Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Fantastica Voyage

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Man, this show has gone flat.

I know they were trying to show Bull’s dawning self-awareness (and bullheadedness) but I wonder if things would have been different if the woman fraudster had been an unattractive older woman? I’m not suggesting there was any flirting because there wasn’t any. I also only partially ask that given Weatherly’s reputation. Still, I wonder.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I fell asleep. I'm guessing she was acquitted?

No, not acquitted.  It was a mistrial.  The retrial was scheduled for 7 months later.  Bull figured that she'll either accomplish her goal by then, thereby making another trial unnecessary, or she won't, and the fraud charges would likely stick.  One of the jurors approached her after the trial because he wants to help with her project.  He was the one who had passed on the "selling books on the internet" scheme, aka Amazon, and wished he could do it over again.  I guess he sees this as his chance to have a do-over.

19 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

No, not acquitted.  It was a mistrial.  The retrial was scheduled for 7 months later.  Bull figured that she'll either accomplish her goal by then, thereby making another trial unnecessary, or she won't, and the fraud charges would likely stick.  One of the jurors approached her after the trial because he wants to help with her project.  He was the one who had passed on the "selling books on the internet" scheme, aka Amazon, and wished he could do it over again.  I guess he sees this as his chance to have a do-over.

Thank you, zoey1996!

And thankfully there was no HIMYM bumper of Bull's future daughter summing up the client of the week while enjoying a tall glass of refreshing fancy filtered swamp water.

But Bull being told on the courthouse steps that he was so, so, so very handsome by his client was juuuuuuuust a little much.  Was that line in there to boost Michael Weatherly's ego, or Dr. Phil's?

• LOL 3

This show hijacked the Theranos story even down to the black wardrobe for her speech. Elizabeth Holmes is going on trial next year so we will at least know how that story ends. 

It is unlikely that Dr. Bull or Dr. Phil experience any moments of self-doubt.

Edited by Showthyme

I may be in the minority but I thought this episode was a marked improvement over last week's. At least it had a good resolution that challenged the defendant and tied together the string of the conservative investor juror who was highlighted during voir dire. And the actress playing the defendant was good.

My one quibble? No way Chunk would have gotten into an NYC dorm by himself. I guess we can speculate that another student let him in, but security is tight at even non-city college buildings these days.

And I suppose we're meant to be tantalized by "what is Chunk's daughter's problem?" the same way we're supposed to be curious about "what did the doctor tell Marissa's husband?" But honestly, by the time they get back to these storylines, I will have forgotten about them.

More Dani and Taylor please. Two characters I like and we barely see them. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

One of the jurors approached her after the trial because he wants to help with her project.  He was the one who had passed on the "selling books on the internet" scheme, aka Amazon, and wished he could do it over again. 

And what do you bet that he was the lone holdout on the jury? 

I don't know if Bull and Benny are correct in saying that there's no conflict with his investing, but it sure stinks to me.  Of course, if a Supreme Court justice can stay free at a resort after making a decision in a court case involving the owner, what's a little collusion at this level?

On a side note:  The tech guy for the company stated that the filter would work at rates up to 470 gallons per second.  So, if you flowed, say, 425 gps through the filter, it would work, I assume.  That works out to almost 37 million gallons per 24 hour day.  And that's through one filter.  It would seem that her filter could indeed provide enough drinking water for small to medium size cities.

20 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

And I suppose we're meant to be tantalized by "what is Chunk's daughter's problem?" the same way we're supposed to be curious about "what did the doctor tell Marissa's husband?" But honestly, by the time they get back to these storylines, I will have forgotten about them.

I just assumed she was in the room banging her boy(or girl)friend. Locked door, no answer to knocking, music playing? Occam's Razor. 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 1:42 PM, Showthyme said:

This show hijacked the Theranos story even down to the black wardrobe for her speech. Elizabeth Holmes is going on trial next year so we will at least know how that story ends. 

It is unlikely that Dr. Bull or Dr. Phil experience any moments of self-doubt.

Agreed.  I had the same thought as above -- this woman convinced older men of her "brilliant idea" which had been debunked by the extremely knowledgeable scientist.  It so reminded me of Elizabeth (who I knew quite well when she was growing up) and it really infuriated me to see in action.  The wealthy, older juror who fell for the attractive defendant's act was a direct likeness to what Elizabeth did, over and over.  I was hoping Bull would see through it, but nope.  If she were an older, frumpy woman, the outcome would have been very different, I am 100% positive and that's sickening,

3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:
Edited by MerBearHou
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

If she were an older, frumpy woman, the outcome would have been very different, I am 100% positive and that's sickening,

As an older, frumpy woman, I was recently passed over for a position that was given to a young, gorgeous woman. Unfortunately, that is just how it works.

I don't know what was more irritating: this woman's ability to tell a story or attacking the whistle blower. Whistle blowers are rarely blameless because they hold the secret until it no longer works for them. I don't mind if they end up with some kind of compensation because no one likes a snitch and future employers/public will hold it against them on some level.

What happened to this show?  I didn't enjoy this week's (or last week's) episode.  Did they change writers?  Showrunners?  Or do they just not care anymore? Speaking of caring.......I don't care about Chunk's daughter's story.

Someone up thread was wondering what the doctor was going to tell Marissa's husband.   My memory sometimes plays tricks on me but I seem to remember Marissa claimed to change her mind about wanting to have a baby because her husband had a low or non-existent sperm count and she didn't want him to feel bad so she didn't tell him.    Does anyone else remember that happening or am  I making stuff up again? LOL

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2019 at 2:34 PM, AnnA said:

Someone up thread was wondering what the doctor was going to tell Marissa's husband.   My memory sometimes plays tricks on me but I seem to remember Marissa claimed to change her mind about wanting to have a baby because her husband had a low or non-existent sperm count and she didn't want him to feel bad so she didn't tell him.    Does anyone else remember that happening or am  I making stuff up again? LOL

I remember the same thing, that did happen.

• Love 1

Here's where I think I checked out of this show for good:

Riding in their cab/Uber/whatever, Benny makes a wistful observation about how Bull and the defendant both feel so passionately about outcomes that they cannot be persuaded otherwise, and how that's one of the things he loves about Bull.

Except that it's actually one of the multitude of reasons he punched Bull and quit his job. It's somethings specifically asked Bull to correct in last week's episode as a sign of respect to him, to consider returning to work.

Not that the supporting cast has ever been super well-developed, but come on. That's the kind of week-by-week WTF characterization of a supporting player typically seen on late-season Law & Order: SVU.

Elizabeth Alderfer, who played the defendant, was terrific on season two of A.P. Bio. Was pleased to see her pop up on another series, even for what's presumably a one-off.