Type keyword(s) to search

Community in The Media...(and a Movie?)!

Dan Harmon Apologizes in Detail to Community Writer Megan Ganz, Who Accepts His Apology

After engaging in a Twitter conversation with a former writer on Community, Dan Harmon has delivered a long, searching apology for his harassment of her, which she accepted and shared as an example of how to make things right. Earlier this month, the Community creator apologized to Megan Ganz, a writer on the show, for being “an awful boss and selfish baby” while running the show. By way of apology, Harmon later went into great detail on an episode of his podcast, describing how he pursued and harassed Ganz while they worked together. In the episode, starting about 18-and-a-half minutes in, Harmon describes feeling attracted to Ganz, who worked for him while he had a girlfriend, and refusing to confront his feelings. Eventually, he broke up with his girlfriend, and declared his love for Ganz, who both did not reciprocate and said his attention made it impossible to do her job well. After which, Harmon describes acting more resentful and vindictive toward Ganz, undermining her as a writer, and damaging his show in the process.

“I lost my job. I ruined my show. I betrayed the audience. I destroyed everything, and I damaged her internal compass,” Harmon added. “I moved on, and I never did it before and I’ll never do it again, but I certainly wouldn’t have been able to do it if I had any respect for women. On a fundamental level, I was thinking about them as different creatures. I was thinking about the ones that I liked as having some special role in my life. I did it all by not thinking about it.”

“I did it by not thinking about it, and I got away with it by not thinking about it. If she hadn’t mentioned something on Twitter, I would have continued to not have to think about it,” he said. He later noted, “If you don’t think about it, you’re going to get away with not thinking about it, and you can cause a lot of damage that is technically legal, and hurts everybody.”

I wish I could say I was surprised and reacted "Not Harmon too!" but I always thought the relationship he had with Ganz was weird whenever he would talk about it in interviews back in the day.

From Interview Magazine:
Gillian Jacobs talks to Alison Brie about the highs and lows of being an actor

Excerpts:

BRIE: I think about Community being so tumultuous, to say the least. But because we had been through [Community creator] Dan Harmon getting fired, rehired, the show getting cancelled, getting re-picked up, that we were all so exhausted, I think that we were all kind of ready for it to be over. Even though we loved each other, it always felt like the show was getting ripped out of our hands, versus something where people know in advance and have the time to finish it the right way.

JACOBS: I had never been exhausted like I was shooting Community, but then also just so passionately fighting for the show’s existence at all times. There is something nice, too, about having a show that is shorter. You tell this story, and then it’s done. Community was basically a live-action cartoon, so we’re not following the emotional life of those characters from episode to episode. Whereas with Love, the next episode would begin minutes after the previous one ended, so you’re charting it so carefully.

BRIE: What you think about the difference between Britta [Perry from Community], and Mickey [Dobbs from Love]? How was it playing those two characters?

JACOBS: It was weird. I don’t know how you felt when you started GLOW, but I felt such intense first-day jitters starting Love.

BRIE: Yeah, the stakes were much higher because I had a larger role on the show, and I wanted so badly to break out of the Annie character from Community that people so identified me with.

BRIE: I feel the same way. After college, I worked on Mad Men, and I thought, “I guess I’m just gonna do dramas.” In school, it’s Shakespeare, and you’re playing the ingénue roles, but they’re all very boring. [both laugh] But they feel important, and not knowing my identity yet as an actor, we got on the set of Community, and it felt like it would when I joked around with friends when I was 12 years old. My truest self was alive when we were all joking around between takes.

JACOBS: That was really the special thing about that group of people, was that I felt like I could make the weirdest, dumbest choice as an actor, and everyone would celebrate it. I had no background in comedy so I was intimidated when they would give me a physical bit or when I would have to sell a joke. I know it’s funny, but I don’t know how to deliver it, so I would just steal from everybody.

BRIE: Me too! We had so many funny people around us, and different types of funny. I’d steal from the bits people would do between takes, which is a stealthy kind of stealing because the audience isn’t always seeing it. It was like comedy boot camp. There wasn’t any punishment for going too far. It was the show’s magic. Tell me about Life of the Party.

• Love 3

Two of our Community alumni are nominated for Golden Globes!

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Alison Brie (“Glow”)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Donald Glover (“Atlanta”)

Crazy Rich Asians was also nominated in the Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy category, so although it's not specifically for Ken Jeong, I'm still going to say it counts!

• Love 2
On 12/7/2018 at 5:32 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Two of our Community alumni are nominated for Golden Globes!

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Alison Brie (“Glow”)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Donald Glover (“Atlanta”)

Crazy Rich Asians was also nominated in the Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy category, so although it's not specifically for Ken Jeong, I'm still going to say it counts!

At first I thought you were making a joke just because he's Asian, but then I discovered he's actually in the movie! Heh!

I'm sad that the cast aren't really doing shows that I'm interested in, but am glad to see them succeeding!