Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E04: The Blind Auditions, Part 4

• Start Topic

Airs October 1, 2019

Coaches Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, John Legend and Blake Shelton vie to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon on the fourth night of blind auditions.

Good lord, who was more embarrassing, Kelly or Gwen, especially with the last contestant (14-year-old boy)?  Come on, ladies, tone it down--it's "The Voice," not "The Judges".  Have a little decorum, will you?

• Love 4

I'm done until the actual competition starts. Gwen adds NOTHING to this show and just makes Blake look weak. Kelly is already over the top and Gwen makes her more so. The fake fighting between Adam and Blake was stupid and overdone years ago, but I would almost rather they come back than watch Gwen, who thinks she is just so darn cute, try to play fight with Blakey. And, sorry, John Legend (who I do like), Blake and Gwen are NOT America's Favorite Couple. 

• Love 5

Oh, John ... I loved that 14 year old boy ... maybe he’s a little young but help him be the best he can be!

Years ago Riley Elmore was on. I still check online for him. Love him too. 😁

• Love 2

I’m bad with names so forgive me. 

The man with a 1000 names plus this 14 year old boy ... no matter who they are up against in the Battles ... won’t all 4 people be at a disadvantage?   

The blending of different styles would only compromise their voice/style.  

Ugh, I hate the way I post.  Can someone tell me what I’m trying to say? 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

To Help keep track (since the show is doing us no favors this season), here are the teams as they stand right now. If they made zero impression, they got the dreaded Question Mark:

Team Blake

Cali Jones-lesbian, kickboxing country hopeful

Corey Jackson-deep voiced, country singer w/ a little Musical Theatre vibe mixed in

Jordan Chase-19 year old, long haired southern soul singer displaced by Hurricane Katrina

Josie Jones-traditional country teen from small town Alabama. Likes fishing, not particularly good at it

Kat Hammock-wispy voiced teen in the Dia Frampton lane. Got Team Blake's only pair of misspelled Waders

Marina Chello-once upon time P. Diddy Bad Boy Entertainment signee hoping for a comeback

Team Gwen

Calvin Lockett-smooth singing R&B artist, struggled between his Gospel background and singing secular music before auditioning for the Voice

Elize Azkoul-?

Jake Haldenvang-long haired rocker

James Violet-Introverted singer-songwriter from Utah, gave busking a go for a couple of years in LA but it ended badly

Kiara Brown-indie, singer-songwriter-y artist from Las Vegas. Put a chill twist on Tom Petty's Free Fallin

Kyndal Inskeep-?

Rose Short-couldn't get John Legend to turn on his own song, did get a turn from Gwen though

Royce Lovett-Reggae/R&B fusion artist seemed tailor-made for Team Gwen from the first few notes..

Team John

Dane & Stephanie-twin harmony act w/ Dane having already transitioned from Dana

Katie Kadan-

Marybeth Byrd-4 chair turn (w/ a Blake being blocked by Kelly), pretty spot on rendition of Angel of Montgomery

Max Boyle-Who?

Mendeleyev-true hippie spawn (with like 10 middle names to prove it), very interesting voice with serious control over his low register

Preston Howell-14 year old crooner (Isn't there always?) from Miami

Will Breman-Who?

Team Kelly

Alex Guthrie-one of the plethora of WGWG's this season. From what I recall, felt freeflowing and loose...like a jam band singer

Brennan Lassiter-on first glance, a pretty country princess. But her voice has some edge and weight to it.

Hello Sunday-27 year old (combined) duo, a little bit of all over the place manic energy. If it could be harnessed, they might be factor on Kelly's team

Injoy Fountain- commanding take on an Ariana Grande song. Kelly wanted her from note 1

Jake Hoot-rare country artist Blake did not turn for. Was his team full at that point? Or more a verdict on Jake's somewhat pinched, higher voice than a guy of his size might be expected to have

Melinda-trained jazz singer from Miami

Shane Q-visually a reminder of the late stand-up comic Ralphie May (r.i.p.). Definitely had a voice than could straddle a few diffferent genres and types of songs.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I burned out on this show last year because it just never goes away; how can I miss you show if you never leave?  But since I have nothing else to watch, I tuned in last night and it was eek, bad. 

So, now playing the role of Adam Levine, we have Kelly Clarkson, who I really do like, but has somehow dialed up her already overly-exuberant personality to a 10+++ and it is a lot.  The over-the-top hysterics over Gwen's (stupid) comment about how she can relate to being a 19 year old boy was too much.  It was not THAT funny, Kelly.  Same goes for the the Deliverance reference she made about Blake and wanting to go out to the woods with that guy.  It wasn't funny, Kelly.  You're the only one laughing about it.

Gwen, who I also like, was just full on cringe.  I totally get second hand embarrassment for her when I see her on this show.  And when she jumped up and broke out into song "Sisters.........." right in the middle of John's pitch to the 14-year old, eek.  I wanted to crawl under my couch I was so embarrassed for her. 

You know those two are a mess when John Legend; who is married to Chrissy friggin' Teigen, who is A LOT, is just cringing his way through the show and looking like he can't figure out how he ended up there, with them. 

And Blake is just Blake.  The End.

As far as the contestants go, I could totally do without the sob story montages and just watch the people sing.  I don't need to know anything at all about any of them other than whether or not they can sing.  I feel bad for all of the people who never make it on to these shows because they don't have a tragic back story to share.  And this show never used to be this way, that was American Idol's thing, The Voice used to just be about The Voice. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

As far as the contestants go, I could totally do without the sob story montages and just watch the people sing. 

This is why I watch it in delay, so I can fast forward.  I watch the singing only, and glean which judge was chosen based on who the singer hugs at the end.

• Love 7

Preston C. Howell was the first audition that I actually replayed, it was that good. (I admit one of my earlier season favorites also used Dream a Little Dream in her audition) And thank you, Show, for revealing his appearance and backstory only after he started singing.

His dancing might help in the battles/knockouts, whatever it is where the song choice is likely to be outside his genre.

4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

So, now playing the role of Adam Levine, we have Kelly Clarkson, who I really do like, but has somehow dialed up her already overly-exuberant personality to a 10+++ and it is a lot.  The over-the-top hysterics over Gwen's (stupid) comment about how she can relate to being a 19 year old boy was too much.  It was not THAT funny, Kelly.  Same goes for the the Deliverance reference she made about Blake and wanting to go out to the woods with that guy.  It wasn't funny, Kelly.  You're the only one laughing about it.

Yes, and she even referred to inheriting Adam's role of dragging on Blake. I'm like, Use that self-awareness, Kelly, and choose to be awesome instead!

Not only is it annoying how she interrupts the other coaches and mocks them, but I really feel for the contestants on stage. They're about to get compliments or comments by people they respect and admire, and then it's all hijacked by Kelly hogging the spotlight in a disastrous attempt to be funny.

The Deliverance reference was unpleasant, didn't need to take it there. Also hypocritical given some of the comments Kelly's made to contestants.

Gwen fell back to one of her old, lame pitches "I can mother you..." That was a cringeworthy moment. You were doing so well, Gwen! I did think it was cute when she did the finger-crooking thing that Blake does.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

To Help keep track (since the show is doing us no favors this season), here are the teams as they stand right now. If they made zero impression, they got the dreaded Question Mark:

Team Blake

Cali Jones-lesbian, kickboxing country hopeful

Corey Jackson-deep voiced, country singer w/ a little Musical Theatre vibe mixed in

Jordan Chase-19 year old, long haired southern soul singer displaced by Hurricane Katrina

Josie Jones-traditional country teen from small town Alabama. Likes fishing, not particularly good at it

Kat Hammock-wispy voiced teen in the Dia Frampton lane. Got Team Blake's only pair of misspelled Waders

Marina Chello-once upon time P. Diddy Bad Boy Entertainment signee hoping for a comeback

Team Gwen

Calvin Lockett-smooth singing R&B artist, struggled between his Gospel background and singing secular music before auditioning for the Voice

Elize Azkoul-?

Jake Haldenvang-long haired rocker

James Violet-Introverted singer-songwriter from Utah, gave busking a go for a couple of years in LA but it ended badly

Kiara Brown-indie, singer-songwriter-y artist from Las Vegas. Put a chill twist on Tom Petty's Free Fallin

Kyndal Inskeep-?

Rose Short-couldn't get John Legend to turn on his own song, did get a turn from Gwen though

Royce Lovett-Reggae/R&B fusion artist seemed tailor-made for Team Gwen from the first few notes..

Team John

Dane & Stephanie-twin harmony act w/ Dane having already transitioned from Dana

Katie Kadan-

Marybeth Byrd-4 chair turn (w/ a Blake being blocked by Kelly), pretty spot on rendition of Angel of Montgomery

Max Boyle-Who?

Mendeleyev-true hippie spawn (with like 10 middle names to prove it), very interesting voice with serious control over his low register

Preston Howell-14 year old crooner (Isn't there always?) from Miami

Will Breman-Who?

Team Kelly

Alex Guthrie-one of the plethora of WGWG's this season. From what I recall, felt freeflowing and loose...like a jam band singer

Brennan Lassiter-on first glance, a pretty country princess. But her voice has some edge and weight to it.

Hello Sunday-27 year old (combined) duo, a little bit of all over the place manic energy. If it could be harnessed, they might be factor on Kelly's team

Injoy Fountain- commanding take on an Ariana Grande song. Kelly wanted her from note 1

Jake Hoot-rare country artist Blake did not turn for. Was his team full at that point? Or more a verdict on Jake's somewhat pinched, higher voice than a guy of his size might be expected to have

Melinda-trained jazz singer from Miami

Shane Q-visually a reminder of the late stand-up comic Ralphie May (r.i.p.). Definitely had a voice than could straddle a few diffferent genres and types of songs.

Edited 5 hours ago by PhD-Purgatory15

Thanks for this.  It's not my imagination, they really do seem to be moving at a faster pace this season.  Hopefully, that means they can avoid the montages, which are REALLY unfair to the singer.

5 hours ago, Cementhead said:

As far as the contestants go, I could totally do without the sob story montages and just watch the people sing.  I don't need to know anything at all about any of them other than whether or not they can sing.  I feel bad for all of the people who never make it on to these shows because they don't have a tragic back story to share.  And this show never used to be this way, that was American Idol's thing, The Voice used to just be about The Voice. 

Yes, I would really like it if they had less episodes of the blind auditions - no backstory and just singing.  If they want us to "get to know" the contestants they can give us slightly more information in the next rounds (along with a 5 to 10 second clip of their audition song.)  While I get that the only reason the guest mentors are on is screen time (and they can still keep giving them feedback), we really don't need to see the singers rehearse - we need less repetition of the song - and FAR less of the coaches going "I don't know who I'm going to pick."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Yes, I would really like it if they had less episodes of the blind auditions - no backstory and just singing.  If they want us to "get to know" the contestants they can give us slightly more information in the next rounds (along with a 5 to 10 second clip of their audition song.

That makes too much sense, though.  And...they have to fill two hours somehow.

Edited by Babalooie
changed a word
9 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Thank you for putting together the list :-)

I really, really hate it when the coaches talk over the other coaches. Please Stop!

Gwen's pitch is weak, she always talks about helping them with their personality and stage presence. But her saying "I can mother you" is just weird. I would never pick her.

John has some good singers on his team.

If I had to pick a coach it would be Blake. He gets his team to the finale.

How many more episodes of the Blinds are left?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Elize Azkoul-?

Kyndal Inskeep-?

Team John

Will Breman-Who?

Elize Azkoul is the Lebanese-American whose grandfather wrote Last Dance and It's Raining Men.

(I think she said it was her grandfather, although that was disco producer Paul Jabara and he was a gay man who died of AIDS at a relatively young age.)

Kyndal Inskeep was the Nashville nanny who sang Never Been to Spain.

Will Breman was the guy that did the Ordinary People duet with John.

• Useful 1