Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Birthday Party

• Start Topic

For those who don’t want to wait until tonight, Showtime makes these episodes ready to view at 12:01 am on Sunday.  I.ve already watched, but will refrain from commenting until others have seen it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

That was some dramatic ending that Showtime posted already on Sunday morning on Twitter saying things are getting complicated. I do not mind spoilers but to post the ending to an episode with that tagline is an odd way to market the show.  

Theodore was great though his eyes went into shock.  He is only 22 and is French I mean he speaks English so well. He is good. 

At least Mirta may finally go to rehab to get help so one good thing happened. Other then that I'll finish the Season but I think I'm out. I don't know what to think except I was right this is more of a Drama show now. 

Roger leaving Cody's gun was interesting and will see if Cody figures it out.  Still now we have Obie's enemy maybe showing up now. The battle of the cult pyramid schemes. 

Ernie is gone. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Ernie is gone. 

I feel bad for his wife, she is the most sympathetic person on this show.

Why was Krystal crying at the end? I hope she didn't get sucked into that mumbo jumbo. Is that the boat guy's wife and daughter they showed? I don't see previews since I watch it online so I don't know any spoilers.

• Love 4

You know, if your asked to walk into a giant fake womb, its probably either an interactive modern art show, or its a cult, and I am definitely going with cult. I hope that Krystal doesent end up getting sucked into Mrs. FAMs creepy womb based FAM side hustle, she seemed like she was actually getting pretty emotional near the end and was actually listening to the crazy tapes. 

Krystal and her boss talking on the carousel is kind of this show in a nutshell. Something that is supposed to be happy and fun but becomes sad and foreboding in the context, much like how FAM is full of big peppy rallies and "success" stories but is really a bleak and empty cult that sucks its members dry. 

Like with Ernie and Bet, its so sad seeing Ernie sucked further and further down the rabbit hole, while Bet can only watch in horror. Its clear that to Ernie, FAM isnt just a way to make money, its a community, a way to give back, its a purpose, and a way to deal with his depression. If the poor guy just knew a better way to manage his hurt, this could have probably been avoided. 

Was Cody serious about creating a water park accident to hurt a kid? He is so far gone that he really will do anything for Obie and his greater goals, but doesent really have the competence to back it up, hence leaving his personalized gun behind after he sabotaged the other rally! So now he knows that Krystal is working against him, and it seems like he and Krystal will be working against each other while pretending that everything is fine. 

Is there anything more cringy than DJ Grandma?

• Love 5

she seemed like she was actually getting pretty emotional near the end and was actually listening to the crazy tapes. 

I thought she was listening to the recording she made of her conversation with Louise Garbeau.

This show is just so damn bizarre. But the longer it goes on the more pointless it seems. The characters are compelling and I love the cast but the story just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

• Love 8

Krystal should take the job offer.  

The Garbeux are bad, manipulative people, but she’s offering a part of the payroll. Real money, real chance at advancement.  It may all be bullshit, but she and Destinee aren’t in a position to pass up a job that, if she’s smart and careful, might lead to something bigger. 

Cody’s in an interesting position.  He has his love of Obie, but I think he’s in love with Krystal, too.  And he’s a virginal kid and she has sex with him.  I think his loyalties will be actually divided.  

• Love 2

I'm guessing by the very few comments, the general consensus is this episode was a dud. And I would agree. As if it wasn't already on shaky ground, this show definitely jumped the shark with the ball-pit womb. How disappointing.

It felt like a wheel-spinner episode, certainly. I hate to bang an old drum, but there's a reason prestige/faux-tige series like this don't often stretch past 8 eps a year.  The last couple weeks have reminded me of The Leftovers in its first season, dragging out particular sensationalistic elements of the show to gin up intrigue and atmosphere, and letting actual plot development slow to a trickle.  I mean, unless Sharon Lawrence's womb tomb is really going to move us toward Obie's death Krystal's full FAM reckoning, we don't have to spend 15 minutes on it.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, whiporee said:

Cody’s in an interesting position.  He has his love of Obie, but I think he’s in love with Krystal, too.  And he’s a virginal kid and she has sex with him.  I think his loyalties will be actually divided.  

We'll get to see if he has more mommy issues than daddy issues (if he chooses Krystal over Obie II.)

• Love 1