Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Fifty-year-old Dee says that at 17, she was drugged, kidnapped and forced to work in a brothel for three months — and she fears her 20-year-old daughter, Lacey, may be headed toward the same fate. She says Lacey moved out of the house at 15, has been in abusive relationships, got pregnant for the first time at 16 and is addicted to marijuana and prescription pills — a habit Lacey supports by erotic dancing. She also says Lacey has anger issues and often lashes out at family members. What does she say started her daughter’s downward spiral? And, does Dee take any ownership in the situation? Lacey’s older sister, Devin, calls Lacey a “ticking time bomb” and says her lifestyle is putting a strain on the whole family. Who does she say she blames for her sister’s behavior? Lacey says she feels betrayed and misunderstood by her family and claims she’ll never make the same mistakes as her mother, because she’s smarter. Still, she admits she abuses drugs and needs help getting her life back on track. Dr. Phil digs into Lacey’s past and uncovers a source of pain. Will she grab onto the lifeline he offers and put an end to her self-destructive behavior?

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/2197

Holy moly.  This was a shitshow of epic proportions.  Phil laces (ha!) into the mother for being a dumbass enabler and she was completely blindsided. Then the methy daughter comes on and goes on about how everyone in the world betrays her (even the McDonald's worker who forgot she didn't want onions) and that's why she does drugs (not a lot, just a little, all the time, you know, it's not a problem, but it is, but rehab is for junkies and I'm not one, but I need help, and I'm not on any now, except all the ones you found in my drug test this morning) and that's why her life isn't good.

Dr. Phil has her older sister on and she barely says anything. Lacey turns to her, glares and mouths "I warned you".  The sister looks shaken.

The mother thought Dr. Phil was going to nominate her for saint of the year.  Boy, was she shocked.

The daughter thought Dr. Phil was going to baby her and tell her she was right about everything and wave some magic wand.

The daughter is now 20 and is so angry.  Her life experiences suck big time.  She keeps putting herself into situations where bad things are inevitable.  Then she gets to cry victim. 

Phil wants to do out patient therapy with Lacey.  It will be interesting if they do a follow-up in a year.

• Love 2

I thought that Dr.Phil was right this time, offering help to the girl. She's only 20, maybe rehab and therapy will help her. I can't imagine going through losing my children like she did and coming out fine. It would drive anyone to drink, or drugs in this case. I think the mom spent too much time helping strangers, and missed what was going on in her own home, and I agree with the sister to keep her kids away from the girl. I wouldn't have wanted my kids around an addict with an anger problem either!

• Love 2

Since I'm too lazy to make a new topic every episode, I thought just a general topic would work. We can discuss pretty much any episode, and any guest or person! What do you all think?

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Would you mind if I change to thread title to " Let's Talk About Dr. Phil, The Show"?

I had negative zero sympathy for the catfish victim today.  How delusional must one be to fall for these scammers these days?  Catfishing is all over the news, internet, articles, but some people are so NEEDY that they won't believe it's happening to them.  They fall for all the catastrophic calamities that these catfish scammers cook up to get money out of their victims.  Why not just flush it down the toilet - same result.  It's gone!

I just shook my head during the "wedding dress sequence", which was a complete set up by the producers to make this poor wretch look even more pitiful, but also that she got herself in this situation. 

I wanted to shake her - she kept making this confused face as DP piled up all the evidence, like Phil was tossing out a bunch of fakery to throw her under the bus.  Lady, you threw yourself under that bus.   Then at the end, she tremulously admits that she fell for a scammer.  I bet if this Donny calls her tomorrow, she'd give him another chance.  That's how desperate this chick is.  Not ashamed to admit that the schadenfreude was delicious.

• Love 1

I had negative zero sympathy for the catfish victim today.  How delusional must one be to fall for these scammers these days?  Catfishing is all over the news, internet, articles, but some people are so NEEDY that they won't believe it's happening to them.  They fall for all the catastrophic calamities that these catfish scammers cook up to get money out of their victims.  Why not just flush it down the toilet - same result.  It's gone!

I just shook my head during the "wedding dress sequence", which was a complete set up by the producers to make this poor wretch look even more pitiful, but also that she got herself in this situation. 

I wanted to shake her - she kept making this confused face as DP piled up all the evidence, like Phil was tossing out a bunch of fakery to throw her under the bus.  Lady, you threw yourself under that bus.   Then at the end, she tremulously admits that she fell for a scammer.  I bet if this Donny calls her tomorrow, she'd give him another chance.  That's how desperate this chick is.  Not ashamed to admit that the schadenfreude was delicious.

Exactly.

I almost felt guilty for how ridiculous I thought she looked during that wedding dress sequence! Her fervor, the flushing and blushing, spinning in her pretty princess dress ...it was too much!

I understand that scammers get more and more sophisticated, but this isn't a sophisticated scam, and the lack of common sense is truly astounding.

• Love 1
(edited)

Trapped By My Controlling Husband: 

So I don't know if I just had an unusually wonderful family or what, but there is no way in hell I would put up with anything this guy is doing!!  Anyone telling me whether or not I  can shower, shop, eat or call friends, would be out of my life in a heartbeat.

Edited by CuriousParker
Added Episode Title
  • Love 1

Todays show was boring! Twin adult daughters that were mad their dad remarried and didn't give them any money!! They all were bratty and entittled. Except the new wife who was charming and almost nice to a fault.

Yesterday with the psychics I just could not figure out his angle? Is he going to make an app, so we can talk to the psychic like the doctors on call? How is Dr. Phil going to make money?

Why was Schill so hard on the Dad of the twins?  They were bratty and entitled!  Where do kids get off thinking they are due any inheritence?  Did they earn the money? Did they pay the insurance premiums?  Dad worked as a cop and you are counting his money like it's yours, just because you need some.

I get so sick of the "I'm a single mother" crap.  So you procreated.  Big deal.  Sounds like a good spay/neuter program is in order.

• Love 2

Even though today's episode is a catfish victim rerun I hadn't seen it previously. I think this is lady has squandered the most money I've seen as of yet from the catfish Dr. Phub episodes I can remember. If I was this lady's kids I would have tried to go to court to get her declared legally incompetent or something. I also would have looked into putting parental controls on her computer so she couldn't have access to that guy online anymore since she was texting him online. I would have also blocked access to the online singles sites until something could be done to make her realize what she was doing was absurd and stupid.

I'm not sure what this woman's kids did to try and stop her. I'm shocked the most at loosing her house all over being so desperate for a man. It's sad and pitiful at the same time. I want to feel sorry for her but it's hard to with all of this proof. It's sad that her self esteem was so low that she felt this was her only way to find love but $200,000 damn dollars. That's enough to buy a couple nice houses where I live.

• Love 1

Jaded- when this epi first ran, we did have a discussion about having the woman declared incompetent.  I would think any judge could see that something was terribly wrong.   It's possible, too, that the kids didn't have hard proof as to the amount & frequency.  If it were my mother, at the first blush of "an online boyfried", I would start with a P.I. and slap a bunch of parental controls on her computer!

One of my uncles received an official looking certificate that declared he had won $50,000. He told me about it and I looked it up on the Internet and sure enough it was from a recent group of scammers. I printed out the information and discussed it with him. Then I left it there so he could read it for himself. I know he read it because he he always read everything. My family was alerted after I found out he had sent the scammers some money and started looking for a new car, etc. I tried to stop it but nothing worked until Western Union refused to send the money. Only then did he stop and we never discussed it again. 

I wasn't so worried about him selling off his house or anything like that but that beautiful certificate was actually kind of awesome. I wanted to keep it to use as a template for my graphic design business. Because he grew up in an era where snail mail was king that piece of paper had believability for him. I can think of several instances where someone had tried to take advantage of him because he was older. All those times his common sense would lead him to ask questions that stopped all of that right in its tracks. Not because he was all that confident but because of experience. He had no checking account, no debit card, two credit cards and he paid his bills in person or by money order on the first of the each and every month.

So, sometimes it is not mental deficiency that leads a person to do those things. I felt so badly for the lady because the pain of being that lonely was overwhelming just for me to think about it. There is no telling but she may have been an abused spouse proned to being a doormat for her late husband. We can see that it didn't take much to get her to do the things she did. Since people do not change I think what we saw of her was who she wad. Period.

We laugh at and sometimes feel sorry for the victims of catfish scammers, but yesterday I met a woman who lost all her money and her house to one of them.  Her reason was "I thought he was for real."  I asked her if he was from Nigeria, and she said no, he was an engineer in Morocco but she did meet someone online from Nigeria.  She was smart enough to find other online victims of this guy, but not smart enough to hang on to her money.  She was very lonely.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know that today's show was a repeat, but I hadn't seen it before.  The first couple was a guy who claimed that his marriage wouldn't have imploded if it weren't for his MIL.  As the interview progressed, I became convinced that the husband was mostly to blame with his controlling and hostile behavior, while his wife and MIL were less to blame.  Then I left the room and I heard Dr. Shill talking, I think he was saying something about how to help them, but by the time I returned the show had gone to commercial break. 

I wish I was more surprised that when the show came back the first couple was gone and another couple was onstage.  With the second couple, the husband was a serial cheater and had decided that he was done cheating and wanted his wife to stop thinking he was lying to her about where he was and what he was doing.  The wife seemed to be almost completely wiped out emotionally, I got the impression that she would never be able to believe in her husband again. 

Suddenly Shill says "You have problems with your stomach, right?"  The wife says "Yes, my stomach is always upset, I have trouble sleeping, I get flashbacks about all the stuff that's happened."  Then dear Dr. Phil says "Imagine if you had an app where you could press 1 button on your phone and suddenly you were face to face with a doctor who you could talk to...." 

I just hit the mute button and shook my head.  Once again, Dr. Phil has brought troubled people on his show to use them as advertising for one of his other businesses, or the business of one of his friends or family.

I hate that man.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 1

The show concerning the gun death of the young man named Jake, it seems like this is more of a police investigation.  Don't see where Dr. Phil would fit in, unless he thought he could get the kids to admit they are guilty of something.  

I know that today's show was a repeat, but I hadn't seen it before.  The first couple was a guy who claimed that his marriage wouldn't have imploded if it weren't for his MIL.  As the interview progressed, I became convinced that the husband was mostly to blame with his controlling and hostile behavior, while his wife and MIL were less to blame.  Then I left the room and I heard Dr. Shill talking, I think he was saying something about how to help them, but by the time I returned the show had gone to commercial break. 

I wish I was more surprised that when the show came back the first couple was gone and another couple was onstage.  With the second couple, the husband was a serial cheater and had decided that he was done cheating and wanted his wife to stop thinking he was lying to her about where he was and what he was doing.  The wife seemed to be almost completely wiped out emotionally, I got the impression that she would never be able to believe in her husband again. 

Suddenly Shill says "You have problems with your stomach, right?"  The wife says "Yes, my stomach is always upset, I have trouble sleeping, I get flashbacks about all the stuff that's happened."  Then dear Dr. Phil says "Imagine if you had an app where you could press 1 button on your phone and suddenly you were face to face with a doctor who you could talk to...." 

I just hit the mute button and shook my head.  Once again, Dr. Phil has brought troubled people on his show to use them as advertising for one of his other businesses, or the business of one of his friends or family.

I hate that man.

OMG, what a low life POS. I'm convinced that Dr. Asshole doesn't give a rat's behind about any of his guests. It's all about shock value, making money and getting his ego stroked at this point. The fact that he's good friends with Oprah speaks volumes IMO. That show should be cancelled, but just remember that what goes around, comes around and he'll get his comeuppance one day.

• Love 3

Today's show "Outrageous Parenting Styles"  Repeat, 2/21/2013

"Amy is an over-protective mother who does everything she can to keep her five kids from feeling hurt or disappointed, including doing their homework and flossing their teeth, Dr. Phil tries to get her to take a step back."

Dr. Phil, 15 minutes in and already Shill is talking about "my son Jay - did you know he has his own publishing company?"

Missed this the first time it came on.  The mom is a piece of work, a truely horrible person.  Even after she cried and whined about her horrible life, I couldn't feel sorry for her.  Really, everything was all about MOM, even getting MOM help was all about MOM, not really so much about getting her to back off and let her kids floss their own damned teeth.  The closest thing to mentioning getting MOM to back off was Shill pointing out that the 15 year old boy who was begging MOM to stop doing his homework so he could get his own grades merely pointed out how amazing MOM was as a mother even though her life was absolute hell and she's got a horribly damaged child inside her that needs help.

That woman has some serious enmeshment issues with her kids.

And once again 'my son Jay' has a publishing company and Dr. Shill has a book called 'Life Codes' that 'my son Jay's' publishing company put out.  You should go get a copy.

• Love 2

i only watch this shit show because my dog and i have an ice cream break at 3 pm. This is like a Jerry Springer show trying for respectability. (At least with JS, you know most of those people are acting... i had a friend who was supposed to go on, and they totally scripted the whole thing , like when to pull hair, etc). DP tries to cloak his vaudeville act in respectability with a subdued/semi-tasteful set. The show obviously spends many hours on hair , makeup and wardrobe for these whacko pieces of trash to make them seem almost "normal". Many of them seem to be mentally unblanced, but does that stop DP from exploiting these pathetic creatures? Not a bit.He's tried to legitimize himself as an actual expert pyschologist, yet he is the modern day equivalent of those old televangelical faith healers.

• Love 3

Just now watching the "catfishing" show.  By no means am I saying this woman did not do something horrible, but what kind of man plans a funeral and pays for a casket for someone he has never met.  

Watching the new episode yesterday I can only conclude that Judy McCowan is an idiot who raised idiot spawn. After her son was found guilty of murder Ms. McCowan stated in the Courtroom in front of the dead man's family, "I am more proud of Conner now than ever before" and blamed Mr. Singler's roommate for rushing Mr. Singler to the hospital by automobile rather than calling an ambulance even though her cowardly convict son did nothing and neither did the other half of the idiot DNA fest, his father, when he learned his son had stabbed Mr. Singler. None of them even bothered to alert the authorities and they have the nerve to blame Mr. Singler's death on the person who found him and actually rushed him to the hospital? Blame the roommate when the doctor who attended Mr. Singler said the stab wound re received to the heart would have killed him whether or not an ambulance had been called? The doctor testified that Mr. Singler was "basically dead" when he arrived at the ER and had about a 10% chance of surviving surgery, which he didn't. If it truly was self defense and Mr. McCowan had called 911 immediately maybe Mr. Singler would have survived but Mr. McCowan, and his sister, made their own beds and now they have to lie in them.

I just finished watching "A Mother Consumed by Rage" and am disgusted by Dr. Phil's reaction to the abused husband.  The wife admits to being verbally and physically abusive to the husband as well as to her son.  She finds her daughter to be perfect.  Dr. Phil's comments and questions to the abused husband border on medical malpractice:  What's the matter with you?  It's time for you to man up.  You're an ex-Marine; why aren't you a leader?

Would Dr. Phil have ever talked to an abused female this way?  Hell, no.  

Granted, the husband was no peach, but he doesn't deserve abuse from his wife and then the pile on of abuse from Dr. Phil.  I swear I watch this show just to get my blood pressure raised.

• Love 2

Stewgirl- I've noticed that $chill is often passive agressive with men, especially military.  Since he never served, I think there's a little envy there.

All things being equal, he should have asked the man what happened to him that he believed he deserved that treatment.   Obviously, it would be the same dynamics regardless of gender - bruised self esteem from childhood.  But $chill treated the husband with disdain.

• Love 1

I just watched the "Bait and Switch Wife" episode and...I have some thoughts

First of all, it's interesting how Dr. Phil has actual opinions/judgments when the man is clearly at fault, but when it's a batshit crazy woman on stage, he phrases his comments as mere observations, you know, we're just having a lil chat. With men, he doesn't mind berating and embarrassing them.

But y'all already knew that.

The husband looked like a bad guy because he somewhat shamelessly talked about how unhappy and disgusted he was with his wife and how he talks to her and cheated on her. And the guy did come off like an ass with little to no couth or shame. I mean, even if that's how you truly feel, damn...

BUT.

There's a point of view that Dr. Phil couldn't explore because 1) he looks at women as fragile flowers that need saving, and 2) because his mostly female audience wouldn't go for it. Ben said several times about how she doesn't do anything but sit around on the couch, she's overweight and doesn't want to lose weight, she doesn't talk, she doesn't show him affection, she barely acts like she wants to be around him. And he feels that he's a catch, so he goes out and finds women who also find him attractive.

That strikes me as she's a frigid wife who's checked out of the relationship. Now, I'm not assigning blame or even trying to infer into why, but I think that's why she's still with him even though he talks fucked up to her. I think some part of her knows she's pushed him away and he doesn't feel connected to her. I mean, Dr. Phil tried to make it seem implausibly stupid, like, "well how can you expect her to be affectionate towards you if you call her fat and disgusting?!" It's not that simple. He's probably gotten to the point where he doesn't give a fuck about her feelings because she's pushed him away. So now when he says what he does, it's coming from a place of judgment and resentment, and not concern.

It kind of reminded me of the Fitz and Mellie relationship on Scandal. Fitz had this tawdry affair almost entirely in front of Mellie, and for the longest time people didn't understand why she put up with it. But it wasn't until he found out she and his Vice President were sleeping together that he told her that she pushed him away. She wasn't sexual. She was just "different" after having her baby. Of course, Mellie hid the fact that she was raped by her stepfather from Fitz, so he didn't understand why, but it kind of put things in context.

I figure this couple is similar. She was just different after having their son, and she didn't express this to him. She just got slovenly and kind of lazy and unmotivated, introverted, cold. He probably tried to see what was wrong, but after awhile, he just stopped caring. He didn't want to leave her with his newborn son, but he didn't feel anything for her. And her becoming less and less physically attractive and affectionate just made him resentful because she wanted him to be committed to her but she wasn't really fun or sexual or attractive or attracted. So he went out and found some women who actually seemed to enjoy his company and his time. It happens.

It's not really her fault that he strayed, but she kind of fucked up her relationship by not being honest about her concerns and emotions and trying to be connected to him. One thing I think a lot of women don't understand about many men is that men can turn the entire fuck off very quickly. I think when women have an emotional connection with a man, it takes a minute to disconnect, so to speak, even when he's being a bastard. Men don't connect as deeply and don't stay in love as devotedly and thus, when he concludes you're no longer worth the effort, he will disengage. It's not something to be proud of, but I think this guy is only with her because of their son. He feels something for her as the mother of his son, and just as a human being, but his partner, wife, spouse, confidant? Nope.

• Love 2

Okay- I saw today's show the first time around and my BS meter went off again today.

Rich, pale doughy whitebread kid with hipster glasses claiming he's some type of gang banger.  I think he was just some goofy wanna be, looking to f with his folks and play badass.

DrSchill claimed at end of show, there was no basis to the murder claims, so why did it get to film in the first place?  And if Schill was skeptical in the beginning, why didn't he call the kid out on it?

I'll hate watch the new season, just to see what nonsense he dredges up.

• Love 1

Sept.3, 2014 "A Love Triangle"

Kayla's baby's father refuses to return the child to her unless she dumps her fiance and comes back to him

This episode was totally misnamed, it should've been called " Bitter ex is jealous and is using child as a weapon". Shawn keeps crowing that he has "proof" of the abuse, that the police, cps and Dr. Phil couldn't find. What a loon!

Edited by CuriousParker

And there was no resolution! Just the usual crap about getting them professional help. I feel bad for their little boy, no-one deserves parents like that. And on a shallow note, was it just me, or did Shawn look like he was sucking a lemon the whole show?

• Love 2

And there was no resolution! Just the usual crap about getting them professional help. I feel bad for their little boy, no-one deserves parents like that. And on a shallow note, was it just me, or did Shawn look like he was sucking a lemon the whole show?

He had a VERY weird mouth.  At first I thought he was the nut . . . then I realized they were both nuts.  That boyfriend should get the hell out.

• Love 2

I love how the installation of gigantic screens that are so state of the art for now qualifies as some grand set makeover. 

The guy who was on yesterday who's accused of having more to do with that woman going missing in Aruba was a real winner too.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

The parents in the Nanny story deserved some of what they got. It is unreasonable to ask anyone to watch 3 children for only room and board. 3 children is a handful for a 64-year old woman. The mother was a bit of a snob. She wanted something for nothing and instead got nothing for something!

Of course, the nanny was a nut case too.

• Love 4

The parents in the Nanny story deserved some of what they got.

The rich mom mentioned starting dinner so many times I think she planned to leave most of the cooking to the nanny.  Seriously unlikable person hires elderly nut case.  I was really against the "nanny" when I first heard about this but it sounds like it's true she had nowhere to go and they cut off her food and utilities.  Without a paycheck what is she supposed to do.  She has a valid point she should not be on call 12 hours a day.  Not that I'm really defending her...

I don't have the stomach for the religious wife spanker on Wednesday, sorry Phil. In fact, they are showing several previews and I'm not interested in any of those people.  This is turning into tabloid tv.

I could go on a long general rant about how Phil has only recently acknowledged there is such a thing as depression rather than expecting people to man up, woman up, but only if it is in cahoots with that head shrinking company that promises to use every available "medical" device on you. I'd be surprised if insurance covers any of it.  Surely he gets some profits from pimping that business.

I have only been able to tolerate watching one of the new shows so far. I barely made it through it though and it was the one with the guy who wrote a book about the female travel companion he was with who went missing in Aruba. I agree that it seems more like tabloid television this season than anything else. The previews for upcoming shows and the website descriptions of them are letting me know when not to watch more than making me more interested in watching.

• Love 1

I had read about the nanny case in the newspaper but after seeing everyone on Dr. Phil I'm on the nanny's side. What really got me was the note the mom wrote where she instructed the nanny to remember that she was "hired help." Uh, no. Hired help implies you actually hired someone and are paying them wages and social security and all that good stuff. Mom said she was looking for a retired someone to be part of the family. Really bait and switch there. I wonder what kind of "business" the fruit loop dingus of a mom was trying to start? I found her odious.

• Love 2

Just checked YouTube and all the vids are still there, even after what Phil told her. She does mug & smile a lot for the camera. Famewhore doesn't even begin to describe this bitch.

I'm not surprised. I'm sure the idiot is still filming videos on a daily basis. I hope that kid can get some help and whip his mother's ass for those videos when he's about 16 years old. I mean, what kind of parent wants to show the world a child's BAD behavior? His behavior says more about the parent than it does the child IMO. I still think CPS should be contacted.

This morning's Dr. Phil repeat on the O Network featured the manipulative psycho grandma putting her daughter through hell and suing for visitation of her 14-year-old grandson. The kid would be 21 now. I sure do wish Dr. Phil would revisit this story and ask the young man his perspective (Dr. Phil was on one of his I will not allow the child on the show kicks which he's very inconsistent in application). I hope the boy with the tantrums gets to live full time with his dad (as long as the stepmom stays around).

• Love 3