Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 12/18/2017 at 7:44 PM, cooksdelight said:

Regarding follow-ups.... the only one that comes to mind is Todd Herzog, the Survivor winner who became an alcoholic once he won and became semi-famous. Todd relapsed, which is why Phil had him on the show again. I often wonder about him and how he’s doing. The kid drank a LOT of vodka daily. I’m good friends with someone who was on that show and we can’t go anywhere without someone noticing her and wanting a photo. I can only imagine what it was like for Todd, winning all that money and probably drinking most of it.

Todd Herzog was in the news about a week ago claiming the he showed up sober but the Dr. Phil staff left him alone with drugs and alcohol. Dr. Phil denies it and I don't especially believe Todd Herzog but it does remind me of Laurie "Bambi" Bembeneck. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/12/28/dr-phil-guests-survivor-todd-herzog-accuse-staffers-enabling-alcohol-drugs/989092001/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/11/13/murderer-files-lawsuit-against-dr-phil.html

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TresGatos said:

Todd Herzog was in the news about a week ago claiming the he showed up sober but the Dr. Phil staff left him alone with drugs and alcohol. Dr. Phil denies it and I don't especially believe Todd Herzog but it does remind me of Laurie "Bambi" Bembeneck. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/12/28/dr-phil-guests-survivor-todd-herzog-accuse-staffers-enabling-alcohol-drugs/989092001/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/11/13/murderer-files-lawsuit-against-dr-phil.html

It's almost laughable that Todd Herzog claims he was sober for one of his Dr. Phil appearances (or sober at all for anything at any time.) I say "almost" laughable because it's sad to see someone so young, this messed up on alcohol.

Re: murderer files lawsuit....I wish someone would lock ME up in an apartment in MARINA DEL REY! LOL

16 hours ago, TresGatos said:

Thanks for that link. I hadn't heard about that happening to Laurie. I couldn't find out whether she won her case against Dr Phil or not (I'm guessing not). I did look on Wikipedia and see that she died in November 2010 from kidney and liver failure. I remember her arrest and when she went on the run. She was practically a celebrity in Wisconsin, largely because people knew she was being framed and railroaded. Hopefully she's finally found some peace.

Next week's episodes from Zap2It's TV listings:

Monday: My Husband's Religious Beliefs Are Ruining Our Family, and Now CPS Has Our Children. Can We Get Them Back?

Tatiana has left Jehovah's Witnesses and wants her husband to leave, too; CPS has put their children in foster care over what the parents say is a misunderstanding, and they are fighting to get them back.
--
Tuesday: Obsessed With My Father's Death: Was It Murder?

Amanda says her father wrote a suspicious note six hours before his sudden death, and she is convinced he was murdered; her mother and brother say she is so obsessed that she has given up on her own life.
--
Wednesday: My Parents Don't Love Me, Have Abandoned Me, and Wish They Never Adopted Me

Parents say their 18-year-old daughter's behavior is out of control; she says they have labeled her with a severe mental illness and blamed her for their family being dysfunctional.
--
Thursday: From Riches to Rags: How Did a Wealthy Suburban Stay-at-Home Mom Become a Mooch Living Off Her Parents

Carrie is accused of being an uninvolved mother and constantly drunk, and separates from her formerly well-paid husband to move back in with her parents.
--
Friday: My Husband Refuses to Get a Job and Believes He Is Going to Become a Famous Murder Rapper

Melissa says her husband refuses to get a job, dresses like a "demonic clown" and spends all day composing and posting "vile" music about killing people; members of Insane Clown Posse say what they think of his music.

Classic Dr Phil week. Monday: "[spouse] is ruining family" + religious cult; Tuesday: some sort of crime happened and we will talk about it for an hour and solve NOTHING; Wednesday: out-of-control teen; Thursday: drunk mom needs help; Friday: delusional wannabe rapper gets a wake-up call.

• Love 2

Watched the episode where the 30-something year old guy was blaming his mom for ruining his life when she filed charges against him years ago (I think he was 28 then) for pushing her out of his room.  I really feel sorry for her and him and hope he gets some help.  It has to be awful never to leave momma bird's nest and become an adult.  I hope things get better for him.

It was sure nice of Phil to have little wifey on again, but this time they need money???????  I realize abused women is a good cause, but since when do Phil and family need more money?  Couldn't she just turn over her enormous profits on her skin care line, or isn't it making any money and that is why they have to shill their products at the end of every show?  They are just getting ridiculous.  You have to wonder if they know that people are laughing at them.  They certainly don't care about any of the people that they get to come on the show because they try to hustle them off as fast as they can so they can do family business.  It is all about them.  Time to be off the tv already.

• Love 5

Yeah, could that have been more fake? I burst out laughing. I guess Phil did just fall off of the turnip truck last night if he expects us to believe their bullshit. 

• Love 4

Poor audience member gets a picture with a sour-faced Phil McGraw on her 37th birthday.

Can't you just imagine all the jealous women because of it?

Nah, me neither.

For some reason, tomorrow's "riches to rags" episode has moved to Friday and this one will be in its place:

Starting Fires, Killing Cats, Torturing Her Brother. I'm Afraid of My 11-Year-Old Daughter
Tina says her 11-year-old daughter looks like a sweet, innocent girl, but has started fires in the house, killed a cat and tried to smother her baby brother.

On 1/9/2018 at 3:11 PM, PsychoKlown said:

Poor audience member gets a picture with a sour-faced Phil McGraw on her 37th birthday.

Can't you just imagine all the jealous women because of it?

Nah, me neither.

That was so weird. And Phillip seemed like he’d forgotten about the whole thing and was on his way to go start the car before Robin stopped him.

So Phillip mocked the parents of today’s Teen Asshole by comparing her behavior to those of past Teen Assholes to prove that her behavior isn’t as bad. But he failed to show, in his clip show, the portion where he blamed the parents of those assholes as well. 

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 1

Dr Phil: "You complained about her taking strawberries to her room"

Stupid parent: "it's just a little thing part of the big picture, we're over that"

Daughter: "You're not over it if you bring it up on Dr PHIL!!!!"

The daughter's problem is that she's smarter than her idiot parents.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Dr Phil: "You complained about her taking strawberries to her room"

Stupid parent: "it's just a little thing part of the big picture, we're over that"

Daughter: "You're not over it if you bring it up on Dr PHIL!!!!"

The daughter's problem is that she's smarter than her idiot parents.

You say idiot, I say selfish.  Those parents wanted nothing to do with anything that wasn't perfect.  I'm surprised they didn't try to send the daughter back to whatever or wherever they adopted her from.  They'll turn on the younger daughter the minute she shows any sign of thinking for herself.

Sorry I just thought they were awful people.

• Love 8

Those so-called parents were horrible.  They clearly started thinking of the older girl as a combination scape-goat/practice model, and I'll bet it happened when they adopted #2.

The first child in a family is a unique position.  The parents typically have very little knowledge about even the most minor things.  Everything's a learning experience, and there are hiccups along the way, but if all works out well the parents and the child end up with an attitude that they went through everything together.  It's often the second child that is an unexpected challenge because starting over at the beginning with one kid while still raising their sibling often throws parents for a loop.

But the parents in this show seemed to view her as an Alpha Test for parenting: 'Evaluate the quality of the product and ensure Beta readiness. These tests focus on finding bugs, and answer the question: Does the product work?'  In other words is it "stable enough for technical users, but not yet feature complete"?

In manufacturing a product that doesn't pass Alpha Testing is shelved or sent back for extensive changes.  Mommy and Daddy Dearest couldn't send her back or rehome her if they wanted to adopt again, it wouldn't look good.  They couldn't send her back to the developers to be reconfigured, so they kept on and were able to adopt another child while having to live with Alpha Test.

Older daughter was now a combination of practice test and scapegoat.  Parents had decided that older daughter wasn't what they wanted and set about managing her until they could get rid of her in a socially acceptable way.  They either have just enough concern to try to help older daughter because they have a bit of affection for the fantasy daughter she represented to them, or they simply want to tell the world they tried everything they could think of and nothing worked.  I'm going with them building an excuse for dumping her.

Daughter #2 better hope she doesn't fail them.

• Love 7

"We're not here to talk about me!  We're here to talk about my daughter!". These people have seen Dr Phil before, right?

For a board certified psychiatrist, trained to listen, Dr Charles Sophy is a judgemental looking guy!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

"We're not here to talk about me!  We're here to talk about my daughter!". These people have seen Dr Phil before, right?

For a board certified psychiatrist, trained to listen, Dr Charles Sophy is a judgemental looking guy!

Yes Flyingdi, thank you!!  Every time dr sophy comes on, he is smug, cold and extraordinarily judgmental. I’m forever shocked by his attitude. 

• Love 4

I’m ashamed to admit it but I watched “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills”. Several years ago (maybe 4-5) a woman named Taylor something or other was abused by her husband, left him and then he hung himself. Dr. Sophy was their therapist on the show. He also accompanied her to a meeting with the other “housewives” at a party or bar or something to “support” her as she told her co-stars about her husband beating her. What a fame whore that guy is. How appropriate that he’s on Dr. Shill’s show now with Shill and Robin. I really cannot imagine how he’s the head psychiatrist for every department in the CA government and still has time to have a private practice and ALSO appear on Dr. Shill. What a bunch of grifters these people are!!

• Love 8

45 minutes into today’s show, all spent talking about the guest’s drinking problem and its effect on her children and family, they come back from a commercial and have oddly switched the focus to financial planning??? Just like the shows that are 40 minutes of something heart wrenching and you get back from a commercial to find robin on stage hawking another one of her frivolous useless face products. This show has really devolved into one of poor decisions and him shaming his guests constantly. 

• Love 3

Well just finished watching the episode and he’s not sending the guest to the dual-diagnosis treatment center of the day as usual. Instead he wants her to use his new “tool” - a virtual reality headset she is apparently supposed to wear when she goes out into the world so she doesnt drink. He is in the virtual reality world they see so I have a feeling this will actually make people feel they have to turn to alcohol to rid themselves of the vision of him in their head.  Just gets weirder, this show. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, PortaBella said:

Well just finished watching the episode and he’s not sending the guest to the dual-diagnosis treatment center of the day as usual. Instead he wants her to use his new “tool” - a virtual reality headset she is apparently supposed to wear when she goes out into the world so she doesnt drink.

I'm usually for whatever works, but what the fuck is this shit?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

I'm usually for whatever works, but what the fuck is this shit?

Some crap he's making money off of to promote on his show. The days of him caring if people he sends to places and tells to use apps or the described VR crap are actually get helped ended long ago.

• Love 2

I approve of the virtual reality headset solution because there is no way this woman won't drink herself to death under the unwatchful eyes of her dazed, low-effort, enabling parents. Might as well put something on her head and forget about her while she stares at a Dr Phil avatar.

Does the book on financial planning have a chapter on how to mooch off people to keep the alcohol flowing? It must, otherwise Phil would never have a segment like this for no reason.

• Love 3

Tuesday's episode features yet another out-of-control teen girl:

“Our 15-Year-Old Criminal Daughter is Ruining Her Life and Our Marriage!”

Fifteen-year-old Sadara, who has been arrested over 50 times, is not in school, smokes, drinks, has stolen cars, and even stole a safe full of family valuables worth $30,000.

Sadara says she gets an adrenaline rush from her life of crime. Her parents, Cynthia and Robert, are currently separated in part because they are at odds over how to parent Sadara, who was just released from a juvenile facility for violating probation. Sadara says she grew up having a painful childhood. She claims she was excited at first when her mother’s husband, Robert, stepped in and then adopted her, but claims he went too far with his discipline — spanking her bottom, cutting her hair, and chaining her ankles with padlocks. But Robert believes he can do a better job of parenting than Cynthia, who he says allows their daughter to get away with far too much. Can Cynthia get back the little girl she used to have before she became a 15-year-old burglar, runaway, and high school dropout? Find out what Sadara says she would like to see happen at home in order to try and avoid a life of prison.

You know, between being back to work and having other situations on Friday, I am just not watching the show.  Even the OWN episodes are so repetitive as to be uninteresting.

i don’t miss the show - I am just not watching it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, b2H said:

I am just not watching the show.  Even the OWN episodes are so repetitive as to be uninteresting.

i don’t miss the show - I am just not watching it.

Me neither.   It's all the same, no matter the issue.  The show needs a shake up in format or maybe just needs to end.  Even the most outrageous guests and topics are somehow made humdrum and Phil's responses are all the same.   He hands out hankies and puts verbs in his sentences.  He only pretends to care nowadays.

And those odd  stilted film-bites of the guest walking along the street or staring off to into space during the show's introduction?  What's that all about?

• Love 5

It’s like how Maury Povich’s talk show started out relatively normal, but is now synonymous with paternity tests and lie detectors. Every other Phillip show is Blameless, Out of Control Teen Assholes; Catfished septuagenarians; or Drunk Soccer Moms, with wrinkle cream advertisements throughout. Although, I haven’t seen a good, old lady catfish episode in a while. I kind of miss them.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 5

Jesus Christ on a crutch. Virtual Reality rehab!!!!  And she has to submit to it to be allowed to attend the latest "dual-diagnosis center"  vamping for free publicity. I assume their admission criteria consists of ascertaining whether the check will clear. 

I dont remember the name of the financial book or the author, but I wonder it is was published by "mysonJay"?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, shksabelle said:

I dont remember the name of the financial book or the author, but I wonder it is was published by "mysonJay"?

Phub's books are the only ones listed on the site for that publishing company he supposedly started. The site that went along with it seems to have whatever old books they published from the various people in the McGraw stable.

Edited to add: It looks like Lil Phub started a 2nd publishing company at some point or decided to use a different name then Bird Street Books at some point. The site for this 2nd company/name has mostly McGraw related people too. I noticed both of the "publishing company" sites have a copyright year of 2016 while The Book Nook has a 2018 one.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I was actually interested in last Friday's show (which was supposed to be last Thursday's show):

On 1/5/2018 at 5:29 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

How Did a Wealthy Suburban Stay-at-Home Mom Become a Mooch Living Off Her Parents

Carrie is accused of being an uninvolved mother and constantly drunk, and separates from her formerly well-paid husband to move back in with her parents.

but I was interested in it for a reason nobody has mentioned yet, and it turned out Dr. Phil wasn't interested in it. Namely, that Carrie's husband quit a Wall Street job with a tremendous salary to become a (legal) marijuana retailer for much, much less money. At first I applauded him for breaking out of the soul-destroying corporate rat race and following his bliss to a fulfilling job, and then he started emphasizing that he did it largely so that he could spend a lot more time with his children and raise them, because his wife was already neglecting them while the family was rich.  Either way, or if it was both reasons, I cheered him for having good values and knowing what was important in life. Meanwhile, Carrie was revealing her horrible values by her complete focus on expensive material things and ceaseless socializing and partying as the life she wanted and was outraged at losing. Dr. Phil hinted at this being a problem in the early part of the show, but then switched the focus completely to her drinking, and, as others say here, the financial planning and the VR goggles. I actually didn't think the financial planning advice was at all bad: the woman is living an aimless life with no structure and no goals, and taking charge of her finances would be a good morale booster. But this isn't just a case of alcoholism; it seems to me a case of a marriage crashing and burning because one party got his feet back on the ground and the other continued to suffer from a near-terminal case of affluenza. I wish Dr. Phil had brought out that this wasn't just a money problem or an addiction problem; it's mainly a spiritual problem.

• Love 3

I'm usually only watching now with half an ear, but I did sit up and pay attention to the couple with the children who didn't want visitation with dad because he apparently was abusing them.  Mom was probably coaching them, and dad probably had a lot more issues than was brought out in discussion.  For a while it seemed like Phil  was going to point fingers at Mom.

But then the wind went out of Phil's sails at the end when he read the results from the lie detector test.  Mom did not lie when asked if she coached her children.  Dad refused to take the test.  Phil seemed lost for words for once and took several drinks of water.

So what was going on?  I do have to admit that when the children spoke about visits to dad and the supposed abuse,  it was by rote and almost sing-song like a fun story. They didn't seem afraid the way a child would be in such a circumstance.

Hope this family can work together.  Children should never be forced to take sides.  

• Love 2

From the beginning I considered a strong possibility that the children, who appeared close in age, might abundantly gripe to each other about their shared situation and discuss certain traumatic events repeatedly.

I did not appreciate Phil suggesting that a judge would make a less desirable decision from the family than what they could work out together backstage, especially since the father is probably physical with them.

• Love 1

Weird episode with no real conclusion, so I just chose to focus on how much the former couple looked like Nancy and Sluggo. The mom actually looked more like Little Lulu. No wrinkle cream and cheap Avon jewelry infomercial this time though. I wonder if people are really buying that stuff.

• Love 2

We tried watching Monday's episode. I had to take a break about 15 minutes in because it seems apparent to me that the adoptive father is too strict, the mother is too lenient, and the only thing left to wonder about is how those two fuckwits can't see their own responsibility in creating the monster that girl has become. We might get back to that episode later this week.

• Love 1

I was glad to see the updates on the success stories. How about updates on the ones he sent to treatment that weren’t successes? How many were those? Where are they now? That couple the other day with the dad being accused on mistreating the 3 kids and the mom with the sideways smirky mouth? She may have passed a polygraph (don’t get me started on those things-my husband was in law enforcement for 35 years and told me and our kids to NEVER take one of those because they can be manipulated by the questions/grading by the examiner) but I don’t believe that she never coached her kids. She’s bitter and resentful and wants to punish the dad. He’s no prize but geez-she needs more counseling than he does. IMO, of course. 

• Love 4

How the hell did he pull that many recovering addicts (and their The Phil Is Our Shepherd grateful* parents) out of the stable so fast to put together that heavy-handed response episode that quickly to passive-aggressively respond to all the recent criticism wrt his shady drug treatment program practices?

Hell, he even got half of them to specifically say how, once they got to L.A. for pre-filming, they couldn’t get any alcohol or how getting there was like being in jail because they were so highly supervised (despite its being in direct contrast to one of the higher-ups’ statements in one of the articles above). And the few who were Extra Doubleplus [making the show look] Bad and shooting up before going onstage did so because they were SOOO unpatriotic as to Snakes On A Plane. Sorry, I mean, Sneak Drugs On A Plane. Although, the former might have made those that made the oil Dr. Phil was working double time to sell us less lonely.

*And, holy shit, did I get that right? “Over” 500 people (so, probably 503. But I’ll be generous and go with 524: any more than that and he’d surely have said “almost 550”) treated, and TWENTY-EIGHT FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS spent on (worth of) treatment?! Even if I assume that’s the retail cost and not what the show actually pays to the Very Best Treatment Centers In The World who whore themselves out on the show in exchange for such recognized distinction in lieu of payment, we’re talking about more than fifty-grand per addict. (Nevermind the free vacay to LA for each one’s bad-parenting dad, enabling Mom, and sensible-and-free-from-blame-because-she-wrote-in Aunt Bertha...)

I mean, I’m sure the ten parents or so whose kids are, 28 mil. later, still currently* sober/not dead are grateful for that, too, and all, but, hell: I got publicly berated and humiliated for eight+ hours a day, five days a week, for way less money than that a YEAR, working at The World’s Most Toxic Middle School for nearly a decade: I now understand why someone would subject themselves to 42 minutes (plus syndication) of national flogging by that blowhard; I’d let him diagram sentences for me, too, for less than one class period, for the equivalent of more than a year’s salary of potentially life-saving services (if I actually believed those services were, indeed, potentially life-saving).

*I get that that’s how it often works with recovery, but there sure were a lot of those ten-or-so cherry-picked guests of the 524-or-so (soooo, a lot for how fast they threw this shit together, but still less than 2% of those “helped” over the years) who got a lot of lip service paid to how they’d been featured three or seven years ago, only to have it quickly mentioned that, well, yeah, they slipped, and/but now they’ve been sober a whole four months. They’re not dead, so I guess it’s a win, regardless, but it just further underscored that Dr. Phil and his Best Vanity Dual-Diagnosis Treatment Centers in the World (and twenty-eight million dollars, sorry, still reeling from how disgusting** that number is) likely have success rates that are pretty comparable to every other shitty rehab place in the world; they just have prettier views to enjoy on the road to unlikely success.

(And I sincerely apologize to everyone who has struggled with this themselves or with a loved one for my seeming flippancy with all of this; really, I’m just so saddened by the reality of how often none of it makes a difference, and how many people are getting rich** off of the desperation of those who need it to).

**And, I’m disgusted and saddened by the gall of this Very Rich Man and his Very Rich Foundation and his Very Rich-in-Plastic Wife for their begging their viewers for money that they “need” for one of the few things they do that I believe DOES make a difference—the women’s and family shelters—none of which I bet has ever tried to entice someone to PLEASE give it a[nother] shot with the hook of “it’s on [a beautiful] island and it’s like a resort.” (Although maybe they DO offer baskets of Robyn’s Magical Elixers of Ponds and Snake Oil On vanity packaging and a Name Too Cutesy for A Self-Respecting ‘Tween. But that would still put it closer to Motel 6 category than Beautiful Resort, and I bet they could fund it themselves for less than they spend on keeping Mysonjay’s vanity project vanity publishing company. Well, at least they’re consistent about one value in their lives).

But, because I like to be positive (bwah ha ha), I thought this episode was excellent in one regard: it showed, without question, how very little Phil has to do with his guests; even the ones who seemed like true success stories were essentially thanking “Dr. Phil” as a metonymy; anything more specific—even the haunt-you-to-the-ends-of-the-earth after-the-fact attention and care—was ALL directed at the underlings (who, Dr. Phil pointed out, don’t do it for the money. Which, given the rest of what was said and shown in this handjob of an episode, along with the aforementioned core family value, is one of the times I don’t question a word of what the man said. Even the ones with trumped-up titles probably have to get their side hustle on by selling their Christmas bonuses on eBay. Which you KNOW consists of a gift bag (personally signed by stamped with the Exclusive Dr. Phil Hanky Font). filled with hasftad aa a   HashtagWheeThat’sMeeeee(and me teefers) Robbin’ McGraw Revelations Surplus Product Advent Calendars and by-exclusive-code Mysonjay Can Read Press Groupon

• Love 10

Overly strict father used "anti political correctness" as his shield to act like a disgusting creep and a-hole. Why should he care about offending people? It's the people that need to 'deal' with his assholery. He's not going to change his appalling ways for any of them snowflakes!

Imagine if everyone did this.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I was glad to see the updates on the success stories. How about updates on the ones he sent to treatment that weren’t successes? How many were those? Where are they now? That couple the other day with the dad being accused on mistreating the 3 kids and the mom with the sideways smirky mouth? She may have passed a polygraph (don’t get me started on those things-my husband was in law enforcement for 35 years and told me and our kids to NEVER take one of those because they can be manipulated by the questions/grading by the examiner) but I don’t believe that she never coached her kids. She’s bitter and resentful and wants to punish the dad. He’s no prize but geez-she needs more counseling than he does. IMO, of course. 

Oh man. I am right there with you on this. That couple was ridiculous. It was very clear that she had coached those kids. And I am sick to death of Phil and his fucking polygraph tests. I don't give a shit if Jack Tremarco has been administering them four times a day for 1000 years. They're bullshit masquerading as pseudo-science and all the sheeple believe that they're accurate.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Overly strict father used "anti political correctness" as his shield to act like a disgusting creep and a-hole. Why should he care about offending people? It's the people that need to 'deal' with his assholery. He's not going to change his appalling ways for any of them snowflakes!

Imagine if everyone did this.

Yeah, it's funny how those "I'm not gonna be PC, I'm gonna tell it like it is" types are always super offended when other people "tell it like it is" and call them douchebags.

• Love 4

I do wish guests weren't so 'cleaned up' for presentation on TV.  It's hard to get a read on them (for me, anyway).  Professional make up job, eyebrows tweezed, hair shiny and perfectly styled. Dad in spiffy suit and tie and face make up too.  

Then they talk about their chaotic lives.... it seems weird, like a soap opera.