's nice to have choices ,  if you don't eat meat. We make our burgers at home, that way I know they'll  be good.

7 hours ago, MsTree said:

UO, but kudos to Rand for not taking any of the panel's bullshit. It has always pissed me off when they ask a guest a question, and then proceed to talk over them before they even get a chance to answer the damn question. Thank you, Rand, for shutting that shit down today.

Yes, I liked that. The show was pretty boring Friday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, tribeca said:

I am open to trying new foods but sonny really didn’t  made those vegan patties look appetizing.  Good thing they didn’t mention a brand.  They could have lost a sponsor. 

Agreed.  Seems like anything you have to add that many sauces to (wasn't it mustard, ketchup or hot sauce and something else) to make it palatable isn't that great.  Basically it looked like she was eating mustard and ketchup.  I know there are many great tasting vegetarian foods out there that don't need that much "help". 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, MsTree said:

UO, but kudos to Rand for not taking any of the panel's bullshit. It has always pissed me off when they ask a guest a question, and then proceed to talk over them before they even get a chance to answer the damn question. Thank you, Rand, for shutting that shit down today.

We must have watched a different show.

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Agreed.  Seems like anything you have to add that many sauces to (wasn't it mustard, ketchup or hot sauce and something else) to make it palatable isn't that great.  Basically it looked like she was eating mustard and ketchup.  I know there are many great tasting vegetarian foods out there that don't need that much "help". 

That many sauces?  It was mustard and hot sauce and many people put that and other stuff on hamburgers, so I don't see where it was overload. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, nokat said:

But the majority of the time it gets a bunch of other people going so join in with the “gross I can’t believe you eat that” comments. So I think vegetarians can be a bit sensitive to being mocked and judged all. the. time.

Try mentioning casually (as I did recently) that I'm an atheist.  Little old ladies don't mind reaming a perfect stranger.  I can only assume they believed they're Christians.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

It really bothered me when Rand Paul told the audience their kids would be going to war.....he has 3 sons....married 29 years. Did not mention his kids and military service. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Try mentioning casually (as I did recently) that I'm an atheist.  Little old ladies don't mind reaming a perfect stranger.  I can only assume they believed they're Christians.

Woot. I became agnostic 40 years ago and atheist about 10 years after that. I do right because it feels right - virtue is its own reward. Didn't come out of the closet until I retired 5 years ago because until then I had to worry about bosses/co-workers. Now, fuck it. 26% of Americans identify as atheist and it's the fastest growing "denomination." But, the amount of hatred and judgement after I came out has been a real eye opener. What happened to love thy neighbor and love thine enemy as thyself? I rest my case, LOL.

  • Like 11
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Woot. I became agnostic 40 years ago and atheist about 10 years after that. I do right because it feels right - virtue is its own reward. Didn't come out of the closet until I retired 5 years ago because until then I had to worry about bosses/co-workers. Now, fuck it. 26% of Americans identify as atheist and it's the fastest growing "denomination." But, the amount of hatred and judgement after I came out has been a real eye opener. What happened to love thy neighbor and love thine enemy as thyself? I rest my case, LOL.

So true.  MEAgain says that grief is the last taboo.  Nope,  Declaring you are an atheist is.  I have been an atheist for 40 years, but because of my work, could never say so.

  • Like 10
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ilovemymtv said:

I have been an atheist for 40 years, but because of my work, could never say so.

Yeah.  I never said it at work (but I retired* in 1994).

*Medical=Lupus

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Try mentioning casually (as I did recently) that I'm an atheist.  Little old ladies don't mind reaming a perfect stranger.  I can only assume they believed they're Christians.

10 hours ago, ilovemymtv said:

So true.  MEAgain says that grief is the last taboo.  Nope,  Declaring you are an atheist is.  I have been an atheist for 40 years, but because of my work, could never say so.

Yep.  BUT - it's becoming more accepted, especially with the younger people - 20's and 30's.   I call myself a Secular Humanist instead of atheist.  Put simply, it means that morals and ethics do not have to be connected to a religious set of constructs, or a deity that will punish you if you step out of line.  You can be good just because you're a good person.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

The audience jeering Rand Paul when he said most people who make under $50K don’t pay federal income taxes made me eye-roll. He was right.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, 27bored said:

The audience jeering Rand Paul when he said most people who make under $50K don’t pay federal income taxes made me eye-roll. He was right.

I make under 50,000. Ive always paid income tax. How can the average person possibly escape getting their check taxed?

  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Jewlmc said:

I make under 50,000. Ive always paid income tax. How can the average person possibly escape getting their check taxed?

yeah, many of my friends make less and pay a lot of tax.

I think he is way off on that and most of his ideas presented on the show.

  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jewlmc said:

I make under 50,000. Ive always paid income tax. How can the average person possibly escape getting their check taxed?

Same here.  I make $40,000/year and pay federal, state, & FICA taxes, as I did when I made a lot less than $40,000.  Where is he getting this from?

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jewlmc said:

I make under 50,000. Ive always paid income tax. How can the average person possibly escape getting their check taxed?

3 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, many of my friends make less and pay a lot of tax.

I think he is way off on that and most of his ideas presented on the show.

6 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Same here.  I make $40,000/year and pay federal, state, & FICA taxes, as I did when I made a lot less than $40,000.  Where is he getting this from?

Not to get too off-topic, but I think he tried to explain it and he got cut off. Basically, other than the money deducted from your check that you never see, most people making $50K usually are able to deduct enough so that they wind up being owed by the government. It’s rare to see someone who can only claim the standard deduction for longer than a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Not to get too off-topic, but I think he tried to explain it and he got cut off. Basically, other than the money deducted from your check that you never see, most people making $50K usually are able to deduct enough so that they wind up being owed by the government. It’s rare to see someone who can only claim the standard deduction for longer than a year or two.

But isn't that money that we're getting deducted each month considered a payment of federal income tax?  Although, some people get a portion refunded come April 15, most people don't get FULL payment reimbursed.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Not to get too off-topic, but I think he tried to explain it and he got cut off. Basically, other than the money deducted from your check that you never see, most people making $50K usually are able to deduct enough so that they wind up being owed by the government. It’s rare to see someone who can only claim the standard deduction for longer than a year or two.

But I've never made more than $50K and the money I've received as a federal tax refund doesn't even come close to amount deducted by the federal government.  Rand's numbers are way off.

  • Like 12
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, 27bored said:

Not to get too off-topic, but I think he tried to explain it and he got cut off. Basically, other than the money deducted from your check that you never see, most people making $50K usually are able to deduct enough so that they wind up being owed by the government. It’s rare to see someone who can only claim the standard deduction for longer than a year or two.

What? No, you have your facts wrong. I guess if a family with a bunch of kids had an income if 50k, maybe. But he said a PERSON.  Sorry, you are wrong, and I have tax statements to prove it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Blissfool said:

 Although, some people get a portion refunded come April 15, most people don't get FULL payment reimbursed.

I have a GRIFTER niece, married 4.5 times before she was 40.  She and her current husband haven't worked for ten years.  They scam the government for all benefits (oh...churches too around Christmastime).  They file their "taxes" and lie about doing various cash jobs.  Until this year they had four* kids and they always seem to get THOUSANDS of $$$ in refunds.

*The bio father of the two older kids "kidnapped" them late last year and took them back home with him (at their request and with the help of his ex-mother-in-law).

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I quoted some of you and moved my reply about atheism/agnostic, secular humanists and etc. to the Small Talk thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

But isn't that money that we're getting deducted each month considered a payment of federal income tax?  Although, some people get a portion refunded come April 15, most people don't get FULL payment reimbursed.

The short answer is no, that wouldn’t be described as federal income tax. Payroll taxes aren’t the same thing.

12 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

But I've never made more than $50K and the money I've received as a federal tax refund doesn't even come close to amount deducted by the federal government.  Rand's numbers are way off.

Again: the short answer is that’s not solely income tax. If you take $50K and apply it as income with nothing but a standard deduction, you’d pay $2-3K in federal income tax. Rand’s point is valid given that most Americans don’t make that amount of money with nothing other than a standard deduction. Unless of course they do absolutely no tax planning or research and just hand off their W-2 to their mom to file at the same time she does hers, but whose fault is that?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, 27bored said:

Unless of course they do absolutely no tax planning or research and just hand off their W-2 to their mom to file at the same time she does hers, but whose fault is that?

Ah....my sister is the MOM of the grifter and also the tax preparer.  She said she can't prove the income they "provide" is fake, so she just fills in the number.  

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, 27bored said:

The short answer is no, that wouldn’t be described as federal income tax. Payroll taxes aren’t the same thing.

What?  Payroll taxes include Medicare, Social security and federal income tax.

10 hours ago, 27bored said:

Again: the short answer is that’s not solely income tax. If you take $50K and apply it as income with nothing but a standard deduction, you’d pay $2-3K in federal income tax.

Nope.  You are wrong.   I have tax statements to prove it.  Rand's point is not valid.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, OpalNightstream said:

What bugs me as a vegetarian is that it’s always acceptable for meat eaters to mock and openly be grossed out by vegetarian foods to the point where it’s really just rude (I’ve heard “ewwwwwe you’re going to eat that” about tofu one too many times). Meanwhile I’m just minding my own business, never mentioning that I think what they are eating is gross to me. But the majority of the time it gets a bunch of other people going so join in with the “gross I can’t believe you eat that” comments. So I think vegetarians can be a bit sensitive to being mocked and judged all. the. time.

This is so true! I think vegetarians get this rep of being these aggressive jerks who rip the fur off little old ladies and force everyone they know to stop eating meat. I mind my own business and eat vegetables. I’m not bothering anyone who’s not interested in my lifestyle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...