Type keyword(s) to search

Big Brother Universe: Fashion, Casting, Comps, etc.

• Start Topic

I'd like to nominate Frankie's jorts from last night's episode for the worst outfit of the season.  Why would someone make a two-tone denim garment with the darker blue section surrounding the crotch like a pee stain?

Well... the world is a sick place. If someone's fantasies involve incontinence, this could be a selling point.

To me, the best part of the opening credits is how Victoria just stands there. Everyone else moves in some way. The beat of the theme music even pauses for a few seconds as she looks expressionlessly at the camera. Whoever put together this credit sequence sure knew how this season would play out.

Just saw this posted elsewhere:

Sunday's episode will see the jurors return to the house. On Tuesday, we'll get a live eviction. Then on Wednesday, it's the Final 4 eviction. Next Friday is a special clip show and the finale is on the 24th.

If they do nothing else they MUST speed up the end game.  There is no reason to allow this to continue past Sunday.  What was their reason?  I missed it.  Julie said she would tell us and didn't.  

Edited by wings707

I would like CBS to put a clause in the family contracts that they sign be able to appear on the show that they cannot do podcasts, sell merchandise or hang out with Big Brother players unless they are returning players or know each other before their family member appeared on Big Brother. I am perfectly fine with family members tweeting about the season. This season has been out of control with family members trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. With Zach's mom doing all these podcasts, Derrick's family selling "Team Derrick" an "Hitmen" t-shirts. Cody's brother flying to LA to hang out with Rachel Reily. It has annoyed me because these family members are trying to take advantage of their family members appearance on the show. Yet they go around saying please don't attack me I did not sign up for the show. Well if you did not sign up for the show don't take advantage of it.

• Love 2

I would respectfully disagree. Just because a family member signs up for a reality show, there's no reason their relatives' rights should be impinged - unless CBS is willing to sign a contract with them as well, and compensate them for any show-related curtailment of their activities.

In conjunction with that, however - if a family member chooses to exercise their freedom to associate with the show, then by the same token they also choose to acknowledge and accept responsibility for dealing with the consequences of that association. As regards this...

It has annoyed me because these family members are trying to take advantage of their family members appearance on the show. Yet they go around saying please don't attack me I did not sign up for the show.

... I would simply respond, "Hey - if you're going to ride the coat tails, expect to get dragged through the same mud." :)

• Love 1

I would respectfully disagree. Just because a family member signs up for a reality show, there's no reason their relatives' rights should be impinged - unless CBS is willing to sign a contract with them as well, and compensate them for any show-related curtailment of their activities.

In conjunction with that, however - if a family member chooses to exercise their freedom to associate with the show, then by the same token they also choose to acknowledge and accept responsibility for dealing with the consequences of that association. As regards this...

I didn't explain myself clearly Shelly's family getting death threats because she voted for Jeff I found absolutely disgusting and should not happen same thing if a family member is getting threats because their family member said something racist on the feeds.

Edited by choclatechip45

I didn't explain myself clearly Shelly's family getting death threats because she voted for Jeff I found absolutely disgusting and should not happen same thing if a family member is getting threats because their family member said something racist on the feeds.

That's a different face of the coin, and one with which I agree entirely. If (a) the family hasn't been putting themselves out there for public commentary and (b) some half-melted Nutty Buddy starts making threats via email/Twitter/etc., someone's next call needs to be to the FBI. Internet = interstate, which makes that a federal offense - 18 U.S.C. § 875(c ) - good for up to five years at Club Fed. Edited by Nashville

I think they should do a "vintage" big brother without telling the contestants what they are walking into. Make it like season 3, with all the same rules. DONT have them watch it either. If they did on their own already, whatever. But don't show it to them in preshow. So no fancy tv in hoh, no laundry, no have nots but yes food comps, etc. I think it would be interesting to see what they do especially since they are all expecting luxury.

• Love 4

I think they should do a "vintage" big brother without telling the contestants what they are walking into. Make it like season 3, with all the same rules. DONT have them watch it either. If they did on their own already, whatever. But don't show it to them in preshow. So no fancy tv in hoh, no laundry, no have nots but yes food comps, etc. I think it would be interesting to see what they do especially since they are all expecting luxury.

You may be onto something here! 

• Love 1

I'm pretty new to BB, only watched a couple weeks of episode last summer at my sister's houses, when she hooked me and my kids (damnit).  So my questions:

1.  Do they cook their own meals?  How do they decide who does that and what food they get to use?

2.  Do they clean the house or is the place a pigsty by the end of the season?

3.  The "house" and environs are completely inside/enclosed, correct?  So the pool is indoors?  Do they ever get to see the sky?

4.   I saw the above question and answer about books.  I presume the same goes for music/ipod's?  DVDs too?  No way could I stand 3 months w/o a book or music.  Who am I kidding, I'd never go on this, nor would I ever be picked, since I'm not under 35 (which appears to be the age requirement).

Just by what the HG wore in their interview with Jeff, feel like some of them are trying way too hard.

The gals with the hoochie dresses. Liz better hope she has a good supply of double sided tape if she has more outfits like that dress. Audrey and Meg at least had some personality with their outfits.

The guys (and gal)with the headgear. Austin reminds me of Big Kenny from Big & Rich. Not sure if James is going for a cross between Donny and Caleb with the cammo visor. Jace is trying to be too cool for school.

The rest of the guys were meh.

(edited)

To answer Henahope^

They cook their own meals, I remember discussion last year of the HG putting together their food lists. Frankie must have put fish down for all his choices cause they ate fish every damn day.

There are usually one or two that are the cleaners of the group. Inevitably ants always appear cause the lazy asses in the house don't put stuff away correctly.

Pool is enclosed so they can see the sky (had problems in past seasons with people yelling stuff over the wall to the HG or flying a banner overhead so the HG had to go inside.

No music unless you win HOH, then you get to ask for 1 cd to listen to during your reign. Only religious material can be read. Bible, I think Andrew in his season had the Old Testament or Jewish prayerbook.

ETA just realized this isn't the right thread for this, was just trying to respond to above poster. My apologies.

Edited by njbarmaid

Julie wore a jumpsuit for the premiere. I wonder if this is going to be an all-jumpsuit season like that time on America's Next Top Model. I wonder if I have too much time on my hands. Hmmm . . .

• Love 1

Julie wore a jumpsuit for the premiere. I wonder if this is going to be an all-jumpsuit season like that time on America's Next Top Model. I wonder if I have too much time on my hands. Hmmm . . .

No jumpsuit tonight!

• Love 1

Another BB newbie question!!

Do they do their own laundry or send it out?  Same with the towels, do they wash them or put them in a bag to be washed by someone else?

Does the jury get sequestered for the remaining time or do they get to go out at all?  Does the jury get to see more than just the main show, like After Dark or the Live Feeds?

Thanks!!

(edited)

I always thought that they did their own laundry, but then I wondered why the beds sometimes sat without sheets for hours. I asked a contestant who told me that they wash their own clothes except for the bedding. That was BB Canada, though. I remember someone once posted something about the HOH getting laundry service.

Edited by dolphincorn

I always thought that they did their own laundry, but then I wondered why the beds sometimes sat without sheets for hours. I asked a contestant who told me that they wash their own clothes except for the bedding. That was BB Canada, though. I remember someone once posted something about the HOH getting laundry service.

That's what I remember.  Laundry service is one of the HoH perks; everyone else gets does their own laundry using the washer/dryer by the pool table.

Lots of extensions/weave this season... What makes them think it looks good... I admit it, it will look good for a week or two, but then it will go downhill FAST... It will start to look ratty and nasty, never mind it growing out

• Love 1

OK, my apologies if this is a spoiler, but I don't think it is--the "Twin Twist" for BB17 is well publicized, right?

Anyways...what does the twin who is not in the house do with his/her downtime?  Sit in a box until "activated?"  I would hope they at least get to watch the same sorts of feeds the HOH room gets--selected video, no audio--so at the very least they know what to wear for the day if an exchange comes up.  I think it would be kind of boring, at least when they're in the house, they have interactions and some entertainment.

(edited)

Slop is just plain cooked hot cereal.  Could be oatmeal or mixed grain.  There are certain things they can add to it, milk is probably on that list and I would guess sugar another.   One season they made slop patties and If I recall some condiment was allowed.  

Edited by wings707
(edited)

Slop is just plain cooked hot cereal. Could be oatmeal or mixed grain.

Specifically steel-cut oats, IIRC. Not so much that it tastes bad - but a very strange texture, and bland beyond belief.

There are certain things they can add to it, milk is probably on that list and I would guess sugar another. One season they made slop patties and If I recall some condiment was allowed.

I believe several sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc.) are on the acceptable list as well.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1

Specifically steel-cut oats, IIRC. Not so much that it tastes bad - but a very strange texture, and bland beyond belief.

I believe several sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc.) are on the acceptable list as well.

Thanks, I love steel cut oats.  I have them occasionally with brown sugar, butter and milk.  No butter or milk would be tricky for me though. 

• Love 1
(edited)

They can have any type of milk (regular, almond, soy, etc), sugar/artificial sweetener (not sure about brown sugar), some condiments, tea/coffee. I'm not sure of the specific condiments but I believe ketchup and barbecue sauce are on this list. Oh and salsa. I wanna say they can have pickles but I'm not 100% on that.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

I think all condiments are considered fair game to help with the slop consumption for the have-nots. I seem to recall a bit of a kerfluffle a couple years ago over whether or not pickles were a condiment. Some said that relish was clearly a condiment, and it was just chopped up pickles, so pickles qualified as a condiment. Others maintained pickles were an "add-on" accompaniment to a hamburger like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, etc. so therefore was not a condiment. I believe there had to be an official BB ruling on the matter.

I feel like I remember Amber eating pickles when she was a HN last season. This season though I haven't seen any of them eating pickles. Or eating salsa with a spoon like they've done in the past.

I wonder if they're just not doing extra HN food this season or what? That'll suck for the HNs if they aren't.

According to Starcasm.net:

Slop is officially defined by CBS as a ” just-add-water, nutritionally fortified porridge mix.”
Here’s the ingredient breakdown:
“Natural oats, proprietary blend of whey protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, wheat protein isolate, milk protein isolate, natural and artificial flavors, vitamins and minerals (vitamin A palmitate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, vitamin D3, alpha tocopherol, niacin, biotin, pantothenic acid, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, copper gluconate, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, folic acid, potassium iodide), cellulose gum, salt and acesulfame potassium.”

Yummy! The producer, Allison Grodner, who came up with this slop idea says she ate it for a meal one time describes it as “It’s really bland, but because it’s got protein it’s got a bit of an aluminum taste.”

To cover up that aluminum taste they can add some approved condiments:
“balsamic vinegar, olive oil, red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, hot sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, relish, salsa, soy sauce, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, black pepper, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, salt, vanilla, basil, bay leaves, cinnamon, leaf oregano, paprika, parsley, rosemary, brown sugar, artificial sweetener, powdered creamer, white sugar, tea and protein powder.”

So it looks like the "outside/backyard" are is just lit up by very bright lights and I presume they are limited on when they can use it depending on whether its being set up (or taken down) for a competition.  

It also looks like their sense of time gets completely out of whack, if they're going in the brightly lit "backyard" at 10:30 at night (per BBAD timing - which when it says "live", I am assuming it really is "live"), or eating dinner that late, stuff I saw on BBAD.  I saw someone post on the live feed thread at 9:30 p.m. est that everyone was asleep, which would be 6:30 p.m. pst.

(edited)

I'm not sure about bb in America but I watched bb australia last year, they switched out laundry duty by the week, Hoh got to make the house grocery list and had a budget based on a competition, all of this was incorporated into the show, you just don't see that on American big brother.

You can Google big brother house and see sky shots, it looks like a huge plaster fence around the house so they do go outside the just can't see over the wall

Edited by MrsMommy
(edited)

I'm not sure about bb in America but I watched bb australia last year, they switched out laundry duty by the week, Hoh got to make the house grocery list and had a budget based on a competition, all of this was incorporated into the show, you just don't see that on American big brother.

It's not like that here. In the early seasons they did have everyone get together to make grocery lists. I miss that tbh. Now Production just buys them the same food every week. As for laundry, everyone just does their own. If you're HOH though you can have your laundry sent out and Production has it cleaned.

So it looks like the "outside/backyard" are is just lit up by very bright lights and I presume they are limited on when they can use it depending on whether its being set up (or taken down) for a competition. 

The outside is actually really outside so they can see the sky, but yea I assumed there's also lights for comps and stuff.

And yea, their sleep schedules are always fucked up. They basically stay up all night and sleep half of the day.

Edited by peachmangosteen

And yea, their sleep schedules are always fucked up. They basically stay up all night and sleep half of the day.

They turned vampire early this year...when the feeds started, they were already up til around 5am, last season it took at least a week or two longer. Sucks for east coasters who can only watch during the day/evening. Some HGs are worse than others. It got to a point where Zach would regularly sleep til 8 pm est. 

Any of the nasty stuff from the title being hidden by the broadcast but present on the feeds?

Seems like people going after Audrey has not been motivated by anything other than her being a shit player and blowing her wad early (and being caught manipulating/lying to too many people).  And people going after Da'vonne hasn't been racially motivated but rather because she's kind of a loudmouth, in your face, aggressive bully.

But that's just from the broadcast.  Has there been anything we haven't seen?

It doesn't help that Clay (before going in the house) retweeted a "Black People Pool Party" meme that was in questionable taste (showing lots of African-Americans around an empty pool) and added "I guess this is why they don't sell swimsuits at Foot Locker" or some such.  Especially since Clay is Texan and did this after the

in McKinney.

Then again, Caleb had that "muslim monkey" comment on his Instagram (re:Obama) that was cause for worry last season, and whatever his flaws, I didn't find him racist.  So you never know.

• Love 2

Seems like people going after Audrey has not been motivated by anything other than her being a shit player and blowing her wad early (and being caught manipulating/lying to too many people).  

I agree. If anything, Audrey has been given a pass by many, even though she is supposedly the target of the house. People want to connect with her and hear her story. Jason and Meg have said they wanted to talk to her on a personal level and often times she goes straight to game. Austin has said he wanted an alliance with her just to avoid being on an opposite side of her and be labeled as transphobic. I feel that Shelli did not backdoor Audrey this week not only because she still wants to work with her, but also doesn't want to be seen as targeting the transgender woman. She may have even said so explicitly. The HGs are very aware of perceptions outside the house and do not want to be seen as bad people.

Clay and Day never trusted each other from the beginning. Day/Shelli/Audrey had their "alliance" on the first night but trust has eroded on all sides since then. Audrey- with her lies to everyone, Day- not picking Shelli for the fast forward has not been forgotten, plus Shelli is being drawn away with her stronger bond with Clay and is going after his targets, one of which happens to be Day, due in part to the sneaking in the room situation and how that was dealt with. When it was Day vs. Audrey, Shelli still wanted to take Audrey's side even though it was clear she had lied. Day has strong support among Jason, James and Meg, as well as Steve (but she pushed him away) but they were not in power this week to protect her. I feel there were a lot of game dynamics/loyalties that put Day in this position on the block that don't seem to me due to her race.

I feel there were a lot of game dynamics/loyalties that put Day in this position on the block that don't seem to me due to her race.

I agree I like Dayvonne a lot more than Clay/Shelli, but I think it's a smart move for them to get rid of her this week. I don't think it's motivated by race. Dayvonne played really hard at the beginning. Didn't she say she needed to keep a low profile in her pre-game interviews? Well, she has done the opposite of that. The whole counting thing was so stupid at least do what Andy did and put some of your stuff in every room.

• Love 2

IMO I don't feel like the issues are abiut race or sexual preference, it's a game and I believe it's being played as a game, I'm glad they had the nerve to put da up for eviction, the way the world is right now I'm not surprised ppl are being lab led racist. Eventually they will be evicted anyway. I'm so tired of seeing people called racist just because of what they do in a game. That's my opinion on the matter

I love to SJW with the best of them amd I can find racism everywhere but even I don't think Da going up has anything to do with her race. Da is gunning for Clay and even if Shelli is only after the D, Clay is who she's aligned with so it makes sense she get rid of someone that wants to get rid of a vote and player for her. Right now no one seems to be gunning for Shelli so why make another enemy when she has someone she can put up.

(edited)

I've been kicking around an idea, that's still vague.  But, you could have some mechanism to elect 2 "team captains" every week, like a competition.  The captains would then pick teams, the way you pick teams in sports in middle school.  Then there might be an HOH competition, and whoever wins HOH has to nominate from the other team.

That would introduce an element of middle-school drama, which might be fun for the viewers.  Not so much fun for the person picked last.  

I've been thinking about this some more, and I think I've nailed it down.

1.  We have an HOH competition with 2 winners = same as the current setup.

2.  The two HOH's pick teams, like in middle school.  We get a potential for drama and seeing alliances.

3.  Then there's a Team Competition ( replaces Battle of the Block) and whichever team wins is safe for the week.

4.  The HOH from the winning team has to nominate two players from the other team (and we get the wheel o' keys back).

5.  Then we have the POV.  If a nominee takes themselves off the block, the HOH has to nominate a replacement from the losing team.

6.  Then we get the vote.

As the season progresses, we start to get the switch ups.

7.   After we reach a certain amount of players, the winning HOH can nominate the replacement for the POV from their own team if they want to.

8.   After we reach a next level of players left, the winning HOH can nominate anyone, from their team or the other team for anything.

9.  After we reach a next level of players left, everything reverts back to normal BB.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 4

That is interesting. I wonder the strategy for picking teams... you could pick enemies and then try to throw it.  You could pick your allies and try to win. I like the team idea.  They do teams on Survivor, and it works.  Also, having this many people play one by one (like the beer pong) is not good TV at all.