Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: I, Mellor

alexa

I am still bored. I am not liking the let’s pick a student to focus on every week. I am not into the main characters enough to feel invested. I guess I like the mix of families, friendship, and the school happenings on Goldbergs more. I wish the coach and principal were on Goldbergs instead but I understand why they brought them to this show. I guess I just find this show isolating only being at the school and not really getting to know the characters. 

Little too on the nose about students who "purposely" try to fail in school because they figure its more fun and they won't need it later. Then get the reality check towards the end of high school or when they are out and people don't take their crap and they have rent to pay and realize their excuses don't carry anymore. 

• Love 3

I appreciated Coach Mellor being good at math - and the underlying message that athleticism and academia are not mutually exclusive skill sets. 

I think I need a Coach Mellor to motivate me daily! 

• Love 14

Another Mellor-centric episode? I felt they could have saved this one for later in the season.

But I did like the premise of him trying to prove he's more than just a gym coach. It reminds me of a history teacher I had in school, whom was also a gym coach.

• Love 5
On 1/31/2019 at 4:54 PM, Pallida said:

I appreciated Coach Mellor being good at math - and the underlying message that athleticism and academia are not mutually exclusive skill sets. 

I think I need a Coach Mellor to motivate me daily! 

I LOVE that Coach Mellor is stealth awesome.  I would want more of him but I think they use him the perfect amount.

The real Alex Piper totally cribbed barking like a dog in class from Darlene on “Roseanne” and he should admit that.

I realized today that the theme song is adjacent to Blink 182 and that makes me feel all sorts of ways.

• Love 3

So, was that supposed to be a like a round in a math competition or were they on that team for just one contest with one school? Coach Mellor had a good premise, though. If they have technical skill already, they need to learn how to be better competitors. They definitely show him as quirky, but not a joke, which is refreshing for a sitcom.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, msrachelj said:

on the goldbergs lainey and barry and getting married but she spoiled it right at the beginning of this new crap fest by saying they didn't work out.

It aired right after the episode in which Lainey and Barry called off their wedding, so it didn't spoil anything.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:36 PM, justjen said:

I don't remember her She's All That-ing Barry though. I thought he just wore her down and she realized she loved him, but I don't really remember. 

You remember correctly. I guess from her perspective she tried to fixer-upper him after she decided to date him, but it didn't work.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 2

Don’t I remember an episode of “The Goldbergs” that ended with real home video of Barry becoming the new high school coach? I only watch sporadically so I could easily be confused. I’m just thinking if that happened, he and Lainey will probably cross paths again on our screens.