Type keyword(s) to search

When TDS Goes On Hiatus: What Would Jon Stewart Do?

At this point, I can't tell if they're trolling or if they're actually that stupid.

NRA Floats Idea Of Kids Needing To Show Gun Proficiency "To Advance To The Next Grade"

A new commentary video from the National Rifle Association suggests we can live up to the Founding Fathers' ideals by creating "gun-required zones," and making gun training for children "necessary to advance to the next grade."

In a July 21 NRA News video titled "Everyone Gets A Gun," NRA News commentator Billy Johnson said, "We don't have a U.S. gun policy. We have a U.S. anti-gun policy" that is based on "the assumption that we need to protect people from guns" and "that guns are bad or dangerous."

Instead Johnson wondered what gun policies the United States would have "if we designed gun policy from the assumption that people need guns -- that guns make people's lives better." Johnson then made the following recommendations that would "encourage" and might "reward" people "to keep and bear arms at all times."

(edited)

You know, the Washington Post owns Kaplan Testing, and most of their revenue (and all of their profits) come from NCLB contracts. I leave as an exercise to the reader how that's affected their coverage of politicians who support NCLB.

That said, if there were firearm safety courses in public schools, I don't for a moment doubt that the NRA would get paid for planning them. I'm thinking this is their attempt at putting a ball across the plate low and inside for some congressman in their pocket to make that happen.

Edited by Julia

ReutersTentative agreement reached on U.S. veterans' funding bill

(Reuters) - A tentative agreement has been reached by the chairmen of the U.S. Senate and House veterans committees on legislation aimed at resolving the Veterans Affairs healthcare crisis, their spokesmen said on Sunday.

Independent Senator Bernie Sanders, who heads the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs, and his House counterpart, Republican Representative Jeff Miller, will outline the agreement at a news conference at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, their spokesmen said.

"Miller and Sanders continued negotiations on a VA reform package this weekend and made significant progress toward an agreement on legislation to make VA more accountable and to help the department recruit more doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals," their offices said in a statement.

Jon and John will be happy to hear this.

Rupert Murdoch has withdrawn his bid for Time Warner. Let's hope this development is the end of it.

From the New York Times:

Rupert Murdoch‘s 21st Century Fox said on Tuesday that it was withdrawing its $80 billion takeover offer for Time Warner, after being unable to convince its fellow media giant to begin merger talks.

In a statement, 21st Century Fox said that it still believed that a union of the two made sense, creating a colossus in the television and film giants. But Time Warner‘s firm rejection of its outreach and a drop in its own stock price made further pursuit of a bid untenable.

When I heard this story, I couldn't help thinking about the Daily Show piece with Michael Che and Jordan Klepper on 2nd Ammendment Manners Do's and Don'ts. 

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/cops-shoot-and-kill-man-holding-toy-gun-walmart

A young man holding a toy rifle in a Walmart was shot and killed on Tuesday by police in the Dayton suburb of Beavercreek, Ohio, according to Raw Story. John Crawford, 22, was carrying a toy gun he picked up in the store, alarming two other shoppers.

When something like Robin Williams comes along,is it better for Jon to be working and letting us grieve with him or for Jon to be off and letting us just take some time to digest it?

Conan's reactions places me in the former.

I wonder if the killing of these two young men by police and Robin Williams' death makes Jon want to say "f**k this. I can't do this anymore."

He would have had a blast with Eric Bolling's question to Mo'Ne Davis, though.

Everything has been so fucked up since Jon and Stephen have been gone that I've stopped wondering what they'll lead with or how they'll cover everything. I'm just ready for them to be back and give me some catharsis. John once a week is not enough, damn it.

Also: Larry's show cannot get here soon enough.

Oops, ABay -- that's what happens when I'm on vacation, I lose track of time! You're right, that is unusual, though not unprecedented (they aired a show on Labor Day in 2012, though that coincided with the Democratic national convention). Maybe they figured they'd taken enough vacation days already so they needed to work on Labor Day. In any case, I should know for sure on Tues. or Wed. what the Labor Day week schedule is, so I'll post here as soon as I learn.

I really hope they take this shit down, not because of this one woman but because the underlying sentiment is so prevalent and normalized: Gun Range Owner Declares Her Business Is a ‘Muslim Free Zone’

She explains her other customers will not feel comfortable with Muslims holding guns around them, and argues the First Amendment right to freedom of religion doesn’t apply because, Morgan believes, Islam is a theocracy and not a religion.

And then there’s this bit of logic:

Not all muslims are terrorists, but almost all terrorists in the world right now are muslim. Since you can’t determine by visual assessment, which ones will kill you and which ones will not, I am going to go with the line of thought that ANY HUMAN BEING who would either knowingly or unknowingly support a “religion” that commands the murder of all people who refuse to submit or convert to that religion, is not someone I want to know or do business with.

Because fuck the Civil Rights Act and Heart of Atlanta Motel v United States. Would the Supreme Court these days decide in her favor because of her sincerely held belief? This kind of bullshit really exposes how flimsy a stand these people are making. There is no such thing as freedom from religion, and the law is the law: you have no right to restrict or endorse restricting any citizen's access to guns... except for those guys over there who don't look like me, think like me, vote like me, and believe in my god. Because fuck them, I'm a patriot, and it's my god-given right to piss on theirs.

Whether or not she's sued, she will become the next hero for the Fox/Blaze/Limbaugh crowd.

Relevant: How Serious Is the Supreme Court About Religious Freedom? (re: Holt v. Hobbs)

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

I'm sure Jon & co. would be giving heavy coverage to Ferguson this week... it will probably be a long-lasting story that they will be able to cover on Monday without seeming too dated.

For a second, I thought, "Well, John Oliver will have the first take on Sunday!" and then I remembered he's on hiatus 'til February! Sigh.

• Love 1