Type keyword(s) to search

Creepshow - General Discussion

tennisgurl
  • Start Topic

I'm glad this is getting a second season, but the quality of the show is really uneven. The last 2 episodes were especially disappointing, with Times is Tough in Musky Holler being the worst segment of the season. The Finger and The House of the Head are my favorites and most of the other segments either had actors I like (Gray Matter, Lydia Layne's Better Half) or satisfying endings (Bad Wolf Down, The Man in the Suitcase).

I hope the reportedly high viewing numbers means they get a bigger budget to work with next time.

I liked the doll episode and the Halloween ones best, and I love how much they worked to recapture the Creepshow comics and the original show/movies. A bit uneven quality wise, but thats normally what you get with both deliberately campy things and anthology shows, but I enjoyed it all. Very fun for a Halloween watch!

• Love 1

I think this is the right thread for the AMC series that premiered tonight!  The first story was pretty cheesy, but the second was something else.  I had to put a pillow over my eyes.  Seeing the head outside the dollhouse was creepy as hell.

• Love 1

I think I liked it, the first story Grey Matter had an awesome group of guest actors, I could have watched them do nearly anything.  But the story was the weaker of the two, maybe because I vaguely remembered the King story it was based on so I knew most of what was coming.  I liked the second story better; I'm a little amazed how much I was rooting for a bunch of dolls.  Will definitely watch again but I'm hoping that not all of the stories are so open ended as these two, they don't all need a happy ending but I would like to see some with an actual ending.  It was a good start though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I think I liked it, the first story Grey Matter had an awesome group of guest actors, I could have watched them do nearly anything.  But the story was the weaker of the two, maybe because I vaguely remembered the King story it was based on so I knew most of what was coming. 

Was this the same story from the movie? One of the reasons I was bored by the first story was that it seemed like a re-telling of it.

I liked the first story, myself, but I haven't read the story that inspired it, so maybe that explains it. The ending with the monster reveal was a bit hokey...I would've preferred them just keeping it all in shadow and just showing us all the stickiness and general grossness (seriously, there were moments that made me gag a little), because I found that way more unsettling. But I did like the building dread and horror as the boy told his story and we saw the dad deteriorate, and the reveal with the twins was genuinely horrifying. 

The second story, though, yeah, that was definitely my favorite of the two. I especially liked how it didn't go where I thought it would-I was totally thinking all the stuff going on in the house was going to start manifesting and playing out among the family themselves, or that we'd see at the end that the dollhouse was brought by a family that looked eerily similar to the dolls or something. But no, they went a whole different route and I appreciate that. There were a few moments that had me actually gasping and going, "Oh, no...". I also liked how they handled the movement of the dolls, and how things became more and more ominous each time she looked in on them. 

(Creepiness aside, that was a really cool-looking dollhouse. I would've loved playing with something like that as a kid.)

On 5/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, LittleIggy said:

That little girl was a badass. I would have screamed the moment I saw the Head!

Right? If I'd seen that I would've been like, "All right, time to sleep somewhere else now, bye!" I really liked seeing her trying to figure out ways to help the dolls. 

I'm glad AMC is airing this series, as I'm not a Shudder subscriber (may have to do a free trial now, though, 'cause I'm kinda curious to see what all that site has to offer). I love horror anthology series, so I'm in-looking forward to more of this!

The second story was better than the first story again. I didn't really understand why the werewolf infected the soldiers if she felt it was a curse.

The finger, ugh. Both episodes had some gore I had to look away from. The narrator was quite full of himself. He was turning his nose up at a job, when the bill collectors kept calling! I laughed at his encounters with the police, though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peridot said:

Both episodes had some gore I had to look away from.

Yeah, I was definitely cringing at some aspects as well, especially in the second story, which I agree was the stronger of the two. I liked how DJ Qualls captured his character's general state of mind throughout. 

The Man in the Suitcase was really good. I like the idea of the genie going around testing people’s decency. I didn’t understand the card on the flowers in the guy’s hospital room. Was it from the genie?

• Love 1

It seemed like the guy that played the hobo was still in rehearsal mode. His first few lines were off. The story was sad, though. 

The roommates from the second segment were psychotic. Even though the stoner belatedly tried to step in, he was still ok with torture. I had to look away when I saw them doing something in his mouth. I'm too squeamish!

• Love 2

Okay, the end of "All Hallows' Eve" actually got me all choked up. What a sad story.

As for the second story...that is why you never abuse magical powers, people. It's a tale as old as time. I laughed at the genie's response when the guy was talking about he and the girl could go to Constantinople together. "That's not a place anymore...". 

The first story confused me a bit.  How did the scarecrow go from trying to kill the boy, to following his orders?  When I saw the boy sewing, I thought he was making his own scarecrow companion.

The second one made me jump!  When I saw the actress breathing in the chair, I thought it meant the body would get up and walk around.  Seeing her randomly appear in different slumped poses was creepier, though.  Her outfit didn't seem appropriate to me.  It looked like she was on her way to a picnic or something.

• Love 1
On 5/26/2020 at 2:05 PM, peridot said:

The first story confused me a bit.  How did the scarecrow go from trying to kill the boy, to following his orders?  When I saw the boy sewing, I thought he was making his own scarecrow companion.

The second one made me jump!  When I saw the actress breathing in the chair, I thought it meant the body would get up and walk around.  Seeing her randomly appear in different slumped poses was creepier, though.  Her outfit didn't seem appropriate to me.  It looked like she was on her way to a picnic or something.

It appeared that holding the old man’s cane (the one he speared into the scarecrow’s heart) controlled the scarecrow. When it was about to kill the boy, he was able to grab the cane. When he did, the scarecrow cowered before him.  

• Love 1

Well, the second story in last night's episode was quite....interesting, to say the least :p.

And the first one...man, that was, like, every nightmare scenario come to life for me, being alone in a funeral home/cemetery/morgue. Some good jump scares in this one, too. 

(Also, hey, the woman in the first story shared my name. Yay :p?)

• Love 1

First Story: See, this is why you never mess with Monkeys Paws! It always ends badly! Interesting what parts of the original story were kept or alluded to (in the story, it was an older couple who wanted to pass off their mortgage so their adult son died in a freak workplace accident and they got comped by his factory, here it was a woman trying to get money to save their business, and she died and her husband got the insurance money) and which parts were changed, like everything with the women the husband asked to kill him. 

Second Story: Well that was a weird one, possibly the most over the top of all of the stories yet! I spent most of the episode confused, and I am still kind of confused, but I was certainly never bored! It was just irony day all of the place. 

• Love 1

I liked both of the episodes in the finale. I just love people exploding open in the grossest way. 😆 And who didn’t love Chester being eaten by Champ? You just know it would have been a matter of time before he raped Rose.

• Love 3

That first episode...well, that escalated quickly! Little too heavy on the gore for me, to the point where I was actually gagging a little :p. But I did like the premise, and tying it to the eclipse was an interesting twist. 

And yes, that creep of a stepdad being taken out by the monster in the second story had me cheering 😄. I'm glad that the family got some peace regarding the dad's claims about the monster, too. 

• Love 2

Was that Adrienne Barbeau as the radio announcer at the beginning of "By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain?" It sounded like her - and it was a nice nod to her role in the original "The Fog" if it was her.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, LaylaGirl said:

Was that Adrienne Barbeau as the radio announcer at the beginning of "By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain?" It sounded like her - and it was a nice nod to her role in the original "The Fog" if it was her.

I think so!

• Love 1

As soon as that asshole step dad showed up, I was hoping and praying for Champ to eat him for lunch, and I got my wish! Not only did the family at least get some peace in the vindication of the dad, but the horrible step dad is gone! I love lake/sea monsters so that was a fun one for me. 

The second one might be the goriest episode yet! Nasty! Well you know what they say, if it seems too good to be true... 

• Love 1

Shudder announces the start of production on a 6 episode Season Two of "Creepshow".

Anna Camp (Pitch Perfect) and Adam Pally (The Mindy Project) will star in "Shapeshifters Anonymous" Parts 1 and 2, written by Greg Nicotero, based on a short story by J.A. Konrath (Last Call) about an unlucky soul who finds himself in need of a werewolf support group.

Keith David (The Thing), Ashley Laurence (Hellraiser) and Josh McDermitt (The Walking Dead) will star in "Pesticide," written by Frank Dietz (I Hate Kids), in which an exterminator makes an infernal bargain,

"Model Kid," written by returning Creepshow writer John Esposito (season one's "Night of the Paw"), is about a 12-year-old monster fan who turns to hand-built model kits to escape his unhappy reality. 

These 4 episodes will all be directed by Greg Nicotero.

• Love 1

A Creepshow Animated Special Premieres Thursday, October 29. The special features two stories directed by Creepshow showrunner Greg Nicotero, with animation by Octopie animation studio.

shudder20201023.jpg.4c5be545782335bce1a70b5754685ccd.jpg

"Survivor Type," based on the short story by Stephen King and adapted by Nicotero, stars Kiefer Sutherland (24, Designated Survivor) as a man determined to stay alive alone on a deserted island no matter what the cost.

"Twittering from the Circus of the Dead," based on the short story by Joe Hill and adapted by Melanie Dale, stars Joey King (The Kissing Booth, The Act) as a teen whose family road trip includes a visit to the gravest show on earth.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

A Creepshow Holiday Special   PREMIERING DECEMBER 18

Starring Anna Camp (Pitch Perfect) and Adam Pally (The Mindy Project), the special is written and directed by Creepshow showrunner Greg Nicotero, based on a short story by J.A. Konrath (Last Call). In the holiday themed, hour-long episode, "Shapeshifters Anonymous," fearing he is a murderer, an anxious man searches for answers for his "unique condition" from an unusual support group.

• Love 1

Season 1 of Creepshow is now available to subscribers of Amazon Prime.

Season 2's first episode will premiere on April 1 on the horror streaming service Shudder with two new stories. "Model Kid" looks to be a scary take on Toy Story, in which an unpopular kid — who relies on the company of his toys — learns just how "supportive" they can be. Meanwhile, "Public Television of the Dead" follows some daytime TV hosts who summon some dark forces with a mysterious book. "Model Kid" is written by John Esposito and directed by Greg Nicotero, while "Public Television of the Dead" is written by Rob Schrab and directed by Greg Nicotero.

Episode 2 — which will premiere on April 8 — will feature a story titled "Dead & Breakfast," where a true-crime vlogger stays at a haunted bed and breakfast. "Pesticide" will follow an exterminator who is tasked with what is described as a "big job." "Dead & Breakfast" is written by Michael Rousselet & Erik Sandoval and directed by Axelle Carolyn. "Pesticide" is written by Frank Dietz and directed by Greg Nicotero.

• Useful 1

I've watched the first 3 episodes of season 2 and while my favorite segment is still season 1's The House of the Head, I've mostly liked them so far. Episode 1's PBS meets the Evil Dead is the best of the bunch, helped by a cameo from Ted Raimi, a Deadite teddy bear, and its fun take on Bob Ross and other PBS types. It was also fun to see Keith David and Hellraiser's Ashley Laurence pop up in episode 2 even though it was in a lesser entry.

Edited by krankydoodle

Creepshow showrunner Greg Nicotero spoke with Comicbook.com's Brandon Davis in an exclusive interview and gave details about Season 3, which is 12 stories contained in six episodes.

In the episode called "Queen Bee" that's in the pilot, that's in the first episode. It was written by Erik Sandoval and Michael Rousselet. And it's sort of a Beyoncé type story. 'What if all the people that admired this singer, they were being controlled by her because she was an alien?' It's kind of that sort of fun scenario...In the 'Skeletons' episode that we were talking about James Remar stars in that, and it's a movie lovers bonanza."

That interview can be found here "Greg Nicotero Teases Creepshow Season 3 Plans (Exclusive)".

The season three panel for Creepshow will kick off Saturday, July 24 at 6:00pm PT via Comic-Con @ Home. Greg Nicotero will be joined by director Rusty Cundieff, writer Mattie Do, and cast members Michael Rooker and James Remar.

• Useful 1

Creepshow News from Comic-Con @ Home.

Season 3 of Creepshow will premiere on Thursday, September 23 on Shudder. Appearing will be Michael Rooker (Slither, The Walking Dead), James Remar (Dexter), Johnathon Schaech (Prom Night), Reid Scott (Venom) and Hannah Fierman (V/H/S).  There will be an adaptation of the Joe Hill story "Mums".

Season 2 of Creepshow will be available for viewing by people who have access to AMC starting Monday, September 6.

• Useful 1

And we're back! And what a way to kick things off, too. 

"Model Kid" - Yeah, not gonna lie, that jerk of an "uncle" deserved what he got. I liked the kid's bond with his mom, it was sweet and touching. That scene where he supposedly dreamed her crawling out of her grave was creepy as hell, though. 

"Television of the Dead" - Well. That was....insane :p. I loved the Bob Ross-esque guy and Claudia, they were fun. And some of those moments when the dead just kept randomly showing up/coming up really close to the camera were genuinely unnerving and freaky. Little more gory than I tend to go for or prefer with my horror, but it was certainly a wild ride, this one. 

Good to have the show back. Looking forward to what's to come this season :). 

• Useful 1

[The opening with the comic-book stylings and storyboard for each story, reminded me of Are You Afraid of the Dark and the campfire "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story..."

Model Kid: Okay, I am hereby changing my initial Uncle Kevin-is-kind-of-a-jerk to Uncle-Kevin-IS-an-asshole. Abusive to his wife and son and soon he'll start in on Joe. I LOLed at Joe's look to his mom when she tried to say that Kevin wasn't so bad. (Ugh, I didn't want to be right that mom died when she keeled over on movie night :/) Joe's nightmare about the projector-screen coming on and showing his mom's gravestone/mom coming out of her grave was creepy, but at the same time there was something sweet about her giving him the tools (the Creepster magazine) to send away for the toy to protect himself - was that The Victim kit the kid version of a voodoo doll? Joe was hardcore bisecting Uncle Kevin like that but I can't say that I blame him. I got the vibe that Joe was willing to put up with the abuse for himself (not that he liked it, of course) until he saw the bruise on his aunt's wrist/upper arm :( So, yeah, can't say that I'm too torn up about the murder. But what was up with the horror-movie scream at the end from the aunt? Surely she doesn't believe that Joe did all of that by himself! 

Public Television of the Dead: ...yeah. Here I was, going along and typing this review up as I watched, and the demon monster was summoned from the book, flew in the air, and stabbed the host in the forehead with a key. No more typing as I went for me! But Painter Guy was AWESOME drinking the paint and then bringing the lighter to his mouth to breathe fire. I might have clapped. Lol. (Also, it made me giggle that George the cameraman immediately moved the camera to kep filming when the monster showed up. Heh.) The puppet lady show reminded me of a cross of Lamb Chop and Reading Rainbow, and Ms. Bookberry is probably every host of a children's show that has a foul attitude and a potty mouth in real-life. :/ (Daddy issues, too!) The Appraiser's Road Trip as a concept for a show cracked me up; it sounds like Pawn Stars. I screamed at Painter Guy and George not to run off alone; I was so worried that something was going to happen to George when he was by himself in the sound-booth. George was so nonchalant at the end about the host of their children's programming being beheaded on live television, that cracked me up. Oh, and Claudia the showrunner had a thing for the host of the painting show, I'm pretty sure, and I hope he did buy her that soda considering they survived :p.

....but, uh, the ending was quite unsettling, wasn't it, with those kids being traumatized/overtaken/possessed by everything that they saw on the live show. :/

So, um, yeah, this Creepshow is...a show :p. Can't wait for next week!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

[The opening with the comic-book stylings and storyboard for each story, reminded me of Are You Afraid of the Dark and the campfire "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story..."

I can see that a bit, yeah! I also get a real "Tales from the Crypt" vibe, but that mainly has to do with the skeleton :p. 

(Ugh, I didn't want to be right that mom died when she keeled over on movie night :/)

I was bracing for that, too. I tend to think one big reason Joe got so into horror was because it was his way of trying to deal with his mom being sick and the specter of death hovering over their house...and now here she is literally dying as she rests right next to him. The fact that his response was to merely curl up with her, instead of freak out and run away, as many kids would likely do in that situation, shows how resigned he'd become to the fact that she would die soon. Which is heartbreaking. 

I got the vibe that Joe was willing to put up with the abuse for himself (not that he liked it, of course) until he saw the bruise on his aunt's wrist/upper arm :( So, yeah, can't say that I'm too torn up about the murder. But what was up with the horror-movie scream at the end from the aunt? Surely she doesn't believe that Joe did all of that by himself! 

Agreed that seeing his aunt hurt just further fueled his desire to retaliate. As for the ending, I don't know if it was so much that she was thinking Joe did this as it was just the sheer gruesomeness of the scene before her that had her reacting that way. 

The puppet lady show reminded me of a cross of Lamb Chop and Reading Rainbow, and Ms. Bookberry is probably every host of a children's show that has a foul attitude and a potty mouth in real-life. :/ (Daddy issues, too!) The Appraiser's Road Trip as a concept for a show cracked me up; it sounds like Pawn Stars. I screamed at Painter Guy and George not to run off alone; I was so worried that something was going to happen to George when he was by himself in the sound-booth.

I kept nervously watching that sound booth, too, especially when it was in the background. I was just waiting for something to spring out and attack. Thank goodness that didn't happen. 

I got a strong Reading Rainbow vibe off of Ms. Bookberry, too :D. And ha, yeah, I was like, "This portrayal seems awfully specific....". I feel like the writer had some kind of negative personal experience or something with a children's show host :p. Either that or they've heard a few horror stories of that sort, one of the two. 

There is that "Antiques Roadshow" series that's on PBS, I'm presuming the "Road Trip" show was a nod to that. Just like painter guy was meant to represent Bob Ross (and man, did he nail that portrayal) :D. 

....but, uh, the ending was quite unsettling, wasn't it, with those kids being traumatized/overtaken/possessed by everything that they saw on the live show. :/

Right? Here their parents sit them in front of the TV to watch this PBS channel, thinking, "It's PBS! They're educational! They're safe!" and then the kids wind up seeing all of...that :p. 

"Dead & Breakfast" - Hey, it's George Foyet from "Criminal Minds"! And what a surprise that a story involving him turned out as it did - he seems to have a bit of a thing for playing creepy characters. 

I feel like the story of this house was inspired a bit by a mix of the Lizzie Borden home (which I believe has been turned into a bed and breakfast, 'cause...why not?) and the Dorothea Puente case. I liked the idea that the house seemed to make people go crazy on some level, with Pam, and later, Sam, following in their grandma's footsteps. But the reveal at the end was pretty disturbing, too. 

And Morgue. First off, why the hell would one want to spend the night in Jeffrey Dahmer's old place? I get the fascination with true crime, but....ye gods, no way. Second, she was a lot bolder than I would be in that house, exploring all those secret passageways and such. I know she didn't believe the stories about the murders, but she was a bit wary of the owners, so that alone would've made me scared to go anywhere on my own. Shame she got killed, it would've been good to see her fight back and escape the madhouse. Even so, I liked this story the best of the two, because the other one...

"Pesticide" - ...ew. Bugs. Gross. Also, thanks for the gigantic spider image, people, really could've done without that D:. Mr. King was kind of a jerk, so...y'know, hard to have much sympathy for his end. Though that bit with Brenda and Murdoc was an unsettling way to end the episode, too...

• Love 1

"The Right Snuff" - Well, that backfired pretty spectacularly on Alex in the end, didn't it? And not just him, but the world as a whole. Good job, dude! I actually had to look away during the scene with Ted's death, that was...eesh. That poor reporter, accidentally showing that footage for all to see. Course, it probably looked comparatively tame to what the news would be showing shortly afterward.

"Sibling Rivalry" - This one was kinda fun :D. Some interesting twists and turns throughout, and I liked how they slowly revealed each new aspect of the story. Poor Ms. Porter, though, first she had to listen to Lola's rambling story (that whole part of the story was pretty funny, with Lola's random asides), and then she's trapped in her office by Lola and Andrew, and...yeah. Thinking it won't be long until they get everyone at that school. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Season 3, Episode 1, “Mums/Queen Bee”  Airdate: Thursday, September 23

“Mums” centers on a young boy named Jack (Brayden Benson). His mother is taken away from him, but Jack discovers more in the garden to remember her by than he expected. It also stars Ethan Embry, Erin Beute, Malone Thomas and Lowrey Brown.

"Queen Bee” Three teenagers, Debra (Hannah Kepple), Trenice (Olivia Hawthorne) and Carlos (Nico Gomez), who are obsessed with a popular singer named Regina (Kaelyn Gobert-Harris) break into a hospital to see their favorite singer give birth.  It also stars Monica Louwerens and Bruce Anthony.

• Love 1