Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: A Kiss Is Just a Kiss

Pallas
  • Start Topic

The retcon started when Sarah Chalke assumed the role in the original series; Darlene treated New Coke Becky like an airheaded bimbo, when Original Recipe Becky was neither.  Having established in the revival and this continuation series that Becky engaged in numerous one-night stands and short casual sexual relationships following Mark's death (and up until her pregnancy), they've also - and via comments by characters in addition to Darlene - made several explicit references to so-called slutty behavior well into Becky's past, when we know that's not true.

Maybe because it's Lecy back in the role, but it doesn't bother me as much as it did the first time around.  I think I've just accepted I have to roll with it as one way in which the characterization in general is much broader, and not always accurate, this time around.  (Except for jokes recasting adults abusing their authority over the minors under their care and control as "ha ha, slutty girls kissing their teachers" - that will always bother me.)

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, peacheslatour said:

David didn't know about Jimmy until Jackie ratted her out about seeing her car outside the No Tell Motel.

Yes, he did.  Roseanne thought Darlene and David had been at the hotel.  Darlene told Roseanne she had been with Jimmy at the hotel, and David told Roseanne he already knew about Jimmy.

I am wondering if they are going to bother with any explanation as to why or how David left Darlene and Harris when Darlene was pregnant with Mark.

It would be interesting to see some therapy sessions because so far all I'm getting from Darlene is she is having a hard time deciding between Ben and David.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Both Roseanne S10 and The Conners S1 the explanation of David leaving A pregnant Darlene and a 5 year-old Harris, is because of Mark’s death. Mark being gone impacted David because he lost his only family that cared about him. That must have had a done a heavy emotional impact on David who already had issues with having  an abusive upbringing.

I know that.  I mean a more-in-depth explanation.  Something that might give some indication for why Darlene is willing to give David another chance.  Originally, it was implied that David kept returning then bailing again, and Darlene eventually told David they couldn't keep doing this to the kids.  Yet, here they are again.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Okay, good. I am sooo happy you shared this with us and that you feel this way.

I watch a lot of TV. A lot. However, off the top of my head, I cannot list where I have seen this before, several times. I will try to remember. I watched Boy Erased two months ago, which was heartbreaking. My sister’s son has been out since he was about 13? But he grew up in San Francisco, so maybe that is affecting my perception? My son campaigned for student council last week. He advocated for all minorities: Latinos, African Americans, Asian Americans, LGTBQ, physically disabled, autistic, etc. He specifically said he wants to eradicate the word gay as a slur (some of his classmates are guilty of this). 

The str8 crush/cheating is old to me, too. (I watch too much TV!)

Finally remembered. A Million Little Things. Danny’s crush-interest did something similar to Mark’s. 

There are more.  Will keep trying to remember.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Okay, good. I am sooo happy you shared this with us and that you feel this way.

I watch a lot of TV. A lot. However, off the top of my head, I cannot list where I have seen this before, several times. I will try to remember. I watched Boy Erased two months ago, which was heartbreaking. My sister’s son has been out since he was about 13? But he grew up in San Francisco, so maybe that is affecting my perception? My son campaigned for student council last week. He advocated for all minorities: Latinos, African Americans, Asian Americans, LGTBQ, physically disabled, autistic, etc. He specifically said he wants to eradicate the word gay as a slur (some of his classmates are guilty of this). 

The str8 crush/cheating is old to me, too. (I watch too much TV!)

I finally remembered another portrayal. In A Million Little Things, Delilah’s son Danny has a boyfriend whose family cannot handle it, so he betrays/humiliates Danny. But I will keep trying to remember additional portrayals.