Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

Not sure if this is the right thread- so sorry mods :)  

Does anyone know approximately how much of the show BBC America cuts for commercials?  I had watched on DVD and download, but for the first time I am caught up, so I'll be watching season 9 in real time.  My DVR recorded an episode the other day and I sat down to watch, but I definitely noticed scenes were missing.  Will they be doing that with the new season too?

Not sure if this is the right thread- so sorry mods :)  

Does anyone know approximately how much of the show BBC America cuts for commercials?  I had watched on DVD and download, but for the first time I am caught up, so I'll be watching season 9 in real time.  My DVR recorded an episode the other day and I sat down to watch, but I definitely noticed scenes were missing.  Will they be doing that with the new season too?

I'm not certain of the number of minutes cut from the show for commercials, but I do know that the first broadcast is generally longer, so I'm certain to tape that one.  Subsequent showings will be slightly different, because they add in commercials. 

• Love 1

Not sure if this is 'in the media' but a Doctor Who 'Adults' Colouring book is being released. The front cover looks neat, it would be great to see what is inside, I think the Doctor Who Universe could allow for some great patterns and scenes.

I sent myself a link to it earlier today because I thought it might make a nice birthday or Christmas gift for a grand-nephew who will be 9. Is it really "Adult" as in tight bodices on the females, etc.?

I sent myself a link to it earlier today because I thought it might make a nice birthday or Christmas gift for a grand-nephew who will be 9. Is it really "Adult" as in tight bodices on the females, etc.?

Lol no, I mean as in the current craze of adults doing colouring in :D I put it in quotations as in a sort of adult but anyone really :D

• Love 1

Well, maybe between that and the report in another thread (or maybe this one) that the BBC's annoyed with Moffat for spending so much time on Sherlock to the detriment of DW, something will be done and he'll kindly be asked to move on.  We can but hope.

• Love 3

I've been surprised that every episode I've seen the opening credits for had Moffat as the writer. I had the impression that RTD shared a lot more of the load with other writers (including Moffat's own best work) back in the day. Are Paul Cornell, Mark Gatiss, and Chris Chibnall too busy with other projects to pitch in?

Mark Gatiss is in on Sherlock with Moffat.  I think they probably are putting more of their attention into Sherlock and paying less attention to Doctor Who.  I haven't liked the direction that Moffat has taken Doctor Who.  It would be nice if he moved on.  

Also, I'm getting tired of his way over the top mortal enemies.  He made Moriarity an over the top loon as well. 

I thought Moffat was an excellent writer.  The Empty Child/Doctor Dances are a favorite.  As a show runner, he's been a disappointment. 

• Love 1

Davies wrote 31 episodes as showrunner; Moffat will be at 35 by this year's Christmas special.

I think the problem is twofold. First, after season one, Davies used his episodes as bookends on their seasons (Love & Monsters was moved an episode earlier than planned because of the issues with Fear Her, and Gridlock was moved an episode later so they could switch the New Earth/Celebrity Historical episodes in season three, but they're the only two episodes of his that weren't), while Moffat seems to spread his episodes around and feels more omnipresent as a result.

Secondly, Davies gave his writers looser concepts to work with and trusted them to deliver good results that stood out because of their own styles (season one episodes by other writers: The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Fathers' Day, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances), while Moffat seems to want every episode to either be a conceptual or timey-wimey mess, a story about a kid who does something and everything is fixed by Magic Love, or a sight gag with 40 minutes of filler around it. Pretty much the only episode that doesn't fit any of those categories is Vincent and the Doctor, which is clearly the best Moffat-era episode.

• Love 1

BBC America didn't do any favors re-airing some really good, past Doctor Who episodes recently.  After watching those, the premiere episode of the new season of Doctor Who was even more disappointing.

I've also given up on trying to like Peter Capaldi's Doctor.  I just find him irritating and unappealing - and it's not his age.  I loved John Hurt's War Doctor.  Peter Capaldi's quirkiness seems forced and I don't find him authoritative or charismatic.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I think the problem is twofold. First, after season one, Davies used his episodes as bookends on their seasons (Love & Monsters was moved an episode earlier than planned because of the issues with Fear Her, and Gridlock was moved an episode later so they could switch the New Earth/Celebrity Historical episodes in season three, but they're the only two episodes of his that weren't), while Moffat seems to spread his episodes around and feels more omnipresent as a result.

Secondly, Davies gave his writers looser concepts to work with and trusted them to deliver good results that stood out because of their own styles (season one episodes by other writers: The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Fathers' Day, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances), while Moffat seems to want every episode to either be a conceptual or timey-wimey mess, a story about a kid who does something and everything is fixed by Magic Love, or a sight gag with 40 minutes of filler around it. Pretty much the only episode that doesn't fit any of those categories is Vincent and the Doctor, which is clearly the best Moffat-era episode.

I guess it's a matter of taste, because I found much of the Davies era to be too noisy and non-compelling and rather gimmicky.  There were exceptions to the rule (Human Nature, Family of Blood) but many of those episodes are just unwatchable for me. My personal most favorite episode, Blink, was written by Moffat and filmed during Davies' run.  And while I liked Vincent and the Doctor, I loved Amy's Choice, The Lodger, The Doctor's Wife, and think they are excellent examples of telling a great story.  I rather like having an arc in the story-telling that runs through the season.

I have enjoyed many of the episodes from Capaldi's turn as the doctor, Listen was my favorite from last year, and a close second was Flatline.  Also enjoyed the Caretaker.  

What I find to be true with ALL of the episodes, though, is that I have to rewatch them multiple times, to get the most enjoyment out of them. 

• Love 3

What I find to be true with ALL of the episodes, though, is that I have to rewatch them multiple times, to get the most enjoyment out of them. 

And there's the rub (for me, anyway).  The Capaldi era is the first time in NuWho history I don't want to re-watch the episodes.  Any of them.  As tv echo says, BBCA ran some really good older episodes in their build-up to the Season 9 premiere.  There are episodes from every season that I'll stop and watch if they happen to be on, and there are some episodes that I just love.  I can't say that about anything from Season 8/9.  Everything's one and done.  I also don't understand how the show can still be figuring out Capaldi's Doctor after all this time.  He's had more episodes than Eccleston's entire run!

• Love 1

And there's the rub (for me, anyway).  The Capaldi era is the first time in NuWho history I don't want to re-watch the episodes.  Any of them.  As tv echo says, BBCA ran some really good older episodes in their build-up to the Season 9 premiere.  There are episodes from every season that I'll stop and watch if they happen to be on, and there are some episodes that I just love.  I can't say that about anything from Season 8/9.  Everything's one and done.  I also don't understand how the show can still be figuring out Capaldi's Doctor after all this time.  He's had more episodes than Eccleston's entire run!

Well, I've felt that way about a number of episodes, but usually on a rewatch, my opinion changes. Some that I didn't like at all on first view, I find I enjoy so much more on the second and third rewatch.

• Love 1

I would love to watch last night's Doctor Who if COMCAST WOULD PUT IT UP ON ONDEMAND!!!!!

I don't get BBCA on Demand either and it bugs me (Charter Cable).  But they do repeat last weeks show before the new one airs every week.  You probably already know that.

Well, I've felt that way about a number of episodes, but usually on a rewatch, my opinion changes. Some that I didn't like at all on first view, I find I enjoy so much more on the second and third rewatch.

I have to agree.  I watched a lot of the season 8 marathon right before they started season 9 and was surprised that there were several episodes I liked better on rewatch.  

Big, Big, News coming soon, according to the official Twitter: https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/649629626399129600

Any guesses? New showrunner? New companion?

I wish it were a combinatin of new showrunner/new companion/lost episodes found.

If I had to guess, I'd say new companion.  If not, then some lost episodes have been found.  A new showrunner would be big and wonderful news but I'm not sure if it would be announced in this manner.

Edited by benteen

I'm leaning more towards missing episodes found.

EDIT: Doctor Who's official Twitter posted this a little while ago...

We’ll bring you the BIG announcement as soon as we can... It will be some time tonight and PLEASE don’t worry… It’s great news!!!

Notice they capitalized the word "Big" in the tweet.  My guess is that they are confirming the news of Big Finish doing a new Tenth Doctor and Donna audio.

Edited by benteen

Spin-off!

BBC Three announces Doctor Who Spin Off

BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

Steven Moffat says, “No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!”

On his first television series, writer Patrick Ness says, "I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself. There's so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three adds, “We’re excited to give Patrick Ness this opportunity to work with us at BBC Three and the Doctor Who family. Patrick understands young audiences and I’m delighted he will use his incredible skills as a storyteller to delight audiences on BBC Three. BBC Three will always innovate and offer opportunities for brilliant new talent."

Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning, adds, “I am thrilled that Patrick Ness is writing his first drama series for BBC Three. The combination of Patrick and Steven Moffat, is an exciting partnership that has created a brilliant Doctor Who spin off for our BBC Three audience.”

Class is executive produced by Steven Moffatt, Patrick Ness and Brian Minchin. It was commissioned by Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three and Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning.

An 8 x 45 minute series produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three.

The series will film in and around Wales from Spring, 2016 and be on air next year.

Ness's books are brilliant. Highly recommend More Than This and The Rest of Us Just Live Here.

This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!”

I wonder if this is connected at all to the upcoming Goosebumps movie.   "Goosebumps" is the series by R.L. Stine which could loosely be described as growing up in modern America - but with monsters!

Or the Degrassi High version of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Oh, and Moffat?  Could you please take a hint from Mr. Ness and bring some "all-new villains and aliens" over to the parent show?  Just give it a try.  It won't hurt.

As benteen said, what a disappointment.  This is exactly what Doctor Who fans have been asking for all these years.  Except that it's not.  Not at all.

• Love 4

Some updates from Ness: https://twitter.com/patrick_ness

So, going to bed, but:

1. Not the casting director, sorry.

2. Yes, it will definitely air in America.

3. No, no Clara.

4. That's it for now

But truly, I am thrilled and amazed at this. I've got some evil, evil stories I can't wait to tell...

One last thing, getting a few queries about "YA = light". Ha ha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah, no.

Mixed on this one.

Pros

- A spin-off. Always a pro and shows a confidence in the main show. Not to mention the fact that we haven't had one since 2011.
- Ness seems like a really nice bloke and a great writer.
- Should certainly help in promoting the online version of BBC3 by next year.
- Could/should feature one or two familiar characters. More Ian/12th Doctor than Courtney (though she's more likely tbh).

Cons

- There are better/more interesting ideas (Paternoster Gang, UNIT)for a spin-off than Coal Hill.
- Casting needs to be great for this one. Really great because Whoverse can be a mixed bag for younger actors.
- I think it's an indicator that Series 10 might be spread over two years as well, ala Series 7 was.

Yes!  Can we please FINALLY get a freakin Ian Chesterton appearance if the show is set at Coal Hill School?!

This show may very well turn out to be good and hopefully it does.  But it's still a disappointment to me.  I'd rather a spinoff focus on established characters if there's going to be one.

Let's face it, the current BBC brass would never have considered Moffat leaving or Clara falling off her high horse and onto a hand mine as good news.

The spinoff involving Coal Hill School is an interesting nod to Doctor Who history, but what made the previous spinoffs work for me were them centering on top shelf companions (played by highly charismatic actors) whose stories I was really interested in seeing more of. William Russel is about to turn 91, so I don't see him having that prominent a role in the new show. Now if they get Carole Ann Ford to reprise her role as Susan Foreman, I'll get excited.

• Love 3

Capaldi already wants to go? :( I feel like because of how bad last season was that we may never get a chance to see how awesome he could be.

I'm hoping with the departure of Clara things may look up. Hopefully.

Isn't a major reason for the past two weeks due to running the show against the rugby championship?

Rugby World Cup - slightly more than a championship. ;) And yes, the past two weeks have been up against pretty big games. Although I'm sure a lot of England fans this weekend may have wished they'd watched Doctor Who instead!

If ratings are in crisis, the bigwigs are going to panic whatever the reason, though. I just hope the blame is directed at the writing, not the actors. It's a new showrunner with a new vision that's needed to shake things up, not a new Doctor.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

Rugby World Cup - slightly more than a championship. ;) And yes, the past two weeks have been up against pretty big games. Although I'm sure a lot of England fans this weekend may have wished they'd watched Doctor Who instead!

If ratings are in crisis, the bigwigs are going to panic whatever the reason, though. I just hope the blame is directed at the writing, not the actors. It's a new showrunner with a new vision that's needed to shake things up, not a new Doctor.

I've been vocal about this new Doctor, new season, etc..and even I hope tptb give Capaldi a chance at being the Doctor with a different set of companions, writers, show runner, etc.

• Love 3

I agree with all those things.  New showrunner, definitely...he's not well-served by Moffat.  A new companion that's tailored more to 12 is another one...it really feels like Clara is staying past her welcome.

• Love 1

A big no thanks to Richard Madden being in consideration to replace Capaldi. We just got a Doctor that has the proper amount of gravitas and reserve again, I do not want a Doctor who looks like he should be in grad school and makes me want to lick my television screen whenever he smiles.

Another big problem with Richard Madden is that he may be too associated with Game of Thrones for a lot of people to take him seriously.  Peter Davison had the same problem when he took over the role - everyone saw him as "Tristan in space".  Even Tom Baker says this in the "Logopolis" extras about being replaced not by Peter Davison, but "by a bloody vet".

I think, although he'd make a great Doctor, Hugh Laurie would have the same problem.  He's so ingrained as House in so many peoples' heads now.  The best Doctors seem to be the ones that are lesser known before they take the part.

It would be a shame if Capaldi did step down (or was forced to step down) after such a short run, as he's such a fan of the show, and you can tell he's putting everything he's got into it.

Edited by Ringthane
  • Love 1

I never thought about Hugh Laurie playing The Doctor, but I think it would be awesome.  House has been off the air for a while. I remember him for a lot of other roles as well.  

I would rather not see Capaldi leave - unless he really does just want to spend time with his family. But I like him as The Doctor.  I don't know what it it with the companions. It is like every companion has to "out-special" the previous ones.  Once you get the one who was born to save The Doctor - right down to telling him what Tardis to steal, where do yo go from there? Speaking of House - the story of The Impossible Girl sort of negates The Doctor's Wife angle. For me it does anyway. I suppose you can fan-wank it anyway you like. 

• Love 1

It is like every companion has to "out-special" the previous ones. Once you get the one who was born to save The Doctor - right down to telling him what Tardis to steal, where do yo go from there? Speaking of House - the story of The Impossible Girl sort of negates The Doctor's Wife angle. For me it does anyway. I suppose you can fan-wank it anyway you like.

Well I go with “The Doctor’s wife stuff is how it happened, the GI tried to swerve it and Clara “course corrected” before it went off the road” or some other handwave. No way is Clara more important to where/with which TARDIS The Doctor ended up than the actual TARDIS.

Both Davies and Moffatt are guilty of “most special girl ever” in NuWho. I think Martha is the only “normal” non sparkly cosmic companion among them and even she puts every evangelist ever to shame with her powers of persuasion. She’s also the one who had the best life after leaving the Doctor and left on her own terms.

Moffatt kicked it up a notch starting with Reinette (insta Doctor relationship) River (nuff said) Amy and now literally the one born to save the Doctor. How does he top that? The Doctor’s *other*daughter/grandaughter? Girl who turns out to be created by the Doctor as his perfect companion (creepy reused S1 concept). One who becomes the new heart of the TARDIS?

I do think Clara needs to be retired more than Twelve and Moffat for definite, let someone else put their own dynamic on Twelve and someone with other ideas about companions.