Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/7/2019

TheView
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, tribeca said:

I am open to trying new foods but sonny really didn’t  made those vegan patties look appetizing.  Good thing they didn’t mention a brand.  They could have lost a sponsor. 

Agreed.  Seems like anything you have to add that many sauces to (wasn't it mustard, ketchup or hot sauce and something else) to make it palatable isn't that great.  Basically it looked like she was eating mustard and ketchup.  I know there are many great tasting vegetarian foods out there that don't need that much "help". 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, MsTree said:

UO, but kudos to Rand for not taking any of the panel's bullshit. It has always pissed me off when they ask a guest a question, and then proceed to talk over them before they even get a chance to answer the damn question. Thank you, Rand, for shutting that shit down today.

We must have watched a different show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Agreed.  Seems like anything you have to add that many sauces to (wasn't it mustard, ketchup or hot sauce and something else) to make it palatable isn't that great.  Basically it looked like she was eating mustard and ketchup.  I know there are many great tasting vegetarian foods out there that don't need that much "help". 

That many sauces?  It was mustard and hot sauce and many people put that and other stuff on hamburgers, so I don't see where it was overload. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, nokat said:

But the majority of the time it gets a bunch of other people going so join in with the “gross I can’t believe you eat that” comments. So I think vegetarians can be a bit sensitive to being mocked and judged all. the. time.

Try mentioning casually (as I did recently) that I'm an atheist.  Little old ladies don't mind reaming a perfect stranger.  I can only assume they believed they're Christians.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Try mentioning casually (as I did recently) that I'm an atheist.  Little old ladies don't mind reaming a perfect stranger.  I can only assume they believed they're Christians.

Woot. I became agnostic 40 years ago and atheist about 10 years after that. I do right because it feels right - virtue is its own reward. Didn't come out of the closet until I retired 5 years ago because until then I had to worry about bosses/co-workers. Now, fuck it. 26% of Americans identify as atheist and it's the fastest growing "denomination." But, the amount of hatred and judgement after I came out has been a real eye opener. What happened to love thy neighbor and love thine enemy as thyself? I rest my case, LOL.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Woot. I became agnostic 40 years ago and atheist about 10 years after that. I do right because it feels right - virtue is its own reward. Didn't come out of the closet until I retired 5 years ago because until then I had to worry about bosses/co-workers. Now, fuck it. 26% of Americans identify as atheist and it's the fastest growing "denomination." But, the amount of hatred and judgement after I came out has been a real eye opener. What happened to love thy neighbor and love thine enemy as thyself? I rest my case, LOL.

So true.  MEAgain says that grief is the last taboo.  Nope,  Declaring you are an atheist is.  I have been an atheist for 40 years, but because of my work, could never say so.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

10 hours ago, ilovemymtv said:

So true.  MEAgain says that grief is the last taboo.  Nope,  Declaring you are an atheist is.  I have been an atheist for 40 years, but because of my work, could never say so.

Yep.  BUT - it's becoming more accepted, especially with the younger people - 20's and 30's.   I call myself a Secular Humanist instead of atheist.  Put simply, it means that morals and ethics do not have to be connected to a religious set of constructs, or a deity that will punish you if you step out of line.  You can be good just because you're a good person.  

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, 27bored said:

The audience jeering Rand Paul when he said most people who make under $50K don’t pay federal income taxes made me eye-roll. He was right.

I make under 50,000. Ive always paid income tax. How can the average person possibly escape getting their check taxed?

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, Jewlmc said:

I make under 50,000. Ive always paid income tax. How can the average person possibly escape getting their check taxed?

yeah, many of my friends make less and pay a lot of tax.

I think he is way off on that and most of his ideas presented on the show.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Jewlmc said:

Same here.  I make $40,000/year and pay federal, state, & FICA taxes, as I did when I made a lot less than $40,000.  Where is he getting this from?

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Jewlmc said:

3 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, many of my friends make less and pay a lot of tax.

I think he is way off on that and most of his ideas presented on the show.

6 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Same here.  I make $40,000/year and pay federal, state, & FICA taxes, as I did when I made a lot less than $40,000.  Where is he getting this from?

Not to get too off-topic, but I think he tried to explain it and he got cut off. Basically, other than the money deducted from your check that you never see, most people making $50K usually are able to deduct enough so that they wind up being owed by the government. It’s rare to see someone who can only claim the standard deduction for longer than a year or two.

42 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Not to get too off-topic, but I think he tried to explain it and he got cut off. Basically, other than the money deducted from your check that you never see, most people making $50K usually are able to deduct enough so that they wind up being owed by the government. It’s rare to see someone who can only claim the standard deduction for longer than a year or two.

But isn't that money that we're getting deducted each month considered a payment of federal income tax?  Although, some people get a portion refunded come April 15, most people don't get FULL payment reimbursed.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, 27bored said:

But I've never made more than $50K and the money I've received as a federal tax refund doesn't even come close to amount deducted by the federal government.  Rand's numbers are way off.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, 27bored said:

What? No, you have your facts wrong. I guess if a family with a bunch of kids had an income if 50k, maybe. But he said a PERSON.  Sorry, you are wrong, and I have tax statements to prove it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Although, some people get a portion refunded come April 15, most people don't get FULL payment reimbursed.

I have a GRIFTER niece, married 4.5 times before she was 40.  She and her current husband haven't worked for ten years.  They scam the government for all benefits (oh...churches too around Christmastime).  They file their "taxes" and lie about doing various cash jobs.  Until this year they had four* kids and they always seem to get THOUSANDS of $$$ in refunds.

*The bio father of the two older kids "kidnapped" them late last year and took them back home with him (at their request and with the help of his ex-mother-in-law).

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

But isn't that money that we're getting deducted each month considered a payment of federal income tax?  Although, some people get a portion refunded come April 15, most people don't get FULL payment reimbursed.

The short answer is no, that wouldn’t be described as federal income tax. Payroll taxes aren’t the same thing.

12 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

But I've never made more than $50K and the money I've received as a federal tax refund doesn't even come close to amount deducted by the federal government.  Rand's numbers are way off.

Again: the short answer is that’s not solely income tax. If you take $50K and apply it as income with nothing but a standard deduction, you’d pay $2-3K in federal income tax. Rand’s point is valid given that most Americans don’t make that amount of money with nothing other than a standard deduction. Unless of course they do absolutely no tax planning or research and just hand off their W-2 to their mom to file at the same time she does hers, but whose fault is that?

2 hours ago, 27bored said:

Unless of course they do absolutely no tax planning or research and just hand off their W-2 to their mom to file at the same time she does hers, but whose fault is that?

Ah....my sister is the MOM of the grifter and also the tax preparer.  She said she can't prove the income they "provide" is fake, so she just fills in the number.  

10 hours ago, 27bored said:

The short answer is no, that wouldn’t be described as federal income tax. Payroll taxes aren’t the same thing.

What?  Payroll taxes include Medicare, Social security and federal income tax.

10 hours ago, 27bored said:

Again: the short answer is that’s not solely income tax. If you take $50K and apply it as income with nothing but a standard deduction, you’d pay $2-3K in federal income tax.

Nope.  You are wrong.   I have tax statements to prove it.  Rand's point is not valid.  

• Love 10
On 10/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, OpalNightstream said:

What bugs me as a vegetarian is that it’s always acceptable for meat eaters to mock and openly be grossed out by vegetarian foods to the point where it’s really just rude (I’ve heard “ewwwwwe you’re going to eat that” about tofu one too many times). Meanwhile I’m just minding my own business, never mentioning that I think what they are eating is gross to me. But the majority of the time it gets a bunch of other people going so join in with the “gross I can’t believe you eat that” comments. So I think vegetarians can be a bit sensitive to being mocked and judged all. the. time.

This is so true! I think vegetarians get this rep of being these aggressive jerks who rip the fur off little old ladies and force everyone they know to stop eating meat. I mind my own business and eat vegetables. I’m not bothering anyone who’s not interested in my lifestyle.

• Love 2