Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
BetterButter

The War of the Worlds

Oh there's another one. Did Colonel Ironhorse and his generation forget about this one like they did 1953 and 1938?

It's Demelza Poldark!  I had no idea anyone was doing a new adaption of this but I'll definitely check it out. 

Anyone watched this? Hello?

I was really enjoying the first episode - it's set in Edwardian England, and though there are a couple of slip-ups, it's mostly accurate - until I realised the following, which I'm putting in spoiler space:

Spoiler

This is a doubled narrative, with the intro and attack timeline presented side by side with a timeline about 8 years later, judging by the age of a character who's a spoiler. And that puts me off even bothering with the second episode. Crap.

I'm going to try the other War of the Worlds, now.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, Raja said:

Oh there's another one. Did Colonel Ironhorse and his generation forget about this one like they did 1953 and 1938?

Heros and Icons channel has started to play the 1980's version on Sunday evenings. wasn't that show somewhat controversial at the time?

• Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Heros and Icons channel has started to play the 1980's version on Sunday evenings. wasn't that show somewhat controversial at the time?

Pre internet I don't remember a controversy, like a lot of genre shows of that time War of the Worlds had soft reboots after every season so besides the breakout actor the last episode rarely looked like world of the pilot. By the end with Colonel Ironhorse killed off, maybe a black doctor, a show becoming more white would mark it today.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 1:38 PM, Raja said:

Pre internet I don't remember a controversy, like a lot of genre shows of that time War of the Worlds had soft reboots after every season so besides the breakout actor the last episode rarely looked like world of the pilot. By the end with Colonel Ironhorse killed off, maybe a black doctor, a show becoming more white would mark it today.

If memory serves, the violence and them showing the aliens dissolving into goo when they died was a big thing. In last night's ep, for example, a threesome possessed members of a prison hockey team and one of them tore a man's arm off while practicing for a match and threw it across the rink. Funny enough, the producer who changed the show in the second season also produced the Friday the 13th TV series, which also had a lot of gore and violence.

I gave it an hour and it seemed like it was just spreading what two movies were able to tell in 2 hours into something too long since I already know the story 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, OldButHappy said:

Anyone watching the Epic reboot? I'm really liking it, so far....

I've watched four episodes. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, OldButHappy said:

Anyone watching the Epic reboot? I'm really liking it, so far....

We watched all 8 episodes.  The premise is pretty interesting, but the French-with-English subtitles drove us crazy.  I literally had to get off the couch, put my glasses on and sit in front of the tv and read them out to hub (whose eyesight isn't too great).  It wouldn't have been so bad if they kept the subtitles up a bit longer and they weren't miniscule white font.  They had these long sentences up for no more than a blink of an eye. 

On a more shallow note - Elizabeth McGovern did not age well

• Laugh 1

I thought it was scary and I liked the atmospheric feel, but the finale was such a let-down - mostly b/c I thought this was a one-season show and I expected something huge to happen.  But, in retrospect, it seems, well, kind of s-l-o-w...