Type keyword(s) to search

Favourite WKRP Moments: Watch For Falling Turkeys

I love the end of that episode, where everyone is back at the station talking about the day, and Les walks in with some pages and heads for the air studio. Andy asks where he's going and he says to do his newscast. Andy says, "Les, the transmitter blew up!" And Les answers, "I know, that's my lead story!"

• Love 1

So many episodes of this show had me laughing so hard.  Loved the above mentioned episodes--whenever we have problems with the phone, we say "you can't mess with Ma Bell!"

Another one that I found hysterical was the pink frog episode.  I can't even pick a scene from that one that I found funnier than the others. 

I love "The Consultant," where the crew all has to change personalities to go against what they are, and to play to what their stereotype is. Jennifer's the dumb blonde; Bailey is spacey (her Nestle's song is great); Herb and Carlson are competent. Just a fun episode.

• Love 5

I will be pulling out the DVDs to watch "Turkeys Away" tonight.  A Thanksgiving tradition in my household!  Such a funny, funny episode.  What's amazing was that this was only their 7th episode and it's a classic.  Probably the best episode of the series.  It must have taken a lot out of the cast/creators, since it was followed up by the awful "Love Returns" which is one of the worst episodes. 

I'll also be watching The Bob Newhart Show's "Over the River and Through the Woods" which is another holiday must. 

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving and your shopping malls don't get bombed with live turkeys. 

• Love 3

OK,  I'm going to buck the thread a bit and say one of my faves was the two parter 'Dr. Fever and Mr. Tide'. The rock vs. disco storyline may sound like it would be lame  in hindsight but Mr. Hesseman did an unexpectedly good job of how Johnny was getting more and more enticed to become everything he hated to the point of being willing to destroy who he really was. Also, Miss Anderson got a good moment to shine there as Jennifer used a revelation to try to pull Johnny back. Of course, I knew that the one-note villainess played by  the late Mary Frann would have no use for Johnny once she realized she couldn't use him. Oh, and it had a good amount of humor,too.

• Love 2

I agree- and I always wished that Tim Reid could have gone further. I liked "Frank's Place"  a great deal but I think I was one of the few who ever knew about it.

• Love 3

You are not the only one who appreciated "Frank's Place" Blergh! I loved it too!

Fun fact: prior to his gig on WKRP, Tim Reid toured the country as part of a comedy duo with his writing partner Tom Dreesen. They billed themselves as "Tim & Tom", and were the first interracial comedy duo. They collaborated on a memoir a few years ago (also called "Tim & Tom"), which is a fascinating account of their show biz adventures both together and after they amicably parted ways. Because they were an interracial team, they had some hair-raising scrapes while on the comedy circuit in the U.S.

One of the really interesting sections of the book talks about "Frank's Place". A great deal of care and thoughtfulness was put into the show during it's brief run: it was filmed on location in New Orleans, featured colourful locals as part of the cast, and had top notch writing. The show was met with universal critical acclaim, and won a truck load of awards for its high quality during its all-too-short run.

I had always assumed it was cancelled due to poor ratings. Not so. Apparently it was pulling in good ratings at the time of cancellation . When the show was yanked, no one was notified in advance, and the cast and crew were stunned. The real reason? One of the episodes featured a storyline that poked fun at corporate executives. One of the network big-wigs saw it, assumed this was meant as a direct attack on him, had a fit, and promptly shut the whole show down. Basically the show was cancelled because of some executive's monstrous ego.

I can only imagine how heart-breaking that must have been for Reid. He was simply too good for TV.

• Love 5

Cheezwiz,

That's a very interesting (and sad) turn of events. And I read some more on the subject and found out that the plug got pulled three DAYS before they were due to shoot an episode- with Sammy Davis, Jr[ of all folks]. I can't imagine Mr. Davis was happy having his own guest turn being yanked out from under him either.  Well, I hope Mr. Reid was able to make his peace with later doing the less deep  'Sister Sister' and that he used the monies for worthwhile purposes.

• Love 1

Blergh,

From what I understand, Tim Reid returned to his home state of Virginia, and set up a production company there with the intention of giving back to the community. I think he alternates that with various Hollywood gigs. Hopefully it's brought him some professional and personal contentment. I'll always be a big fan - both for his work on WKRP, and the intelligent interesting projects he had a hand in afterward.

• Love 1

A fave scene is not a funny one. It's when Arthur and and Evangelical Minister discuss Rock and Roll, specifically the lyrics to John Lennon's "Imagine". Interesting stuff in "Clean Up Radio Everywhere".

• Love 5

Favorite moments:

• when Les Nessman caught his first fly ball ever at the baseball game between WKRP and WPIG ("those SWINE")
  • when Venus and Johnny are taking an on-air sobriety test, and Johnny's reflexes improve with every drink. That episode ends with an amazing scene with the officer administering the test taking a huge pull from the bottle of booze they've been drinking, as Venus (in a funny hat) watches him and Johnny bellows into the mike, "LIGHT MY FIIIRE"
  • The robbery of the electronics store that WKRP is doing a live remote from (and the police only show up when the station calls them, because of course nobody else is listening)
  • the ghost story at the very end of the episode where Jennifer moves to a house in the suburbs
  • Love 2

I'm digging this up, but I started watching because it's on hulu. I barely remember this show because I was younger than 10 when it was on. I could name the main characters, and I knew about the turkeys, but that was really it. 

I'm surprised how not "sitcommy" the show is. I mean, there's wackiness, and it's a little of its time, but it's still entertaining and the some of the jokes hold up. 

I like how they played Les and Bailey as kind of geeky for laughs, even though that kind of character is actually cool now. 

There's a lot of really good running gags too. 

• Love 2

My cousin got to interview Richard Sanders (sometime after the show ended). He mentioned that it was his idea to always have tape or something else to indicate Les was injured. He felt that being a klutz was a funny character trait. 

• Love 1

That's a fantastic detail. 

I really liked how Fever got "headache powder" dissolved in his drink, but it was obviously cocaine. I wouldn't have known that obviously watching the show at 7 y/o.

I also noticed that Bailey has a rainbow sticker on her desk that I had in my bedroom as a kid. 

• Love 1

I'm continually impressed at the flexibility of this show and storylines. I'm up to the one where they did The Who concert where the people died. 

I also liked the episode Tim Reid wrote about going out with Andy's sister, and Andy having trouble with it. 

• Love 3

I just watched the S3 finale where the preacher guy tried to get the station to censor records. Andy was furious, as I would have been, but I was impressed by Arthur's nuanced approach to the issue. The scene with just him and the preacher going over the lyrics to Imagine was well done. There's still resonance from that today. 

• Love 6

The Gordon Sims episode has always been difficult for me to watch.  As a Vietnam era woman who saw a lot of friends and relatives live through that horror I remember being so shocked at how that episode played out, especially for a comedy show.  I loved Mr. Carlson's support and being Venus' "dad".  That was another groundbreaking episode for the times.

• Love 4

I really love this show and have been watching the ME TV episodes.(even though they've been really edited).  The last couple of nights they had the one where that sleazy photog got naked pics of Jennifer and the gang did everything to get them back...Today, that episode might have played up, they"lets see them" but it wasn't too much. It was the gang doing everything to protect her reputation. I also loved Bailey giving Andy a hard time on being a "beefcake". The show was just SO different than the common stereotypes today.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Today, that episode might have played up, they"lets see them" but it wasn't too much.

And (while only lasting a millisecond because of editing) I loved Johnny starting to peek and then closing the folder.  Even though he was alone and could have done it, he didn't.  Nice touch.

• Love 5

Lillian Carlson: [after Andy leaves, Mrs. Carlson tastes her coffee, and is pleasantly surprised] Why Hirsch, this coffee's delicious!

Hirsch: Uh-hm. That's because we were having a guest, Madam. When it's just you and me, I prepare it a little differently.

• Love 6

I am watching this on MeTV.  As I watched the first three seasons they all came back to me.  But the fourth season doesn't even seem familiar to me.   I have no idea why I stopped watching it.  Of course in those days you had to be home and in front of your tv when a show aired. So I'm not sure if my schedule changed, it was shown on another night or if another show that I preferred aired at the same time.  So it's nice watching this last season for the first time.

I have kept two shows on my DVR and am not deleting them -- Turkeys Away and Fish Story.  They are both classics.

I remember wanting to dress exactly like Bailey.  When I watch the show now her style does seem to be timeless.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

When I watch the show now her style does seem to be timeless.

Me, too! I look back fondly on those days (well, most of them) and enjoy seeing those clothes again.  Never had the figure for the ones that Jennifer wore but she had a blouse on the other night with a lace collar that I coveted!

I have save the turkey episode as well. I haul it out when I need a laugh.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I read somewhere that CBS kept rescheduling the show and its ratings tanked.

I seem to recall that but, let's face it, that was a lot of years ago.  However, I think my crush on Andy Travis led me to find the show wherever it landed.

Now i have a crush on Johnny Fever!

• Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't recognise the eps from the final season.  I read somewhere that CBS kept rescheduling the show and its ratings tanked.

I AM old enough to remember this (although I cant remember why I walked into this room) and they did move it around.

I don't recall which episodes were in which season, but I do recall the last one and Hirsh  opening the door to Johnny and then saying "Madam, your physician is here". somehow still cracks me up.

• Love 4

Last night Me-TV reran the "Hoodlum Rock" episode (featuring "Scum of the Earth"), among my favorites (even though I was into punk rock at the time). I like the line where Pievy explains that Scum asked him what time it was in the limo on the way to the station. When he said, "I don't know", Scum said "Well, that's it for him" and threw him from the car.

• Love 2
On 7/13/2018 at 12:48 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Lillian Carlson: [after Andy leaves, Mrs. Carlson tastes her coffee, and is pleasantly surprised] Why Hirsch, this coffee's delicious!

Hirsch: Uh-hm. That's because we were having a guest, Madam. When it's just you and me, I prepare it a little differently.

Mama Carlson:  "Where have you been?"  Hirsch:  "Mardi Gras, madam".   To this day, I sometimes still respond with that answer. 

On 8/7/2018 at 5:10 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Last night Me-TV reran the "Hoodlum Rock" episode (featuring "Scum of the Earth"), among my favorites (even though I was into punk rock at the time). I like the line where Pievy explains that Scum asked him what time it was in the limo on the way to the station. When he said, "I don't know", Scum said "Well, that's it for him" and threw him from the car.

"You're mama lives in Cincinnati?"  "Well, there's always a chance, isn't there?"

While there were a handful of episodes that I didn't like as much, I honestly don't know that I could pick a favorite.  However, the Pink Frog episode ranks up there near the top of my list. 

• Love 2
On 8/15/2018 at 5:35 PM, wallysmommy said:

My least favorite episode is the one where Andy's old girlfriend comes to Cincinnati.

YES. So dull, and even the music cues seemed different, IIRC. I notice there weren't a lot of Andy-centric episodes after that one, or at least not ones that had him isolated from the core cast. Another episode that always seemed tonally different to me was the Vicky Von Vickey one, although I don't think it falls flat in the same way, it's just...different.

I guess I don't need to explain my user name here...

• Love 5