Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

http://time.com/3647321/jenna-coleman-stays-for-one-more-season-of-doctor-who/

I'm so unhappy about this. I like JLC, but Moffat has made Clara the worst and most insufferable character I've encountered in the show's universe. I cannot stand the character or the way she has supplanted the Doctor himself on the show -- and now will continue to do so through Season 9? AGHGHGHG.

The worst part is, not only has a Companion completely taken over the show, but we're forced to watch that Companion do utterly inane stuff and then treat the Doctor and his travels with exasperation and loathing.

• Love 3

http://time.com/3647321/jenna-coleman-stays-for-one-more-season-of-doctor-who/

I'm so unhappy about this. I like JLC, but Moffat has made Clara the worst and most insufferable character I've encountered in the show's universe. I cannot stand the character or the way she has supplanted the Doctor himself on the show -- and now will continue to do so through Season 9? AGHGHGHG.

The worst part is, not only has a Companion completely taken over the show, but we're forced to watch that Companion do utterly inane stuff and then treat the Doctor and his travels with exasperation and loathing.

(sigh). I know. I was really, really hoping for No More Clara,  but, nope. whatever. If we're honest it's not like the next companion wouldn't be exactly the same anyway.  Moffat only knows how to write women one way. 

A neat casting announcement via the BBC and the Doctor Who twitter accounts.

Article on Deadline here.

Thanks for that. Interesting.

Got to admit, though, that I'm beyond tired of all the hyperbole. Like this: Although her role is being kept under wraps, lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat did offer that “she is going to challenge the Doctor in very unexpected ways. This time he might just be out of his depth, and we know Maisie is going to give him exactly the right sort of hell.” We keep being told that this or that is going to be completely new, different, unexpected, a challenge the Doctor has never faced before, the worst ever this or the worst ever that - phrases that no longer have any meaning, because we've heard it all before. I suppose I just wish the show would stop trying to top itself all the time, because it becomes absurd and reductive - and self-defeating, as every new high or low will immediately be undermined.

• Love 1

The hyperbole Moffat spouts is ignorable but really, is it any worse than the hyperbole any other showrunner spouts about their show? People need to stop taking the hype so seriously or personally in some cases to be honest.

Maisie is amazing casting and I love that both Mathieson and Tregenna are penning episodes for the new series.

Edited by darkestboy
  • Love 1

I just find it tiresome that Moffat feels the need to have yet another female character come along and give the Doctor his comeuppance, I mean we get it. I swear the Capaldi run so far has been nothing but trashing the Doctor and making the character seem less and less significant or capable. It's almost like after Moffat was absurdly called a "misogynist" this is his overreaction. 

Well, either that or Doctor Who's fanbase is now girls and young women and he's just playing to the base, which is entirely possible and understandable I suppose.

Davros returning for Series 9. Take with a pinch of salt this one.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=164342

Taking with a big pinch of salt. The article itself is contradictory. First it talks about going back and encountering the young Davros and having to decide whether or not to kill him before he creates the Daleks (itself basically just the concept of Genesis of the Daleks ripped off and re-written) and then it talks about Davros taking the Doctor hostage to save the Daleks from dying out. If Davros is young and the Daleks haven't been invented, how can he want to stop them dying out?

Genesis of the Daleks is a particular fave of mine - partly because it's one of my favourite TARDIS teams. But I also - and I may be in a minority here - enjoy the measured pace of it, six episodes of total immersion in this grim, last ditch battle between the Thals and the Daleks. The story is told 1970s style, and with Terry Nation stylings, but there's a weight and gravitas to it that I simply can't picture in a 45-minute Moffat story. I hope I'm wrong, but if it comes off I'll probably be back in here all angry in a few months time. *sigh*

I just find it tiresome that Moffat feels the need to have yet another female character come along and give the Doctor his comeuppance, I mean we get it. I swear the Capaldi run so far has been nothing but trashing the Doctor and making the character seem less and less significant or capable. It's almost like after Moffat was absurdly called a "misogynist" this is his overreaction. 

Well, either that or Doctor Who's fanbase is now girls and young women and he's just playing to the base, which is entirely possible and understandable I suppose.

Well I'm a female viewer and I can't stand seeing the lead character of this show, a character with 50 years of show history behind him, repeatedly torn down so that a fly-by-night current character can be made to look good in comparison. That isn't playing to the 'fanbase'. It's making the same mistakes that were made back in the 1970s but in reverse. Back then, the weaker writers would make the companions do something stupid so that the Doctor would look better by comparison - now the Doctor is made to look stupid so that the companion will look better by comparison. Both approaches are completely missing the point that a truly strong character doesn't need anyoneone else to be torn down in order to prop them up, because they already stand on their own merit - two strong characters don't cancel each other out, they complement one another. As a female viewer, I do not want to see male characters trashed so that the female characters can shine in comparison. I want to see all characters treated with the respect they deserve.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 7

Well said, Llywela.

I'll also take that story with a grain of salt.  Genesis of the Daleks was one of my favorite Classic Who stories and one of the best stories they've ever done but I have no desire to see what sounds like a rehash of it. 

• Love 1

All of what happened in season 8 and what is now being said in the articles is breaking my little Doctor Who heart.  It reminds me of all the retconning the series Enterprise did to the Star Trek franchise.

...except they did it from the past whereas DW is messing with things from the future.  (smiling through the tears)

• Love 2

Back in February the Twitterverse and other social media went nuts when word got out that the BBC would be removing most of its shows from Netflix. Within a few days, they changed their minds, and the shows remained. Thank goodness! I read that the BBC wants to start its own streaming service. Does this mean there will be no new Doctor Who episodes on Netflix/Hulu?

Edited by eXiled

Back in February the Twitterverse and other social media went nuts when word got out that the BBC would be removing most of its shows from Netflix. Within a few days, they changed their minds, and the shows remained. Thank goodness! I read that the BBC wants to start its own streaming service. Does this mean there will be no new Doctor Who episodes on Netflix/Hulu?

The Beeb have been talking about their own streaming service for a few years now. It hasn't happened yet. If it comes off, I don't know what their plans would be for new material, but my understanding is that they see it as a possible means of providing access to their archive, much of which has never been released on DVD. It would be an enormous project to make it all available, though.

There has been talk that any future missing Doctor Who episodes that turn up might be released on this streaming service rather than on DVD - talk fuelled by the fact that the orphan episode of Underwater Menace that surfaced in 2011 has never been officially released in any format - it is now the only extant episode of Doctor Who that has never been released.

Edited by Llywela

Thanks, Llywela :) I finally got through Season 7. Now that I've finally grown used to Eleven, I must get to know Twelve. I guess I have to watch BBC America and try to catch the eps in order to get my fix. They're constantly running marathons, but the shows are frequently not in order.

My mind is absolutely blown by the concept that Doctor Who will now be airing in the US on DISNEY XD channel.

I mean... that's for KIDS SHOWS!  Heh.

My mind is absolutely blown by the concept that Doctor Who will now be airing in the US on DISNEY XD channel.

I mean... that's for KIDS SHOWS!  Heh.

I was so glad to see this here on the forum.  And thank you, Kromm for including the video link!  I seem to learn about new Dr. Who news while on vacation.  This is just the latest example.  The hotel TV got Disney XD, (we don't at home) in addition to seeing the last "Phineas and Ferb" episode, I saw this promo.  And while my family was able to see the P&F episode again at another hotel on Disney XD, the Doctor Who promo never seemed to re-air.  It is frustrating to try to explain that I saw "Rose and Ten"  and the TARDIS without being able to show them the clip.  At least they know me well enough to know I wasn't seeing things.  :0)

I mean... that's for KIDS SHOWS! Heh.

http://youtu.be/lqBLDA-p5R4

I thought the original show was targeted towards kids, no? DisneyXD is for tweens/teens. I have no problem with a new generation being exposed to Doctor Who. Let it live on as long as it can. In fact, I can catch old shows when BBCA isn't showing it.

(edited)

The 2015 San Diego Comic Con is happening right now.  On July 9th there will be a Doctor Who panel in Hall H (the largest hall).  Fans are lining up overnight to get good seats at tomorrow's panel.  Peter Capaldi stopped by the line to greet the fans camping out:

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20150708/comic-con-2015-peter-capaldi-of-doctor-who-visits-fans-in-hall-h-line

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 1

There was a promo for the new season of Doctor Who during Jonathan Strange last night. The new season starts on September 19th....and I think I saw Arya Stark.

If that is the same Arya played by Maisie Williams, then...Yes, yes, you did.

(check out the last page of the season 9 spoiler thread)

Eh, who knows. I think Moffat should step back from one of them IMHO, since I think he long since joined RTD in "levels of over stetchedness" and that guy had been thinking about peacing out for ages before we had any confirmation (per The Writer's Tale). I've personally thought every season after S5 was a lucky dip of interesting ideas randomly combined with plot and WTF?. They might not be trying to edge him out exactly but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they were thinking of "resting" Who for a year again due to budget and burnout. The ratings are good enough that it will almost certainly return but anticipation seems fairly low this year. I love Capaldi generally and really hope he gets there for me this season. 

• Love 1

I've no doubt that Who is coming up for another rest period inbetween seasons, but I'd far rather Moffat took time out to focus on each show in turn. He's not a machine, they guy wants to see his kids grow up. I'm not one of the nut jobs who thinks he ows Doctor Who every waking moment of his life.

• Love 1

Since BBC-A has been running commercial for these episodes as "The Doctor's Finest", I thought I would take a chance a post my question here.  I seem to have come into the middle of the Ten/Martha "finest" episodes.  Does anyone know if there were any Nine/Rose episodes at all?  "Dalek"  and the two part "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" should be on that list.

Here's the whole list of the "finest." Draw your own conclusions. Personally, I'm a little underwhelmed. 

Saturday, August 15

Blink

The Waters of Mars

Saturday, August 22

8/7c – The End of Time 

Saturday, August 29

Vincent and the Doctor

The Doctor’s Wife

Saturday, September 5

The Day of the Doctor

Saturday, September 12

The Time of the Doctor

Friday, September 18

Deep Breath

oops. too slow!

I'm wondering if they don't mean "things you should know about the Doctor going into season 9" but since that makes a terrible title they opted for "The Doctor's Finest" instead.

Edited by Raingirlkm
  • Love 1

Well, Blink is on almost everyone's list as a great episode.  Hated Midnight.  Not a big fan of The Waters of Mars, either.  I would have rather have them repeat The Snowmen than The Time of the Doctor.  But I think they're just trying to bring people up to speed about the current Doctor. 

There was a click bait for Netflix about "shows to binge on" - Who's (whose) picture is there but Nine!

Later in the day it was Eleven.  I may have to get Netflix just to rewatch "season 1".