Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Money for RENT

tennisgurl

A lot happened this episode, and I thought it was a really fun and sweet one, but all I kept thinking was: "Why is Lainey dressed like a gender flipped cosplay of Hugh Jackman in The Greatest Showman?" 

Did a high school version of Rent exist in the 90s? I think it does now, but did it then? I was dying when the jock found his calling in the theater! 

Robert Picardo! The amount of famous people from that area, who are cool with coming back for the show, always amazes me!

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Did a high school version of Rent exist in the 90s? I think it does now, but did it then? I was dying when the jock found his calling in the theater! 

No it wasn’t available legally until 2008.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 12:52 AM, meirav said:

I couldn't find the Schooled board, so I'm posting here. The Lainey character repeatedly referred to "an alumni." Alumni is plural. It's either "an alumnus" (male) or "an alumna" (female).

That's because the show doesn't have its own board yet.

Anyway, I thought this was quite a funny episode. Particularly the part where CB was trying to teach Health class.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 3

I loved this last episode (Rent, sex ed., Robert Picardo!) This show is firing on all cylinders, and I'm sad it doesn't have its own board. Funnier than the Goldbergs right now, IMO.

I met Robert Picardo multiple times at Star Trek cons and never knew he was local (I'm also from Philly burbs).

Yeah, Rent availability was a super stretch but I had theater friends who were super obsessed with it c. 1996, so it didn't bug me.

I was in stitches with every single sex ed scene. So funny.

Imacs were late 1998. I remember this because Noel Crane desperately wanted one, about halfway through Felicity season 1. I know that this is "90-something" but they do seem to lean on the late '90s a bit more. Which is a shame because there's plenty of kitschy crap from the early '90s - they really just need to watch early 90210 episodes!

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, Lili said:

That's because the show doesn't have its own board yet.

1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

I loved this last episode (This show is firing on all cylinders, and I'm sad it doesn't have its own board. Funnier than the Goldbergs right now, IMO.

I’m confused - isn’t this its board? I’m following the show and this is what I have on my homepage. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m confused - isn’t this its board? I’m following the show and this is what I have on my homepage. 

Yes. It doesn’t get enough traffic to warrant a fill forum so this is it.

“They called me Teddy the Yeti!  And my name is John!” had me rolling.

I love John and Coach Mellor so much.

The only thing I didn’t like is coach coming around on the musical...because the star QB was good at it.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2019 at 8:51 PM, readster said:

In the 90s if you had at least an associates degree and passed the main teaching test you could teach a subject you specialized in. However, when 2005 rolled around, there were so many dirt bags that got into the system that were dating, and abusing their students. That they started coming out with "better tests" for teachers and then needing various required classes such as: assessment, Special Ed, classroom management and reading comprehension. Not crazy hard classes mind you, but it would take you a year to a year and a half and need to have a semester internship of teaching "real kids" to get your license. Then, somewhere, don't ask me how, especially in places like: New York, Illinois, California. Some helicopter parents got on a set of grade school teachers who didn't know "algebra". Started complaining to their congressman, then the No Child Left Behind crap started and all of a sudden student teachers were told to take this test and then this test and then this test and had to ace a trigonometry section in math to get a score to be told they had a high enough score to just get the state to say: "Ok, you can be a teacher now." Basically: "Harder test would make better teachers." It all backfired from 2010-2015 because while other people were passing these tests turned out to be crappy teachers and the ones who couldn't pass the tests were loved by their students and schools, but couldn't get their full license because they couldn't pass one math test. True story. Because we know if you end up a history teacher you should know how to teach a student if: xy-78 = x +8/4. Yeah, then just last year they finally did away with that and now just do what they did in the 90s for testing. 

As they say: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." Back to the episode, yes, so many of my friends had Tamagotchis and before that, high school kids were sneaking their gameboys in. Now, it's smart phones and student addicted to Snapchat or trying to blue tooth in some stupid Jack Ass video. Times might change, but something "biggest toy ever" is going to always come along. 

I grew up in NY and Pa and teachers had to have a bachelors degree to teach and also had to specialize in a subject area , even to teach elementary  school . And you had to pass a certification exam and take classes to get permanently certified , along with getting tenure . My dad was a teacher in the 60’s and 70’s and had to do that, and my sister had to do their in the late 80’S .

Private and Catholic schools had their pick of certified teachers because of a job shortage. And schools had to hire certified teachers in those roles states and some others . 

You also had to post jobs and hire the most qualified person .

I have a hard time watching a show where some young woman walks into a principal’s office and gets hired because her ex fiancée’s mom pressures him!

Shes a college drop out and has no experience except some band called the Drop Outs !

I know it’s fiction , but it’s annoying when you have people in your family who took our loans and had to show competence in a subject area- even music, along with student teaching and passing certification exams !

I will never get the fascination with Lainey the character or the actress .

They took away two good characters from the Goldbergs for this totally out of reality show .

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The only thing I didn’t like is coach coming around on the musical...because the star QB was good at it.

I thought he came around because of what Lainey said to him.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sorry, I meant a forum with separate episode threads. I hate single boards because when I'm behind in episodes, it's impossible to find the posts about whatever episode I watched, plus you get spoiled on newer episodes. It was my main beef with TWOP and I hate that Previously has gone to that system for a number of currently airing shows. (Magnum is another.)

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Sorry, I meant a forum with separate episode threads. I hate single boards because when I'm behind in episodes, it's impossible to find the posts about whatever episode I watched, plus you get spoiled on newer episodes. It was my main beef with TWOP and I hate that Previously has gone to that system for a number of currently airing shows. (Magnum is another.)

Oh right, got it. At least with weekly shows, you can watch the post dates and stop reading before you hit the date of the first show you haven’t seen yet. It’s really a pain for streaming series that release a whole season at once 😞

• Love 3