Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

An old favorite episode on OWN this morning.

Three adult children (two of whom are married, one of whom has three kids of her own) move back in with Mom and Dad.  None of them work, or if they do, they are not contributing to the household expenses.  ("We're saving up to get our own place.")  

Mom and Dad still have four young children at home, so there are currently 13 people living in a trailer.  And the park manager has instituted eviction procedures because they are in such flagrant violation of the number of people who can live in one trailer.

They don't do chores, buy groceries, help with utilities, etc.

After allowing the adult children to make complete fools of themselves, Dr. Phil showed them a live feed from the trailer.  Moving men were taking out all of the adult kids' belongings, and Dr. Phil was going to pay rent for them for 30 days (all in one place), getting them OUT of the trailer and allowing them to have time to find their own living arrangements.

The adult children were not amused.  One of them was REALLY pissed.  We just laughed and laughed and laughed.

I remember that episode!!   It was truly entertaining (unlike any of those virus stuff he is attempting to do to keep the show going.). I guess he is still getting those commercials in so he gets paid if that's his goal.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

An old favorite episode on OWN this morning.

Three adult children (two of whom are married, one of whom has three kids of her own) move back in with Mom and Dad.  None of them work, or if they do, they are not contributing to the household expenses.  ("We're saving up to get our own place.")  

Mom and Dad still have four young children at home, so there are currently 13 people living in a trailer.  And the park manager has instituted eviction procedures because they are in such flagrant violation of the number of people who can live in one trailer.

They don't do chores, buy groceries, help with utilities, etc.

After allowing the adult children to make complete fools of themselves, Dr. Phil showed them a live feed from the trailer.  Moving men were taking out all of the adult kids' belongings, and Dr. Phil was going to pay rent for them for 30 days (all in one place), getting them OUT of the trailer and allowing them to have time to find their own living arrangements.

The adult children were not amused.  One of them was REALLY pissed.  We just laughed and laughed and laughed.

I remember this show too. The older sister (sitting on the left with the teal sweater on) was such a snot. She and her husband(?) with their two children “lost” their house so moved in with Mom and Dad plus siblings. She got mad when Shill showed the moving van. She said she didn’t want to live with her siblings-she wanted her “OWN HOUSE”. Well, get a damn job and pay for it, bitch. I could not believe these grown people mooching off of their parents but really couldn’t believe that Mom and Dad allowed them to do it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I could not believe these grown people mooching off of their parents but really couldn’t believe that Mom and Dad allowed them to do it!

Something was said during the show about the parents taking in foster children since their kids left the home when they became adults.

Can't you just see "Miss Entitled" on the far left saying something like, "I can't believe you took in these kids that aren't even related to us, but you want us and your grandchildren to sleep on the street!"?

This woman he's got on today? "We certainly didn't expect to have 5 KIDS!"

Duh! Maybe somebody outta explain to Miz Mensa about how this whole thing works. Amazing how many fucking idiots don't know how birth control operates! 

If I had to contend with kids...no, let me rephrase..even "one kid" would be too much right now. I know the police would figure into it at some point.

Where do they find these bloody people?!!

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

RIP Dr $hit

Same here.  I finally told my DVD thing to delete Dr. Phil from my list of stuff to record.  These shows he is doing are truly awful.  But boy those commercials were still running.  Money.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Same here.  I finally told my DVD thing to delete Dr. Phil from my list of stuff to record.  These shows he is doing are truly awful.  But boy those commercials were still running.  Money.

They don't call him Dr. Shill for nothing! I no longer watch or record his shows either. The last couple of years b ut particularly this year, he has been phoning it in...sourcing everything out to either Coach Mike or the PNP Center. He needs to retire and go back to Texas...or work full time for Robin's skincare line.

• Love 6

Hopping on new to the dr phil thread to vent. He is doing a show called "Covid 19 - Moms Gone Mad". Nice idea in theory to help moms at home now. But he is all judgy towards one mom that he says "catastrophizes" (or something like that) because she used phrases like "my worst nightmare" , etc.  to describe the situation at home right now. 

Are you kidding me?? SHE is "catastrophizing" the situation? Look at the title of the show- "moms gone mad". That pisses me off.

Both moms have husbands that seem to be not involved with the kids at all.

then there is a mom of 5 kids under age 10 who is losing her shit because she describes herself as"not maternal at all". So why the heck did you have five kids?!?

end of rant. Back to the hallmark channel! 

Edited by seasons
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

They don't call him Dr. Shill for nothing! I no longer watch or record his shows either. The last couple of years b ut particularly this year, he has been phoning it in...sourcing everything out to either Coach Mike or the PNP Center. He needs to retire and go back to Texas...or work full time for Robin's skincare line.

If he's not bragging about his many, many accomplishments and all the people he's helped, then he's promoting his sons and whatever the hell they're up to - besides marrying what appears to be a pair of Las Vegas "party girls" - he's flogging his book/books, now his podcasts and of course, Robin's miracle skin products. And he never forgets to get the "I'm a forensic psychologist" mentioned, at least once.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, seasons said:

then there is a mom of 5 kids under age 10 who is losing her shit because she describes herself as"not maternal at all". So why the heck did you have five kids?!?

I caught part of that one: she said she grew up in a Christian family and was one of seven kids; that gave me the vibe that she only had kids herself because she was likely taught that she was "supposed to" have kids after getting married.

• Useful 1

Funny. I’m finally enjoying this show and have gone back to recording it. The doc yesterday from the Netflix pandemic film was incredible and far more interesting than catfishes....

9 hours ago, Dahlia said:

Funny. I’m finally enjoying this show and have gone back to recording it. The doc yesterday from the Netflix pandemic film was incredible and far more interesting than catfishes....

Most likely I will return to recording when he resumes regular programming.  Just don't like the present format at all.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Most likely I will return to recording when he resumes regular programming.  Just don't like the present format at all.  

I won't post them from Zap2It until the descriptions come up, but the titles of next week's episodes make me think they're going to start airing the shows they filmed without an audience (the article I posted at the beginning of March said that at that point they had taped 12 audience-free shows).

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Next week's shows. The descriptions for all five shows are up on Zap2It, but I decided to post them from his website instead:

4/27: Our 10-Year-Old Son Is Controlling Our Entire Lives

[Previously recorded in studio before social distancing.]

Denise and her husband, Jarid, say they are extremely concerned about their 10-year-old son, Zak, who screams, curses, punches and tells family members he wants them to die. Zak was diagnosed with autism two years ago, and they believe his temper tantrums seem to be getting worse. So, Denise and Jarid moved in with Jarid’s parents, Carol and Brad, for extra hands-on help with Zak, but was that the right move? Dr. Phil brings in a team of experts to help Zak and his family, including psychiatrist Dr. Charles Sophy and Board Certified Behavior Analyst Megan St. Clair [is she new?]. Find out what Megan learns after she makes a home visit to get more findings to bring back to Dr. Phil and Dr. Sophy.

4/28: Parents & Their Gen Z Son Struggle Under One Roof

As COVID-19 spreads across the country, Gen Zers are forced to move back home. Karen and her husband, Chuck, say they are under tremendous stress since their unmotivated 22-year-old son, Charlie, moved home and now stays up all night to play video games and sleeps past noon. By his own admission, Charlie has been "sleeping more than usual" but believes his parents, especially his mother, needs to stop nagging and acting extra "psycho." [Something tells me he's projecting.]

4/29: Tara's Troubles

[Previously recorded in studio before social distancing.]

Tara emailed Dr. Phil saying America needed to hear her story. She claims her husband, Mike, is a sociopath who controls her every move. She says he doesn't want her to succeed as an artist or teacher, and videotapes her constantly to make her look mentally ill or like a drunk. Mike claims Tara is manic, unstable, and might be bipolar. He says she degrades and embarrasses him in front of everyone, but he married for better or for worse. Can Dr. Phil help these spouses at war for the sake of their children?

4/30: Blended Family Breakdown

As COVID-19 continues to impact and change our world, so does the way it impacts family dynamics. Dr. Phil meets a blended family of five from Florida, each of whom have been affected by COVID-19 in very different ways. Dr. Phil has a frank and honest conversation with father and husband Tom, who says the media has blown the virus out of proportion, while his wife, Jill, says she is frantically worried Tom may fall ill. Dr. Phil also meets Tom and Jill’s adult children, Grace and Connor, who say living at home in lockdown is causing a lot of tension. Then, Dr. Phil speaks with Tom’s daughter, Brandi, who is still coming to terms with the tragic loss of her mother only a month ago. Can Dr. Phil give Brandi the guidance she needs to get through this dark and painful time? Tune in to find out!

5/1: Should I Marry My Russian Bride-to-Be?

Being in a long-distance relationship is hard enough for Mark Anthony and his Russian fiancée, Marina. She lives in Russia, and he’s in the United States. To top it off, the coronavirus pandemic is making this couple wonder when they will ever see each other in person again. They had plans to marry this May, but now, Mark Anthony says their relationship is strained because they don’t have the same priorities. He wants to know from Dr. Phil if they are ready to tie the knot. Does Dr. Phil give this couple his blessing?

7 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Board Certified Behavior Analyst Megan St. Clair [is she new?]

Halo Behavioral Health in CA.  I think he has used them before?

Can Dr. Phil help these spouses at war for the sake of their children?

Wonder which one he is going to throw under the bridge?

but now, Mark Anthony says their relationship is strained because they don’t have the same priorities.

That synopsis makes no sense at all.  What does the virus have to do with now not having the same priorities?  Surely for both of them it is to remain healthy right now?

On today’s episode, Dr. Phil looked legitimately spooked by Tara. He managed to ciruitously call her a “nutball.”  He cut her off from going off on rambling tangents at every opportunity. They allow her around students? Or is that also one of her delusions?

• Love 1

Next week includes another serving of catfish.

5/4: 46-Year-Old Moocher Dad Sleeping in a Bunk Bed

Kelly's father allowed her ex-husband, Allen, to move into his home after their divorce, and he has been living there for five years, sleeping in a bunk bed, claiming to look for jobs, and not being an active parent to their two children.

5/5: COVID Conflict: Confined With My Ex!

Dianne says she's stuck self-isolating and sharing a bed with her ex-husband Ron, with whom she can never have a civilized conversation without triggering an argument.

5/6: Help Me Prove to My Mom She's Been Love-Scammed Out of $250,000

Norma says she has come out of retirement, after her second husband died, and spent her life savings to fund three online boyfriends she's never met because they told her they are all stuck overseas.

5/7: Norma's Online Boyfriends: The Truth Behind the Pictures

Dr. Phil finds out more about Norma's online boyfriends, including Jeff, who claims he's been sleeping in a church in Cairo, Egypt, for months and bought a ticket home with Norma's money; Dr. Phil helps her see the truth.

5/8: Feeding My Addiction

Mike has a beautiful home, a fiancee, two children, and an opioid addiction; author Dan Peres shares his new memoir, "As Needed for Pain," in which he reveals his addiction to Vicodin after a back injury.

• Useful 1
On 5/1/2020 at 1:07 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

5/6: Help Me Prove to My Mom She's Been Love-Scammed Out of $250,000

Norma says she has come out of retirement, after her second husband died, and spent her life savings to fund three online boyfriends she's never met because they told her they are all stuck overseas.

Dr. Phil finds out more about Norma's online boyfriends, including Jeff, who claims he's been sleeping in a church in Cairo, Egypt, for months and bought a ticket home with Norma's money; Dr. Phil helps her see the truth.

Guess I better get the DVD going again.  Thanks!

• LOL 1

Allen? You are one "contract job" away from ending up on the street and as a human being...especially as a MAN, you have failed miserably on all accounts. You are pathetic and if that were my Father, letting my useless leech POS of an ex live in his house, under those circumstances, not only would I disown him but I would sit down with a lawyer and find a way to get that asshole out of there for good! Couple that with the typical deadbeat Dad shit like missing support payments etc and I'm sure there isn't some sort of legal recourse. At least take his lazy ass to court about the support money if anything else!!! Shit lady...you're almost as bad as he is!! The stupid off that one is strong.

• Love 2

I somehow caught a clip of the 22 year old guy who is playing video games at night and sleeping to (gasp!) noon while staying with his parents during a pandemic. What the hell else is he supposed to be doing? Everything is closed, he can't see friends, no one is hiring. If you are writing Dr. Phil because your son is playing video games when we've all been told to stay home then something is wrong with you.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

I love catfish episodes.  I missed the first episode of Norma's story, but was able to catch the second part.  The same way that profilers can give a description of a serial killer, these catfish victims have their own checklist:  older, widowed, using dating sites, have some money, needy for love/attention/has a savior complex.   This woman is trying to juggle 3 guys and can't figure out that that something must be very wrong if all of them are stuck overseas and need her money to get out.   I can't tell if she is a narcissist who finds herself to be irresistible to these men or she is so needy that she will overlook the most obvious lies/red flags.   I have no sympathy for these victims and I hated how she got so beaten down when Phil showed her overwhelming evidence even after their families have tried to get them to see the scam.  That's my trigger for despising the victims - they won't listen to the family that loves them and get all sappy after Phil finally gets them on board.  You lose my sympathy at this point.

It's sad that there are people so needy who want love so badly that they seem to lose their sense but it's 2020 and you can't be that naive, damn it. 

EDIT:  After seeing the aftershow credit scene with Norma's son calling the scammers, I got the feeling that she may be lured back by some sweet talk by at least one of her "boyfriends".  She just seems so lonely and needing of attention (from THREE men) that she won't be able to give up the feeling she got when speaking to her long distance lovers,

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1

Next week: a daughter on drugs, two "went-froms" (one with another daughter on drugs) and a couple trying to save their home:

5/11: When Being Daddy's Girl Goes Too Far

Cheryl says her ex-husband, Dave, did drugs with their daughter Cassie and received money that she earned through prostitution; Cassie leaves the studio an hour before the taping and runs down the street to a liquor store, with staffers chasing her.

5/12: Will Cassie Keep Running or Will She Finally Meet Dr. Phil?

Dr. Phil meets 28-year-old Cassie, who admits to being a drug addict since high school and using drugs with her father.

5/13: From College Scholarship to Stealing, Smoking & Living in the Car

Deena says that since formerly overachieving daughter Karenna started hanging out with her boyfriend, Tommie, last year, she's been on a downward spiral of smoking weed, lying, stealing and getting fired from jobs.

5/14: From Hollywood Body Double to Force Feeding Frenzy

Ten years ago, Suzy says, she developed a mysterious illness that leaves her shaking, trembling, convulsing, and having to force-feed herself more than 7,000 calories a day to stop her attacks.

5/15: Debt Collectors at the Door: Can These Fighting Spouses Save Their Home?

Christy learned her house was almost in foreclosure because husband Earnest had stopped paying the mortgage; he says she is at fault because she is a hoarder and doesn't cook, clean, parent their kids, or help out with the home expenses.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

5/15: Debt Collectors at the Door: Can These Fighting Spouses Save Their Home?

Christy learned her house was almost in foreclosure because husband Earnest had stopped paying the mortgage; he says she is at fault because she is a hoarder and doesn't cook, clean, parent their kids, or help out with the home expenses.

Sounds like a train wreck!

(edited)
On 5/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Sounds like a train wreck!

The trainwreck has to wait until next Thursday because tomorrow's episode is now this:

Exclusive: Ahmaud Arbery's Family Speaks Out

The family of Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old Georgia man, say he was simply out for an afternoon jog when he was shot and killed by two men in a pickup truck.

He's almost like an ambulance chaser when he does this.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

The trainwreck has to wait until next Thursday because tomorrow's episode is now this:

How right you are! An Ambulance chaser he is for sure. Is there never enough money for him and his sorry family?! Shame, shame on this family.

• Love 1

Just watched the lady who has to eat continually or has seizures.  I suspected within the first 5 minutes that she was just a little higher than normal on the nutty scale.

Dr. Phil's wrap-up confirmed it.  And then - unless I missed it - they didn't even show him shaking her hand as he was leaving the stage.  The look on his face while walking out with Robin was, "Well, I just wasted an hour of my life that I'll never get back."  And the look on her face was, "He looks like he knows he just wasted an hour of his life that he'll never get back."

• LOL 2

Other than the episode that was originally supposed to be on tomorrow, next week also includes what is probably the first-ever three-part catfish episode and a teenage boy looking for love:

5/18: A Dr. Phil Catfish Investigation: My Mom Is Being Scammed

Lois' daughter and sister say she sacrificed her 37-year marriage and retirement savings for fictional online love; Lois says she is happily engaged to a man she met online and she wants her family to accept her fiancé -- who is stuck in Africa.

5/19: A Dr. Phil Catfish Investigation: What's Really Inside Lois' Safe?

Lois says she met with an associate of one of her ex-fiancés, The General, and received something very valuable that she now keeps in a safe; a Secret Service agent helps analyze the safe's contents; Dr. Phil locates another of Lois' former fiancés.

5/20: A Dr. Phil Catfish Investigation: Where Is Paul Shaw?

Dr. Phil takes the search to Nigeria to locate Lois' current fiancé, "Paul Shaw"; Lois believes he is stuck in Africa and asks Dr. Phil to fly him to the U.S. so they can start their future together.

5/21: Debt Collectors at the Door: Can These Fighting Spouses Save Their Home?

Christy says her husband, Earnest, stopped paying the mortgage on their home in order to torture her; he says the problem is that she is a hoarder who doesn't cook, clean, or even parent their daughters, and she refuses to help with home expenses.

5/22: 25 Dating Apps & Desperate for Love: Our Teen's Out of Control!

Tina says her now 18-year-old adopted son, Evan, steals, lies and has engaged in questionable and dangerous relationships; she says she and her husband have given him everything, but he's so desperate for love, he has downloaded 25 dating apps.

Just watching a rerun from May, 2020 with Cassie the drug/alcohol addict and her parents. 

Her behavior on the show was extremely bizarre. Beyond alcohol consumption and meth. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this? 

Is it possible Cassie was "playing it up" somewhat for the cameras? Or is she on every drug known to addicts AND she's mentally ill? 

18 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Thanks for letting me know!

I almost hate to admit it, but Wagon Train comes on at the same time as Dr. Phil and I've been recording that every day.  It is so much better than Dr. Phil.  

If ya'll are young you aren't going to remember Wagon Train.   Flint McCollough is so much easier on the eyes than Dr. P.   And his ladies always had some meat on their bones.

• Love 3

This Dr. Phil show on Ahmaud Arbery-his mom has told Shill several times on camera that she cannot bear to watch the videos and that bastard just won't let it go. He goes on and on describing what is in the video-that she has plainly said is too painful for her to see. He is terrible..then he has to tell us about how he is trained to read body language and can SEE microaggressions-I guess he has a microaggression microscope or some shit. When I heard they were going on this shitty show, I knew it would be a mistake.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

This Dr. Phil show on Ahmaud Arbery-his mom has told Shill several times on camera that she cannot bear to watch the videos and that bastard just won't let it go. He goes on and on describing what is in the video-that she has plainly said is too painful for her to see. He is terrible..then he has to tell us about how he is trained to read body language and can SEE microaggressions-I guess he has a microaggression microscope or some shit. When I heard they were going on this shitty show, I knew it would be a mistake.

Final proof that he is done, Plastic Robin is done, the “boys” are done and we need to stop watching this travesty once and for all. Done.

• Love 3
On 5/15/2020 at 7:26 AM, chenoa333 said:

Just watching a rerun from May, 2020 with Cassie the drug/alcohol addict and her parents. 

Her behavior on the show was extremely bizarre. Beyond alcohol consumption and meth. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this? 

Is it possible Cassie was "playing it up" somewhat for the cameras? Or is she on every drug known to addicts AND she's mentally ill?

Cassie's behavior was definitely bizarre and unsettling. There could be some mental illness there or could be the effects of really heavy drug/alcohol usage.

I'm not a doctor so... 

I'm also not a court mandated reporter. I would say watch Dr. Phil to learn about that but he never mentions such a thing. 🤣

• LOL 1
36 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Cassie's behavior was definitely bizarre and unsettling. There could be some mental illness there or could be the effects of really heavy drug/alcohol usage.

I'm not a doctor so... 

I'm also not a court mandated reporter. I would say watch Dr. Phil to learn about that but he never mentions such a thing. 🤣

Great input HookedOnTV. I wonder if that behavior (which was really "out there") is indicative of an addict who requires lifelong treatment.

I don't go to the Dr Phil website so I have no idea if they give us updates. If Phil is on his 2000th (?) show, I'd be surprised if all of these guests have an update on where they've gotten in life.

• Love 1

So I watched Monday's Catfish episode: part 1 of Lois, who is yet again another delusional woman for whom I have no sympathy. Lois is an absolute idiot. I get that people are desperate. I am in my 50's and without a significant other. However, I'll be damned if I start sending money to strange guys who profess to be stranded in a foreign country with suitcases of gold and jewels. I mean COME ON. And request to be called "The General." Why don't these people listen to ANY of their loved ones or friends? 

And I'm sorry but something seems to be up with Lois. Her manner of speaking was off putting and they had to subtitle her several times. Apologies for any offense but she seems on the slow side or has some sort of problem. 

Let's see what Part 2 reveals today. 

• Love 3

And I'm sorry but something seems to be up with Lois

On the second installment, she seems slightly doped up. But yeah, something is making her seem on the slow side.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LuciaMia said:

On the second installment, she seems slightly doped up. But yeah, something is making her seem on the slow side.

I think I remember her "whistling" sister say on Monday's show that they grew up sheltered and that she thinks it's the reason why her sister was falling for such an obvious scam. If I'm right, I'd say it's more of a combination of naivete and always wanting to get the last word/not wanting to admit they're wrong.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, hookedontv said:

So I watched Monday's Catfish episode: part 1 of Lois, who is yet again another delusional woman for whom I have no sympathy. Lois is an absolute idiot. I get that people are desperate. I am in my 50's and without a significant other. However, I'll be damned if I start sending money to strange guys who profess to be stranded in a foreign country with suitcases of gold and jewels. I mean COME ON. And request to be called "The General." Why don't these people listen to ANY of their loved ones or friends? 

And I'm sorry but something seems to be up with Lois. Her manner of speaking was off putting and they had to subtitle her several times. Apologies for any offense but she seems on the slow side or has some sort of problem. 

Let's see what Part 2 reveals today. 

I am also in my 50s and single. I actually enjoy it (husband died after a lengthy battle with cancer last year, I was exhausted and emotionally drained). I have had men try to facebook friend me or try to start a conversation on words with friends and I shut that s*** down immediately. Also, almost every fake facebook friend is formulary: Attractive guy in a uniform or in a foreign country, brand new FB profile with two or three photos and no or few friends. I mean...how are women falling for that?

As for Lois, if she was a functional person prior to her divorce, I wonder if she needs some sort of neurological work up? Because NOBODY with life experience and critical thinking skills believes there are suitcases full of diamonds. She may WANT to believe it, but she can't actually believe it. The paper money was just beyond. Money is printed on cloth, not printer paper you dumbass. 

At any rate, I will be watching tomorrow because I am a glutton for punishment AND I am in my final week off from having COVID and bored AF.

• Love 8

I just watched part 2 of the catfish episode and I think there's no hope for Lois.  She is not working with a full deck and no amount of Phil therapy is going to fix her problem... looking at her crazy rolling eyes was making me feel loopy.  My jaw dropped at that blank $100 bill scam, mainly because Lois just sat there in the face of all evidence and mumbles "I don't know" to all of Phil's questions.  Her daughter should just accept the idea that Mom has checked out of reality and is on a quest to find the next "love of her life" and she will always find an excuse why these men cant't get to her. 

I know there's a third part but from what I've seen so far, I can't see Lois coming around to reality.  I'm going to watch just to see her reaction when this "Paul Shaw" comes out.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I just watched part 2 of the catfish episode and I think there's no hope for Lois.  She is not working with a full deck and no amount of Phil therapy is going to fix her problem... looking at her crazy rolling eyes was making me feel loopy.  My jaw dropped at that blank $100 bill scam, mainly because Lois just sat there in the face of all evidence and mumbles "I don't know" to all of Phil's questions.  Her daughter should just accept the idea that Mom has checked out of reality and is on a quest to find the next "love of her life" and she will always find an excuse why these men cant't get to her. 

I know there's a third part but from what I've seen so far, I can't see Lois coming around to reality.  I'm going to watch just to see her reaction when this "Paul Shaw" comes out.

I just watched Part 2 of Lois too (lunchtime on my couch for quarantine) and there really is no hope for Lois. You're so right - in the face of evidence, she just kept mumbling "I don't know" and "when I was in the hotel it changed to $100 bill." Lois even answered "I don't know" when Dr. Phil showed her the size discrepancy between the "white money" and the "real money." He even pushed her and said "what do you mean you don't know, you're looking at it." 

I really wanted to slap her into reality but there's truly no hope. Lois is truly not all there, with her mumbling and weird way of speaking. Something is off with her. I couldn't imagine being either the daughter or the sister - HOW FRUSTRATING. 

Must be nice to go through life saying "I don't know" when faced with questions and concerns and blatant facts that someone is doing you wrong. You know she still believes that the guy they talked to whose photos were stolen and he told her "that's not me!" is still the guy. Lois refuses to believe otherwise. 

I'll watch Part 3 tonight or tomorrow lunch, but I'm sure I'll be yelling at the TV again!

• Love 2

Sadly, there's no law in the USA against being stupid and gullible.  It's a pretty high bar to have someone declared incompetent so you can take over their financial affairs, so I'm not sure what her family can do to stop her.

Wasn't she married (37 years?) when this first began?  I wonder what her ex-husband thinks about all this.  Hopefully, she doesn't have access to HIS retirement funds or other assets.  

• Love 4

I have a feeling that Lois is in the throes of a very deep depression. Being on meds may explain the slowness and flat affect. I was a little confused about the timeline. Did Lois get divorced and turned to the internet or did she start having internet relationships and that was the cause of her divorce?

Daughter seemed to be smart and logical. I think she would have mentioned that mom had long standing issues. I don't think it's about growing up sheltered. To me, Lois seems like someone who has had a mental collapse and "finding love" has juist become  fixation. Her daughter needs to establish a conservatorship. Lois can't make any decisions. I'm guessing that there's way more to the story than a divorcee who gets catfished. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I'll watch Part 3 tonight or tomorrow lunch, but I'm sure I'll be yelling at the TV again!

Rest your vocal cords before watching because you definitely will.

ETA: And if you hate high-pitched valley girl voices, the segment afterwards with the mom getting help from one of MySonJay's companies will also make you want to scream as well (the spokeswoman seriously let out a "YES-uh!" at one point).

(edited)

Usually when they run a catfish episode, I watch with a sense of glee and superiority as I watch the victim make dumb choices.  My usual mindset is "if you're too dumb to know better, sucks to be you".  I realized that I don't feel that for Lois - I kind of pity her because she is obviously mentally incompetent and watching her be in a fog and getting ripped off is disconcerting.  I haven't watched part 3 yet but I just wondered something - has Phil every offered a catfish victim some kind of mental health treatment at the end of an episode?

On another note, I was listening to the Dr Phil podcast on Chris Watts and Phil gave a psychological breakdown of those women who marry/get engaged to/sympathize with prisoners.  He had 3-4 theories and one was the savior complex.  His explanation for this mindset fits pretty much like what a lot of these catfish victims are like - they need someone to "save".   I think some of them are doing it for the promised jackpot that the scammers hold over their heads in a lot of these cases, but a lot of their motivation seems to be they want to save/rescue the person.   90% of the scammers set up a calamity that prevents them from getting back to the US and the catfishee runs to their bank to get some more money so they can save their beloved. If I remember correctly, didn't Lois say she was trying to help one of the three men she was juggling?  I think they must get a hit of serotonin/oxytocin or whatever the hormone is that makes people feel happy.  Phil needs to test that.

Edited by patty1h
19 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I haven't watched part 3 yet but I just wondered something - has Phil every offered a catfish victim some kind of mental health treatment at the end of an episode?

Not that I can remember; it's always been the "stay off the internet for 90 days" advice (like that's going to make a difference for most of these catfish victims).

• Love 1
(edited)

You cant reason someone out of a mental disorder. Shill irritates the crap out if me when he brings someone on the stage who is clearly mentally I'll and presents them with proof that what they believe isnt true. I think that's where we are with lois . The general could have walk out on stage and told her it was all fake and she wouldn't believe him. She is completely invested in her delusion. Other catfish victims hold on cuz the ripoff of their money is too much to handle. I think we are beyond even that with Lois. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 2
(edited)

Poor Lois indeed needs a lot of help, because her blank looks and stumbling replies show how disconnected she is from logic and reason.  But that being said, there was a segment toward the end where Dr P kept saying "But don't you see there is no Paul, because the real Paul is here .. there is no Paul".  Her question, which she couldn't quite get out and he intentionally ignored, was "But I was having communication with somebody - Human fingers were typing the messages..  There was an actual person.  It isn't the people you showed me, but who were they?"  

Sadly, whereas Nev and Max on Catfish can follow the numbers and find the overweight girl who was bullied in high school &c &c and confront her, these scammers are behind a thicker veil.  Hard as Dr P may have tried, he's never yet gotten into a Nigerian boiler-room to find the specific people who were scamming his people.  But he could have, at that moment, acknowledged that she was in fact having communication with an actual person, whom she is going to have to give up.

The poignant thing in segment 1 or 2 was when a couple of times when Lois said "I'm just so lonely".  I feel so sorry for her, and some of the earlier victims who - before their appearances - could look forward every day to communicating with somebody who called them 'Baby' and said 'You are my world' etc .. even if they were reading it from a script.  And after their appearances, they would be alone again.  In Lois' case, though, she evidently did attend church, where she met the one fiance', and there are always actual people at church and useful things to be doing.  (Well, maybe not this month but usually.)

I'm not sure if Lois can be reconnected with reality a hundred percent, but hopefully a therapist (not interfering with her work) can help her sort it out.  

Edited by Chippings
typing