Type keyword(s) to search

Community in The Media...(and a Movie?)!

Why am I being geo-blocked??  I'm in the US!!

I have no idea why it wouldn't play for you, it worked fine for me here in the US?

Woohoo!

"I'm nobody's fourth Ghostbuster!"

I'm going to love Keith David on this show.

YES! So excited to see him, he was so great on Enlisted (*sniff*, R.I.P.) - and I'm also looking forward to Paget Brewster...

Two weeks from today, people!

• Love 1

Is it narrated by the guy that does the Honest Trailers on youtube?

Also, region blocked for me too, except I'm in Australia so I thought that was just normal.. although it means I probably won't be able to watch it through yahoo when it comes out.

I think season 5 started out strong, with "Cooperative Polygraphy" being one of the best the show has ever done. But then Harmon somehow totally forgot about the potentially interesting "Jeff as teacher" storyline and couldn't deal with the loss of Troy (and never was able to completely replace Pierce's influence on the group). There were also too many gimmick episodes after that, while the show would've needed more study room / character work and I don't think it ever recoverd from that mistake. If they can pick up where they started early in the season and correct those mistakes, maybe this can be good again. But at least we shall see soon.

• Love 1

New preview clip:

Okay so far. It feels like the old Community as do the characters(the ones we have left anyway). None of that kind of off feeling like in the "gas leak" season. Jeff is being Jeff, Abed is being Abed, Britta is being Britta(man she can't catch a break), and Annie is being Annie.

Edited by VCRTracking

After a rewatch, I didn't mind S4 as much as I thought I did... in comparison to S5 it was pretty decent. 

So, twitter is saying the first episode is in about 2 hrs? Why are yahoo 'airing' it at such a strange time? It's prime time for me (Australia) but probably no where else in the target demographic.

I knew it would be geo blocked, why did I try. It makes me so sad when I see tweets from the account "did you know Community is free to watch!!" if you're not geo blocked that is..

http://renewcanceltv.com/community-cancelled-at-yahoo-after-6-seasons-but-movie-still-planned/

Community Cancelled At Yahoo After 6 Seasons But Movie Still Planned

Community has been cancelled after six seasons, or at the very least put in indefinite limbo.

Series creator Dan Harmon confirmed to TVLine that the prospects of the show returning for a seventh season are remote and certainly less likely than a movie, which is still on the agenda.

Asked by Michael Ausiello whether the show is over, Harmon admitted:

“I’m not qualified to answer that, but I would guess yes [the show is over]. I think that given the actors trajectory that the likelihood of getting to sign on for another 13 episodes of a Yahoo series is less than the likelihood of getting them together for an awesome movie. I think that’s the easier thing to do, I think Yahoo feels the same way.

I think the strategy is to let these people be superstars for a year and then we get together for an incredible movie.”

RIP.

Not surprising, but they had a good run and I look forward to the movie.

• Love 1

Not surprising, but they had a good run and I look forward to the movie.

Me too (on the movie side of things) assuming the entire cast is part of it, not just the season 6/yahoo cast.

It's funny that after the cancellation at season 3 I was so disappointed it was finishing then and now, I'm so disappointed it didn't finish then.

It's not official yet, but here's McHale's take:

"All of our contracts were up after six years," he said. "All the actors on the show, almost without exception -- their stock has risen significantly and it's out of the pay rate that is affordable to make the show. So you're not going to be able to get Alison Brie or Gillian Jacobs at a normal television salary anymore. There is just not enough money to be able to pay for the show."

Despite McHale's comments, the fate of the show has yet to be determined by Sony, according to sources. Sony declined to comment.

Future at Yahoo is "bleak":

Dan Harmon, the show's creator, tells The Hollywood Reporter that Yahoo chief marketing officer Kathy Savitt having left last month to become president of digital at STX Entertainment means that the show is without its primary champion at the company, which could affect its chances of landing a seventh season.

Referring to Savitt as "our beloved benefactor," Harmon says of her departure: "I, of course, as a narcissist and a self-loathing person, when I read that [she was leaving Yahoo], I blamed myself. Like, I only know one thing that she did, and I think she got fired for it -- which was hire me."

Harmon admits that a seventh season currently seems less likely, now that Savitt is gone.

"That changing is a little bit of a dent in the optimism -- I'm trying to find out a way [to say it]," he says. "That makes it look a little more bleak just because before she was gone, she was the person that anyone could pick up the phone and say, 'Let's make this Community thing happen,' whatever it was, and she's the reason it would get done."

Edited by arc

I didn't even realise season 7 was still a possibility. I don't think I could watch another season without wondering why I was torturing myself. I'd be happy for a movie (with all the characters, not just the current set) to finish everything but think it's time to give up on more seasons.. #sixseasonsandamovie

I could be totally wrong, but I think Dan Harmon himself has to accept a large portion of the blame. 

He was great at coming up with a good show concept, and initially fleshing out the characters, but he pretty much ran season 6, and it sucked the most.

I think it's like those song writing teams, where one person will come up with a song, and the other person needs to take out the crap and fine tune it.

Dan Harmon seems to tend towards the dark side, and the people that liked Community liked the lighter side.  JMO

I thought S6 was great, but in any case even with traditional TV there's not that much correlation between quality and ratings. I would be much more inclined to blame Yahoo, which has had a huge problem for many years of turning "ratings" (page views and user interactions) into revenue, and in particular the Yahoo Screen user experience was horrendous.

I would be much more inclined to blame Yahoo, which has had a huge problem for many years of turning "ratings" (page views and user interactions) into revenue, and in particular the Yahoo Screen user experience was horrendous.

I agree.  I had a hard time watching Community on Yahoo Screen.  I gave up.  Plus, I kept forgetting that Community was on Yahoo.  I guess if it's not on the DVR, it doesn't exist. 

I still love this show, and I hope that S6 comes out on DVD (it was never on blu ray), so I can finally watch it. 

(Is it better to watch it on another platform like PS4?  I keep forgetting that I have one.)

(Is it better to watch it on another platform like PS4?  I keep forgetting that I have one.)

It would be, but as far as I know there is no Yahoo Screen app for PS4.  There is one for Xbox 360, wasn't one yet for the new Xbox One last year.  Also, Roku, Apple TV, iPad, and probably a few other platforms.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, that reminds me of three YS on Xbox issues I found: (1) the videos were up at midnight every week on the web version, but aside from the premiere, they wouldn't go up for X360 until the next day. Maddening.  (2) the UI for the X360 app was far worse than the already-bad regular web version. Finding old Community episodes was bad. And (3), whenever I did watch on 360, there were no ads. Ads were the only way Yahoo monetized their shows!!! Forgetting to add ads is like checking someone out at the grocery and forgetting to ask them to pay!

It would be, but as far as I know there is no Yahoo Screen app for PS4.  There is one for Xbox 360, wasn't one yet for the new Xbox One last year.  Also, Roku, Apple TV, iPad, and probably a few other platforms.

Thanks for the info about other platforms.  I'm not a gamer, so I opted to invest in one platform, PS4, because I heard mixed reviews for XBox One.  I think there were problems with download time and cloud storage(?). 

I do hope that S6 will be out soon.  According to Amazon UK, the UK will get S6 in March 2016.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XL9OXXC?keywords=community%20season%206&qid=1446222323&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Dan Harmon has a new show on the History Channel:

http://deadline.com/2016/02/history-late-night-comedy-block-dan-harmon-jack-black-sarah-silverman-1201704962/

I still think the failure of Yahoo's shows is in large part because their interface was HORRIBLE. I can stream off many other sites, but I had all kinds of hassle getting the show to play on Yahoo and it was so buggy that I gave up before I got through all the episodes.

• Love 1

Finally, Community S6 is on DVD. 

I still think the failure of Yahoo's shows is in large part because their interface was HORRIBLE. I can stream off many other sites, but I had all kinds of hassle getting the show to play on Yahoo and it was so buggy that I gave up before I got through all the episodes.

I love Community, but I gave up too.