Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Season 17 Spoilers and Speculation

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

They're all wearing a similarly colored apron which suggests that they're a team so one of those three are likely Top 3 with the other two acting as sous chefs.

Oooh good point.

Spoilers above indicate that MALARKY makes the finale so..... that would make sense.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2020 at 1:29 PM, AriAu said:

Oooh good point.

Spoilers above indicate that MALARKY makes the finale so..... that would make sense.

Looks like that picture is actually in the previews of the next episode?

a) There is a F12 challenge, and it has Brian M, Leanne, Steph, Lisa, Nini, and Bryan on the red team.

b) There is a team challenge, in which Bryan V, Melissa, and Kevin are on another team (It looks like a F9 challenge?).  It looks outside.

c) There is a shot of what looks like a future quickfire, and it shows Lisa,Nini, Melissa, Jenn, Eric, and Gregory.  The preview for the third episode shows Kevin next to Melissa.  

d) Karen is in shot of her accidentally spilling something on the table.

So it looks like Jamie goes home next.

Based off of a) I want to say either Leanne or Lisa goes home next in the F12 challenge.

• Love 1

So it looks like Jamie goes home next.

Based off of a) I want to say either Leanne or Lisa goes home next in the F12 challenge.

Jamie looks over his head, so this would be merciful.

Please, let the Gorgon go home soon.....for non-TWOP folks that means Lisa....but if we learned anything form the Chicago season, she is damn tough to kill.

Watching the judges table, all I thought was...is there any doubt that Vegas was the best season! Yukon and Bryan V looked like they barely broke a sweat getting those dishes out and Nini had to cook her ass off just to hang on.

• Love 6

No other season has ever had that level of dominance since.

While Paul Qui had the single most dominant season in Texas (and I guess Stefan and Gregory both came close...but ultimately didn't win),   the key to that season was the depth-it was 4 of them doing it and they were hardly ever in the bottom. It was like there was never a doubt who was going to the finale. Plus there were several other chef-testants that would have done well in other seasons if not for them.

• Love 2

By the way, the picture I posted above was from this week's episode (Week 3) and was shot at the Getty and not in Rome! So, no Finale spoiler at all...sorry about that, but its placement in the preview made it seem like it!

Anyone know if we get more Ludo? He is always good on these shows with just the right snark and sneer to go with appropriate comments about the food.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, RebeccatheWriter said:

I am a complete Kevin Stan. I live near Revival and love it. 

I moved away from Atlanta a couple years ago, and not having access to Revival and GunShow any more is a huge regret.

Edited by phlebas
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Apparently from reddit: Kevin, karen, and Gregory are at least in the final 5. The last 2 is up in the air.

I can get behind that -- really like all 3.  I'd be happy if Bryan V and Melissa were the other 2 in the final 5.

• Love 6

Also apparently Marlarkey’s journal from the latest episode shows who goes in the double elimination: Spoiler

Looks like Karen/Nini leave, with Karen being the LCK winner in the end.

Partners for next episode are also: Karen/Nini (eliminated), Brian/Leeann, Gregory/Bryan, Stephanie/Eric, and Kevin/Melissa.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

In a preview clip. 

At :58.  Is that a F8 or F9 challenge?  It looks individual with a barbeque grill 
(Karen, Stephanie, Melissa?, Brian, Leanne, Gregory/Eric?

2:31 There is a 3 person group of Kevin/Melissa/Bryan V.   Looks like either a F6 or a F9 challenge?  (They looked pissed, Kevin), so that might be the bottom group?

• Love 1
On 4/19/2020 at 11:23 AM, seltzer3 said:

In a preview clip. 

At :58.  Is that a F8 or F9 challenge?  It looks individual with a barbeque grill 
(Karen, Stephanie, Melissa?, Brian, Leanne, Gregory/Eric?

2:31 There is a 3 person group of Kevin/Melissa/Bryan V.   Looks like either a F6 or a F9 challenge?  (They looked pissed, Kevin), so that might be the bottom group?

At 2:29, is that Bryan V in tears? 

Edited by wlk68
5 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

I see just a moment of frustration in the kitchen, which doesn't necessarily correlate with doing poorly in the end; & while it could be a three-person team, it could also be top 8 & one member of the team wasn't shown, or another round with unevenly sized teams (winner of quickfire chooses which team to join, or something). 

It's a tough crowd this time around, but I really feel like Kevin could take the whole thing.  I've said for years that most of the food served is avant-garde. It's designed to look nice on a plate but it isn't something that Averge Joe is going to wander into a restaurant and order. It's not supposed to appeal to the plebeians. Kevin is my all-time favorite because I could look at his food and think "Yeah, I'd definitely eat that!" Fancy food is all well and good, but this man had me the first time he had the balls to just whip up pork-chops and roast apples.  And I like to think that under all that sophistication, the judges are secretly craving more real food. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I feel like we are heading for a Kevin vs. either Gregory or Bryan finale. Which would be amazing. Though Melissa has really won me over this season. Kevin/Gregory/Melissa have won every elimination so far, with Kevin murdering the Quickfires as well.

Though, I can’t wait to see what happens if/when they hit restaurant wars, cause that’s when even the best crash and get eliminated (ala Kristen from Season 10) 

• Love 3
On 4/19/2020 at 4:46 PM, akr said:

I see just a moment of frustration in the kitchen, which doesn't necessarily correlate with doing poorly in the end; & while it could be a three-person team, it could also be top 8 & one member of the team wasn't shown, or another round with unevenly sized teams (winner of quickfire chooses which team to join, or something). 

Just realized that 2:20 looks like it is restaurant wars (With Malarkey, Melissa, Steph) look like they are on one team.  Also at 1:54 LeeAnne is burning something (looks like a restaurant wars challenge).

So I think Melissa, Kevin, Bryan make top 6.  So Karen/Gregory/Somone else is the other team.

I have a feeling it goes like this 
F9 (Eric Boot)
F8 Restaurant Wars.)  Stephanie/Leanne/Malarkey?
F7 (Watched Afterbuzz t.v.  and it was some challenge where they are outside by the mountains.  The commentator actually was one of the diners in that challenge).  Stephanie/Leanne/Malarkey?
F6.  If the Melissa/Kevin/Bryan team loses (its one of Melissa/Kevin).  If the other team loses, its the team that doesn't have Karen/Gregory.

Apparently Eric and Lee Anne are the next two boots, with Karen/Gregory/Kevin  all but guaranteed in the final 5.

I do wonder if they have 2 winners next week and they are the captains for the real restaurant wars 2 weeks from now?

Edited by CheetaraThunder
13 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Apparently Eric and Lee Anne are the next two boots, with Karen/Gregory/Karen all but guaranteed in the final 5.

Please edit this when you get the chance. I'd really like to know ahead of time who that third cheftestant is who makes the final five. ☺

• Love 1

I'd really like to know ahead of time who that third cheftestant is who makes the final five. ☺

Here is a shot of the final five: https://m.imgur.com/a/fIomfCJ

Reddit figured it out to be Kevin, Gregory, Bryan, Karen/Nini, A and Brian.

In case you weren't joking....see from Page 1 of this thread. I've looked at that picture and still can't figure it out...but at this point it is proving to be at least possible!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

For next week:

Kevins team: Kevin, Melissa, Karen, Bryan V

Gregory: Marlarkey, leeann, Stephanie,  Gregory

Now I'm curious to see the team selection process for RW next week. It can't be gym class style, because there's no way a back-and-forth selection ends up with Kevin getting the three strongest chefs still standing and Gregory the three weakest. It must be a knife draw.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Now I'm curious to see the team selection process for RW next week. It can't be gym class style, because there's no way a back-and-forth selection ends up with Kevin getting the three strongest chefs still standing and Gregory the three weakest. It must be a knife draw.

I could see it gym class style, if Kevin gets first pick (probably Melissa), then Gregory chooses Stephanie because they worked well together, & then it's Bryan V., Malarkey, Karen, Leeann.

Based on the teasers posted on Bravo for next week, things go seriously off the rails for Team Kevin during RW. I am feeling very anxious because pretty much everyone I'm still rooting for is on that team. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, wlk68 said:

Based on the teasers posted on Bravo for next week, things go seriously off the rails for Team Kevin during RW. I am feeling very anxious because pretty much everyone I'm still rooting for is on that team. 

I found it interesting that when Kevin ran through where everyone was at Bryan seemed fine, Melissa seemed fine, Kevin had a long list and Karen didn’t think she would get her’s done. Not to mention the catastrophe at the table. 

Greg looked relaxed, Stephanie was right with him, Malarkey wasn’t shown (was he?) and LeeAnne seemed to have her overload face on.

So, Karen is set to go on Kevin’s team. LeeAnne set to go on Gregory’s team. My bet is LeeAnne goes because Team Kevin pulls it miraculously together.  

I like LeeAnne too much for ‘them’ to be doing this to her.   Hope she got paid a ton to do this show. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ellee said:

I found it interesting that when Kevin ran through where everyone was at Bryan seemed fine, Melissa seemed fine, Kevin had a long list and Karen didn’t think she would get her’s done. Not to mention the catastrophe at the table. 

Greg looked relaxed, Stephanie was right with him, Malarkey wasn’t shown (was he?) and LeeAnne seemed to have her overload face on.

So, Karen is set to go on Kevin’s team. LeeAnne set to go on Gregory’s team. My bet is LeeAnne goes because Team Kevin pulls it miraculously together.  

I like LeeAnne too much for ‘them’ to be doing this to her.   Hope she got paid a ton to do this show. 

Hard to know exactly what goes wrong but something does. There's one clip where Kevin's team says something to Gregory's team about "if we had done that to you, you would be pissed". Or something to that effect. Some kind of (unintentional) sabotage?

It could all just be the way its edited. Wouldn't be the first time they've pulled a bait and switch on us.

I hope you're right that they manage to pull it together or that it's not as bad as they want us to believe..

• Love 2

This week I will not forget to DVR the episode.     Restaurant Wars isn't really my favorite, since it's not just food, but front of house, etc., but it's always explosive.    That way I won't have to watch 4 million ads to watch the online version.   

On 3/19/2020 at 8:19 AM, AttackTurtle said:

This is the only show that can actually distract me from the shit show that is the world right now.  I’m rooting for Kevin, as he is my second favorite top chef ever (Sheldon will always be my numero uno).  That being said, there are a few other really likable chefs (Leanne, Bryan, Gregory, etc...).  I liked Malarkey during his season, but have a friend who worked as a waitress where he was the chef in Seattle and she cannot stand him.  

This should be a fun season.  There are a couple dark horses, but Kevin vs. Bryan is always going to make for great competition.

I've also always loved Kevin (AND Sheldon!).  I think Kevin is the most ingenious chef from all seasons.  He creates interesting food combinations that are out of the norm which I really love.

Gregory is close to Kevin in this regard, and he seems to have the ability to pull togethe sophisticated dishes with beautiful precision.

Bryan V is known for fine dining which he does very well, but he lacks consistency. 

I feel these three are the most creative/artistic of the bunch and I would therefore like to see them as F3.

I'm bummed to learn Malarkey isn't well liked by his staff.  I'll be really surprised if he makes F3 based on how he's been cooking so far.  He would have to seriously step up his game and/or others would have to fail big time.

• Love 1

I agree with Kevin, Gregory, Bryan V (and Sheldon 😁).  

But ... what about Melissa?   I just want to see her right there too. 

I knew I’d hate to see eliminations this year.  I’ll be happy with the winner and I’ll be sad when each one goes. 

• Love 4
On 4/30/2020 at 10:15 PM, CheetaraThunder said:

For next week:

Kevins team: Kevin, Melissa, Karen, Bryan V

Gregory: Marlarkey, leeann, Stephanie,  Gregory

Poor Gregory.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Poor Gregory.

About the only thing he's got going for him is that the clearly stronger team sometimes gets overconfident.

(Well, also an interesting idea, if a harder one to get the other chefs to live up to.)

Edited by akr
  • Love 1

So are we assuming Kevin is going to be the LCK winner?

So F7 is in the mountains but (cafeteria food).

F6 is at the an arena (Looks like Leanne is gone).

918817230_TopCheffinal6.png.e288d3b9bcf1fcfc1f68a4aa004e0288.png

It looks like Malarkey and Melissa make it to the final 5?  This challenge looks like its at night, while the arena is during the day. (Jonathan Waxman is in this one)

1752792658_MelissaBrian.png.70dae47c82d7240f7e1f9dbdc3918e14.png

Voltagio was seen in a quickfire (blind taste test).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seltzer3 said:

I feel like the second person in from the left could be Karen or Leanne with their hair up in a bun. 

I suspected since Episode 1 that Kevin’s winning, and the preview showing Padma in tears announcing the winner sealed it for me. I can’t see anyone else eliciting that emotional a response from Padma but the guy who survived cancer, at a time when Fatima was likely on the forefront of her mind.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, wlk68 said:

I feel like the second person in from the left could be Karen or Leanne with their hair up in a bun. 

It looks like Karen to me.  

On 5/8/2020 at 11:47 AM, seltzer3 said:

So are we assuming Kevin is going to be the LCK winner?

So F7 is in the mountains but (cafeteria food).

It looks like Malarkey and Melissa make it to the final 5?  This challenge looks like its at night, while the arena is during the day. (Jonathan Waxman is in this one)

1752792658_MelissaBrian.png.70dae47c82d7240f7e1f9dbdc3918e14.png

Voltagio was seen in a quickfire (blind taste test).

On 5/5/2020 at 3:34 AM, Ellee said:

I agree with Kevin, Gregory, Bryan V (and Sheldon 😁).  

But ... what about Melissa?   I just want to see her right there too. 

I knew I’d hate to see eliminations this year.  I’ll be happy with the winner and I’ll be sad when each one goes. 

I think Melissa, Nene and Karen are the strongest of the females and I'd be happy if any of them make it to the end, but I think Melissa seems to be more consistent than the others.  Although, based on judges' comments, all 3 produce really good food.

I'd be surprised if Leanne gets much farther.  I don't think she has the temperment for this kind of competition.  It stresses her out and that seems to bite her in the rear quite often.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Jextella said:

I'd be surprised if Leanne gets much farther.  I don't think she has the temperment for this kind of competition.  It stresses her out and that seems to bite her in the rear quite often.

Interestingly I just caught Leanne on a 2011 episode of "Iron Chef America" where she defeated Mark Forgione.  I didn't see that coming but it did make me not want to underestimate her.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2020 at 12:43 AM, Yeah No said:

Interestingly I just caught Leanne on a 2011 episode of "Iron Chef America" where she defeated Mark Forgione.  I didn't see that coming but it did make me not want to underestimate her.

I adore her and cheered for her in that episode. That said, she has a huge issue with time management and logistically considering what she can do vs. what she can finish. 

In season 1 she went off the rails a bit with the first wedding wars. She had good ideas, but they were way too ambitious and "fiddly" to actually work in the time constraints. There were some clunkers on her team that dragged it down more, but she was at a real risk there given how poorly managed it was from her end. 

While I love her moments of brilliance, I don't see her getting much farther in the competition. 

On 5/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, dmeets said:

I suspected since Episode 1 that Kevin’s winning, and the preview showing Padma in tears announcing the winner sealed it for me. I can’t see anyone else eliciting that emotional a response from Padma but the guy who survived cancer, at a time when Fatima was likely on the forefront of her mind.

Kevin's IG and the one for his restaurant Revival had a huge amount of comments last week about Top Chef. He's of course remaining mum, but his hashtags have included #notoveryet and #notoutyet. 

He also seemed to poke a bit of fun at Padma's comment about the banana pudding being too sweet by doing a poll about should dessert be sweet.  

• Love 1
On 5/13/2020 at 10:42 AM, RebeccatheWriter said:

I adore her and cheered for her in that episode. That said, she has a huge issue with time management and logistically considering what she can do vs. what she can finish. 

In season 1 she went off the rails a bit with the first wedding wars. She had good ideas, but they were way too ambitious and "fiddly" to actually work in the time constraints. There were some clunkers on her team that dragged it down more, but she was at a real risk there given how poorly managed it was from her end. 

In fairness to Leanne, that challenge (the wedding challenge) was probably one of the most unfair/ridiculous challenges in top chef history.  Which was saying a lot.  

When everyone was presenting their menus, no one had any idea that they 24 hour prep, until after it was announced LeeAnne won the quickfire.  That meant the menu, the cake, the service, supplies all in 24 hours. I don't think anyone could have saved their menu regardless who won.  Not to mention, there were things like (LeeAnne , had fresh salmon in her menu, but they only sold frozen in the store).  Or stupid stuff like be given spoons and bowls that all had stickers on them, so everyone wasted a couple of hours peeling and washing off stickers.

There is a reason why Leanne worked behind the scenes, and there was a very different modified wedding challenge in season 4.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

In fairness to Leanne, that challenge (the wedding challenge) was probably one of the most unfair/ridiculous challenges in top chef history.  Which was saying a lot.  

When everyone was presenting their menus, no one had any idea that they 24 hour prep, until after it was announced LeeAnne won the quickfire.  That meant the menu, the cake, the service, supplies all in 24 hours. I don't think anyone could have saved their menu regardless who won.  Not to mention, there were things like (LeeAnne , had fresh salmon in her menu, but they only sold frozen in the store).  Or stupid stuff like be given spoons and bowls that all had stickers on them, so everyone wasted a couple of hours peeling and washing off stickers.

There is a reason why Leanne worked behind the scenes, and there was a very different modified wedding challenge in season 4.

Agreed. I just remember Harold having to track down Stephen who was clearly over it and out of it. The frustration rolling off of all of them was palpable there. I can't imagine how bad it would have been had Miguel (can't remember the cheese name) or some of the others been there at that point. 

Leanne is an awesome cook, but she has some time management issues and some issues with recovery on the fly if something goes wrong. 

In terms of spoiler/speculation, Kevin confirmed via a message on Instagram that they shot LCK in batches which is why all of the eliminated chefs are not there at this point. 

• Love 2

While I suspect the speculation that Padma is crying when she announces the winner to be Kevin because of his battle with cancer etc. may be right, I am going to hold out hope that she's actually crying from joy because it's GREGORY and EVERYONE LOVES GREGORY. Yeah, Kevin will probably win and I'll be a bitter bitch. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I think Padma would cry if the chef had broken down crying about the emotional experience. I don’t think it’s much to do with Kevin’s cancer, unless Kevin turned into a sobbing mess at Judge’s table (possible.) It could be BV talking about being in his brother’s shadow, Gregory breaking over his personal struggles, anything.

• Love 3
On 5/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, dmeets said:

I thought the same thing.....or it is someone else who they underestimated. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The thing I remember from that snippet is that there is a lot a female sounding screams of excitement/joy in the background when Padma announces the winner. Are those screams from family, friends, the other cheftestants? The winner themselves? I've spent a lot of time speculating. 

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 1