Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

I like it. I think I prefer it when there is more than one companion so I hope that is the situation here. I'm not familiar with the two Hollyoaks actors but I love Bradley Walsh and I like the diversity so that's cool. I still prefer Jodie with the darker hair, but that's just knitpicking. haha I'm getting excited. More so for the upcoming Christmas special, since I'm starting to see the commercials for it. I can't wait to see Twelve and Bill one last time. 

I never expected them to go with a crowded Tardis but this is a very pleasant surprise.  I thought it'd be interesting for the new companion to be an older Ian type and it seems like they are going in that direction.  I still have my issues with the casting of the new Doctor (I think the Doctor is a man like Wonder Woman is a woman) but I like this development very much.

• Love 1

Be interesting to see how this plays out! I do enjoy a crowded TARDIS from time to time - I like the mixed dynamics it allows for. I continue to hold out hope for companions who don't come from the here and now, but am probably doomed to disappointment there.

I heard whispers about the Bradley Walsh thing a while back and thought it must be a joke, but apparently not. He's rather better known than I like my Doctor Who actors to be - makes it harder to suspend disbelief at times, especially with an actor primarily known for being a presenter and comedian. The cynic in me can't help but note that since the Doctor is now a young woman, of course one of the companions has to be an (older) white man, because heavens forfend they don't have one of those in the cast at all times...

• Love 2

The 13th Doctor's new look  I see that an unusual fashion sense continues to hold for the Doc.  I'm not a fan of suspenders in general though.

I wonder if this was stashed in the Tardis wardrobe or if the Doctor will once again steal some clothes.

After looking at some comments at the site I do agree that it's like someone mixed the 2nd Doctor and Mork.  I have no doubt the look will evolve over time, just like 11 and 12 did. 

Edited by cambridgeguy
3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I just want her to lower the waistline to her waist, and the bottoms over her ankles. The high waisted look never suits anyone, ever.

Yeah, that's the only thing throwing me off about it. Otherwise, I like the colors and the '70s, '80s vibe to it.

ETA: I just looked again and maybe the pants being that way will give them an opportunity to have her in different kinds of crazy socks which would be fun.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1
On 23/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, Llywela said:

I heard whispers about the Bradley Walsh thing a while back and thought it must be a joke, but apparently not. He's rather better known than I like my Doctor Who actors to be - makes it harder to suspend disbelief at times, especially with an actor primarily known for being a presenter and comedian. 

I hadn't heard of Bradley Walsh, but when I read other comments about him I had the same concerns you have.

Then again, Catherine Tate was primarily known as a comic performer when she was cast, and she's my favourite companion. The same could also be said of Matt Lucas and I loved Nardole, so I'll reserve judgement.

The outfit?  I think "Smile, nod and back away slowly" would be my best first instinct but I'll wait to see it on screen before passing true judgement.

Capaldi wasn't as old as Hartnell was when he played the Doctor, right? Weirdly enough, the First Doctor looked old, but none of the others really got there, even as they aged chronologically. Might be funny if Twelve showed pictures of Five and Eleven to see if he could give his old self hearts attack.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Capaldi wasn't as old as Hartnell was when he played the Doctor, right?

Same age, in fact - both aged 55 when they made their debut as the Doctor. The next oldest was Jon Pertwee, who was 50 and then Pat Troughton at 46.

The Doctor needs longer trousers. Other than that, I'm in. Haven't been this excited about the show in a while. Personally, I was holding out for Idris Elba, but that might have rocked people's worlds a little too much. The Doctor as a woman has really captured my imagination.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, eXiled said:

Personally, I was holding out for Idris Elba, but that might have rocked people's worlds a little too much.

Ooh, Idris Elba could rock my world any day! I agree about the trousers. I can't wait to see the new season. I love that feeling.

• Love 2

It looks like she's wearing Twelve's outfit, which no doubt blows up my "Twelve becomes amnesiac young girl, One adopts her and she is named 'Susan'" theory, which is so for the best.

Just checking: the next season is in in Fall 2018, right? That's what I heard.

A little underwhelming, I thought.*  But fall is just around the corner and I'm starting to look forward to new Who. It's been a long time. 

* I'm not the kind of person who sees sexism everywhere but truthfully, it bothered me on that front.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure why it looks like a fast food commercial but ok. 

I guess this is a teaser and perhaps they'll show a more elaborate one at Comic Con?

Edited by Aliferously
needed to explain it better.

After the casting-announcement video, the regeneration in the Christmas special, and now this, I'm pretty over short clips that seem to have a goal of showing us as little of the Thirteenth Doctor as possible (the casting-announcement video at least had the excuse of being made for the express purpose of keeping the reveal until the last second, but what are the others' excuse?)  How long before we actually get to see her in action for bit?

• Love 2

I don't know if any links remain online to the leaked clip but even though it was only few seconds, Jodie felt very much like the Doctor. Though maybe that's why the BBC was so annoyed by it - it messed with their seen but not heard campaign.  

1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I don't know if any links remain online to the leaked clip but even though it was only few seconds, Jodie felt very much like the Doctor. Though maybe that's why the BBC was so annoyed by it - it messed with their seen but not heard campaign.  

My best guess is that an official trailer will "drop" next week, after it would premiere at the Doctor Who panel at Comic-Con.

• Love 1

The crossover we never knew we needed:  Doctor Who/Pigs! In! SPACE!  (Context: The Muppets were performing live shows at The O2 Arena, similar to a show they did at the Hollywood Bowl last year.  As part of the London show, they did a Pigs In Space sketch, where the Doctor lands on the Swinetrek.  Well, Doctors, since the first night featured David Tennant reprising his Doctor, and the second night featured Peter Davison doing the same.)

Night 1: The Stolen Mirth

Night 2: Mirthshock

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me when this teaser/trailer aired?  I thought it was supposed to air during the World Cup, but I DVRd the World Cup and it's nowhere to be found.  Did they only reveal it in certain countries?

Thanks in advance for any info. 

It aired during BBC's (UK) half-time coverage of the World Cup final with an odd and clunky segue from the football commentators ("Knock Knock, Alan" "Who's there?" "Doctor Whooo") that I saw at least. Only BBC America has Who exclusives stuff in the US.

• Love 1
On 15/07/2018 at 5:42 PM, tessaray said:

A little underwhelming, I thought.*  But fall is just around the corner and I'm starting to look forward to new Who. It's been a long time. 

* I'm not the kind of person who sees sexism everywhere but truthfully, it bothered me on that front.

It does seems a bit weedy compared to Eccles' "Do you wanna come with me?" trailer, and Matt's 'falling through space' trailer. But it's only a trailer.

• Love 1
(edited)

Got the issue of Entertainment Weekly with Jodie on the cover . . . and there are no story teases. Basically overview and giddiness of the new era of the series, and it's actually nice. But I want to see Jodie's Doctor in action.

Also: would there be a Christmas episode this year? I read a schedule somewhere, and the finale for the eleventh season would air days before the 25th.

ETA: I was okay with the companions starring in the teaser. Also: fish fingers and custard. Probably not a good combo, but it's a nice in-joke.

Edited by Lantern7
9 hours ago, HauntedBathroom said:

But it's only a trailer.

Not even that.  It's a teaser trailer.  It's more like a trailer for a trailer.  As @Lantern7 has speculated, a full trailer will debut at SDCC at the panel first, then make it out to the rest of us afterwards.  (Soon after, if someone in Hall H can get it uploaded from the camera during the panel...)

Make no mistake, I liked the teaser, but it was only that. 

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also: fish fingers and custard.

Nope.  Toast "soldiers" and a soft boiled egg.  Part of a standard English, like the baked beans.

Reminder: Doctor Who panel runs at Comic-Con on Thursday at 11:45 a.m., San Diego time. For me, that would be 2:45 . . . translating to 7:45 London time. While I don't know if the BBC would reveal details away from the UK, Comic-Con has basically become that big enough to warrant it. For the sake of nostalgia, here's my account of the DW panel from 2009. I think that was the first time the trailer for "The End of Time" was shown. Looking back, not as detailed as my account of Capaldi's panel from last year's NYCC. In my defense, I may have been close to death by exhaustion.