Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 4/7/2020 at 5:02 PM, HauntedBathroom said:

Whodathunkit? Moffat can give Jodie a credible Doctor-ish voice that works!! If only he was still involved with the series...

It ends up quite self-referential, but it’s great that he wrote for a Doctor not his own. I appreciate all these little things we’ve been getting during the pandemic shutdown (UK and US alike) from present and past show runners and cast and crew, from short stories to videos to episode rewatches. Such a great spirit of cooperation right now

Wouldn’t it be great if Moffat and/or Davies end up writing episodes for Series 13 and maybe 14? 

Another PSA from Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

Ahead of another episode fan watch, this time The Doctor’s Wife a little later today, Neil Gaiman with Arthur Danville has created another Lockdown treat, a video short titled Rory’s story

• Love 7

Overall, quite a lovely tribute to both Sarah Jane and Elizabeth Sladen.

Given RTD wrote it, I'm choosing to regard that mention of the "nice couple from Australia, Tegan & Nyssa" is as canon as it gets.

• Love 4

Man, that was really nice, and I never watched SJA. Good on some former Who and SJA cast members to make cameos. I half expected Jodie as the Doctor to pop in. I guess RTD wrote as if they didn’t know the Doctor was a woman now

2 hours ago, MerelyAFan said:

Given RTD wrote it, I'm choosing to regard that mention of the "nice couple from Australia, Tegan & Nyssa" is as canon as it gets.

Not to mention Luke (Tommy Knight, starting at 9:58) talking about how Sarah Jane first encouraged him to connect with Sanjay, his husband of 5 years. Lovely.

• Love 2

Note that after that Sarah Jane final story was released, there was another global Who fan rewatch via Twitter, this time of The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End two parter from Series 4, using the hashtag #SubwaveNetwork if you want to look back on the comments. It had RTD and several cast members and crew tweeting including David Tennent and Catherine Tate

Next rewatch is Human Nature/Family of Blood two parter on Friday

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MerelyAFan said:

This is the first mention of Sarah Jane’s passing, so for canonical purposes that means Sarah Jane lived until 2020. Ever since Lis Sladen passed, I wondered how it would ultimately be handled, and I’m glad RTD was the one who found a way to do it.

• Love 1

Man, leave it to RTD to be making me cry again! That was gorgeous - the whole thing, but especially the ending. When I saw the narrator (that's Jacob Dudman, right, who did those Tenth and Eleventh Doctor audios for Big Finish?), I wasn't expecting any cast members, and so seeing Katy pop up, followed by the others, put an enormous smile on my face through the tears. Daniel, Tommy, and Anjli were all wonderful.

RTD is still my favorite Who showrunner because he was able to write so much emotion into his series. That Sarah Jane Farewell shows just that. I'm glad they got the actors to participate, so it felt like a proper goodbye to a great character. 

• Love 2

Regarding the Stolen Earth/Journey's End rewatch, RTD noted in a tweet that his first idea was to have the Meta Crisis Doctor go to the Shadow Proclamation and bring the Judoon back to fight the Daleks in an epic space battle. But he didn't even script it because he figured it would be way over budget

On 4/19/2020 at 6:28 PM, MerelyAFan said:

Not gonna lie. I cried. Many thanks, RTD. How lovely of so many actors to take part - and their willing partners to help with the camera work (the reason Sacha Dhawan gets an acknowledgement in the credits, incidentally: he is Anjli Mohindra's partner).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Another Lockdown goodie. A prologue to the Human Nature/Family of Blood two-parter (which will be the subject of a global fan rewatch a little later today). Written by Who writer Paul Cornell, titled "Shadow of a Doubt"

• Love 2
23 hours ago, DanaK said:

From 10 Doctors to the doctors, a thank you to the NHS and frontline workers. 

Love this!  Thank you for posting!

Do you know why Nine is missing?

1 minute ago, elle said:

Love this!  Thank you for posting!

Do you know why Nine is missing?

As I think I understand it, Chris believes the people should not be responsible for providing charity to the NHS, that it should be the government’s responsibility to fund them, so he didn’t want to be involved in this charity event

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, DanaK said:

As I think I understand it, Chris believes the people should not be responsible for providing charity to the NHS, that it should be the government’s responsibility to fund them, so he didn’t want to be involved in this charity event

Thanks for the info.  Also missing is the War Doctor.  Do you know the story there?

5 minutes ago, elle said:

Thanks for the info.  Also missing is the War Doctor.  Do you know the story there?

If you mean John Hurt, he died in 2017

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1

Such a sweet thing to do during these tough times

Also, Paul Cornell's 2 short stories about 13 seems to show a good understanding of her personality. I hope he gets a chance to write for her in the TV show.

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, DanaK said:

But the Big Night In was not fundraising for the NHS. It was a special combination of two regular annual telethons, Comic Relief and Children in Need, both of which provide essential funding to a multitude of small community-based charitable organisations across the UK, all of which offer vital support to the vulnerable - who have been hard hit by the pandemic. That does include an NHS mental health support organisation but that is just one of many beneficiaries. None of the monies raised go to the NHS itself, which is funded by taxpayers - so objecting to fundraising on behalf of the NHS can't be the reason for Eccleston's non-involvement, because that wasn't what the event was for. It was raising money to support vulnerable people who are even more vulnerable than ever right now. It was also aimed at bringing the nation together for an evening of entertainment, and all the celebrities involved went above and beyond to make it special. I watched the whole thing live, it was lovely. I cried more than once, seeing the updates on some of the community projects they support and how hard they've been hit by the crisis. Plus, all monies raised on the night were matched by the government, so...they are paying up.

It's a shame Eccleston didn't take part. As the only living Doctor not to be involved, his absence was glaring. I know he's had issues with his time as the Doctor, but I thought he was past all that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DanaK said:

Also, Paul Cornell's 2 short stories about 13 seems to show a good understanding of her personality. I hope he gets a chance to write for her in the TV show.

Definitely. I loved Cornell's episodes and have been wanting him to write for the show again for years. His quarantine stories definitely reassure me that Thirteen would be in good hands with him.

I've come to the determination that my heart will probably grow three sizes if, at some point through all this, we get a video chat of various Doctors catching up with each other in lockdown. Wonder how many of the actors have easy access to their old costumes (or even just parts of their old costumes - it's not like a lot of them would need their coats when they've been stuck inside for weeks on end), and who could write a nice little multi-Doctor short for us?

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, angora said:

I've come to the determination that my heart will probably grow three sizes if, at some point through all this, we get a video chat of various Doctors catching up with each other in lockdown.

Honestly, I would get a kick out of them just being themselves talking about their time as the Doctor and afterwards and giving advice to each other

• Love 4

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/time-lord-victorious-a-new-multi-platform-adventure?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=time_lord_victorious&utm_content=news

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-04-27/doctor-who-time-lord-victorious/

The BBC has announced a new Doctor Who project “Time Lord Victorious”, a multi-platform epic adventure that will involve the 8th, 9th and 10th Doctors, Rose Tyler and several returning monsters, like the Daleks and the Ood . It will span books, comics, escape rooms, audio, etc over a 12 week period and is set to launch later this year. There aren’t many details yet and it’s unknown if the actors themselves will be involved or just their likenesses. More details will be revealed in the coming months

The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine has some pretty good stuff in it. In current showrunner Chris Chibnall's Production Notes section, he talks about everyone missing normal. He indicates post-production of the Dalek special is being worked on and pre-production of Series 13 continues. He also talks about the various videos that Jodie has done in lockdown as the Doctor. For the first one, while in lockdown, he starts thinking about doing something to make the kids feel better about the situation. As he starts thinking more about what to say, Jodie messages him that she's had a thought about a video message given she has a copy of her costume at home. They then go back and forth on a script that Chibnall has written and finally agree on something. Jodie makes the video and it goes to his production people for processing. It then has to go through various levels of the BBC for approval given the sensitivity of the situation. After the video is posted, they are flooded with responses, particularly from parents. The clip is played in full on BBC radio and is shown on BBC News. Jodie then let Chibnall know she's been asked to front a PSA and she wants to do it as the Doctor and she wants him to write it and we saw the results of that. He also indicates a real appreciation of the fans coming together to help each other through the current times, including the tweetalongs of past episodes. He and others have also been posting short stories to help keep the connection.

There's also an article where former showrunners Russell Davies and Steven Moffat interview each other about Who. It's a lot of fun. They also indicate they watch the new Doctor's episodes live or almost live.

• Love 4

Steven Moffat wrote a short video sequel to "The Girl in the Fireplace" entitled "Pompadour" as part of the fan watchalong earlier today. Voiced by Sophia Myles

• Love 1

New video short "The Zygon Isolation" created for the Lockdown as part of today's fan tweetalong for the Zygon Invasion/Zygon Inversion two parter. Written by Peter Harness and starring Ingrid Oliver as Osgood

• Love 1

Thanks, @DanaK! That was a silly bit of fun. I loved that the War Doctor's avatar was standing in front of an empty toilet-paper aisle with "NO MORE" spray-painted on the shelf. The writing for Thirteen was cringey, though.

For my money, the best impressions were

• Two (like scary good)
  • Four (he had Tom Baker down pat)
  • Nine (amazing! Sign that guy up for Big Finish)
  • Ten (uncanny)
  • Eleven (I love Jacob Dudman's Eleven, it's perfect!)
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, angora said:

Thanks, @DanaK! That was a silly bit of fun. I loved that the War Doctor's avatar was standing in front of an empty toilet-paper aisle with "NO MORE" spray-painted on the shelf. The writing for Thirteen was cringey, though.

For my money, the best impressions were

• Two (like scary good)
  • Four (he had Tom Baker down pat)
  • Nine (amazing! Sign that guy up for Big Finish)
  • Ten (uncanny)
  • Eleven (I love Jacob Dudman's Eleven, it's perfect!)

Agreed. It's a shame that all the still-living actors couldn't have lent their voices for the occasion, but the Big Finish voice actors for most of them were so good you'd barely know it wasn't the real thing. Debra Stephenson's Thirteen was the only sour note, for me - the writing for her was weak and she didn't quite nail the voice. But the rest were great. Wonderful to have a story with all the Doctors (except Ruth) together like that!

• Love 1
(edited)

Another Lockdown treat: A rendition of Murray Gold’s The Long Song from The Who episode The Rings Of Akhaten by Jana Marie Gropp and a chorus of 300 fans around the world. This is ahead of a global fan tweetalong of Rings of Akhaten. It appears this will be the last Lockdown tweetalong as the UK starts to reopen (ETA: I was in error; it appears there will be two more after this)

Edited by DanaK
(edited)

Another Doctor Who Lockdown treat: Audio (with some video) short created as sequel to recent New Earth/Gridlock fan tweetalong titled The Secret of Novice Hame. Written by RTD, music by Murray Gold, and a special appearance by David Tennant as The Doctor. This is the 2nd to the last specials for the Lockdown tweetarounds

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

Final treat for the Who Lockdown stuff. Audio/video sequel short to World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls two parter, titled "The Best of Days. Written by Stephen Moffat, and starring Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts and Matt Lucas as Nydole. The actual tweetalong of the two parter has been canceled due to fan concerns for the material amidst current events

• Love 2
(edited)

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/jodie-whittaker-thanks-fans-for-sign-language-version-of-her-song-yellow

Cultbox has a nice article on a group of fans doing a sign language version of Jodie’s cover of Yellow (not sure the date they released the video) to benefit Mencap, a charity that helps people with intellectual disabilities and one that Jodie is an ambassador for. Both Jodie’s brother (whose son Harry had Downs Syndrome and died when he was 3) and Jodie recently thanked the fans for their efforts. The article contains the fan video and Mr. Whittaker’s Tweet that included Jodie’s video thanks. Jodie had dedicated Yellow to Harry

Separately, some fans got together and in honor of Jodie’s recent birthday, created a graphic novel to illustrate Pete McTighe’s Lockdown short story Press Play, that had the 13 Doctor receive a message from her granddaughter Susan. The fans posted the story on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessicatzen/status/1273276733370896385

Edited by DanaK
(edited)

David Tennent and Jodie Whittaker were guests on The James Corden Show via video to talk about Doctor Who

ETA:

Corden then had a segment where some fans participated in a cosplay competition where Jodie and David, in their original Who costumes, judged

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2020/06/watch-david-tennant-and-jodie-whittaker-don-doctor-who-costumes-to-judge-james-cordens-cosplay-contest

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, DanaK said:

HBO Max hosted a virtual panel with current and past Doctors Jodie Whittaker, David Tennant and Matt Smith to celebrate HBO Max streaming Doctor Who in the US

http://thefutoncritic.com/video/2020/06/24/video-doctors-jodie-whittaker-matt-smith-and-david-tennant-come-together-for-the-first-time-for-a-virtual-doctor-who-panel-27313/20200624warnermedia01/

Here it is:

Here's a snippet where they're asked which companion other than they're own would they like their Doctor to have:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1