Type keyword(s) to search

Big Brother Universe: Fashion, Casting, Comps, etc.

• Start Topic

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

This is bizarre. I'm pretty sure Survivor has a much better track record of powers making a difference, certainly if you count idols. I wonder why this keeps happening in BB? On paper, there's nothing wrong with the idea. Why does it keep fizzling? 

Because overall, Survivor tends to attract generally better strategic thinkers than BB.  Of course, having to maintain your strategy for 1/3 the time probably makes Survivor a LOT easier to ride out - but it sure doesn’t help BB that so many of its mactor-recruits’ strategic thinking capacity equates to something like “2 + 2 = chair”.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Sorry if this isn’t the place for such a post, but I couldn’t find one much better - and the subject matter does relate directly to casting....

—————————

Racial makeup has been of increasing focus in many of the forum discussions this season, so I started to wonder; what would a cast which honestly represented today’s real America look like?  - a question not entirely out of line for a reality show, IMHO.  So tonight I decided to put my insomnia to use and work it out.

I. The Results:

A House cast presenting a statistically accurate reflection of today’s America would be composed something like the following:

• 10 = # of white HGs
  • 3 = # of Hispanic/Latino HGs
  • 2 = # of black HGs
  • 1 = # of Asian HGs

• 1 LGBT-representative HG, most likely white

Gender composition would be evenly male/female identifying HGs.

II. The Math (non-stat geeks need not apply)

We begin with a presumption the number of HGs in a season will be 16 - the number used in 4 of the past 5 seasons.

This presumption immediately introduces two constraints:

1. Each individual HG position is representative of 6.25% (1/16) of the general population.
  2. Population segments not rising to at least half this threshold (i.e., less than 3.125%) will not be represented.

Population percentages were derived from the following sources:

Population percentages (and the equivalent number of HGs) presented as follows:

Race:

• White: 60% (10]
  • Hispanic/Latino: 18.5% (3]
  • Black: 13.4% (2)
  • Asian: 5.9% (1)

All other reported races fell below the 3.125% minimum threshold for representation.

Gender Identity:

• Female: 50.8%
  • Male: 49.2%
  • No data immediately available for non-binary representation.

Sexual Orientation:

• Not counted in the most currently available census data, but 4.5% of all respondents presented as members of the LGBT community in the cited Gallup poll.
  • Insofar as the cited percentage only allowed for 1 HG representative, statistical probability would tend - but not be dictated - toward representation within the single largest racial group identified (White).

—————————-

So that’s what a true “America’s House” would look like.

Any surprises?

Edited by Nashville
Gender identity expansion
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I started to wonder; what would a cast which honestly represented today’s real America look like?  - a question not entirely out of line for a reality show, IMHO.

Wow, fascinating and fact-filled post! All I saw was the word Fashion in the thread title and came here expecting a discussion of Dani's afghan top. (I'm in favour.)

Instead I find an erudite post on the statistical makeup of American society as applied to the BB house. It's nice to see the actual facts so we can compare them to our often skewed perception of what the statistics are. Thanks. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Wow, fascinating and fact-filled post! All I saw was the word Fashion in the thread title and came here expecting a discussion of Dani's afghan top. (I'm in favour.)

Instead I find an erudite post on the statistical makeup of American society as applied to the BB house. It's nice to see the actual facts so we can compare them to our often skewed perception of what the statistics are. Thanks. 

Thanks, and no problem. 🙂

And FYI - by no means am I suggesting all BB casts should be configured strictly in accordance with this model; I researched this purely to present as an information resource for folks who were (curious? concerned?) about what would actually be a quasi-accurate reality-reflecting representation of population subgroups within the House.

Edited by Nashville
Punctuation
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

9 hours ago, Nashville said:

14 minutes ago, Nashville said:

And FYI - by no means am I suggesting all BB casts should be configured strictly in accordance with this mode

Absolutely. But I often see posts in various places where people complain that group X isn't being appropriately represented, and sometimes they're absolutely right, but other times they're way off base in terms of what percentage of the general population is group X. 

I don't have any particular agenda, and I'm all for lots of diversity in the BB world, if only because it's so much more interesting to watch, but having more information and facts about this topic, or any topic really, will never be a bad thing. 

Sorry about all the empty quote boxes. 😳😳😳

To answer your final question, "Any surprises?" my answer is "Yes! Several!" but I feel uncomfortable revealing them in a public forum. But I'll bet that most people would find some surprises, if they were honest. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Nashville said:

Sorry if this isn’t the place for such a post, but I couldn’t find one much better - and the subject matter does relate directly to casting....

—————————

Racial makeup has been of increasing focus in many of the forum discussions this season, so I started to wonder; what would a cast which honestly represented today’s real America look like?  - a question not entirely out of line for a reality show, IMHO.  So tonight I decided to put my insomnia to use and work it out.

I. The Results:

A House cast presenting a statistically accurate reflection of today’s America would be composed something like the following:

• 10 = # of white HGs
  • 2 = # of black HGs
  • 1 = # of Asian HGs

We begin with a presumption the number of HGs in a season will be 16 - the number used in 4 of the past 5 seasons.

1. Each individual HG position is representative of 6.25% (1/16) of the general population.
  2. Population segments not rising to at least half this threshold (i.e., less than 3.125%) will not be represented.

Race:

All other reported races fell below the 3.125% minimum threshold for representation.

Gender Identity:

Sexual Orientation:

• Not counted in the most currently available census data, but 4.5% of all respondents presented as members of the LGBT community in the cited Gallup poll.
  • Insofar as the cited percentage only allowed for 1 HG representative, statistical probability would tend - but not be dictated - toward representation within the single largest racial group identified (White).

—————————-

Any surprises?

I think BB20 fit this.

White - Tyler, Angela, Sam, Brett, Haleigh, Scottie, Rockstar, Rachel, Kaitlyn, Winston

Hispanic/Latino - JC

Black - Swaggy, Bayleigh

Asian - Kaycee, Fessy

LGBT - JC, KayceE

Not sure about summer of Steve

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Nashville said:

—————————

I. The Results:

• 10 = # of white HGs
  • 2 = # of black HGs
  • 1 = # of Asian HGs

Race:

Gender Identity:

Sexual Orientation:

—————————-

Any surprises?

What I have for BB22:

White - Keesha, Nicole A, Janelle, Ian, Nicole, Dani, Xmas, Memphis, Cody, Tyler, Enzo

Hispanic/Latino - none?

Black - Bayleigh, Da'Vonne, David

Asian - Kaysar

LGBT/Black/Asian - Kevin

• Love 1

One known shortcoming of the previous census was its lack of granularity in terms of racial heritage.  Of relevance to this particular issue is that persons of Middle Eastern heritage were required to self-identify as “white” in the census - so in this context neither Fessy’s nor Kaysar’s participation would be considered as representative of the census’s documentation of Asians.

One thing this does tend to show is BB casts have a long-standing history of being light in their representation for both Hispanic and Asian populations in the U. S.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Nashville said:

One thing this does tend to show is BB casts have a long-standing history of being light in their representation for both Hispanic and Asian populations in the U. S.

Yet there have actually been Asian/Hispanic winners (a whopping 3) but no black winners. Only one black person has ever made the F2.

• Useful 1

I just saw that there is speculation that BB may do an all winners season.

I have a much better idea and CBS has my permission to run with it, no charge.

BB26 houseguests should all be of past contestants from RuPaul's Drag Race!  Talk about great feeds.